Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 4:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
There must be two separate meshes for the bed. You'd have to open them in Milkshape to see which is which. In Milkshape click File - Import - Sims2 UniMesh Import V4.09 (not the split import) and find the 5gd file where you saved it and open that.

Much thanks! Will poke at this in a few and see what happens.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#27 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 5:10 AM
It's really sweet that you're willing to edit the mesh- but... did you know that you can make a recolor with the curtain/drape area invisible? The rest of the frame can be recolored any way one wants. As long as you don't edit the bedding at all the bed will still work as intended. You could also make an invisible recolor for the fixtures (the little gold things) if you wanted.

I'm not sure if the TXMT would have to be edited or not (the recolor, not the mesh)- I replaced the texture in SimPE, previewed and it was fine. But the TXMT might need to have the blend mode changed to none.
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 5:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
It's really sweet that you're willing to edit the mesh- but... did you know that you can make a recolor with the curtain/drape area invisible? The rest of the frame can be recolored any way one wants. As long as you don't edit the bedding at all the bed will still work as intended. You could also make an invisible recolor for the fixtures (the little gold things) if you wanted.

I'm not sure if the TXMT would have to be edited or not (the recolor, not the mesh)- I replaced the texture in SimPE, previewed and it was fine. But the TXMT might need to have the blend mode changed to none.

D8

I had no idea you could use recolors / transparencies to remove things from an object. You just blew my mind. BRB while I test this.

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#29 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 5:45 AM
Well, it'll still be there. You just won't be able to see it.
I was just thinking that it could be recolored in a more masculine texture too- like blue/white stripes or something,. But the bed would still look a bit girly that way.
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 5:52 AM
Well, it'll still be there. You just won't be able to see it.
I was just thinking that it could be recolored in a more masculine texture too- like blue/white stripes or something,. But the bed would still look a bit girly that way.

My goal (once I get the hang of the transparancies bit, still fighting with it) is to do some retextures / recolors to de-princess-fy it. But one step at a time. xD

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#31 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 5:54 AM
If you're having trouble with the texture, you should be able to right-click and save the one I posted. You could use that as a guide. (Could even use it to do a curtain/drapeless version of the pink.)
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 6:00 AM Last edited by siletka : 12th Apr 2015 at 6:23 AM.
If you're having trouble with the texture, you should be able to right-click and save the one I posted. You could use that as a guide. (Could even use it to do a curtain/drapeless version of the pink.)

My problem right now is that the transparent parts look white in-game. I think it might have something with the blend in TXMT you mentioned.

Edit: Blend mode already set to None under TXMT.

Edit 2: Zooming out turns the white bits black. I have no idea what's going on. xD

Edit 3: Setting the Alpha Test to 1 seemed to do the trick.

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#33 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 6:15 AM
My apologies! I was thinking blend mode would need to be set to blend - I always have trouble remembering what needs to be changed when you've got transparency on part of a texture. Alpha Test to 1!! That was it. BUt it worked. Yay!!
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 6:23 AM Last edited by siletka : 12th Apr 2015 at 7:22 AM.
My apologies! I was thinking blend mode would need to be set to blend - I always have trouble remembering what needs to be changed when you've got transparency on part of a texture. Alpha Test to 1!! That was it. BUt it worked. Yay!!

It's okay! SimPE can be a maze sometimes. Thank you so much for your help, you're a lifesavor. ;u;

I just discovered the Update all Sizes selection. Oh my God. The amount of time I wasted manually editing and updating each different file size is embarrassing.

Edit: Now I'm just having an issue with the texture being shoddy quality for some reason.

Edit 2: Continuing to learn new things tonight, imported the texture with much better results. Now to remove the golden orb things. Not even sure where to look, to be honest. To clarify, when looking at the mesh, there are three texture files. But when selecting to recolor it via Object Workshop, the only texture that pops up is the bed frame. If that makes any sense.

Edit 3: My first thought is to maybe clone the object and do something with those golden orbs that way. But that would require people to have/download yet another mesh file :/

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#35 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 7:36 AM
You may have figured it out already, but you right-click and choose Build DTX to import the texture. A little box will pop up, you browse to your new texture then choose DXT3 from the dropdown (needed for the transparency). You'll need to check "none" from the list then click build. I've read that it's not necessary to update all sizes when you use Build DXT but I still do it. It's a habit and it's not like it takes a whole lot of time to do those extra clicks.

Sorry about the orbs. I didn't even try to recolor the bed and now that I think about it, there -is- 2 recolorable subsets already: the frame and the bed. Silly me. They don't look too bad. I'd leave them as is personally.
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 7:59 AM
You may have figured it out already, but you right-click and choose Build DTX to import the texture. A little box will pop up, you browse to your new texture then choose DXT3 from the dropdown (needed for the transparency). You'll need to check "none" from the list then click build. I've read that it's not necessary to update all sizes when you use Build DXT but I still do it. It's a habit and it's not like it takes a whole lot of time to do those extra clicks.

Sorry about the orbs. I didn't even try to recolor the bed and now that I think about it, there -is- 2 recolorable subsets already: the frame and the bed. Silly me. They don't look too bad. I'd leave them as is personally.

Now I'm kind of determined to get this to work, to be honest. I cloned the bed and set it to Create Standalone Object and it seems to not function. Still shows up as a recolor. So I might just be resigned to leaving the gold orbs in.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#37 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 8:33 AM
Wow, this thread has changed a lot since I last looked. I didn't intend to give you all this work.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 8:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Wow, this thread has changed a lot since I last looked. I didn't intend to give you all this work.

It's not work, it's learning! I actually love this sort of thing xD

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#39 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 9:08 AM
I've never cloned a custom bed so I'm not sure if the process is different or not- but when cloning a Maxis bed you'd want to click "set defaults" then go from there. (Although I usually uncheck change description because I like to wait until the object is done before I give it a description. *knock on wood* Me? Superstitious? Maybeeee... lol)

I don't think those gold parts need to go though. If they were pink or purple or some other girly color? That would be different,

Jo - it's all my fault! I kind of figured why go through all the work or extracting/editing/reimporting/yada/yada when a recolor would work. Do I feel guilty though? Nope! :D
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 9:37 AM
Where would "Set Defaults" be? Maybe I missed it somewhere? Sounds like it would default over the object though? /confused

My main problem with the gold orbs is that the two tiny ones at top are still there. So they're magic floating gold orbs. xD

And don't feel guilty, I've learned a lot so far.

Edit: I see where the "Set Defaults" is. I have Pull Animations on because Rebecah made custom animations for the bed, and Create Standalone Object. Which doesn't seem to do squat.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 11:02 PM
That's okay then. I'm glad you are here MLC, if anyone knows what to do, you do.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 13th Apr 2015 at 2:30 AM
I'm still here, trying to figure out how to edit the orbs. At least the very top ones.

I might have to give the original mesh a new GUID and copy it, but I'm not sure if colors / textures would still work. Since the normal cloning method fails. Any ideas? :/

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#43 Old 13th Apr 2015 at 7:26 AM
I'm not sure you'd want to have the "pull animations" box checked. Not sure about the stand alone object either. Did you try cloning the bed with the defaults set? That would check every box EXCEPT Create a stand alone object, Pull animations and Reference original mesh. I don't see why that wouldn't/shouldn't work.

Re new GUID and colors/textures - if you change the GUID of any mesh, existing recolors won't work since they're linked to the original mesh in the MMAT. Recolors broken that way can be fixed by changing the GUID in the MMAT to your new GUID, but then they wouldn't work for the original mesh? (I really hope that makes sense, my brains a little tongue-tied at the moment. *needs sleep soon*)
Scholar
#44 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 3:22 PM
If you're still looking, I just found this which is cloned from the princess bed.
Instructor
#45 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 4:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by katreina
If you're still looking, I just found this which is cloned from the princess bed.

The toddler/kiddie bed is adorable with or without the ladder :D
Mad Poster
#46 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 10:26 PM
I have Rebecca's princess bed; it's not that it's to "girly", it's too fancy for the simple, poor families. That is the only bed I have that toddlers AND kids can sleep in. I have a bunch of other toddler-accessible beds. but they are a problem. When child gets out of bed, everyone rushes to "help", and everyone wants to get them up - but then seems to forget WHY, since there is no "proper crib" to put them in. Sometimes the toddler will keep getting out of bed for no reason (no noise,etc) only to cry and get back in bed - but if someone PUTS them in bed, they will stay there, and even not be able to get out (like there were in a real crib).
I can't find the Hansen bed. So I'm also interested in a 2-tile-long bed that toddlers AND kids can use (even though I will have to sometimes make the kid get out of the toddler's bed). Not only to save money having to replace it with a kid-friendly bed, but so it looks more simple/poor/cheap. Yes, there is always pet beds, but even "toddler mats" make them dirty.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 10:32 PM
I linked to the hansen bed in my previous post

Quote: Originally posted by theloveantidote
There's a 2-tile bed cloned from Rebecah's princess bed that matches the Hansen set by jaccirocker here
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 10:42 PM
grammapat the Hansen (picture above) and the other toddler bed I was told about, both work for children.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#49 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
I have Rebecca's princess bed; it's not that it's to "girly", it's too fancy for the simple, poor families. That is the only bed I have that toddlers AND kids can sleep in. I have a bunch of other toddler-accessible beds. but they are a problem. When child gets out of bed, everyone rushes to "help", and everyone wants to get them up - but then seems to forget WHY, since there is no "proper crib" to put them in. Sometimes the toddler will keep getting out of bed for no reason (no noise,etc) only to cry and get back in bed - but if someone PUTS them in bed, they will stay there, and even not be able to get out (like there were in a real crib).
I can't find the Hansen bed. So I'm also interested in a 2-tile-long bed that toddlers AND kids can use (even though I will have to sometimes make the kid get out of the toddler's bed). Not only to save money having to replace it with a kid-friendly bed, but so it looks more simple/poor/cheap. Yes, there is always pet beds, but even "toddler mats" make them dirty.

The bed I linked to a couple posts above yours is also for both ages since it's cloned from rebeckah's. It's not as fancy as hers but it's still very cute.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 4:39 AM
The bed with ladder is not what I'm looking for. The Hanson bed link says "add-on's {& recolors}to Hanson bed" so I thought it was not the actual bed, but I'll try it.
Yes, the bed is one folder in that download.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Page 2 of 3