Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

University Degree Tweaks: Counts for Education and Social Group Jobs + FLAVOURS

by Aalea Posted 10th Apr 2013 at 7:34 PM - Updated 6th Aug 2013 at 8:43 PM by Aalea : Adding flavours

103 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 55 Feedback Posts, 47 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 5
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#2 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 8:19 PM
This is great, thank you so much!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#3 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 8:53 PM
Yes! Finally have something in the University courses that benefits the Education Career. I have a few teachers in my game and was scratching my head to figure out what course they should take to benefit their career, then to find out it doesn't matter, there's no bump with a degree.

I will definitely try this out in my test world. Thank you very much.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 9:03 PM
Excellent! This way, university feels more included in "real Sim life".
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 9:41 PM
This is awesome. Thanks so much. Wouldn't the Phys Ed. major be better suited towards the Sports Agent Career tho?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 9:44 PM
Great Mod, Love the idea, interesting it was not considered when the EP was built by EA. Curious though as to why you added the sports agent career to the business degree and not the Phys Ed degree. I am sure it is something with the XML, just curious.

Great Mod.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#7 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 9:50 PM
This is so cool, thank you

You wouldn't happen to be willing to add writing to the fine arts, too? It irritates me to no end that freaking nectar making and cooking are considered "arts", but writing isn't... :/
Test Subject
#8 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 9:51 PM
Love this, it's amazing. I've been waiting for something exactly like this since Uni came out.

Question though. Could you add Law Enforcement/Military/Criminal Careers to the Phys Ed degree? Or at least add an Athletic metric to the Tech degree? It really baffles me that these three very physical careers don't also have a fitness component...
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 10:33 PM
I'd love to see a flavour that adds the evil trait to the aptitude for the science degree, personally, that way my mad scientists could get their PhD in horribleness.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 11:08 PM
Cool! Thanks for this. I did find it very odd that there were no degree benefits for teachers. Oh, EA.

Quote: Originally posted by Red Queen
You wouldn't happen to be willing to add writing to the fine arts, too?

I second this!

I need an adult!! Oh, wait, I am an adult...

I want a refund.
Test Subject
#11 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 12:40 AM
This is so cool, thank you

You wouldn't happen to be willing to add writing to the fine arts, too? It irritates me to no end that freaking nectar making and cooking are considered "arts", but writing isn't... :/

To that extent, add self employed painting and sculpting as well...seriously surprised EA did not think these degrees through all the way. Glad someone is!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 12:57 AM Last edited by Aalea : 11th Apr 2013 at 4:14 AM.
@Red Queen & Lillithmae
I can certainly add writing to the fine arts major. In fact I may just update the base file to include that because it that just makes too much sense to have it in only a flavour package.

@BajanEmpress and TranquilInsanity
That would make sense in theory, wouldn't it? I chose the business major because the skill metrics for Sports Agent are Charisma and Social Networking, which are exactly in line with the skills for the Business degree. If people want I can add it to the Phys Ed. degree as well/instead.

@Mikkiness
Alright, I can make a flavour where those careers are added to the Phys Ed. degree. It is sad that the Athletic career is all alone in benefiting from that degree, and that will make it a much more viable/useful thing to major in. And frankly, while I'm at it I may as well put the athletic skill into the Tech major seeing as 2 of the three careers it serves are athletic based.

@Rurik_Niall
Can do :)

Okay and finally, for flavours where some careers benefit from multiple degrees, they may take a bit longer because I want to test if anything funky happens if a sim tries to get a career if they have two degrees that work towards that job.

Edited to Add: So theoretically, I should have uploaded three flavours now, they haven't seemed to have loaded quite yet, but they should show up soon.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#13 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 4:19 AM
Thanks so much for all this! And the adjustments! I was just talking to someone the other day about how the career and degree match ups didn't make sense and this mod definitely helps!
Test Subject
#14 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 4:22 AM
Quote:
@Mikkiness Alright, I can make a flavour where those careers are added to the Phys Ed. degree. It is sad that the Athletic career is all alone in benefiting from that degree, and that will make it a much more viable/useful thing to major in. And frankly, while I'm at it I may as well put the athletic skill into the Tech major seeing as 2 of the three careers it serves are athletic based.

You are amazing! Thanks so much - I'm going to download this right now.

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#15 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 4:39 AM Last edited by Alizatina : 11th Apr 2013 at 4:44 AM. Reason: Forgot something :)
Thanks for making this, because I was eyeing the academic degrees in S3PE, but worried about tuning it and kinda too lazy to test it :P

I was wondering if you thought about testing the adding of custom careers? Or Do you think that wouldn't even work?
I was mainly thinking about adding the to mine "Fun with Seasons" Sport Careers (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=491308) So there would be more options for the Psychical Edu degree
Test Subject
#16 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 4:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BajanEmpress
This is awesome. Thanks so much. Wouldn't the Phys Ed. major be better suited towards the Sports Agent Career tho?

Quote: Originally posted by TranquilInsanity
Great Mod, Love the idea, interesting it was not considered when the EP was built by EA. Curious though as to why you added the sports agent career to the business degree and not the Phys Ed degree. I am sure it is something with the XML, just curious.

Great Mod.

A working knowledge of physical education or even a secondary degree yes but for the primary degree business is more appropriate since an agent would be dealing with the contracts, endorsements, etc. of the sports stars they represent.
Test Subject
#17 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 5:54 AM
Oh, thank you so much for the new flavours! <3

Just on question, though: Are all the aptitudes/changed skill relations in every flavour, or do I have to use, say, the "Writing is art!" flavour AND the "Make PhysEd matter" flavour to have both in my game? If so, does that even work? Or should I just try and see and then post the results, so everyone knows?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 6:40 AM
Thaaaank yooooou! Seriously! This is so great! Amazing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 1:28 PM Last edited by Aalea : 11th Apr 2013 at 1:52 PM.
Oh, thank you so much for the new flavours! <3

Just on question, though: Are all the aptitudes/changed skill relations in every flavour, or do I have to use, say, the "Writing is art!" flavour AND the "Make PhysEd matter" flavour to have both in my game? If so, does that even work? Or should I just try and see and then post the results, so everyone knows?

You can only have one flavour/version of the mod at a time, but I'll add in another flavour that combines those two. And the current flavours are all in addition to the base features, so all of those still apply, if instead that's what you're asking.

And @Alizatina:
Hmm, not sure how I would do that, it would be pretty awesome though. I might ask Twallan about it, because I'm not sure how Careers handles the University degrees. I know that adding custom careers would be a bit beyond a simple XML edit, because the strings in the file only reference the careers listed in the GameplayData files. But yeah, I'm pretty sure that would have to be included within the base Careers mod itself as a tunable file.

Also, just a general thing to everyone, I'm going to try to mess around with the professions and see if they work properly benefiting from university degrees. I can see why EA chose not to, because it makes more sense to just start in the profession and get the experience, but I'm sure there are peoples out there who'd like that as a feature.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#20 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 2:33 PM
Okay, so if I want the 'C-C-C-Combo flavour', I have to delete the basic?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MariTom
Okay, so if I want the 'C-C-C-Combo flavour', I have to delete the basic?

Well, the file names are all the same, so if you put it in the same folder it should override it. But yes, you can only have one version of the mod at a time. I'm not really sure what happens if you had both, I think the game would just ignore one of them.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#22 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 4:42 PM
Thanks so much for this! Been waiting for something like this since Uni came out! Thought it was senseless that teachers were left out, and the self employed architectural designers as well... I have a Sim with a fine arts degree who was employed as an architect and she got NO career boost, which made no sense at all.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#23 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 6:54 PM
I like the idea, but it seems to me that Education would be more suited to the Communication major than to Business.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#24 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 9:48 PM
Awesome, it always struck me as odd that business was the designated evil degree, now my mad scientists can get the proper degree.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#25 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 9:54 PM
that's ea for you no logic in anything they do anymore :P
Page 1 of 5