Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Land Grant University

by Peni Griffin Posted 7th Feb 2016 at 12:53 AM - Updated 9th Feb 2016 at 7:47 PM by Peni Griffin

62 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 39 Feedback Posts, 22 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 3
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 6:50 PM
Annya Var Fruhm

Ida Juana always wanted to be in a sorority; Helen's mother always wanted her daughters to be in her sorority - Ida Juana can make that work! But with Helen's twin sister deserting her to be in a rock band, and the frat boys being such jerks, Ida Juana's got her work cut out to start a Greek tradition at LGU.

Helen Wheels: (Freshman, Art, Libra, Romance, 2/8/3/6/6) Helen's happy to leave the organizational stuff to Ida Juana. She has her own goals for college and Greek life.
Ida Juana Knowe: (Sophomore, Political Science, Aquarius, Popularity, 0/6/5/10/5)
A sorority is such a great idea and Ida Juana's going to have so much fun! She can totally organize this! Though the house does seem kind of big and empty right now...

The Annya Var Fruhm house was built by a local railroad baron a hundred-odd years ago. It had its ups and downs before being bought, hurriedly modernized, and donated to the sorority by local members of the sisterhood anxious to get LGU's branch off on the right foot. Filling up and redecorating its big empty rooms with mutually-supportive friends is Ida Juana and Helen's job.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 7:13 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 4th Feb 2016 at 2:10 PM.
Nagard Annya Hoh
Nagard Annya Hoh is a proud frat with a proud tradition, and Hi's rich dad was happy to donate a house to start that tradition at LGU. But can the boys stop pulling pranks long enough to recruit anybody?
Andy Bellum: (Sophomore, Biology, Scorpio, Popularity, 6/6/8/6/0) Andy has always dreamed of being in a fraternity, in with the ultimate in-crowd. But now he's distracted by family duty. His innocent little sister is being taken advantage of by dweebs!
Hi Thyme: (Freshman, Drama, Sagittarius, Romance, 2/3/9/7/4) The chief thing Hi learned from his father's stories about fraternal living was: Chicks dig frat boys. Well, he's a frat boy now - bring on the chicks!

This former farmhouse has seen better days; and will presumably see better ones again, if the boys don't burn it down first.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 7:30 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 4th Feb 2016 at 2:17 PM.
The Printer Sisters

JoAnn's high school garage band fizzled when the bass player left, but JoAnn's got a plan, and her innovative brand of indie grunge blues will make history!
JoAnn Gutenberg: (Freshman, Economics, Leo, Fortune, lead guitar, 0/10/5/5/5) JoAnn's in school to learn about the music industry and what it takes for the Printer Sisters to make it to the top! If she can just keep her drummer and her bassist focused, she's sure they can be stars.
Dot Matrix (Freshman, Undeclared, Sagittarius, Romance, drums, 2/6/9/6/3) Dot became a musician because she knows guys can't resist a girl with a good lyric line, especially if she has a good beat and you can dance with her.
Daisy Wheels: (Freshman, Undeclared, Libra, Popularity, bass, 4/8/3/3/7) Helen's sorority project sounds like a lot of fun, but no one's ever taken Daisy's music seriously before. How can she turn her back on the chance to be in a real band? She can't, that's how!

Once a bunkhouse for construction workers, this odd off-campus building is convenient to performing venues, and has room for all the band members and their instruments. JoAnn feels lucky to get it.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 7:47 PM
Nerdists

After being branded "losers" in high school, Hugh and Cliff were relieved to come to college and find kindred spirits. Sara's private school did not prepare her for the kinds of people she meets in the dorms - but that isn't a bad thing. If only her brother didn't fuss so!
Sara Bellum: (Freshman, Biology, Pisces, Knowledge, 5/3/7/3/7) Sara's made such good study buddies in college! She doesn't know what Andy's worried about. You mustn't take Andy personally. He's just - like that.
Hugh Knowe: (Freshman, Undeclared, Gemini, Knowledge, 4/6/7/3/5) Finally, Hugh has people he can talk to about interesting stuff.
Cliff Notes: (Freshman, Biology, Scorpio, Knowledge, 7/1/10/4/3) Cliff will stop being anti-social when other people stop being idiots. Sara and Hugh, thank goodness, are not idiots. Their tiresome older siblings, however...

The Compound Dorm was hastily thrown together as an experiment when enrollment exceeded expectation. Popular with students due to the superior privacy of a lavatory in each trailer, it exists under constant threat of demolition to make room for another conventional green cinderblock dorm. And there's no denying that the walk to the shower block can get pretty muddy!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 8:07 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 3rd Feb 2016 at 10:35 PM.
Dormies
The 24 dormies were all created in CAS, some as clones from my private game, some from scratch, many with pun names which will be replaced with randomized names when LGU is added to your neighborhood. By request, I provide a key (under the spoilers, as some of them are in black blazers) for the use of anyone who prefers to keep some or all of the original names and go to the trouble of changing them. I haven't meddled with the genes, but I have given most of them a few skill points.

Sample Residence: 16 Wheat Trail

The four LGU dorms provide everything a student could need - except privacy. In response to demand, a number of residences, ranging from old farmhouses to newish prefabs, are available for student tenancy - furnished and unfurnished, for singles, couples, or communal living arrangements. 16 Wheat Trail, next door to the Printer Sisters, is the smallest and cheapest of these, and is suitable for a single student or committed couple on a tight budget.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 8:50 PM
Secret Society! Shhh!

Just because LGU is a young university, don't assume that ancient and sinister organizations have no place here! Who built this house? How was it rendered invisible to non-members? Why do they keep such a dangerous plant? What is shut up in the highest tower?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 9:23 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 4th Feb 2016 at 2:31 PM.
On Campus Community lots
Official campus facilities provide for all the needs of the student body, with classroom and student support buildings clustering around the Quad. Parents can rest easy, knowing that wholesome food and fun are as readily available to their innocent offspring as the educational facilities.

Student Union Building - The business of students is eating, with some study and recreation (of an educational variety, of course) on the side. For all of these things, the SUB is your hub!
Science Building - With an emphasis on practical applications, Botany, Biology, Pharmacy, Astronomy, Physics, and Mathematics are all strongly represented. The Fluid Dynamics lab on the roof is popular with the student body, and the astronomy professor is proud of our large mirror array!
Hipster Quad - The high road between the Fine Arts Building and the SUB's bookstore, this section of the quad is the perfect place to meet other artistes, dance, and jam onstage. It also has the Quad's only restrooms. So come, grab a cup of coffee, and admire the displays of student artwork.

The other campus lots, not shown, are:
  • Administration Building
  • Gym
  • Swim Center
  • Liberal Arts Building
  • Library
  • Fine Arts Building
  • Jock Quad
  • Soci Quad
  • Nerd Quad
All campus class and support buildings are built of red brick, with white stone foundations and tan composition shingle roofs, for a consistent, attractive look at low cost.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 9:51 PM
Off-Campus Businesses

One major selling point of the university for surrounding communities was the opportunity to profit from a naive student body experiencing freedom for the first time. In addition to the standard shopping center and big box retail outlet on the road leading into campus, LGU is surrounded by small businesses serving students living on and off campus. And there's plenty of room for expansion as need arises.

Just Off Campus Lounge - Where every night is open mic night! (So they don't have to pay a band.)
Fanny's Private Tutoring - By "tutoring," Fanny means "opportunities for life experience." And by "private," Fanny means "your parents need never know where your money went."

Other Off-Campus Businesses, not shown:
  • Just Off Campus Coffee
  • Just Off Campus Thrift Store
  • Just Off Campus Arcade
  • Big Box
  • College Bluff Shopping Center
  • Riverfront Park
  • Handy Groceries

And if all that doesn't convince you that it's time to get your higher education at Land Grant University, I don't know what will!

Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#10 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 1:46 AM
Yay, how exciting! :-D Well done for getting it uploaded, I look forward to seeing how people play all the characters! :-)
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator THANKS POST
#11 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 8:58 AM
Squee! It's up! :lovestruc
Thank you so much for building such a great University subhood. I really enjoyed playtesting Land Grant University and I can't wait to see more uploads from you.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#12 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 10:08 AM
I'm not sure how it works but does the secret society function properly in the no sims version? Since you said it doesn't generate any NPCs.

It looks like a cool university, I'm getting back into The Sims 2 and I was looking for a good university campus to add to my game.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#13 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 10:08 AM
Oh, wow, you've been busy again. It looks amazing, congratulations on finishing another huge project like this

I don't know when I'm going to be able to use it (now I wish I didn't already have a Uni in Widespot :p) but it's not going anywhere and hopefully, neither am I^^

Thank you!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 1:39 AM
Sabrewulf, once you have dormies (however you go about getting them), the game will select some of them to be secret society members, and they will be able to induct playables and grant them access to the lot.

Lili, there's no law against having two universities attached to one subhood. Or you could add LGU, subtract the original university, and everyone - dormies, active playables, and student bin sims - will migrate to LGU. I'll have to do one of those things for my Widespot, too.

Instructor
THANKS POST
#15 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 6:09 AM
This looks fantastic! Thanks so much!!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#16 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 4:50 PM
I really appreciate your hard work, it Looks Amazing! the neighborhood and the Dorms it really does look Nice and awesome :)
Mad Poster
#17 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 7:31 PM
Just wanted to mention a little problem that I encountered whilst playing the house named (addressed?!) 11 Oat Row. It's by no means exclusive to Land Grant University, apparently it's a problem with the Maxis/EA ivy plant that Peni used on either side of the front door, but since moving the Nerdists into the house after they graduated (during summer, and there were storms (with lightening), though I didn't see anything catch fire) I've had problems with a permanent "invisible fire" in and near the ivy plant which keeps causing the sims to randomly burst into flames! Even after deleting the ivy plant, using the batbox and using the stuck objects remover I have been unable to get rid of the invisible fire and I'm going to have to move them out of the property to (hopefully) solve the problems, so I just wanted to give people a heads up - if you ever move sims into that house, you may want to consider deleting the ivy plants before you start playing the household! :-)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 9:33 PM
Thanks for the head's up! I really like the design of that house for a student residence, but it's kind of a problem child. An earlier version of it that I was playtesting got a glitch that caused the environment score to tank when the lot was clean and improve when someone kicked over the trash can. I could not for the life of me figure it out and eventually just bulldozed it. So caveat emptor on that one!

Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#19 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 10:24 PM
This is a beautiful, and perfect to go along with a town just being built. I love the layout, the mix of unique lots, and the characters. My favorite thing so far (and I haven't played it yet) has to be the names; they are great. Thank you very much for making this.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#20 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 5:21 AM
Thank you so much! Great job
Space Pony
THANKS POST
#21 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 12:19 AM
Just popped up to my mind I never actually thanked, after all I use this uni all the time Better late than never, so thank you
Test Subject
#22 Old 2nd Sep 2016 at 12:53 PM
I use The Sims 2 University Life Collection, so my extraction path is different. I'm having issues correctly installing this sub hood into my program files. Is there anything different I need to do? It won't extract for me.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 2nd Sep 2016 at 12:56 PM
Nevermind, I got it to work. Did the ol' copy and paste method from another area I extracted it to.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 2:08 PM
thnx!^^
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#25 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 10:54 PM
Yes, Peni! I am enjoying playing LGU!! :)
Page 1 of 3