Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 15th Dec 2013 at 8:12 PM
I found out awhile ago that when the model train catches fire, it is a nasty fire. The parents were at work and a nanny was taking care of a toddler. The dumb nanny ignored the toddler to play with the model train set, and caused a huge fire in the back yard. I didn't know at the time that it could catch fire, so I didn't put a fire alarm in the back yard. The toddler couldn't call emergency services and the nanny was on fire. I had a bad feeling the nanny was going to die, and it would be hours before the parents got home from work, I exited without saving because I didn't want the toddler to be taken away for being left home alone with the nanny dying from being on fire and the parents still at work.

I now have a mod that stops model train fires.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 2:45 AM
You had people autonomously take babies outside? When a visitor did this during a recent fire, I thought it was a GLITCH. I had a mod that made them fight the fire instead of "mothing" it, but fires are more fun...

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 3:11 AM
You should always have a sprinkler above the train set and yes sims will take babies and toddlers outside during a fire, that's game behavior not a glitch.

Quote: Originally posted by bnefriends
That's not true; I got fined one time when the game bugged out and, despite having a fire alarm, the fire department didn't come until the fire was over with. When they showed up, they fined the Sim family for a false report (stupid idiot firefighter, you're response time sucks and it's my fault?).

Glitches or bugs in your game don't count because that isn't the way it's supposed to happen. if things are working properly a fire alarm will not result in a fine.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 4:01 AM
They move the toddlers and babies all the time. It's cause the gray lady protects them.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Forum Resident
#30 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 4:58 AM
If my memory serves correctly, toddlers can't even burn anyway; I do believe I deliberately tried to BBQ one once. As a matter of fact, I don't think toddlers can die in anyway.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 5:10 AM
I'm pretty sure that toddlers and infants can not die at all, much against my (numerous) desires. The worst that can happen to them is motive failure resulting in the loss of the child via CPS, or, if you have anti-CPS mods in your game, they just get cranky and whine for a long time until they are taken care of. There is the OMGWTFBBQ hacked grill, which lets sims cook and eat infants, but that's about all I know of for external objects letting infants and tots die. I don't know about children because, quite frankly, I've always been too scared to try killing them.. never bothered making a test family to do this.

In regards to the autonomy of my sims removing toddlers and infants from the fire at the orphanage, I distinctly remember some of the sims dropping everying (well, in this case, the infants/tots) to go gawk at the fire. But at least one sim kept trying to move the kids out of danger.

Take the Hard Hat Challenge. A relatively quick challenge designed to be added into almost any established hood.

Hollow Tune - Brick 'N' Mortar.

{San-Yip-See-Ah}
Mad Poster
#32 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 10:30 AM
Maybe the moving out of danger is if they read the 'fire safety' book.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 5:25 PM
I've had several fires in my game, but none were fatal, since most are caused by lightening. Though, I did get a fire once that almost killed one of sims' son. What happened was that there was this carpet placed next to the fireplace, but to me, it didn't seems like it would actually catch fire, its not like it was placed under the fireplace itself, but it caught on fire and everyone in the household panicked. The Grandfather caught on fire, and kid did too, can't remember if they died or not, but none of that did remain as a memorable event cause the game crashed. :P
Field Researcher
#34 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sanypsia
I'm pretty sure that toddlers and infants can not die at all, much against my (numerous) desires. The worst that can happen to them is motive failure resulting in the loss of the child via CPS, or, if you have anti-CPS mods in your game, they just get cranky and whine for a long time until they are taken care of. There is the OMGWTFBBQ hacked grill, which lets sims cook and eat infants, but that's about all I know of for external objects letting infants and tots die. I don't know about children because, quite frankly, I've always been too scared to try killing them.. never bothered making a test family to do this.

In regards to the autonomy of my sims removing toddlers and infants from the fire at the orphanage, I distinctly remember some of the sims dropping everying (well, in this case, the infants/tots) to go gawk at the fire. But at least one sim kept trying to move the kids out of danger.

Children can die. I had an old neighborhood where a mom and her son were looking at clouds in their front yard when a satellite fell from the sky and killed the boy. Nothing like that has ever happened to me again, although I've avoided the looking at clouds interaction since.

As for fire, I put sprinklers in all my houses (the sound of the fire alarm is annoying), so the only fires that aren't controlled are deliberate plot devices.
Scholar
#35 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 2:49 AM
I have had two especially memorable fires in Sims 2. The first happened quite soon after I upgraded. Two Sims got married as part of a scheme to hatch evil in the neighbourhood. They'd thought through their plot in every way and were enjoying their wedding reception in their spacious kitchen with about 10 guests. Trouble was, their room-mate made a complete mess of cooking the wedding feast. The cooking caught fire and the flailing (and soon-on-fire) room-mate blocked the sole exit. (The evildoers' architect had not built the house to Health and Safety best practice principles).

Good news for the town: the evil-doing couple died.
Bad news for the town: so did about 10 innocent Sims (11 if we're counting the room-mate who started the fire).

It is unclear whether the guest who was in the bathroom while all this started (and thus survived) ever recovered from the shock.

The other story is a very rare example of a fatal lightning fire. It struck a small tree in front of a university dorm. I thought it would be just another fire, until it spread to the flowerbeds either side. I still didn't pay it much heed as I thought my Sims were safely indoors doing their coursework. Then I noticed Jasmine Tai head outside. Her queue action had a fire symbol... ...and when I put my cursor over it, it said "Eat". Puzzled as to why Jasmine would have such strange culinary tastes, I directed her back into the canteen. She ignored me and went to the fire. Perhaps she was attempting to join the circus. If so, she failed the pre-employment test because she immediately caught fire. Her fellow dormie put her out, I directed both to the canteen... ...and Jasmine ignored me to go and eat fire. Even toddlers have enough intelligence not to do that, but appearently this sophomore with good grades was stupider than a toddler. She died, ensuring her name passed into SimHampton University folklore as the most foolish Sim in SimHampton, and possible SimNation.
Forum Resident
#36 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by egswanso
Children can die. I had an old neighborhood where a mom and her son were looking at clouds in their front yard when a satellite fell from the sky and killed the boy. Nothing like that has ever happened to me again, although I've avoided the looking at clouds interaction since.

As for fire, I put sprinklers in all my houses (the sound of the fire alarm is annoying), so the only fires that aren't controlled are deliberate plot devices.

Children can die by fire, drowning, satellites, and a few other ways; I've seen it happen to many of them, but infants and toddlers can't even die using Rodney's Death Creator. Children will be taken away by the social worker before they starve to death, but death by starvation can be induced using Rodney's Death Creator.
Field Researcher
#37 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bnefriends
Children can die by fire, drowning, satellites, and a few other ways; I've seen it happen to many of them, but infants and toddlers can't even die using Rodney's Death Creator. Children will be taken away by the social worker before they starve to death, but death by starvation can be induced using Rodney's Death Creator.

Or you can just get the baby grill. Now, personally I'm not quite sure why (outside of a historical scenario), a simmer would want to kill sim babies, but hey, to each their own.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 8:07 PM
Realism? In real life, babies die. It's awful, but it's true, and people live through it. I made my Sim have a miscarriage after she found her husband cheating on her, because I found it realistic that she would miscarry as a result of the misery of her life crumbling around her. She is since happily dating a younger man, and will be carrying his child once my story goes on

I'd not use the baby grill because I think it's too gruesome, and I would not like the visual, but I can see why a Simmer would want a baby to die.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 9:35 PM Last edited by grammapat : 18th Dec 2013 at 9:46 PM.
gummilutt: about "miscarriage" - I've heard a number of people refer to it. We are talking Sims2 aren't we? Does that really happen? The only thing I've seen like that is when 2 female cats were pregnant, I got an error message and hit "delete" - the only Sim on the lot disappeared. Of course he was back when I reentered the house, but the authorities STILL showed up and took the cats. He got them back by adoption, and they were no longer pregnant. Odd.

FIRES: I've had the frustrating one a lot, where an outside alarm keeps going off, waking everyone up. The firemen show - there IS no fire. They finally leave, but keep coming back. And I can't FIND the fire! If there are pine trees, I can move them around and finally find the fire and "remove" it (yes, this type of fire DOES allow moving objects). But sometimes I remove everything in the yard and can't find a fire!

My stupidest fire: I build a tiny kitchen, with a 1-person entrance. Fire; cat on counter, man runs to fire, another cat runs to fire - firemen show up; they can't get to fire but won't move; nobody in kitchen can get out. Pets can't die from fire, but one ran away.

Funniest fire: building a house on a vacant lot with a large family there already, build a small bathroom, wondered what would happen if I put the odd contraption that makes fire (and a whomp whomp sound) IN the toilet (move objects of course). Guy sits down, whomp whomp; no, he didn't notice and his butt didn't catch on fire. I put a crib in the bathroom so the baby could get some sleep. Somebody picked the baby up and dropped him in front of the toilet; people just stepped over him to use it. Than somebody changed the diaper and put the baby in the crib. The diaper was right in front of the toilet and whomp whomp device; IT ignighted! burning poo..yea! The bathroom was missing a wall, the alarm in the unfinished kitchen went off. Someone ran to save the baby (hero!) and dropped it NEXT to the toilet (stupid hero!). Now the fire men show up, run to the fire (brave fire man) spray it a bit (with no result, are you new at this?) - stand and look at it, take a few steps to the baby, stand and look at IT (THINK, fireman, THINK!) then RUN AWAY! Yes, RAN, all the way to the fire truck. Going for help? going to read the manual? Then he ran back to the fire and repeated this --so many times I have film AND pictures!
PS eventually the fireman must have called for backup and one of them DID put out the fire (and I quickly deleted the whomp whomp fire device. Baby OK , and the toilet didn't even burn up! And everyone was so busy fighting/starving/ making more babies they ignored the PISSED baby. This WAS, after all, the inmate challenge.

Mad Poster
#40 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 11:13 PM
Miscarriage is a feature of inteen. So yes, it happens in Sims 2, but only if you have inteen and choose not to get a flavor pak that prevents it from happening.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 11:13 PM
Grammapat, those of us with inteen have the option for a miscarriage plug-in with custom memory. I think there are other hacks out there for the same thing.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#42 Old 19th Dec 2013 at 1:46 AM
Thanks Sunbee & Gummy. And what was someone "disagreeing" with on my post?

Forum Resident
#43 Old 19th Dec 2013 at 3:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by egswanso
Or you can just get the baby grill. Now, personally I'm not quite sure why (outside of a historical scenario), a simmer would want to kill sim babies, but hey, to each their own.

As I understand, the OMGWTFBBQ only works on infants, so toddlers are still indestructible.

Oh, and btw, the reason for trying to kill young-ans was for an apocalyptic scenario; demons were trying to kill them.
Scholar
#44 Old 19th Dec 2013 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
I found out awhile ago that when the model train catches fire, it is a nasty fire. The parents were at work and a nanny was taking care of a toddler. The dumb nanny ignored the toddler to play with the model train set, and caused a huge fire in the back yard. I didn't know at the time that it could catch fire, so I didn't put a fire alarm in the back yard. The toddler couldn't call emergency services and the nanny was on fire. I had a bad feeling the nanny was going to die, and it would be hours before the parents got home from work, I exited without saving because I didn't want the toddler to be taken away for being left home alone with the nanny dying from being on fire and the parents still at work.

I now have a mod that stops model train fires.

Model trains on fire? Good thing to know.

I do not have any big fire stories myself but my sims DO have a tradition of being clumsy from time to time while they prepere food. So far nobody died from it. But there was one case I can tell you aboute and that was when one adult female sims was ouside her hause raking leaves. Throing the leaves away would take quite long time so I told her to burn it instead. Big misstake! Of course the girl did catch fire and burned herself so bad that the grimreaper showed up. The other woman on the lot (the dead sims girlfriend) and her doughter came outside and cried over the dead familymember. It was so sad . I did exit the lot whitout saving and since then I do not let the sims burn any leaves again.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 21st Dec 2013 at 9:55 AM
About fires: recently in Thalia, I did have another tragic fire-lighting struck the large cactus on a lot, then it took off for everything that was burnable on the lot-including the road. Seeing this develop, I quickly locked Tony Hart into his house, woke him up to call the fire department.

I forgot that his wife came home from work at 3. Upon seeing the flames and the firemen she immediately freaked out and became a victim. The firemen worked for about 4 hours putting out the flames. None of them perished this time, thankfully. They left muttering vague warnings about 'being more careful about pruning those bushes'.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 22nd Dec 2013 at 5:09 PM
The ROAD on fire?!

Mad Poster
#47 Old 22nd Dec 2013 at 7:05 PM
Yes-if you have a road overlay or a terrain overlay on the road, it can burn. Really. I've had it happen twice. Not surprising, but when the fire is done, you can hand-delete the ashes for ยง1 each. Make money from tragedy! *evil laugh*
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 2:21 AM
Now that the whole thread has been read (*NO PUN INTENDED WHAT-SO EVER*) time to share my stories!

Premeditated Fire had to be a male adult sim I made back when I had just started playing the PC version of the Sims 2. The whole "incident" occurred on the smallest lot possible with a Base Game and OFB config. I had built a small building and trapped him inside with some essentials I took out throughout his "stay". Before his demise, he owned a business selling fish tanks but couldn't make profits , visited with the social bunny, and had aspirational failure once (if I recall correctly). Then the good ol' toaster pastry did him in.

Accidental Fire occurred in one of my many quick lil' dips into Veronaville. I had loaded up the Summerdreams' mid-party, I made Puck kiss Hermia, and Titania and Oberon were about to get married in the rain when-- FIRE! Gotta love Seasons . So it ended up getting put out, the two were wed, and the party got an awesome score! Yep, fires truly make the party.

Posting all generations of The Sims, from the first through the foruth.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 3:50 AM
And a near tragedy... pregnant sim put food in oven, houseful of guests - and went into labor right in front of the stove! Black smoke..nobody can get the food... "and what is the name of this new bundle of joy?" how about "Redrum"? ...mommy burned up because of me, then everyone else burned up because they rushed the kitchen to watch the poor woman give birth (bunch of perverts), and tried to pick me up when I was perfectly HAPPY laying in the flames on the floor"...
At which point I could exit, and did NOT save.

Forum Resident
#50 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
And a near tragedy... pregnant sim put food in oven, houseful of guests - and went into labor right in front of the stove! Black smoke..nobody can get the food... "and what is the name of this new bundle of joy?" how about "Redrum"? ...mommy burned up because of me, then everyone else burned up because they rushed the kitchen to watch the poor woman give birth (bunch of perverts), and tried to pick me up when I was perfectly HAPPY laying in the flames on the floor"...
At which point I could exit, and did NOT save.

(S)he was born in blood, just like in the TV show Dexter.
Page 2 of 4