Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The other one
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 7:45 PM Last edited by missroxor : 23rd Jul 2011 at 7:23 AM. Reason: updates
Default Make Me a Model! - Winner Announced!
Note to Beeps: I competed in the 2010 Foundations contest to the very end. (just in case you need to verify my eligability)

Foreword

As you probably already know, some very talented people out there in the simming community recently unlocked the secrets of making poses which then inspired other talented creators to make pose packs, Yay! In celebration I decided to host a contest aimed at showcasing some of these new poses. I’ve tried to keep it quite simple, after all it’s still early days for pose sets so there’s still a limited amount of good ones.

Introduction

You must create a Y/A sim (male or female) who will be your model for the duration of the contest. Your initial objective is to create a portfolio to impress Bridgeport’s number one modeling agency so that they will hire you for further jobs. Achieve this and you can start to gain experience and hopefully one day get your big break.

Rules

1. Forum rules apply.
2. Sims 3 only
3. There will be no eliminations if we have less than 15 contestants. If we have much more than 15 I may have to consider eliminations.
4. Minimal photoshopping for adding borders and text to images. You are not permitted to photoshop the sims or backgrounds except to adjust brightness/contrast of the overall image if needed (unless otherwise stated).
5. All images should be labeled (even if it’s just written above the picture in your post) with the title of the assignment. Eg “Portfolio Head Shot”
6. One entry is allowed per person. Round 1 counts as your application round.
7. Young Adult male and female Sims of the human variety are allowed. The sim should be your own work and should not have been used in prior contests.
8. You may use other models in your images to set a scene but your model should be the main focus.
9. CC is allowed.
10. You may only post the amount of pics that are specified for each round, however you can post a link to additional pics on photo-bucket or a similar image hosting site if you’d like to show more of your work but judges will not take those into account when grading.
11.You should try to set your theme not just through pose/expression but through all the elements of your image such as light, colour and set design or composition. For this reason greyscale is allowed but bear in mind that it may not be appropriate for every theme/image while in other cases it may help set the mood…it’s up to you to decide when to use it. The only exception is that you can’t use greyscale for the initial headshot image requested in the application round.
12. By request I created a more in-depth guide to what is and isn't allowed in Photoshopping. Find it here

Prizes

Currently there are no prizes available, it’s just for fun. Any judges wishing to donate a prize please PM me.

Rounds

Round 1 - The Portfolio - Closed - Scores Posted: Part1 & Part2
Round 2 – Your First Job - Closed - Scores Posted: Part1 & Part 2
Round 3 - On the Catwalk - Closed - Scores Posted
Round 4 - Your Big Break - Closed - Scores Posted: Part 1 & Part 2

Extensions are possible in which case dates may be altered but they will not be shortened; each round will last a minimum of one week. I will try when possible to close one round and open another at the same time each week: 2100 PDT.

Contestants
(Minimum of 10 Required)

Astraea Nevermore R1 - R2 - R3 - R4
ngluvjj R1 - R2 - R3 - R4
Sisaly R1 - R2 - R3 - R4
LadyAwesome (aka kaylarox) R1 - R2 - R3 - R4
nhayes17 R1 - R2 - R3 - R4
Shadow_Girl R1 - R2 - R3 - R4
Traelia R1 - R2 - R3 - R4
laughingtoleave R1 - R2 - R3 - R4
ChloroformDreams R1 - R2 - R3 - R4

DropOuts
Cruzy R1
ebec17 R1 - R2
Misanthrope R1 - R2
happymintchocolate R1 - R2
KieraLou R1 - R2
picass0blue R1 - R2 - R3
alissaya R1 - R2 - R3

Judges

1. Wicked_poppies
2. Sandymdh
3. Lavaster

Emergency Judges
(PM me or post a comment if you’re interested)

1. heaven_sent_8_18
2. missroxor

Judging Parameters

Pose (Does the chosen pose fit the theme/emotion of the image?)
Creativity (beauty, originality, image layout, use of props etc)
Portrayal of theme (includes interpretation where appropriate)
Rule adherence (such as image titling, descriptive paragraphs complete? etc)

Constructive criticism from the judges is thoroughly encouraged but not mandatory.

Roxor Models: So, you think you can strut into the number one modeling agency in Bridgeport without so much as a portfolio and we’ll be so dazzled by your beauty we’ll beg you to come work for us? Pah! We see a hundred kids like you every day, what makes you so special? Get out of my office and come back when you’ve got something fantabulous to show us... then we might consider you.

Task: Create a portfolio of the following images to present to Roxor Models.

1x Headshot on a plain, light coloured background
1x Short paragraph (or less than 10 lines) introducing yourself and a little about yourself.
2x full body shots depicting your interpretation of two of these song titles - no need to interpret the song lyrics, just the words in the title. It doesn’t matter if your interpretation is different to the actual song meaning and it doesn’t have to be a literal translation but you should explain your thought process if it’s not obvious.

Choice of Song Titles:
Barbie Girl
Boulevard of broken dreams
Dancing Queen
Everybody Hurts (sometimes)
God Save the Queen
Hairspray Queen
Highway to Hell
I believe I can Fly
I fought the law
I put a spell on you
I shot the Sheriff
I want you to want me
I will do anything for love (but I won’t do that)
I will survive
If I were a boy
I’m a slave for you
It’s a Man’s Man’s World
Leader of the Pack
Losing my religion
Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes
Party like it’s 1999!!
Rebel Yell
Rockstar
Seek and Destroy
Smooth Criminal
Stairway to Heaven
Super Freak
Time is running out
The edge of Glory
The Show Must go on
Why can’t I be you?
Why does it always rain on me?

You should try to set your theme not just through pose/expression but through all the elements of your image such as light, colour and set design or composition.

You can use the same theme as other contestants but It'll be up to you to make sure you portray the theme in an original way since creativity and originality are part of the judging criteria

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 7:45 PM
Contest Approved
Begins 6.16.11
Ends 7.16.11
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Formerly known as boolPropped
#3 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 10:29 PM
May I join?

I have been waiting for a contest.

I just want to reserve a space so I don't miss it.
The other one
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 10:43 PM Last edited by missroxor : 16th Jun 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Host checking in, let the applications begin

Lilyandsnuggles, glad to have you.

Please be aware that this contest is for TS3 only. Anyone wishing to judge or be an emergency Judge please post here or PM me.

The other one
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 4:06 AM
Just realised I made a massive typo: my round 1 pic said portolio instead of portfolio Rest assured I've now fixed this idiocy.

Also added wicked_poppies as a judge per their request via PM

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 10:35 AM
I really want to join, but I can't upload any photos right now since my internet is slowing down, but I'd like to reserve a space as well :D

can I?
The other one
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 2:47 PM
I've added you to the list, hope you get your internet issues sorted

Forum Resident
#8 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 7:49 AM
Stupid question - but because my graphics card is crap. Should I bother entering haha?

I might anyway, just for fun.

Official Foundation Challange Contestant. R1-R2-R3-R4

BLOGGER A Random Legacy - Vasher
Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 11:47 PM
I might join in
Field Researcher
#10 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 12:19 AM
Question: does the model have to be made from scratch for the contest or can we use a (never uploaded, only shown in pics) sim we already have?
I think the guy I have in my policy image would be glad to take part in the contest (with all new and in theme pics, obviously), but if a completely "new face" is needed I can always change the plans ^^
The other one
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 12:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kaylarox
Stupid question - but because my graphics card is crap. Should I bother entering haha?

You can't be judged on your PC's graphics though if you can I'd recommend upping your game graphics to their optimum levels to take pics then take it back to whatever you normally have it at when you're playing

Quote: Originally posted by Astraea Nevermore
Question: does the model have to be made from scratch for the contest or can we use a (never uploaded, only shown in pics) sim we already have?
Very good point, I forgot to put this in the rules, will do that now. The sim should be your own work and should not have been used in prior contests but doesn't have to be a new creation.

Glad to see some more interest though I realised a little too late that I should probably only be adding people to the contestants list once they've submitted their application (rookie mistake ) so I won't be adding names to the list from now on without at least a partial entry. It shouldn't be a problem though, from what I've seen contests on here often struggle to get the minimum amount of contestants anyay (which is 10). You can continue editing right up until round closure though so feel free to make a start and keep adding to it

#12 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 2:35 AM Last edited by lilyandsnuggles2 : 23rd Jun 2011 at 12:29 AM.
Default Portfolio
Belinda Smith

My name is Belinda Smith and I have always wanted to be a model. My mother was Miss Britain two years before I was born and I hope to live up to her title. I was born in Germany while my Mum was signing some modeling contracts and my nationality is German, even if I don't look it! I have no idea what nationality my father was but my mother is American. Though I am only twenty-one and in a very unexperianced, I'm certain have talent and determination along with other feautures that will take me to the top. Everything in life comes after modeling, of course, which is my main dream and focus in life.

Interests: Art, posing, shopping, jogging and writing.

Skills: Great at walking in heels, good at writing, good catwalk style and stylish.

Music: Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Owl City, Jonsi and The Llamas in the Elevator.

Nationality: JGerman

My Portfolio

(Two Pics. 2nd only to show face more )

The Edge of Glory

I think Glory is whatever you want it to be. To me Glory is love. Love is beautiful and I tried to recreate that with my setting. As you know it is called the Edge of Glory so it was shot on a steep mountain. It is on the edge of a cliff so you can also see realality as well as glory. I loved the view, and the male model! I loved shooting this because of the great view and being outdoors. I love the outdoors

I Will Survive

The green fumes and lights are poisonus gases and I had to get out to survive. I am wearing a sort of uniform and no shoes. I personally feel that I am a prisoner of war. With this picture you can imagine what happens to the woman, will she survive?

As an ambitious Sim I will do anything to win. I am described a perfectionist, a daredevil and artistic. I I love Fruit Parfuit, Pop Music and the colour green. I will use my traits to get to the top!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
Very good point, I forgot to put this in the rules, will do that now. The sim should be your own work and should not have been used in prior contests but doesn't have to be a new creation.

Ok, I guess I can use the guy, then ^^ I did him and I've never used him in any contest

Here's my contest entry, then. (Yay for insomnia!)

Jorn Ilvonen

My name is Jorn, and I'm a 23 years old photography student. I've always been interested in fashion and modelling, and I like to experiment with different scenes and costumes. While I can't really afford to build my own sets, I like to search around the city for good places to shot my pics and try to get the best out of them with additional props (having friends working at the theatre helps!). I'd like to make it big in the world of fashion and photography and I hope that this portfolio will be a good presentation of my work.

Time Is Running Out

Basically, the idea here is "time travelling". I just imagined this sort of old fashioned, kinda Steampunk looking gentleman with the ability to travel in time. The picture should represent the exact moment in which the character comes back to his world: fog surrounding him to represent the "transition" back in his actual world and clocks on the background to remind that his time "outside" in the other dimension has ended.
(Picture taken in an old bell tower, with the help of a fog machine)

Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

I always liked this title. The character represented here isn't less mysterious than the gentleman of the previous pic. A mixture of melancholy and horror to represent a terrible accident. We don't exactly know whether the person under the blanket is the guy's girlfriend, daughter or just a friend. The only sure thing is that he will never forget that boulevard in which his love and dreams were killed.
(Picture taken somewhere in Bridgeport)

Note: no Photoshop on pics, aside from the titles. If there's anything that needs changes, let me know
The other one
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 3:41 AM
*Squee*...I'm so excited to have my first ever contest entrants Fantastic work guys! @Lily, "The Llamas in the Elevator" thanks for advertising in your sig. @astraea I'm quite excited to see a guy....that sounds kinda desperate, lol but I haven't seen many guys in beauty contests, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with him.

Scholar
#15 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 3:42 AM
I would like to join It'll give me a chance to play around with the poses, since I don't use them for my legacy.

I'll just have to figure out how to make my pictures look good on this website, as unedited pictures are rejected on here, Paint kills the quality of my pictures, and I don't have Photoshop.
The other one
Original Poster
#16 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 3:47 AM Last edited by missroxor : 19th Jun 2011 at 5:56 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ebec17
I would like to join It'll give me a chance to play around with the poses, since I don't use them for my legacy.

I'll just have to figure out how to make my pictures look good on this website, as unedited pictures are rejected on here, Paint kills the quality of my pictures, and I don't have Photoshop.

Have you tried GIMP? It's free. You can usually find download links to it in the tutorial pages. There's another one I've heard people talk about too....think it was Paint pro.

Just noticed your sig....think I could make a guess at which song title you might choose

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 4:06 AM
I use Paint.net; it's free and very user friendly.

Also, may I join?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 4:47 AM
I can't decide whether to apply my pretty boy or my girl :p
My internet issues have been fixed *yay*
since this is my first contest and I've only been playing sims 3 for a month my sim may not be as beautiful as the others here
The other one
Original Poster
#19 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 6:03 AM Last edited by missroxor : 19th Jun 2011 at 6:27 AM.
Shadow Girl , of course you can join. This contest is open to anyone with TS3 with the time and enthusiasm to compete

ngluvjj , glad you got your internet sorted. Don't worry too much about your abilities, everybody was a beginner at some point and if nothing else, you'll get some experience, meet some members of the community and hopefully have fun doing it Just be sure to familiarise yourself with the contest forum rules (linked in the first post) if you haven't read them already and if you're still worried you can always look through some older contests to see the sort of things other people have done in the past but it's not really necessary, I'm sure you'll be fine

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 6:56 AM
is it okay to use the same theme as the other contestants? My screenshots are already done after my first post but it seems other contestants use the same theme as mine and amazingly done aswell :o
Field Researcher
#21 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 7:02 AM Last edited by picass0blue : 22nd Jun 2011 at 6:02 AM.
Ooh, yay, a competition! I'm nearly off for the summer, so I should be able to stay this time. I do love the idea with the song titles, and especially some of the ones you picked.

Jorn seems awesome (: I nearly went with a guy too, but Ramona looked too interesting and my boys could hardly match up to Jorn in handsome eccentricity!

Edit: Here you go I shouldn't have done, but I did it before the coursework. I might add to it later if I have time, but it's unlikely...

_____

Ramona Lilley

I’m Ramona Lilley, a 19 year old Graphic Communications student from London. I’ve been interested in acting and fashion since I was very young, but modelling won out when I realised I’m not so great at remembering the lines. I assure you that I picture well; everything in my portfolio was set up by myself with my own camera rig, so I know my best side. Please excuse the crude profile shot; I created it in haste up in the dorm room when I realised that for my hundreds of artsy pictures, I didn’t have one that showed me plain and front-on. I hope you enjoy the portfolio to come!

_____

"Rebel Yell" (though it also fits "Hairspray Queen" and "I Believe I Can Fly")

This I thought up during a Graphics project on alternative fashion. I had to think about what makes a "rebel", and what one would look like. I decided on bright colours and bold expression, and realised it would fit well into my modelling portfolio. For the makeup and costume I took inspiration from Bowie and Gaga, as well as more general thrift fashion. I took a trip to the coast with a couple of friends and a camera rig, and got some nice shots atop an abandoned festival stage in the park.

"I Fought The Law"

This is another one taken at the park, using the theme of a fairy under a toadstool. I had the idea as we drew near a car boot sale on the way to do my "Rebel Yell" shoot (and it was just as well we did, because I picked up that nice blonde wig and the white cowboy boots which majorly enhanced my costumery). At the car boot I thought about people living out of the back of vans, and worse, the idea of making off with all that stuff in a moment of insanity. I studied Kleptomania back when I did my Psych A Level, and this reminded me of it - and so an "I Fought The Law" of petty theft was born!

Note: Don't fret over blemishes - all my piercings are fake! I may have survived the heights and the dark, but I'm about as good with body modification as I am with lines...

_____
Note as picass0blue: Yes Ramona is a YA Sim; she's the spawn of height slider madness as being tall just didn't suit her. Also, sorry for being so abstract; here are a couple more from the shoot in case anyone's interested:
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/...nshot-474-1.jpg
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/...eenshot-432.jpg
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/...eenshot-350.jpg

Alternate "I Fought The Law" outfit with skirt (rejected because a skirt didn't seem very fighterish): http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/...tthelaw_alt.png
Alternate "Rebel Yell" with shorts and purple hair: http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/...ayQueen_alt.png
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 7:38 AM Last edited by ngluvjj : 23rd Jun 2011 at 7:30 PM. Reason: *update again*
Default Final Entry
This is the first sims I create using CC's

Headshot

My name is Lyla Heimdall, I'm a 19 years old literature and art student. Modelling changes my life. Back then in high school I was a loner, geek, and bullied, I've never said anything, I only write and paint what I feel, until one day my cousin gave me a major make over and taught me how to model. Now it become one of my way to express myself. I've always like to take picture(not that I'm good at it) of beautiful landscapes but now I'm learning to fit myself into beautiful landscapes. Even if I don't speak much, I'm pretty ambitious. I'll do everything I can to make my dreams come true and one of it is of course winning this competition. So, I hope this portofolio can create a good impression of myself.

Traits:
Shy
Bookworm
Artistic
Clumsy
Ambitious

Stairway to Heaven

Even if the theme I've chosen for this picture is "Stairway to Heaven", I didn't include any staircase. Because to me, stairway to Heaven should always be invisible

Why Can't I Be You?

Like what I have told you, I was a geek back there in high school. Seeing another girl who is having fun, talking freely, hang out with friends, lovey-dovey with her boyfriend, all made me think one sentence, "Why can't I be you?"

extra pic for why can't I be you
I like this because the set is viewed totally, but Lyla weren't facing the right way
Scholar
#23 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 7:54 AM Last edited by Sisaly : 23rd Jun 2011 at 10:08 AM.
Default The Portfolio~Application Round~Priscilla Gilchrist~Final Entry
It's about time someone else stepped up and did this so I could compete!!

My name is Priscilla Gilchrist, I'm 23 and live in L.A. I want to be able to model and make a living from it. It really is my passion. The sets, the makeup, the lights, the clothes....so much fun. I'm thrilled to show you what I got.

Head Shot

Song Interpretation #1

Song Interpretation #2

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
The other one
Original Poster
#24 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 8:35 AM Last edited by missroxor : 19th Jun 2011 at 8:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Shadow Girl
I use Paint.net

That might be the one I was thinking of, I knew it was paint something

ngluvjjI can’t believe you were even worried, if your sim creating ability is anything to go by I’m sure you’ll do well

Quote: Originally posted by Sisaly
It's about time someone else stepped up and did this so I could compete!!
I’m a long way off but I’ve got my sights set on one of those jazzy little blue ribbons! PS Thanks for advertising!

Adding all the lovely new entrants now.

EDIT: Forgot to say, yes you can use the same theme as other contestants. It'll be up to you to make sure you portray the theme in an original way though since creativity and originality are part of the judging criteria.

The other one
Original Poster
#25 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 8:47 AM Last edited by missroxor : 19th Jun 2011 at 9:02 AM.
I must've been just editing that in as you were typing see above

Just a little note for those who are doing their entries a bit at a time: when you add more please feel free to post a comment to say you've updated if you want but please add all the updates to your original post so your entry isn't split up over several different posts.

Page 1 of 23