Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: Live mode in the sims games is pronounced...
Live, like alive
2032 66.21%
Live, rhymes with give
740 24.11%
I don't know/don't care/I like to click buttons.
297 9.68%
Voters: 3069. You may not vote on this poll

Test Subject
#51 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 10:48 PM
Personally, I say it can be both; here's why:
Live like alive because what are you doing? You proceed with life as any other day occurance. Thus, the play button.
Ex: And we're live in 4...3...2...1... *Cues*

It COULD also be live like give because of LIVE mode having their slogan: "Live life." You're LIVING out the lives of your sims.
Ex: Live the way you want to in the sims.

This is why English is a confusing language for others. We have too many words that could be another.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 11:33 PM
it's live like give. 3 verbs. buy, build, and live.
Top Secret Researcher
#53 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 11:40 PM
Live, rhymes with alive. Liv mode just sounds so wrong to my ears >.<

My Simblr
He/They
Instructor
#54 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 12:46 AM
Live, like alive.
Live, as compared to paused for build or buy mode.

Example: The news when they say "We're going LIVE to the scene!"

Not buying TS4 until Terrain Sculpting is back and cheatless Split Levels are added!
Here's an idea: Stairs Pitch Slider.
"...We've always been at war with EAstasia."
Top Secret Researcher
#55 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:30 AM
Never actually thought about it before. I tend to say 'live' with a long vowel. Live with a short vowel, just sounds wrong next to mode. Perhaps a different, and less confusing, word altogether should've been used.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 2:07 AM
I never thought about the way I pronounce it but I say live, like give. Possibly because I encounter the 'liv' version more than the 'lyve' version. I don't really care how people pronounce it though. It's like a potato, potato situation to me.

Still is the water green and thick,
He'll drag you under with his stick,
See flaxen gold floats there through the mist,
He killed someone's daughter with his wick,
An arm with grey skin bobs slowly in the pit.
Mad Poster
#57 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 2:27 AM
I have an opinion, but I also just like to click buttons! What should I do!?! I can't handle the stress!!!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Test Subject
#58 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 2:46 AM
Who cares? I don't.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#59 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 3:22 AM Last edited by Don_Babilon : 21st Jul 2014 at 12:53 PM.
[enters Superior Smartass Mode™]
Well, for all you grammar know-nothings, the correct pronunciation of Live Mode is of course 'lyve', because it is not the verb 'to live' that is used here but the adjective 'live' as in 'having life'.
You have been fooled by Buy/Build Mode and erroneous logic, thinking that 'buy' and 'build' are used as verbs here and therefore 'live' has to be a verb, too, but in fact these verbs are used as attributive verbs, which means they function roughly like adjectives. Another example would be 'no-go area'. The same can be done with nouns, btw, as in 'face mask' where the noun 'face' is not a full noun, so to speak, but an adjunct to 'mask'.
[ends Superior Smartass Mode™]

Edit: there's nothing to disagree with unless you come up with a proper explanation as to why 'liv' should be grammatically more correct.

Edit 2: changed the mode implied.
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 4:42 AM
In computer programming, when you take a program out of development and into actual functioning, you go "live" (as in "alive"). Perhaps its my geek showing but I always assumed that the game designers had that in mind.

However, I don't give a rat's ass about how other people pronounce it. I say "melk" not "milk," so I figure I ought to be tolerant of other dialectical choices :smile:
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 5:04 AM
I say "live" like it rhymes with alive. Because the game is no longer paused, it's now live, or running, or playing.
Inconceivable!
#62 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 7:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
Edit: there's nothing to disagree about unless you come up with a proper explanation as to why.

Proper explanation? Lol, okay. I pressed disagree because I don't appreciate being called a "grammar know-nothing", and the tone of your post generally annoyed me. I call it live mode, short i, in my head and will continue to do so, whether it's "erroneous logic" or not. However, that said, I frankly don't care what you and your fellow grammar know-somethings call it. *shrugs* To each his own.

/trying to embrace her bro trait
Test Subject
#63 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 7:38 AM
In my opinion is pronounced like "lyve"
(I'm not English)
Field Researcher
#64 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 7:54 AM
When I read about the game in english, I've always read live (as alive) in my head. But in my language, "Live Mode" was translated to something like "Simulation Mode", soooo... guess that live (as give) would be correct '-'
*that feel when you've spent all your life thinking that something is A, and then you find out that it might be B*

I'm bad at finding CC on my own
My simblr
I'm shy and so I might take longer to reply you '-'
Test Subject
#65 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 8:58 AM
[QUOTE=CatherineTCJD]WiFi. Of course.
If it were meant to be pronounced as you would hi-fi (high fidelity); then they should've used a "Y". Y-fi.
It's not. It's a "W". As in Wii.

So, therefore, live, as in "live"
[/QUOTE

My aunt lives in Australia and she says everyone over there pronounces it Wee Fee. So you are not alone, my friend.
Test Subject
#66 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 8:59 AM
Both pronunciations can be correct in terms of context, because when you go to live mode the game is "going live" (as in alive) but it's also the mode your sims live in (as in give).

But of course it's live like alive and my logic for this is irrefutable: it's because ummm I said so

This discussion is literally a joke, though... So there's seriously no need to be condescending over which one is ~grammatically correct~ or not. Can we play nice?
Test Subject
#67 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 9:05 AM
Personally, in my head I've always called it live, as in alive. But that doesn't mean that the other way is wrong, it's just how our brains read it. It's crazy how angry and offended people are getting over one little word. Seriously, chill out.
Test Subject
#68 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 10:15 AM
I always thought it was Live mode too. It just kinda made sence? But then you think about it and the other way makes sence too. Now I'm sittign here with a headace cause I'm so confused!! I might just never get off second speed so I don't confuse myself!
Test Subject
#69 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 10:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nixx802
[QUOTE=CatherineTCJD]WiFi. Of course.
If it were meant to be pronounced as you would hi-fi (high fidelity); then they should've used a "Y". Y-fi.
It's not. It's a "W". As in Wii.

So, therefore, live, as in "live"
[/QUOTE

My aunt lives in Australia and she says everyone over there pronounces it Wee Fee. So you are not alone, my friend.

Not true, I'm from Aus and we say it Wi Fi the same as Hi Fi...
Test Subject
#70 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 11:41 AM
I have to agree with Don_Babilon, live as in alive, as it's the adjective describing the mode, not the verb (live as in give) - you don't 'live' the mode...

Prost!!
Test Subject
#71 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kaiity
[QUOTE=Nixx802]

Lol. Just my aunt then. Bless her.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#72 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Buckley
Proper explanation? Lol, okay. I pressed disagree because I don't appreciate being called a "grammar know-nothing", and the tone of your post generally annoyed me. I call it live mode, short i, in my head and will continue to do so, whether it's "erroneous logic" or not. However, that said, I frankly don't care what you and your fellow grammar know-somethings call it. *shrugs* To each his own.

/trying to embrace her bro trait
Okay, I edited the post to reflect the tone that was intended. Hopefully this now reads that while my grammatic reasoning still holds the condescension was not to be taken seriously.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 2:44 PM
I think we need a better poll with more demographics like age, amount of time playing sims, location, whether or not your first language is English. Then we can have some fun diving into statistics. (I have a weird feeling, that those who pronounce it as a verb are Brits and those who pronounce it as the adjective are Americans, just by posting style of the people who've replied already, but I could be wrong!)

Even better, let's have an entire sim community census and geek out on the stats.

It's the verb, to live, of course. To build, to buy, to live. If it was an adjective then the others would have been called "shop mode" and "construction mode"
dodgy builder
#74 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 3:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kaiity
Quote: Originally posted by Nixx802

Originally Posted by Nixx802

I'm not native English and don't even see the difference between weefee and wi-fi. I call it live as in alive though, whenever I use that word, don't know if I do.
Page 3 of 9