Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Fewer (or More) Credit Hours For Degrees - 6 Flavours!

by Beccapixie10 Posted 5th Apr 2013 at 10:07 PM - Updated 7th Sep 2017 at 2:53 AM by Beccapixie10

55 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 34 Feedback Posts, 20 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#2 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 12:03 AM
Awesome mod! Thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 12:51 AM
Cool, thank !
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#4 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 1:54 AM
I'm so glad you did this! I haven't even had time yet to play with UL but I could see from let's plays that it took at least two trips to get a degree and that seemed silly!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 3:10 AM
thank you so much for this!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#6 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 11:46 AM
Thank you
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#7 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 4:21 PM
thank you so much! I was wondering if there could be a way to have your sim take more classes...like on Tuesdays and Thursdays :P
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 12:59 AM
@murf1291: Tuesdays and Thursdays are when they have the lectures and Class Activities, actual classes can only be Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

I don't know if it would be possible to change that with a mod but I'll leave that for someone else to figure out if they feel it's needed, personally I like the current class structure.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 6:09 AM
In my country this system of credit don't exist. Can anyone explain me what is "credit hours"?... not on game, on real life... or maybe a link where I can find some information about.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#10 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 7:22 PM
Same here, I don't get what credits are...
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 10:49 PM
I've been waiting for someone to do this mod ever since UL came out! Thank you so much! :D
Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Apr 2013 at 12:49 AM
@catalina_45 & Daynasaurus: To be honest, I'm not entirely sure either. I think Australia does it slightly differently as well and I'm not up to university in real life yet xD
I think if you want to learn about it, this article on Wikipedia (click the text) might be a good place to start.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 8th Apr 2013 at 12:44 PM
So then does this mean, theoretically, if I downloaded this mod that I could get a degree without even going to the University?

You know how when you take the aptitude test, you are awarded credit hours already based on what skills your sims already learned (logic, charisma, etc.)? The maximum you can get from the aptitude test is 18. That's way past the 6 needed for the degree.

Amirite?
Test Subject
#14 Old 8th Apr 2013 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Beccapixie10
@catalina_45 & Daynasaurus: To be honest, I'm not entirely sure either. I think Australia does it slightly differently as well and I'm not up to university in real life yet xD
I think if you want to learn about it, this article on Wikipedia (click the text) might be a good place to start.

To all three of you,

Credit hours are exactly what they sound like. Credit for the hours you spend in class at the college you are attending. Every class you take is worth a certain number of credits, and most bachelor degrees in the united states require somewhere around 120 credits. Each class is, give or take, 3 credits, depending on difficulty and the estimated time requirements. Harder classes like physics or chemistry can be worth up to 6 credits, whereas Physical Education classes are typically only worth one.

In the end, you need to take a certain amount to get the degree you are aiming for.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Apr 2013 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alchemistlover21
So then does this mean, theoretically, if I downloaded this mod that I could get a degree without even going to the University?

You know how when you take the aptitude test, you are awarded credit hours already based on what skills your sims already learned (logic, charisma, etc.)? The maximum you can get from the aptitude test is 18. That's way past the 6 needed for the degree.

Amirite?

I'm not 100% sure how that works, however, in one family I tested this with, two of the YAs had taken the aptitude test before I installed the mod, got 18 bonus credits but not actually received a degree as such. I think you still need to visit the University and pass the final exam and everything to trigger the degree being awarded.

Also, there's a line in another xml about University courses saying that only 85% of the credits left required for a degree can be awarded in an aptitude test - so it may mean that 18 credits might not be given. I can't confirm the accuracy of this, though, as of yet.
Theorist
THANKS POST
#16 Old 8th Apr 2013 at 4:45 PM
I want the most cheaty/easy version so that would be the Degrees1CreditHour right?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Apr 2013 at 10:16 PM
That's correct, Y2kRobie.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#18 Old 9th Apr 2013 at 12:11 AM
While you were powing around finding this...would you happen to have seen anything to adjust the length of time you spend at Uni?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#19 Old 9th Apr 2013 at 12:29 AM
mswilson2007: I was looking around for something like that in the Uni XMLs and couldn't find anything, unfortunately. I didn't look too hard so I might have missed it, but I don't really have the time at the moment to look any further. xD
Mad Poster
#20 Old 9th Apr 2013 at 9:16 AM
Thanks for this mod. I was going to try something like this, but I never got around to it.
Anyways, great mod

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Forum Resident
#21 Old 9th Apr 2013 at 1:17 PM
Quote:
Credit hours are exactly what they sound like. Credit for the hours you spend in class at the college you are attending. Every class you take is worth a certain number of credits, and most bachelor degrees in the united states require somewhere around 120 credits. Each class is, give or take, 3 credits, depending on difficulty and the estimated time requirements. Harder classes like physics or chemistry can be worth up to 6 credits, whereas Physical Education classes are typically only worth one.

In the end, you need to take a certain amount to get the degree you are aiming for.

Thank you, alchemistlover21, to "illuminated" me. Now I know what i must do.
Test Subject
#22 Old 12th Apr 2013 at 8:24 PM
Hey, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this but I downloaded the 6 credits = degree flavour and when I copied the package file to my mods folder and started the game I created a new family and enrolled them into university. now, when the real time begins, the performance meter doesn't show and although the days do show and the work tab does mention they are students, there is no class schedule and they don't go to any classes, and when the semester ended both the sims I enrolled finished their degree with a C (there was no final exam as well). I wanted to ask if anyone else is experiencing this and if not then how to fix it and if it's not fixable then does anyone know how do I make them get an A instead of a C?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#23 Old 12th Apr 2013 at 11:12 PM
kingjame: I haven't encountered any problems like that with my test through university. Do you have any other mods relating to university which may be conflicting? The settings for classes are handled in a different xml to the one this mod edits so unless anyone else can report the same problem I don't think it's anything to do with this mod. I'd say it's either a conflict or a once-off EA glitch.
Test Subject
#24 Old 13th Apr 2013 at 12:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Beccapixie10
kingjame: I haven't encountered any problems like that with my test through university. Do you have any other mods relating to university which may be conflicting? The settings for classes are handled in a different xml to the one this mod edits so unless anyone else can report the same problem I don't think it's anything to do with this mod. I'd say it's either a conflict or a once-off EA glitch.

Hmmm well the only other mods I have are the no maxis intro and the Yawn mod, I doubt that your mod has a conflict with these two. I'll try to download a different flavour and test it to see if I still encounter the same problem.
Oh I also have the Nraas story progression mods but I also doubt that they conflict with yours.
Thanks
Alchemist
Original Poster
#25 Old 13th Apr 2013 at 1:24 PM
I know it doesn't conflict with most of the Nraas mods, I use almost all of them.
It's possible it could have been a random EA glitch - I've had classes be in session but not actually exist when trying to attend them and performance meters disappear for sims occasionally, with and without this mod (even with no CC at all).
Hopefully you can sort it out - if you still want to use that flavour, try testing with another family in another save and see if the same thing happens.
Page 1 of 3