Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Don't Fail Me Now - AF Dress

by Lina Posted 29th Mar 2012 at 4:37 PM

35 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 11 Feedback Posts, 23 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
Inventor
THANKS POST
#2 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 5:06 PM
This dress is soooo much better now! I love what you've done with it. =)
Instructor
THANKS POST
#3 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 9:09 PM
Very eye catching. Can't believe it was a Maxis dress.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Josepina
Very eye catching. Can't believe it was a Maxis dress.

Fun Fact: Before Nightlife was released, EA held a contest for fan-made outfits to be submitted for a chance to be featured in Nightlife. Four full-outfits were declared winners. Two male outfits (light green/yellow shirt with striped pants, and also the dark blue shirt with white pants) were chosen, along with this dress and another dress (red top, black skirt with silver stars).

Ah, the things I remember from 2005!

The Possibilities are Endless

-----------------------
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#5 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 11:19 PM
The dress is simply gorgeous now! I love it so much better without the neck thing. Thanks Lina.
Meet Me In My Next Life
THANKS POST
#6 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 11:24 PM Last edited by Simonut : 30th Mar 2012 at 2:18 AM.
@> Lina I do think you did an ok job on the dress. But here is my honest opinion, the dress in the game is in the "Formal" category, the details of the dress clearly show a jewelry like sequins narrow ban running down the front of dress and around the neckline with an V shape open back. In the color light blue, which I think Maxis did a very good job on.

I Think the original open heel and open toe shoe was the proper or suitable choice for this formal style of dress. I think your choice of replacing the dress with wedge shoe take away from the style of the dress, because you have casual shoe with a formal dress.

Detail are very important, even the removal of the jewerly like sequins ban around the neckline, have left this dress simply very plain. I hope you do not mind me telling you this, sometime if things are not broken why fix it. But I will say your recolors are nice.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#7 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 11:40 PM
Great edit, I always hated the bit round the neck and the shoes are very nice
Test Subject
#8 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 12:28 AM
@Simonut - I personally hate it when an outfit has jewelry pasted on it. First off, it usually looks pretty fake, especially when Maxis does it. Furthermore, there's a great deal of custom jewelry out there AND the jewelry that came with Bon Voyage, both of which you can use with any outfit you'd like - much more realistic and convenient. After all, in real life, jewelry isn't attached to clothing. There's no such thing as buying a shirt that comes with a necklace that can't be taken off! That's just silly.

Personally, I'm quite glad that Lina chose to take off the jewelry. The more simple an outfit is, the more versatile it is, and I prefer to download outfits that I know I have a chance of using. And these colors will fit a wider variety of sims (nothing against baby blue, but it's not everyone's color). As for the shoe choice thing... I suppose I see your point, but it doesn't bother me that much.

That's just my opinion. Anyhow, enough of my rambling; Thank you for these wonderful dresses, they will definitely be abused in my game!
Test Subject
#9 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 12:37 AM
@Simonut I also really dislike jewelry on clothes, and I actually prefer these shoes, and I had never ever used that dress, but now I will, so really, why wouldn't Lina fix it? For you it wasn't "broken" but for me it was plain useless.
Test Subject
#10 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 1:39 AM
Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but is this a default replacement of the original dress or will it occupy a new "slot" in Create a Sim / buying clothes menu?
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#11 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:10 AM
Oh my gosh, I totally just did a similar edit and I was sad it didn't look quite right. Yours is much better. Thank you!
Meet Me In My Next Life
THANKS POST
#12 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:12 AM Last edited by Simonut : 1st Apr 2012 at 8:21 PM. Reason: typo
@ > Eternal Boredom @ sil30stm > it is important to read with understanding The original dress is not paste with Jewerly like earring, that go on the ears nor is it paste with a necklace that go on the neck.
Instead the dress is embellish with details like sparkling sequins material cloth, there is a different (not an earring or necklace ) when applying to a dress as part of the overall look.

The details on the dress is if you look at the dress closely you can see it is sequins on the trimming of it that Maxis did on the dress. Lina did not change that detail of it she kept the sequins detail on her version of this dress.
So let be clear it is not Jewerly ( like a earring or necklace) but the sequins on the dress give it the sparking affects like jewerly.

Now as for the shoe this is a formal dress with formal you wear formal shoe not a casual wedge shoe. I have work in the fashion industry for many years and anyone that really knows about fashion can tell you this. Everyone had an opinion that fine, my is base on my years of working with professional people who do fashion 24/7 365 end
Field Researcher
#13 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:16 AM
What's with the fighting? You can blame EA for choosing it, but you cannot blame them for making it.
I went searching and found the original announcement: http://thesims2.ea.com/contests/nig...les_winners.php
This dress was originally created by TSRXandher for the Nightlife Contest.

The Possibilities are Endless

-----------------------
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phink
Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but is this a default replacement of the original dress or will it occupy a new "slot" in Create a Sim / buying clothes menu?

All files are custom, so they will all occupy new slots in the catalogue

Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
@> Lina I do think you did an ok job on the dress. But here is my honest opinion, the dress in the game is in the "Formal" category, the details of the dress clearly show a jewelry like narrow ban running down the front of dress and around the neckline with an V shape open back. In the color light blue, which I think Maxis did a very good job on.

I Think the original open heel and open toe shoe was the proper or suitable choice for this formal style of dress. I think your choice of replacing the dress with wedge shoe take away from the style of the dress, because you have casual shoe with a formal dress.

Detail are very important, even the removal of the jewerly like ban around the neckline, have left this dress simply very plain. I hope you do not mind me telling you this, sometime if things are not broken why fix it. But I will say your recolors are nice.

I don't want to seem rude, but as this isn't a default replacement and the original outfit will still remain in the catalogue even if these are downloaded I don't see the point in complaining that I made so many edits on the dress. Like most that have commented already I've never used the original dress and prefer versatility over anything. The original shoes were, in my honest oppinion, not very nicelooking at all and didn't compliment the dress in any way. Same goes for the jewelry, neck-thingy and the nail-polish. And whether or not wedges are "casual shoes" is upon the beholder to descide, I guess. Personally I'd never wear heels of any kind as casual clothes, but that's just me. Of course you're entitled to having your oppinion regarding this matter, but, like I said, I don't see the point of a message like this as this isn't a default replacement. And even if it was there's nothing forcing you to download it. Once again, I'm sorry if I came off rude
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#15 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:25 AM
Very nice edit of a Maxis dress! It's cool how you switched shoes colors to add a little touch of contrast. Your red one with the grey shoes is my favourite!
Instructor
#16 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:49 AM
@ > Eternal Boredom @ sil30stm > it is important to read with understanding The dress is not paste with Jewerly like earring, that go on the ears nor is it paste with a necklace that go on the neck.
Instead the dress is embellish with details like sparkling sequins material cloth, there is a different (not an earring or necklace ) when applying to a dress as part of the overall look.

The details on the dress is if you look at the dress closely you can see it is sequins on the trimming of it that Maxis did on the dress. Lina did not change that detail of it she kept the sequins detail on her version of this dress.
So let be clear it is not Jewerly ( like a earring or necklace) but the sequins on the dress give it the sparking affects like jewerly.

Now as for the shoe this is a formal dress with formal you wear formal shoe not a casual wedge shoe. I have work in the fashion industry for many years and anyone that really knows about fashion can tell you this. Everyone had an opinion that fine, my is base on my years of working with professional people who do fashion 24/7 365 end

If you have nothing nice or constructive to say then don't say anything.
Anyhow, Lina, it's lovely. I never use that dress because I don't like how it looks, but I'll use your edit because it's really cute. The shoes are perfect for it and I love how it's now strapless and band-less.

Sure. Fine. Whatever.
Test Subject
#17 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 3:26 AM
...Maxis did a very good job on.

Perhaps, if Maxis had made it. But they didn't.

I hope you do not mind me telling you this, sometime if things are not broken why fix it.

Why wouldn't she mind you telling her that basically what she made sucks? Why even say anything at all? It's obvious that you don't like it, so why not just close the page and go on with your day? Why do you insist on telling her what she made was bad in your opinion and then defending yourself by claiming you know fashion better?

Your comment is completely unnecessary. She re-made the dress to suit her own tastes and game, and she was kind enough to share it here for those who also prefer it. Just because you don't prefer it doesn't mean you get to tell her what she did was wrong. Just go off and use the original dress and pretend her edit doesn't exist if it bothers you that much, seriously.

Good grief.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 10:37 AM
Thank you Lina. It's a lovely edit, now I can use this version a lot more. Imo, the old version was fugly.
Bowties are cool.
retired moderator THANKS POST
#19 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 1:05 PM
Gorgeous edit! *snags*
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#20 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 4:43 PM
This is so lovely! I'm another one who never touches the original, but I will use this a lot. Thank you, Lina!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#21 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 7:12 PM
The dress is awesome, Lina! I love the shoes too! Hmm, wonder how it might look like with Sentate's heels *not so subtle wink*

Just kidding, it's lovely as it is. Mind if I make some recolors of it, dear?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 7:47 PM
Thank you, I'm glad you like it :lovestruc

Quote: Originally posted by thedivineone
The dress is awesome, Lina! I love the shoes too! Hmm, wonder how it might look like with Sentate's heels *not so subtle wink*

Just kidding, it's lovely as it is. Mind if I make some recolors of it, dear?

Shoe-swaps are usually very easy to make. Were there any specific heels you were thinking of (he has tons to choose between so I don't want to shoot blindly in the dark and hope to get it right)? And of course I don't mind, go right ahead
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#23 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 10:55 PM
They're gorgeous!
Scholar
#24 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lina
Thank you, I'm glad you like it :lovestruc

Shoe-swaps are usually very easy to make. Were there any specific heels you were thinking of (he has tons to choose between so I don't want to shoot blindly in the dark and hope to get it right)? And of course I don't mind, go right ahead

I was thinking of the shoes with the draped dress ? I think even the T-strap shoes would look nice too. I think we should continue this in PM so we don't hog the comments (I tend to get carried away).

And I don't like it, I love it.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#25 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 6:06 AM
Awesome! Not to bash on the blue dress' creator (there wasn't a lot to work with back when the contest took place) but the original one looked plain SKANKY to me. These are MUCH nicer!
Page 1 of 2