Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 11:49 AM
Looks great!

That'd be something you'd do in Bodyshop, really. Make one using a swimsuit mesh or one that's almost nude, then use bodyshop to make it a nude skin rather than a swimsuit.

X.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Xenos

Scout - yes, those low-res meshes might have some potential - they are still vastly more complex than the Sims meshes, but if you chop the heads off, they could work. We'll have to wait until the Animation stuff comes out so we can see how the bones work.
X.

Xenos, first off I like to thank anyone who works hard on this stuff, I have been messing with Poser for a few years now and have had some real fun with it. To let you know, I do have and have had for a long time, Poser meshes in Sims 1 and working fine. Hair ,body and clothing meshes but it takes a good high end machine to run them.
I used Rhino 3D to cut the meshes down as it does such a nice job and don't screw up the .obj's. Anyway I used UVMapper Pro to seperate the meshes and cut them one at a time with Rhino then re-assembled them in Milkshape mostly because you had to re-assign the bones to the right places.
Once the bones thing get figured out in Sims 2 I would say it is highly possible to get some of the Poser meshes to work.

Thanks again for the hard work of everyone concerned
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 1:38 PM
Yup - it would be possible. My point of making it clear that I didn't want Poser models in there was because I knew that a few folks were excited about the concept. Yes, it's possible, but as you point out - it takes a very high end machine to render them - and when you throw a party, you're doomed even on the top machines. So, a person could do it for their own personal use, but as a distributed/shared item, it would cause more headaches than it's worth.

But, you're also talking about simplifying the meshes before doing it - that would both work and be practical. It's not what I was warning against.

Also - over in the Tech Thread that you posted in, I suggested that Poser stuff wasn't actually used in the Sims. I wasn't suggesting that you were lying or anything, but rather, that it was used as a seed for the process, but I don't think that Poser format is actually what's represented in there. So, please don't take what I said over there as offensive - it wasn't meant to be. It was merely an observation based upon what we know thus far. It's entirely possible that Wes's Mystery Area is, in fact, very close to the way Poser does it. Then again, it may be just close enough that it helps him get a breakthrough. We'll see.

Cheers!

X.
Test Subject
#29 Old 25th Feb 2005 at 6:26 PM
Hey Xenos,
I have used your excellent tutorial for three outfits. But I have been
having trouble with a couple of blouses. Could it be that the
Superheroine magnets are for an outfit? I did the other tutorial
and checked it out in bodyshop and it was still there. I then used
Poser 5 to bring in the body.obj I applied the superheroine mags
to the body.obj (a blouse) and the magnets showed on the chest.
I then deleted the mags that apply to hip, etc that was not part of
the figure itself. I then exported like I also do and did the rest of
the tutorial, but when I opened the blouse up in bodyshop, it was
there but the modifications weren't.

I have been using Poser since Poser 4 was brought out but I do
not understand magnets. That is why I usually use magnets from
people like Wyrmmaster and others. Is there any chance you will do
a tut on how you did the magnets in the first place.

But I still don't understand why the modifications didn't show up
because the body.obj I exported was showing them.

Bill
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 25th Feb 2005 at 6:51 PM
Yeah. There's a bunch of problems trying to do the "half outfits". You could delete all the lower mags, but then unless you make a set of "legs" to match up, it's not going to work. So, at this point, this tutorial won't really work on the "tops" and "bottoms" meshes. Sorry.

X.
Test Subject
#31 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 7:12 AM
Thanks for the reply, I will stay with the outfits.
One other thing I meant to mention.
In some of the outfits, there is a slight dark area around the
knees. I don't know if this is something that is happening
in Poser or not. If you aren't sure what I am talking about,
I will try to post a screenshot when I try it out in the game.
I have been working on the outfits and not playing the game.
Bill
I am deleting the thigh magnets before I export, so I don't know
if that has anything to do with it.
Test Subject
#32 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 7:37 AM
Maybe you can tell what I am talking about from this
picture.
Sorry for all the questions.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 10:06 AM
I don't really see much in the knees on that shot. I get the effect at the base of skirt hems and other "sharp angles" from time to time (look at the white dress I made for my super heroine mesh).

Not sure what's up with this - I suspect it's mainly that the map is made, then we stretch the heck out of certain areas of it, but we're not taking the time to remap the object. If you grab a copy of UVMapper (I think that's still a free utility that you can find at Renderosity) and run your object through that, it might help - but the downside there is that you'll need to redo the textures and you won't be able to just make clothes from other clothes in bodyshop once you've got the initial mesh done...

I also saw your other post in BriAnna's thread - I think that the [User File] annotation isn't critical - though I'm not sure why you don't see it. The key there is that those top two have the same names (Resource and Shape, if I remember correctly) as the items you just dragged and dropped into the bottom of the list and are about to move up to the top. So, you delete the original two and move up the new ones that have the updated hash ID's so the package knows which mesh to address.

Glad you're having fun with these - and, though I haven't checked in a day or so, I hope I'll see some of your new stuff up for download. Would love to check it out.

Some afternoon when I can actually put 3-4 hours together into one spot, I'm going to experiment with doing the "half body" meshes in Poser. I know it's possible - mostly in just "name changes" and "Making sure you've got a top to match up with your bottom". Am thinking it might also be possible to just merge the tops and bottoms into single meshes, though I'm not sure if that's the best way to go or not. I'll keep you posted as I go. And, of course, if you make any cool discoveries before I get to this (it may be towards the end of the week before I get some more time) I look forward to hearing your findings!

X.

X.
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#34 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 12:26 PM
Well done, Xenos. I'm going to move this to the tutorials forum where it'll have a longer shelf-life.

RG
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 11:00 AM
Thanks RGiles. I wasn't sure which place would be the best to put this based upon the fact that it's got some downloads attached to it as well as a tutorial. So, I guessed and I figured if I had it wrong, someone would move it.

Cheers and thanks to you and the rest of the staff for this great site!

X.
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#36 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 3:19 PM
No probs, Xenos. Most people can't post directly to Tutorials anyway. The staff just collects them and moves them here.

RG
#37 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 7:38 PM
I have PM'ed Xenos with a question, but I think it's better to post it here. Sorry to PM you Xenos :argh:

Quote: Originally posted by LouNGeR
Hey there!
I like your tutorial on Poser, but can't really get it to work...
I have never worked with Magnets, only with morph targets, but I guess these won't work.
With Magnets I could mod. the body to something diff.
But how do I make the Sim shape the same as a existing Poser model that I have? Is there a way to auto generate magnets or something?

Thanks in advance.
#38 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 11:36 PM
Sry for double-post, couldn't edit my last :-/

As I'm reading some stuff on internet now, I realize that making a low-poly model is not that easy.

(ofcourse) I tried to import a Poser Model, but The Mesh Tool didn't liked it. (Runtime error 6: overflow)

IF I want to import a Poser Model into The Sims, I guess I will need to lower the poly count abit, but how?
Test Subject
#39 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 1:01 PM
thanks! you're the best!!
Test Subject
#40 Old 18th May 2005 at 5:06 PM
I'm having trouble loading the magsets. I'm not very experienced with poser, so I'm probably just doing some silly noob mistake. I've done everything as per your tutorial and tried to select the magsets by the props menu on the right side toolbar in poser, but although I had The Sims selected, Heroine was no where to be seen.

Where am I going wrong?
Test Subject
#41 Old 24th May 2005 at 1:41 AM
OK, never mind that. I'm still unable to use your magsets, but that's OK, cuz I just wrote down the settings for an array of magnets I'll be using to modify my meshes.

Xenos, you rule. Great tutorial. You're the best!
Test Subject
#42 Old 24th May 2005 at 1:42 AM
Can you use this method to make nude skins? I mean, change the actual mesh of the nude sim, so that his/her new and improved body doesn't vanish the moment he/she steps into the shower, for instance?
Test Subject
#43 Old 24th May 2005 at 5:53 PM
I came across a bit of a problem here. I tried editing a nightgown mesh, but when I did Sims2MeshTool read 4 objects instead of the usual 1. I figured this was ok, since SimPE foung 4 items under Geometric Data Container, but when I did the replacement thing and hit preview, the mesh was all screwed up, only the legs were right and everything else was misplaced, not quite as exploded, but close enough. How do you get around this?
Test Subject
#44 Old 31st May 2005 at 6:53 PM
First,
a big Thank you to Xenos for his great tutorial and useful magsets...

@Landoman:

Quote:
I've got two poser's living in the same house LOL

can you tell me how?I've tried to export poser's model to wavefront object deselecting universe,ground,head and using Xenos settings for the save window but I can't manage to import them into meshtool program...so what can I do?
#45 Old 3rd Jul 2005 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by debbyj3
Xenos!!

Oh my God, THANK YOU , THANK YOU!!!!!!

I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to do this with Poser.

You are fantastic!!!!!

Quick question: Is it possible to use Poser for Hair too?

Debby

Yah can you use it for hair too. I have had that stuck in my mind so long. please share. :confused:
#46 Old 25th Aug 2005 at 2:14 AM
I love the Tutorial,, awesome..is there a way to apply this to Objects like Furniture?I tried a Chair one time and I could not get it to work :fallen:
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 30th Sep 2005 at 1:40 AM
I'm hurting my brain trying to work out how on earth to use magnets, full stop, lol. It's probably got something to do with the fact that I've never really played with Poser 5 before. Maybe I can find me a good tute explaining how magnets work, how to set them properly, and then how to save them so that I can use it again. *Toddles off for a look*

~ Nessa
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 4th Jan 2006 at 6:09 AM
I have uploaded a set of magnets I have created in Poser for modifying Sims 2 meshes. They are available at:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=117968
Test Subject
#49 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 7:07 AM Last edited by Lyrra : 15th Jan 2006 at 7:10 AM. Reason: forgot somehting
poser objects are generaly MUCH too high resolution to use in SIMS. The exception being the poser2 lores man and woman, included in all copies of poser. someplace. I dont know how they'd work in sims, as I don't know the preferred polycount. There are also a couple other poser model makers who've made lores psoer figures. no idea how one would go about covneritng them however.

ALL poser content (shipped with poser and anything bought/downloaded from sites) is copyrighted ..so distibuting is a major no no anyway.

there IS a customised 'mirror magnet' setup to make mirrored magnets in Poser for simpler symetrical morphing. Look for it in Renderosity's freestuff, and I beleive there may be a (cheap) commercial version in the market there.

Poser magnets have 3 parts, the target, the zone and the magnet. The zone is a bubble surroudning the affected area. The target is the anchor for the magnet and pinpoints the centre of the deformation. The magnet is the proxy object for the deformation ... whatever you do to the magnet is what happens to your targeted mesh. scale the magnet on x, your mesh will deform on x

magnets can be saved in the Props section of your poser library. *IMPORTANT* when saving a magnet save "as subset" and in the heirarchy window that pops up you MUST select all 3 magnet parts or your magnet will not save properly.

For a longer more intensive tutorial go look at Travelers most ecxellent tutorials here: http://www.morphworld30.com/tutor.html

I may know absolutely nothing right now about the modding the sims .. but Poser I know entirely too well

Lyrra
#50 Old 21st Jan 2006 at 10:00 PM
hi, i was wondering, what is the best system to recolour clothing and objects to make them look realistic? i REALLY need one because i think every one here knows how hard it is to recolour using *ikk* the windows paint program, please send me a message with a dl, please and thank you MUCH!!
Page 2 of 3