Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

No-stencil texture override for Kindermade bookcase and desk

by plasticbox Posted 25th Jan 2015 at 2:21 AM

19 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 10 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 10:02 PM
Oh, nice! I'd been annoyed by that stencil but never bothered to actually do anything about it. Now I can use them without hesitation. With limited selection of furniture, more flexibility is always welcome.

And now that I think about it, maybe I should go through all my favorite furniture and make new swatches so I can do a better job of color-matching my furniture... it'll be just like the CAST tool from the Sims 3, but without the comfortable or quick parts. Not sure why I didn't start doing this before.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#3 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 10:31 PM
*gives homemade cookie*

Thank you for your work!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#4 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 11:10 PM
Thank you so much, I hate those crappy stencils on the items....they look so much better without them.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#5 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 12:25 AM
THANK YOU! I hate when Maxis does stuff like this. These are the best cheap desk and bookcase in the game except for those stencils.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#6 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 3:45 AM
Thank-you! I almost didn't recognize these without their stencils. lol
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#7 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 7:53 AM
God bless you. I HATED those stencils.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#8 Old 28th Oct 2014 at 10:56 AM
Thanks so much, the stencils make these had to match, much better without!
Test Subject
#9 Old 30th Oct 2014 at 9:16 PM Last edited by AmorSalado : 30th Oct 2014 at 10:08 PM.
This just doesn't work for me. I don't get it. Everything else works. All the mods, all the clothing, etc. Your electronics and clutter anywhere also work, so why won't the stencils go away?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Oct 2014 at 9:26 PM
AmorSalado, are you looking at the catalogue thumbnails or at the objects in game?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Oct 2014 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
AmorSalado, are you looking at the catalogue thumbnails or at the objects in game?

I'm looking at the objects in the game.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Oct 2014 at 11:27 PM
Hm. Sure you have unzipped it and put it in /Mods, where all your other mods are?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
#13 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 4:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Hm. Sure you have unzipped it and put it in /Mods, where all your other mods are?

Positive. Everything is in the correct place, and everything else works. I just don't understand at all.
Test Subject
#14 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 2:40 PM
I deleted it. Took everything out of my mods folder, redownloaded it, and put it back. It works when nothing else is in there. Something is conflicting. I don't know enough about mods to know what/how/why, so I'm going with the dates back to Sims 1 process of adding things back in a bit of a time to see if I can find the culprit.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#15 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 2:33 AM
i also had the problem amorsalado was having. i wonder what the conflict was? could it possibly be overrides for a different object?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 3:28 AM
No, the only conflict could be if you have other overrides for the *same* object.

Instructor
#17 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 11:25 PM
Hey plasticbox! Strange, these overrides have never worked for me; even before the patch and after, in a new game, no mods. I know you're aware, but maybe possibly you just cannot produce the problem in your game?

Really hope a solution becomes available, I was excited to find this mod. ;-)

22 I will give him the key to the house of David. When he opens doors, no one will be able to close them; when he closes doors, no one will be able to open them.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 20th Jan 2015 at 8:09 AM
For me this works. Have you unzipped the package, put it in your Mods folder, and checked whether the stencil appears on actual in-game objects? The catalogue preview won't change unless you delete localthumbscache .. these are texture overrides, not defaults.

Instructor
#19 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 1:05 PM
Yes. I can confirm, I had done all of the above. Just clarifying,I am not referring to the thumbnail images. I have no clue why this is happening, sorry.

22 I will give him the key to the house of David. When he opens doors, no one will be able to close them; when he closes doors, no one will be able to open them.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 1:27 PM
Weird. My only idea right now is that you might have other CC that overrides my overrides .. do you have any "recolours" (i.e. clones) of that desk/bookcase? Maybe the original textures have somehow ended up in those packages. (I see that you said "no mods" above, but sometimes people don't think of recolours as "mods" .. also, AmorSalado said above "Took everything out of my mods folder, redownloaded it, and put it back. It works when nothing else is in there.")

If we can find out which other CC is conflicting here, I could at least put a note in the upload description -- and perhaps one could also make the other creator aware of the issue; I guess the problem would be with something that isn't properly labeled as being an override. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many people (well, three) with the same issue .. you all seem like you can read and write =P)