Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#51 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 9:15 PM
I do, those were some freaky lots! I have a decent graphics card but it's getting old so I'm looking to upgrade that and add some more RAM soon. Might even be able to play more than one EP of Sims 3 then.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 9:24 PM
I find Sims 3 winter a lot more annoying than Sims 2 winter (Yes, Sims 3 Seasons just came out) and Sims 2 winter is my least favorite of the Sims 2 seasons. Seriously, does it have to snow every single frigging day?
Banned
#53 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I like the winter, but it keeps throwing memory crashes at me (heavy lots...), so I only play winter if I really need to. I mostly keep the lots on spring, and turn off rain/weather with a mod, unless I really need it.

You don't need a mod if you have good aspiration - you can use the aspiration reward to set it to clear sky. It's pretty cheap in regards to aspiration points.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 9:41 PM
No, it doesn't have to snow every day, Orilon. I often only have one heavy snow day per winter.

Guess I'm just lucky that way.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
#55 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 11:12 PM
I like all four seasons!
Come on, the penguins are adorable! The way the waddle and you can pet them. Cutee
Fall is a fun season and it has nice weather.
Spring is the start of gardening.
And Summer is fun with vacations and swimming and stuff. Also I'm thinking about installing the mod with no school for summer vacations.
Scholar
#56 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 11:34 PM
I like everything about winter except that my game crashes if snow hits the ground and I've forgotten to turn "Snow on Ground" off in the video options. And let's face it, that's my slow computer talking, not the game...
Mad Poster
#57 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MattShizzle
You don't need a mod if you have good aspiration - you can use the aspiration reward to set it to clear sky. It's pretty cheap in regards to aspiration points.

I know, and for a while I've used a buyable, endless version of the reward - but I find it annoying that it sometimes fireballs or that the sim has to have above gold aspiration to use it. Plus, it's time consuming as the sim has to use the machine. The modded vase works instantly without sim actions (only needs to be clicked), and has the exact same functions, plus it's smaller, so it's not visible through windows and such. Better for storytelling, and for the memory use...

Anyway, I do love the winter. And the penguin is adorable, especially when it chats with the snowmen or eats fish, or runs through the livingroom for no apparent reason. It's just that if leave the winter on for too long on the bigger lots, I get flashing purple everything, and the game finally crashes. Rain isn't that memory seeping, but the lightning annoys me as it sets fire to pretty much everything, and leaves puddles. Summer leaves all the sims hot (though, I use mods for that), and the leaves are annoying if they fall in the wrong spots. I use the seasons if they have a purpose. If not, I have a few other means of making it look like winter/fall has hit (ground covering, deco leaves...). Anything to save memory and prevent crashes.
Banned
#58 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 2:02 AM
I haven't had Seasons long, but have so far had 2 houses experience 2 days of winter each and only saw snow once, and that was only because I made it happen via the aspiration reward. I don't like the penguin. I think it's stupid because unless your sims live in Antarctica (in which case there would be 4 seasons of winter - with at least 2 being especially harsh - ie coldest weather possible in the game) they would never see one, except maybe at a zoo.
Field Researcher
#59 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 3:21 AM
I don't mind winter, but I dislike the rain all summer long. I admit I do live in an area where it does rain every day in the summer in real life, but when I'm playing Strangetown, which is supposed to be a desert, getting rain everyday just doesn't seem right to me.
Instructor
#60 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 9:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Anaticula
I don't mind winter, but I dislike the rain all summer long. I admit I do live in an area where it does rain every day in the summer in real life, but when I'm playing Strangetown, which is supposed to be a desert, getting rain everyday just doesn't seem right to me.

When I'm playing a desert hood (or anytime I want less snow in winter), I use this desert weather hack.
Field Researcher
#61 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 8:12 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Banned
#62 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 12:40 AM
Yeah it does rain too much overall. And there are WAY too many thunderstorms. In thunderstorms lightning strikes trees way too often - it's pretty much guaranteed to happen at least once a season on every lot. I've never known anyone who had a tree hit by lightning and I know people (including myself) who have quite a few trees.
Test Subject
#63 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 1:03 AM
Overalll, the seasons don't even bother me. I love the rain, I love the snow. And hey, that penguin is cute. c:
Mad Poster
#64 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 1:12 AM
Well, Matt, now you do. :-D We also have a smallish mountain that said (dead) tree is located on . . . well, technically, it's on the BLM side of the line, but I think it still counts as 'our tree'. If it'd started a fire it sure would've been our place that burned.
My husband's in the volunteer fire department and the majority of their calls during fire season are lightening strikes, sometimes involving trees and sometimes not. Not daily during the season, but more than one a week, and we're in a desert, so mostly dry lightening. They tend to be on public land out here because lightening of course hits the high points, and those tend to be unbuildable and therefore publicly owned. Though none of the lightening fires did much damage this season . . . that was reserved for the human-caused fires. This time of year, though, it's all structure and vehicle fires. EA really missed a chance to burn our sims up with vehicle fires. Someone must have been napping on the job, since they got most other causes!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Forum Resident
#65 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 2:30 AM
Maybe it's the Canadian in me, but I absolutely love the Winter season. It totally bums me out if my sims don't get much snow during winter. Plus, it just looks so pretty, and I LOVE the sounds of the wind blowing. :} Oh, now you're making me want to play but I have this stupid essay to write, ugh.
Field Researcher
#66 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 2:00 PM
I just had to quit the game because the constantly falling snow was giving me a headache!
But in the time I played a penguin waddled into the house, was patted by one of the kids and promptly peed on the floor, there was a terrible xmas tree fire which was so bad I had to exit without saving and the kids had three snow days in a row! How could you not love that?
Mad Poster
#67 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 3:05 PM
I always put a sprinkler above the Christmas tree (and other non-fireproof items, such as the stoves and fireplaces), to be sure any fires are put out before they can evolve into big fires. Sure, it leaves puddles, but better than having to quit the game or wait too long for the fire brigade (especially if you've forgotten fire alarms).
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#68 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 9:24 PM
I always put a sprinkler above the Christmas tree (and other non-fireproof items, such as the stoves and fireplaces), to be sure any fires are put out before they can evolve into big fires. Sure, it leaves puddles, but better than having to quit the game or wait too long for the fire brigade (especially if you've forgotten fire alarms).

I just use the hack that stops the dumb fires in the first place. Not stoves though. You have to give them the option to burn themselves to death somehow.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#69 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 9:58 PM
Which hack is that? I'd love to have that one...
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#70 Old 1st Dec 2012 at 11:12 AM
Which hack is that? I'd love to have that one...

ForeverBurnFireplaces
NoXmasTreeFire
and
SafeReindeerHack

Sims zapping themselves by patting the christmas light reindeer was amusing the first few times but it becomes monotonous if they do it every time. That's the trouble with EAxis fun 'features' for objects (well except alien abduction obviously). Anyway, these are all by Carrigon and I can confirm that they all still work perfectly well with all EPs/SPs to M&G. Carrigon was at SimsWorkshop which I think is still operating. If not, I can always send you the hacks by regular email.

Edit: yeah, still there:
http://www.sims2workshop.com/
You might have to register.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#71 Old 2nd Dec 2012 at 12:08 AM

Good idea - this is not the first xmas tree fire tradgedy i've had.
Scholar
#72 Old 2nd Dec 2012 at 6:22 PM
No, I do not find winter annoying. I think it's a nice time of the short sim year. Everyone seems to get a want to make a snowman and in most cases I let them. What I more or less hate is the thunderstorms that burns my sims skin and clothes.
Field Researcher
#73 Old 2nd Dec 2012 at 7:42 PM
A horrible case of hypothermia almost caused toddler Caryl to be taken away by the social worker... The adoption lady left her outside in the knee deep snow while everyone was at work or school. To top it off, the house had a foundation so she had no chance of making it inside! In that same winter, Caryl's older sister Lily almost missed her want to get straight A's because a particularly bad snow cancelled school for several days straight. But for the most part, I find winter nice.
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 5th Dec 2012 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by farawayy & so close
I just can't bear the constant wind howling. That and the pissing penguin is enough to make me set my season options to fall --> spring --> summer --> summer. I'm thinking of making a longer fall instead because it's probably my favorite season. Anyway, what has everyone else done with their season options?

I live in hot, hot, hot Texas. The first time I actually saw snow I was 27 and it was old colorado mountain snow. The first time I saw snow falling from the sky I was 28 and we had a rare snow day in Texas! It all melted by 2pm. So, if you can' tell by now I love the winter season in my sims' game!

I just wish there was a way we could control humidity in our hoods. I want to make a Cold Martian landscape without the cold rain and snow. Oh well, that's what my imagination is for. :P

No chemicals or GMOs in my sims' food.
Top Secret Researcher
#75 Old 5th Dec 2012 at 9:05 PM
Don't mind snowy winters (in fact I rather like it); it's the endless summer rains that drive me batty. (Seriously, at the house whose rotation I'm currently playing it is the last day of summer and it has rained. all. summer.)
Page 3 of 4