Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 12:36 PM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 31st Dec 2014 at 10:48 AM.
Default Blue Screen Of Death, please help! Same problem again 2 months later, do I need a new computer?
Hello everyone. First of all I must apologise, as I haven't been very active on Mod the Sims recently, so it seems a bit cheeky to come and ask for help, but I'm not sure who else to turn to.

So this morning (my birthday actually, what a present! lol!), I opened my post, one of which was a letter from the bank telling me that I had gone overdrawn (might be relevant). I wasn't too surprised, as I am on the dole and struggling to budget.

I turned my computer on and went to my usual morning websites. The first thing I noticed which was weird was that I had over $3500 in My Candy Love dollars. My Candy Love dollars can be bought with real money and are very expensive, so alarm bells were going off, as I haven't bought anything on there since Halloween, and I only bought about $1500 (long story).

I decided to go and check my Paypal transactions to see if I could spot anything dodgy. I thought I would be careful and go to Paypal via one of their e-mails, rather than just googling Paypal. So I went to my e-mail, as I am looking for work I had loads of job search e-mails, I moved them and went through my inbox, just to keep it tidy. Well there was one e-mail which said it was from Youtube, and that someone had sent me a message (it did give a name but I can't remember it). I opened it, it said something like "here's that girl I was telling you about, I think you should get together". So I pressed 'Junk', as I just thought it was spam.

My e-mail froze almost instantly, and I couldn't use the internet. My computer shut down and I got the Blue Screen of Death. It then said something about Windows shutting down, and I got this screen (will add photo later) I phoned my friend from work, he said to try to start the computer in Safe Mode. I have done that, and my computer is sitting on the sofa doing a Malware scan (I told it to).

When the Malware scan has finished I am intending to do an Avast scan aswell.

I don't really know what else to do, and how do I remove the dodgy e-mail from my e-mail account without setting it off? I don't even know if my e-mail account is safe now or what.

Has anyone got any advice please?

PS I am using my mum's computer to type this, I can't access my computer specs, but will try to find them from one of my other posts.

PPS I have no idea how to use this laptop, it's a nightmare, so photos might be a while.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 1:24 PM
As long as your email client isn't set up to automatically download attachments from unknown senders (most don't by default), you won't get a virus from just opening an email, and you won't get a virus from just sending one to junk either. I think the timing of the BSOD was a coincidence. That said, it's a good move to run a virus scan when you get a BSOD, and also when you suspect you've been a victim of fraud, as both can be caused by malware.

It's actually not safer to go to a site via an email, since scammers can and do frequently send official-looking emails, which appear to be from companies like PayPal (and indeed Youtube!), with fake links for phishing purposes. I fell for one just this morning 'cause I was on my phone and couldn't see that the link was dodgy until after it had loaded. On the other hand, it's very difficult for scammers to manipulate google's results for big companies like PayPal. Even better is to know the url of the site and type it in yourself - the only way that can really go wrong is if you've been the victim of a DNS attack which changes the IP addresses your computer looks at for a given domain name, and those kinds of attacks will affect any website you visit, no matter how you get there.

Once you get to the website, especially for a financial service like PayPal, check that it has an appropriate SSL security certificate by clicking on the relevant icon in your browser, which is usually a padlock icon. There's more detail on that here: http://info.ssl.com/article.aspx?id=10068

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 8:46 PM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 7th Nov 2014 at 2:43 AM.
Aah thank you for answering me. I was trying to upload some photos to my mum's computer, to add to my post, and the internet connection went down, which is why it's incomplete. It was the last straw, so I just went for a nap and then we went to the pub to see some fireworks for my birthday.

Thank you for your help, I will probably try to fix my laptop tomorrow, as I just want to relax tonight. I really appreciate the advice and information, thanks

EDIT-Hiya, thanks again for answering me x No my e-mail is not set up to automatically download things, it's actually set up to disable images and attachments, so it always asks me if I trust the sender before I can access those things. I didn't download anything from the e-mail, just read it and clicked 'Junk'.

The internet is back up again, so I turned on my computer normally and did another Malware scan, and a full Avast scan. Nothing was found, and it seems to all be fine, luckily! I reported the dodgy e-mail just in case.

As for fraud, I checked my Paypal, which was fine, and I also went into the bank today and checked my account, everything is fine. I had just overspent, which is lucky in a way but obviously I need to budget better! I think it went overdrawn because I had bought a bookcase, a fan, and a couple of Christmas presents. The My Candy Love dollars thing is a bit weird, but I went on the forums and read the event thread (they hadn't charged me for the extra dollars), and someone mentioned something about getting double the amount of dollars if you bought them between a certain time period. The maths doesn't quite add up, but I'm putting it down to that for now.

Thank you for the warning about e-mails. However, I buy a lot of things from ebay, so the old e-mails I would have used are the receipts that Paypal sends you every time you buy something from ebay, so hopefully they are safe? I didn't know that about Google, that's helpful, thanks.

I think I know what you mean about the padlock, I'm sure I've seen it before. Also my computer does a little green tick next to search results on Google, if it thinks they are safe. I'm going to read the article you linked to now

Thanks once again for all your help :lovestruc , it's much appreciated! <3 Fingers crossed my computer seems to be ok now!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th Nov 2014 at 12:26 PM
You're welcome! I'm glad everything turned out okay. Yeah, email receipts should be fine - anything that you know was sent to you for a specific reason - just not newsletters and unsolicited emails etc.

Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Dec 2014 at 10:47 AM
Hello everyone, I hope you've all had a nice Christmas.

I am having the same problem again with my laptop, I had the Blue Screen of Death again the day before yesterday. I went into safe mode, did a Malware scan (which was clean), then started it up normally, did an Avast scan (which was clean), did another Malware scan (which was clean).I couldn't find anything wrong. I was a bit suspicious that it had happened again after less than 2 months, but put it behind me.

It has done it again this morning. Both times I was just on the internet, using websites which I use all the time. I didn't notice anything unusual.

Do I need to buy a new laptop?

Any advice would be appreciated, even if it is just to say "buy a new laptop".

Thanks again

PS I do have internet access as I am borrowing my mum's laptop for now.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Jan 2015 at 4:31 PM
Did you happen to spot the error this time? It would have been a stop code (which looks like a TS2 GUID) followed by some error text in all capitals. That's the only thing that'll really tell you what's wrong.

Test Subject
#7 Old 1st Jan 2015 at 8:36 PM
How old is your laptop? My laptop has been coming up with BSODs more regularly than usual, and it's about 3-4 years old. It could explain something.
You could try doing a SpyBot scan to see if there's anything like spyware/malicious program that could cause it. It's free (for personal use) and reliable - my dad's been using it for years.

"They're all morons!" - Yui
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 9:01 AM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 3rd Jan 2015 at 10:18 AM.
Thank you both for answering me.

Nysha-No, sadly my reaction was a bit slow, maybe because I've been ill for a couple of weeks and my brain's a bit fuzzy! I slowly realised what might be happening when everything froze, but when the actual blue screen appeared, it wasn't there for very long before the computer shut down. Next time I will try to have a proper look. I have to press the 'FN' button at the same time as the 'prtsc' button to take screenshots, would this work during a BSOD?

xYuixNyanx-It is about 3 or 4 years old, I think I got it in 2011. It was definitely November, because it was a birthday present. Thanks I might try that.

Thanks for the advice, it seems to be working ok at the moment, fingers crossed, but I think I'll try to investigate a bit further. EDIT- I have been re-reading this thread here http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...25#startcomment and looking at my Startup things with CCleaner (and comparing them to the ones on P2 #45 of the linked thread).

Thanks
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 2:42 PM
Taking a printscreen won't work during a BSOD, but you can change your settings so that the BSOD screen will stick around instead of the computer immediately restarting. Once you've had time to note down the error (or, hell, take a picture), you can then restart the computer using the button on the case. Here are some instructions for Win7: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windo...t-windows-7.htm

I don't know anything about the conime thing. The google update stuff will have been installed with Chrome; as far as I know, you can't get rid of it, but it shouldn't cause any problems.

Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Jan 2015 at 10:46 AM
Oh thank you, that link was really helpful, and easy to follow aswell, especially for a computer idiot like me! I've done it just now, so hopefully if I get another one I'll have time to run upstairs and get my camera!

Thanks, I thought it was a bit weird how they both suddenly appeared out of nowhere (The conime and the Google update stuff), but maybe they came with a Windows update or something? I have to admit I have it set to automatically update, as I have no idea what any of the things are that it's doing anyway.

Thanks for helping, I hope you're having a nice new year so far!
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 4:17 PM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 18th Jan 2015 at 4:30 PM.
Hello everyone, I just had another BSOD yesterday. I couldn't get the screen in one photo with the writing big enough to read, so I'm just going to type out what it said here (I'm using my photos of half screens etc. to get what it said): "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFAA80099A17A0, 0x FFFFFA80099A1A80, 0xFFFFF800033CC500)

Collecting data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump...
Physical memory dump FAILED with status 0xC0000010.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance."

I'm going to try Googling it, but I thought I would post it here aswell, in case any experts know what it means, and also so I have a record of it.

As usual, I did a Malware scan, and a full system Avast scan, neither of which found any problems. Actually does anyone know what this means please? Am I really not protected, or are they just trying to get money out of me?

Thanks
Mad Poster
#12 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 5:32 PM
Looks like you've got a free trial that has run out.
You might have to either find a free antivirus/ant-malware program, or buy one.

That's much the same BSOD I've gotten on my desktop computer. I think my problem might be a somewhat faulty Windows install, or some internal part screwing up, because it's been misbehaving on and off since a few months after I got it. The BSOD is a more recent problem. Earlier it would freeze up just after startup.
Test Subject
#13 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 8:46 PM
The Malwarebytes' Anti-malware thing is because you downloaded the free trial of the premium version. You can get the free version (which has fewer features but can scan your PC all the same) here: https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Just click on "Free Version Download". Unlike the trial, it will not expire, and IMO you don't need the premium version, especially if you only use it to periodically scan your PC for malwares.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Jan 2015 at 1:54 AM
Okay, so some googling has revealed that that STOP code indicates a hardware problem, but doesn't really give us any more detail than that. The fact that the memory dump is also failing suggests, to me, that the problem is either hard drive or RAM related.

Apparently this combination of errors is sometimes caused by a known bug in Windows 7 Service Pack 1: have you installed the later Service Packs? I'm assuming so since you have windows updating automatically, but you never know.
The error also seems to be mostly being reported by people who have an SSD; do you have an SSD?

A lot of the solutions online involve updating chipset or storage controller drivers, which I can't get my head around just now. So first, I'll suggest that you check your RAM and hard drive for errors:
To check your hard drive:
Open My Computer and right-click your C: drive, and open Properties. Under the Tools tab, hit Check Now. Don't tick "Automatically fix file system errors" or "Scan for and recover bad sectors", then hit Start. You should get an error saying that the disk can't be checked as it's in use, and asking if you'd like to run the scan the next time you start up your computer. Say yes.

Reboot your computer and go read a book, this takes a while. Once it's done, take a pic of the results. You'll have to be paying attention because the computer will restart automatically, though not as fast as it does after a BSOD.

You can do this for your other hard drives too, if you have more than one, to check if they're wearing out. But only the C: drive's problems are likely to cause a BSOD.

To check your RAM:
Find a USB drive - preferably one which you bought before Windows 8 came out, because Microsoft have been trying to get USB stick manufacturers to comply with some stupid "Windows 8 certification" stuff which makes the USB sticks pretty useless for our purposes here. Copy anything you want to keep off of it.
Download the Memtest86+ Autoinstaller for USB Key from here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
Put the file on the USB key and unzip it, run the exe and follow the instructions to install Memtest onto the USB stick.
Restart your computer.

If you're lucky and your system is set up to boot from USB automatically, instead of getting the Windows startup screen you'll see memtest instead. As far as I know (it's been a while since I've used it), the instructions in memtest are pretty clear, so follow them and run the test at least 6 times. This will take -freaking ages- and you might have to leave it overnight.

If you still get the Windows startup screen, you'll have to restart again and open the computer's boot menu. You do this by pressing a specific key repeatedly from when you start the computer, but unfortunately, which key you need to press depends on what brand your motherboard is. It's usually something like Esc or F10. If you don't know what it is, we can look it up based on your motherboard's make and model. You'll then be able to either pick an option to boot from the USB stick, or rearrange the "boot priority list"; in the latter case, you'll want to have your USB drive first in the list, and everything else in the same order but just bumped down one space. Then restart, and do the stuff I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Forum Resident
#15 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 11:20 AM Last edited by Belzader : 22nd Jan 2015 at 11:52 AM.
Just a quick note about "conime.exe".
It's a system file and it was introdused in Windows Vista, and if my memory serves me right, it mostly starts if there's non-standard (asian?) letters in something.
Quote:
Conime.exe is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System and is essential for the secure and safe operation of your computer. conime.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. Since conime.exe is a system process it should not be stopped. The process is required for Windows to work properly. The system sometimes dedicates more resources to a specific task by generating multiple instances of one process. However this can also be a symptom of a Malware infection. Make sure you always use an updated antivirus and run a full scan.

I want my Space Pony title back.. why was it there such a short time..
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 10:03 PM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 24th Jan 2015 at 2:10 AM.
Thanks everyone. Sorry I've been a bit preoccupied trying to sort out some medicine as I'm ill at the moment.

Soukizini-Thanks, the link was really helpful, I've downloaded the free one and ended my free trial.

Nysha-Aah thanks so much for helping. I don't know, but I let it do all the updates, so I'm assuming that I have got the later service packs. What is an SSD?

Well this is weird, I checked the C: drive, following your instructions but it has scanned it with no error message. When I pressed 'Check now', it had 'Automatically fix file system errors' already ticked, so I unticked it, and pressed start. It did a scan and then said this:
It did have the blue and yellow shield next to 'Check now', so do I need to run it as an administrator or something? I tried, but it wouldn't let me right-click. Also it only took 2 minutes. Right I have done it twice now, it was the same both times.

I have run the memtest. I had to go into the boot menu (F12, for my reference) and boot from the USB stick. I didn't have to follow any instructions, the memtest just started on it's own. I took a photo on my camera. Does this mean it has done the test 9 times? Again, it only took a couple of hours.

After the memtest, I checked the C: drive again, for the 3rd time. It was the same, no error message, about 2 minutes, and the same result at the end. I have just checked the D: drive the same way. It was the same, no error message, same result at the end (that it's fine), and it only took seconds (I'm assuming that's because it's smaller?)

Do you think it's a problem that these tests are being completed so quickly?

Also, in the photo of the memtest above, is the CPU temperature supposed to be that hot? Considering room temperature is 20 degrees C I was quite shocked. The laptop is always on a baking tray, on top of a tea tray, and it was during the memtest aswell.

Thanks
Forum Resident
#17 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 6:46 AM Last edited by Belzader : 25th Jan 2015 at 7:07 AM.
SSD stands for SolidStateDisk, and unlike a tradional HDD it have no mechanical parts (it's kinda similar to a USB stick, regarding the technic used).

Regarding the CPU temprature.
For a Pentium CPU, 73 degrees is very hot, and since that CPU is only 35W, it shouldn't generally reach thoose tempratures, especially since it have a max temprature of 90 degrees.
I would make sure the cooling fan is working properly, and that the airflow exhaust isn't blocked by dust (which i suspect might be the case since the computer is around 4 year's old).
The easiest way to check this, i think is to hold your hand where it is (usually on one of the sides) and feel the air comming out.
As it can be very hot if the CPU is working hard, i would do that when the computer is idle (running but you aren't doing any thing with it), if you can't do that because the air is to hot, then it's most likely blocked, and needs to be cleaned.
Which require quite some knowledge as the computer has to be taken apart.

And before some one says something, yes i know one can use air in can, but as that just worsen it if done wrong (the dust is blown into the computer instead of out), i wouldn't recommend it.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#18 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 11:18 AM
That does seem very fast - how big are your hard drive partitions?

Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 3:34 PM
Hi, thanks both of you for replying. Sorry to be a pain, but do you know how to find out if I have an SSD, and how big my hard drive partitions are, please? I tried to Google it last night, but didn't get very far.

I've been concerned about the computer running hot for a while (at least a few months, maybe longer), it's part of the reason I'm having a break from the sims. Also, when it is working hard, it gets very noisy. My sister has compared it to an aeroplane taking off (usually if I leave the Sims 2 in overnight and then turn the computer on)!

Putting my hand against the air vent now, it isn't too bad (been on internet for about 3 hoursish?) but yesterday, I was on it for a bit longer, and it was boiling when I put my hand against it. It actually started lagging like mad just playing a facebook game ('Odd Socks', if you don't know it, it is a very basic game), so I turned it off. It hates 'Farm Hero Saga' on facebook, and goes very slow playing that. I can play Happy Aquarium with not too many problems, although it does lag after a while. It also gets hot playing Sims 2, I try not to play for more than 4 hours at a time.

From what you have said, I'm wondering if maybe the cooling fan isn't working properly. It could be the air vents aswell, but it's been happening for ages now. Do you think I should take it to a computer shop to be repaired? There used to be one on the way into town (not sure if it's still there), run by one man with a couple of staff. I always thought maybe he would know his stuff better than a large chain shop, although I have to admit, I've never used a computer shop myself before.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 10:59 PM Last edited by Belzader : 27th Jan 2015 at 1:04 AM.
On the lagging that happens after awhile, that could indicate that the CPU is starting to throttle (lowering it's speed/frequency) to protect it self due to it gets to hot.
Unlike a desktop computer, a laptop only have one cooling system, which have to cool down both the CPU & the graphic chip, and even simple games can be quite graphic intense, so that could be the explanation why one game work better then the other.

To see how big your partition/s are press win key (the one with the flag on it) + E , this will open an explorer window and it should have computer (my computer) selected, if it have my documents selected click on computer on the left side.

I don't think your computer have an SSD, as mostly only high end ones comes equipped with that, but if you want us to check, give us the brand and model of the computer, there should be a sticker on the bottom that list it.

Now about the fan, high noice from it, that can indicate two things
1# It have dust on it's blades, making it wobble (it's rotation is disturb by the dust on it's blades).
2# It's worn out and dieing.
The noice are quite diffrent on 1, one can hear that it's not spinning perfectly (don't know how to say that better), on 2, there's screaming or other strange noice from it, especially when it's spinning up, or when computer is started.

That being said, on most laptops the cooling fan is high speed (meaning it have very high RPM (RotationPerMinute)) and as result can be quite noicy, but normally the noice from it shouldn't be "like an airplane", but more a high swooshing sound.

From my personal experience smaller buisnesses are more customer friendly then the large chain ones, as the smaller ones are more dependent on it's customers to keep it running, while the larger chain ones, well let's just put it this way, the staff there are paid from the "big" company.
Now that doesn't have to indicate that they are not customer friendly, but as i said that's my personal experience.

I think you should atleast talk to to him (if he is still in buisness) and tell him about your suspicions that fan might not working properly/that the airflow vent might be blocked by dust, and as result the computer might be overheating.
I would do that sooner then later as if it is an overheating issue, the computer will die, due that components get overheated and succumb to it.

Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 7:12 AM Last edited by Buzzler : 30th Jan 2015 at 6:21 AM. Reason: removed picture containing the windows license key
Thanks for replying.

My partitions:

My computer specs:
{Staff note: image deleted}
Sorry the 2nd picture hasn't come out very well, it says it is a Toshiba Satellite C660-21Q. I found some information on it here http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinu...llite-c660-21q/

It is definitely not a high end computer, I think it's quite a cheap one.

I'm not sure how to describe the noise. It's like a very loud whirring noise. I doesn't sound as if it's not spinning right, or like a screaming noise either, it's quite low pitched. It doesn't usually make the noise on startup, only if I have forgotten to take the Sims 2 disc out the night before, and then start it up.

Thanks for the advice. I'm ill at the moment, so I might not be able to take it to the shop (if it is still there) until I am better. I have kind of used up all my favours from my mum and my sister, by getting them to help take me to the doctors and the hospital, and to pick up medicine for me etc.

I will let you know what's going on. Also it has done another BSOD today. I didn't take any photos as I was being a bit impatient.

Thanks
Forum Resident
#22 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 1:12 PM Last edited by Belzader : 28th Jan 2015 at 1:32 PM.
The whirring noice, is from the DVD-drive spinning up & down to read the game disk, hence it's not there if the game disk isn't in, and that noice is nothing to worry about.
You are right it's not a high end computer, but i wouldn't call it low end either, i would place in the middle, and it have a mechanical hard drive.

I spotted something though on the specifications, the computer have a Intel graphic chip, and that is generally a big NONO, when it comes to gaming, Your Computer is Like a Car
Since you mention Sims 2 MTS2 Recommendations

What i'm saying here is that, we might have several diffrent scenarios here that might be the cause of the BSOD:
1: The HDD is failing.
2: The graphic chip is dieing, due to that it's not meant for gaming.
3: It might be like i have said bfr an overheating issue, because fan isnt't working properly/air flow is blocked.

Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 8:44 PM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 29th Jan 2015 at 9:07 PM.
Hi, thank you for replying Oh that's interesting, I've always assumed it was a cheap one because of the integrated chip. I'm playing Happy Aquarium (facebook game) and it's making the noise now. I worked out what it sounds like, it sounds like a hairdryer.

Oh yes, thank you I've read that before. Because of that article, I only have base game, Nightlife and Pets. I know Pets is demanding, but what is life without animals? I was dismayed to find out about the integrated chip when I got it, but it was a present, so I couldn't send it back for risk of causing offence. My mum has offered to buy me a new laptop, so I have been trying to look for one with a good graphics card. I think we will keep this one as a 'household spare laptop'.

Aah thank you that's helpful. I think I will try to find out if that computer shop is still there and maybe he can take it to bits or something It's ok if it is dying, just as long as I have time to transfer my stuff from it first. Just wondering though, is that an average lifespan for a laptop, or is 4 years quite short?
Scholar
#24 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 2:35 AM
Delete The Picture With Your Product Key!!!!!
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#25 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 6:23 AM
@Dizzy-noodles: I've removed the link to the picture containing the license key from your post. You should never share such information online or anywhere.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman

Page 1 of 2