Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Bolzano Octagonal Floor Tiles

by TofuSnorlax Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 11:16 PM

13 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 1 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
RETROTROUT
THANKS POST
#2 Old 26th Aug 2012 at 10:17 AM
It looks great on my Sim's patio :D
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#3 Old 26th Aug 2012 at 10:34 PM
I love these floors, can I ask how you make them seamless? I have tried so many times to make floors but you can always see the lines.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Aug 2012 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nightstar
I love these floors, can I ask how you make them seamless? I have tried so many times to make floors but you can always see the lines.

I could give you a better answer if I knew your specific issue. I've made a bit of a diagram though to list a few tricks that I use (and my skill level is by no means high). These are useful if you start out with an image that has a repeating pattern but for whatever reason (mine looked like it was a real photo) it is not actually seamless. These might be things you already know though!

On the left is the image I started out with.

1- If you have issues with things that will end up on the edge of your tile, you can select a part of the pattern that needs to be repeated, copy it, flip it, and paste it on the other side of the tile.

2- It helps a lot to get rid of any marks that are not part of the actual pattern, like those cracks in the stones. This way they will not attract attention when tiled and make the repeat obvious. (Not quite an issue with seamlessness, but anyway..)

3- Even if you have a repeating pattern, you can cut out a single piece of it, copy it, and replace other pieces to make it much more uniform and maybe even solve issues with seams. In this picture I copied 1 stone over, but if I were making a game tile that had, say, a 2x2 stone pattern on it, I would fix any blemishes on 1 stone and paste that stone in the 3 spots around it. If you join them up well, this can fix any issues with seams on the inside of your image- leaving just the edges to go!

4- This tile has a bit extra on the left side, so I would zoom in until I can estimate the columns of pixels fairly well and crop it little by little, save it in a pretty small size, and set as my desktop background (tiled) until there are no issues with seams from the edges of this image.

If you are making a tile from scratch, there is a feature called "Offset" in Photoshop (might be similar things in other editing programs) which lets you shift the sides of your image so that you see the gap or seam they make and play around with that.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#5 Old 27th Aug 2012 at 5:49 AM
Your answer was very helpful, thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I'm going to give it a try again using your tutorial
Theorist
THANKS POST
#6 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 6:04 PM
These are lovely -- great job.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#7 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 9:45 PM
I love these, thank you! And I hate it when Sims have too much money too, so I appreciate the pricing :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fairyxo
I love these, thank you! And I hate it when Sims have too much money too, so I appreciate the pricing :D

Thanks! I hate it too, that's why I try to make life difficult for them!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#9 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 5:21 AM
Nice new addition to my kitchen and bathrooms!
THANKS POST
#10 Old 11th Mar 2014 at 7:03 PM
thank you!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 1st May 2014 at 8:03 PM
Very classy and beautiful, thanks!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#12 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:57 PM
Been looking for a blue tile and this style looks great. Thanks.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#13 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 12:45 AM
These look great. Thank you
Scholar
THANKS POST
#14 Old 9th May 2015 at 10:41 AM
Those floor tiles are awesome!