Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Sim Shadow Fix (updated 2 Jan '16)

by Nopke Posted 30th Dec 2015 at 11:14 AM - Updated 7th Dec 2023 at 7:40 PM by Nopke

186 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 55 Feedback Posts, 130 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 8
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator THANKS POST
#2 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 11:16 AM
Awesome
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#3 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 11:59 AM
I had given up fixing this. Thank you so much. Now I can play with shadow again!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#4 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 12:44 PM
thank you so much for this!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 12:50 PM
Where have you been for so long and why hasn't this been figured out sooner? Just like I had given up on the sky, I had given up on sim shadows. I'm so happy to have both back!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 1:15 PM
ermygod thanks! :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#7 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 1:21 PM
Thank you so much!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#8 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 1:30 PM
What did you actually end up having to do to fix this? I know the original "glitch" is caused by an unrecognised or under-powered GPU.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by swampcandy
What did you actually end up having to do to fix this? I know the original "glitch" is caused by an unrecognised or under-powered GPU.

The original glitch is caused by new graphics drivers.
Not actually evil.
#10 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simshout
The original glitch is caused by new graphics drivers.

Yes, I had to roll back the driver on my graphics card waaaay back and can't update it or shadows break.
Thanks for the fix, but how did you fix this issue? Will I be able to upgrade my driver and still have correct shadows?

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#11 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 2:49 PM
thank you. I really like the shade. but I bought a video card. and I was horrified. from these squares.Thank you very much.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#12 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 3:12 PM
This is absolutely brilliant! I'd given up on ever having Sims's shadows in my game again. Thanks you!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#13 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 3:55 PM
Wow! I am so thankful that you are able to provide such excellent fixes! Your hard work and dedication is amazing, and I thank you for that! Keep up the excellent work!!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#14 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 4:03 PM
Since I got my new notebook 6 months ago I've been so sad that my Sim shadows had to be turned off. It just looked weird when all other items have shadows. I truly appreciate this fix!!!! xoxo
Theorist
THANKS POST
#15 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 4:46 PM
I got a new graphics card for Christmas and I couldn't roll the drivers back far enough to keep the Sim shadows working so this is perfect timing for me. Thanks again, much appreciated.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
I had given up fixing this. Thank you so much. Now I can play with shadow again!

I just tried this in game and it works!
I'm so happy!

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator THANKS POST
#17 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 5:05 PM
Thank you soooo much!!!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 5:45 PM
Thank so much!!! i dont need now old drivers to fix this :D
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator THANKS POST
#19 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 5:50 PM
Thank you so much! Before I download this mod, how was the opaque of EA's original sim shadow? Was it 0.4, 0.3 or 0.2?
Forum Resident
#20 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 6:38 PM Last edited by lorinsv60 : 2nd Aug 2017 at 5:30 AM.
I was so excited to see this, but the shadows aren't displaying correctly for me - the shape is definitely there, but it looks like pale mist. I tried version 2 first, then removed it and tried version 4, with no luck.
I did set my in-game shadows to high, and changed that one line in my graphics rules to "true" so the shadows section read exactly like yours.

Build a City Challenge on LiveJournal: Mesa Vista: my BaCC for fun
Mesa Vista Running list of chapters
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#21 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 7:18 PM
I have a brand new computer with Windows 10 installed. This works for me! Thank you, Nopke.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#22 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Thanks for the fix, but how did you fix this issue?
Now sims' shadows are rendered like neighborhood trees' shadows.

Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Will I be able to upgrade my driver and still have correct shadows?
Yes, you will.

Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
[...] how was the opaque of EA's original sim shadow? Was it 0.4, 0.3 or 0.2?
I don't know.

Quote: Originally posted by lorinsv60
I was so excited to see this, but the shadows aren't displaying correctly for me - the shape is definitely there, but it looks like pale mist.
http://simfileshare.net/download/40719/ – try it out and, as soon as possible, let me know if it works.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#23 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 8:35 PM
First the sky, now the shadows. You are amazing! Thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 8:42 PM
I've wanted a fix for this for sometime now. I'm glad that you took the time to fix this issue! Thanks!
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#25 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 8:43 PM
Saw your Post on Tumblr and decided to get it from MTS
Page 1 of 8