Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Charmful Dorm

by triciamanly Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 3:16 AM

22 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 6 Feedback Posts, 15 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Inventor
THANKS POST
#2 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 11:41 AM
Very functional floor plan, beautiful available features in the dorm and wonderful live mode screenshots.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 1:30 PM
This is amazing, is this your first dorm? I particularly love the kitchen/diner area, but it's all outstanding, as usual!

(P.S. Thanks for the credit, it's much appreciated!)

Sim Fans UK - Free downloads, tutorials, game help and chat!

I'm selling my vBulletin 4 suite - please contact me if you are interested in buying it.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#4 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 2:19 PM
I dont usually download houses cause I love to build myself but this was to good to resist.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#5 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 6:03 PM
Playing Uni has never been my favorite, but I do for challenges and even enjoy it occasionally, and I've always been sort of blah about dorms, and now I realize it's because the game's don't look nearly this good! I love your brick interior, it really gives an authentic dormy feel and looks good, too. I also like that the setup is nice but not too fancy. I'm excited to try this one out!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#6 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 6:57 PM
YAY! Now my Uni sims can have some cool digs! I really LOVE the layout, it should flow very nicely. Thanks for keeping the cc to a minimum, doll! My downloads folder now groans whenever I add something to it As always, your attention to detail is right on target. I'm looking forward to using this. Thank you, thank you!!!
Alchemist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 8:30 PM
All of your comments make me very happy! Thanks so much and I hope the dorm is great for sim university success!
Link Ninja
THANKS POST
#8 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 6:03 PM
WOW Triciamanly! This is amazing! I especially especially love how students can watch students swim on the first floor and the way the kitchen is set up is so beautiful and I would have never have though to putt a wall there like that, it just makes it look so much real. And the study area is gorgeous. This is very very awesome and thank you so much for taking on this project, my college sims now have a place to move into that is isn't dull or drab A truly unique dorm :D
Alchemist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 6:40 PM
Charmful! I'm truly grateful for your comment and for the inspiration. I have to admit, that I get very low on ideas and your suggestion really gave me some new life!
Link Ninja
THANKS POST
#10 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 7:04 AM
Well you're certainly welcome! And if I ever have more ideas, I'll throw them your way. Recently I got a weirder idea - I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to make a rehab center for Sims who get all the way down in the red aspiration. I have an idea to send them there to get better, just to add that twist of realism. But keep on making wonderful structures with your unique additions! I can't wait to see any more buildings you have up your sleeve!
Link Ninja
#11 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 4:02 PM
I got around to playing with the dorm this weekend, it was fabulous! However, there was one slight hiccup in the flow, and that involved the cafeteria. It seems since there's no wall separating the eating area tables from the main entrance, the cook makes food and sets them on the three correct kichten island counters but then wanders over to the entrance-way counter islands and serves food there before returning to the kitchen and then taking a bowl themselves, sitting down and eating which is abnormal.

In the end, I put something on each space in the entryway counters so it was blocked from the cook (I couldn't put up a wall since it was a dorm lot) so that seemed to correct the behavior. They don't eat anymore but stand there waiting to cook more food like normal and clean up after a student is eating.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
I got around to playing with the dorm this weekend, it was fabulous! However, there was one slight hiccup in the flow, and that involved the cafeteria. It seems since there's no wall separating the eating area tables from the main entrance, the cook makes food and sets them on the three correct kichten island counters but then wanders over to the entrance-way counter islands and serves food there before returning to the kitchen and then taking a bowl themselves, sitting down and eating which is abnormal.

In the end, I put something on each space in the entryway counters so it was blocked from the cook (I couldn't put up a wall since it was a dorm lot) so that seemed to correct the behavior. They don't eat anymore but stand there waiting to cook more food like normal and clean up after a student is eating.

Charmful! Thanks so much for sharing that fix! I'll sure keep it in mind when I build another dorm. A wall between cafeteria and the rest of the dorm. Wonder if there can be counters or do they cause the problem . . . I very much appreciate your input, Charmful!
Link Ninja
#13 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 8:49 PM
I always thought the cook would always place on the special counters but I guess those are the counters that prevent the cook from 'serving a meal' like in a community lot and at the end takes a plate for themselves to eat. But if a wall was there, I'm sure that would remedy the behavior glitch because on some pre-made dorms there is a reception area outside of the eating area with counters. In a dorm I made, I had other counters but the eating area was separated with a wall and the cook stayed serving in the correct area.

it was a very interesting thing to figure out to say the least! and no problem, just thought I would let you know

BY the way just another note on how awesome you take things and make them into other things. I wondered what was making that long brown object that was over the counters in the kitchen and they were the wine hangers! Ingenious!

Alchemist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 3:15 PM
Hi Charmful! I'm glad to find out about the counters. I really should play more so that I would understand the game better. I always play test, but not as long as I should! One of the ep's has those beams that can be moved up and down and I love them, but I've sort of found my niche with base game only, except in special cases like this one! So anyway, I always have fun trying to repurpose objects!
Test Subject
#15 Old 27th Dec 2011 at 6:23 AM
Hi triciamanly, thanks for another beautiful structure. I've used this with seasons and wanted to inform you that rain and snow were able to enter the 1st floor of the structure as well as what Charmful pointed out but other than that it's a delight to have in my game.
Alchemist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#16 Old 28th Dec 2011 at 3:27 PM
Hi zato! I'm not sure why rain and snow can enter the first floor unless it's because of the pool. I'm so happy to have your input! Happy New Year!
Link Ninja
#17 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 5:28 PM
Hey there again, after more extensive play on this wonderful dorm I found one more glitch but I'm not sure what is behind it. I placed it and had a Young adult move in and he claimed his door like usual, the dormies did the same. In normal dorm gameplay if you add incoming playable sims to a dorm lot the dormies move out and let the new ones claim their doors however some reason it's impossible for new playable sims to claim the doors. The dormies leave but the doors are swung in and the claimage never takes so they can't really move into their rooms since the rooms are in the blind-mode. The best way I found to solve this is move everyone out, bulldoze the dorm and add it again to the neighborhood but moving in everyone you want to at once and have them claim their doors. But the doors must be closed to do this because once someone enters a room, the door swings open forever and isn't claimable. Very strange, I wonder what causes that?

Alchemist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#18 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 10:04 PM
First of all, many thanks for the genuine game play feedback! This is the first dorm I ever tried, and I have to admit I've played University very little. All that homework gets me down! Anyone, anyone? Is there a solution to the unclaimable rooms?
Link Ninja
#19 Old 9th Apr 2012 at 11:00 PM
Ok, I have found a solution to the claiming rooms issue. I went in and made it into residential and just deleted the doors, replaced them, also moved those lights out from directly in front of them in case they were triggering this oddity and changed the zoning back to dorms. The culprit was possibly the lights or the doors just needed replaced since on the empty lot they were claimed by some of your test sims. Now the rooms are working like regular, just thought I would report that as the solution

It's still my favorite dorm, so much more interesting of a layout that the pre-made ones :D

Alchemist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#20 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 3:47 AM
Yahoo! Your feedback is so helpful to me. When next I make a dorm, I will not put lights in front of the doors, and I will upload a copy of the dorm that has not been play tested, but corrected! Charmful, many thanks! All the best!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 4:26 PM
Amazing!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 7:20 PM
tHIS IS SO BEATIFUL
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 3rd Mar 2016 at 1:53 AM
thank you