Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 10:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndreaJEP
You can save it to your desktop and then move it into the correct folder, but ultimately, yes, you want to replace the original one. You may want to save a copy of the original someplace just in case, though.

Could you clarify...Save it to Desktop, okay, did that. What do you mean by move it into the correct folder, though? Do I immediately move it or do I wait, and after I move it into This PC>OS (C>Program Files (86x)>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3>Game>Bin (which is where the original graphicscards.sgr file was), do I delete the original graphicscard.sgr, leaving the one I had saved to my desktop and then moved to Bin as the only one, or should I be saving OVER the original...?

Just really, really don't want to screw something up. My apologies for being so clueless and having so many, very many, questions. Thank you again and in advance.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 10:30 PM
Don't apologize so much This stuff can be confusing, especially since there is so much old/outdated information mixed in with the new stuff. I had a hard time the first time I set up Sims 3, too, with all these extra steps to take care of.

Right-click the original and rename it something like "graphiscard_orig.sgr" and move it to your desktop (or someplace else, so you have it in case you need it).

Then move your edited version into the bin folder, replacing the original. Fire up your game and check your deviceconfig file to make sure the error is gone.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 10:48 PM
Don't apologize so much This stuff can be confusing, especially since there is so much old/outdated information mixed in with the new stuff. I had a hard time the first time I set up Sims 3, too, with all these extra steps to take care of.

Right-click the original and rename it something like "graphiscard_orig.sgr" and move it to your desktop (or someplace else, so you have it in case you need it).

Then move your edited version into the bin folder, replacing the original. Fire up your game and check your deviceconfig file to make sure the error is gone.

Thank you, I so much appreciate how understanding you are. I just hate the thought of coming off as that one clueless person who seems to ask questions to which the answers should be super obvious, etc. But thank you for making me feel like I'm not that person, or at least like its understandable that I am! Like you said, there definitely is a lot of old and new, relevant and irrelevant, info mixed together, so trying to even find a starting point is just like...It's a challenge in itself.

So I've followed your instructions, moving the original graphicscards.sgr to the desktop, and then moving the new version into the Bin folder to replace it. You said to start up TS3 to see if the issue is taken care of - should I do that before I address steps 5 & on from that same guide/tutorial, or should I take care of those (fixing the texture memory override error), and THEN fire up the game and see if all is running right?
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 10:58 PM
I would go ahead and start the game now, to make sure no new errors pop up. Then, proceed with fixing the texture memory override error. (That one is easy. You literally just change one number and add a #, then save the file.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 11:06 PM
I would go ahead and start the game now, to make sure no new errors pop up. Then, proceed with fixing the texture memory override error. (That one is easy. You literally just change one number and add a #, then save the file.)

I ended up finishing steps 5 and on, as I didn't see your response until just now. I ran the game, all seems to be okay, there was no graphic card not recognized popup upon arriving at the menu screen.

But, here's where I'm getting nervous. According to the tutorial/guide/whatever you care to call it that I've been following, it says to run the game, then come back and open deviceconfig to verify that the issue has been resolved. Upon seeing that all seemed to be OK in my game, closing it, and opening deviceconfig back up...all I see is the following:
=== Options ===
=== Default Options ===

That's it. Open deviceconfig with Notepad, and that's all that's in there now. I feel like I've screwed something up...Ack. Help?
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 11:16 PM
I recently saw something about that while searching for how to fix my GPU issue a few days ago. Give me a bit to search (unless someone beats me to it, of course).
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 11:26 PM
Eh...all I'm finding is people suggesting to delete the EA folder from My Documents and letting the game re-generate it, and things like that.

When you edited the graphicsrules file, does the first part look like this?

Code:
log "Parsing configuration script"
set ConfigGroup Config
include "GraphicsCards.sgr"
if (not $isCardFound)
   set cardName $cardNameText
endif
setb textureMemorySizeOK true
if ($textureMemory == 0)
  seti textureMemory       1024
  #setb textureMemorySizeOK false
endif

Oh, you might make sure graphicscards.sgr (your new one in the bin folder) doesn't have a ".txt" at the end. (Right-click the file, go to "Properties", and make sure the file type is SGR, not TXT.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 11:30 PM
I recently saw something about that while searching for how to fix my GPU issue a few days ago. Give me a bit to search (unless someone beats me to it, of course).

Would be so, so much appreciated.

Also, is it possible that I followed the tutorial too closely? I know it talks a lot about specific graphics cards, like GTX 970 and GeForce GT 650M. Is it possible that this tutorial isn't relevant for my particular graphics card? Mine is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M. One thing that makes me think that are these lines, especially the very last one (I underlined the one I'm talking about):

2) Find a file called graphicscards.sgr and open it with notepad

3) Find this line:

Quote:
card 0x0fd1 "GeForce GT 650M"

change it to:

Quote:
card 0x13c2 "GeForce GT 650M"

Only change the bolded text. Don't worry about the name. Don't touch it. This is the easy way to do it.
*** 13c2 is the device # for the GTX 970. Use the appropriate device # for your own GPU.

---------
Whelp. I don't know. I'm just suddenly doubting everything I did. I feel like the fix is right in front of me, yet I still can't quite figure it out. argh.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 11:35 PM
Eh...all I'm finding is people suggesting to delete the EA folder from My Documents and letting the game re-generate it, and things like that.

When you edited the graphicsrules file, does the first part look like this?

Code:
log "Parsing configuration script"
set ConfigGroup Config
include "GraphicsCards.sgr"
if (not $isCardFound)
   set cardName $cardNameText
endif
setb textureMemorySizeOK true
if ($textureMemory == 0)
  seti textureMemory       1024
  #setb textureMemorySizeOK false
endif

Oh, you might make sure graphicscards.sgr (your new one in the bin folder) doesn't have a ".txt" at the end. (Right-click the file, go to "Properties", and make sure the file type is SGR, not TXT.)

Regarding your first question, are you asking if it looks like that pre- or post- editing? Like in the original version or the current edited version?

Also, you may be onto something with the file type. The files are named with .sgr at the end, but when I'm looking at the Bin folder where they are, it says they're Text Documents. Should I send you a screencap of what my Bin folder looks like, as well as when I right click>Properties?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 11:49 PM
Also, when I saved the edited versions of graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules.sgr to my desktop (before moving the original versions to a backup desktop folder and moving the edited versions into Bin to replace them), I recall that while the files were NAMED graphicscards.sgr / graphicsrules.sgr, there were only two options to SAVE the files as - 'text documents (*.txt)' or 'All Files'. I chose the first. So Windows is telling me even though the file names end in .sgr, the file types are Text Document. Could this be the issue, and if so, how do I go about fixing it...?

edit:
though I did just double-check the originals I saved in a backup folder, and they seem to be Text Documents as well...So maybe I'm not onto anything after all. :/
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 11:54 PM
caccigirl, yes, please post a screenshot of the bin folder and properties of the file.

Edit: whoops, should have refreshed before posting If you've fixed the file extension, then no need for screenshots.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#39 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Hehe, you only need to post the changes you've made, not the whole file.

Um, usually when there's an error like this, it means either graphicsrules.sgr or graphicscards.sgr are corrupt.

1) Check if the files you've replaced are ".sgr" and not ".sgr.txt"
2) Check and make sure you named them correctly, no mispelling in the name. graphicsrules.sgr and graphicscards.sgr
3) If you have backup of the files, restore both backup. Run the game and see if the deviceconfig is fixed.
4) It should be fixed. Now, only replace 1 of the files, say graphicscards.sgr. See if it is the problem. Then try the other.

Yeah, that's the problem. New computers, they tend to turn on the security really high, won't even let you save a file. Phhttt. For future references, save as "all files."

Um... to fix it now,

1) you have to go to "folder option" and uncheck "hide known extensions."
2) Then you can see it is ".sgr.txt" and you need to delete ".txt" so it is only ".sgr"
3) Then you can go to folder option and recheck "hide known extensions" if you like.

I think I'm understanding the issue. The edited versions of graphicscards and graphicsrules are not the right file type. So, should I go back and save them as All Files and then do what I did earlier (move the original versions into backup folder, then move edited versions into Bin to replace them), will that allow them to save as .sgr filetypes?

Also, in reference to your last instruction. I'm not clear on where I'm getting 'folder option' from to uncheck 'hide known extensions'. Could you clarify a bit, please? Would be much appreciated. (I tried going into Bin>right click>Properties, but couldn't find anything about hiding known extensions to check or uncheck, so I figure I'm either in the wrong spot or not doing something correctly?
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 12:00 AM
In Windows 10, instead of "folder option", click the "View" tab, then check "File Name Extensions". Let me know if you want a screenshot.

Then, right-click the file, choose "rename," and simply delete the ".txt"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 12:10 AM
In Windows 10, instead of "folder option", click the "View" tab, then check "File Name Extensions". Let me know if you want a screenshot.

I'm sorry, I'm just still not clear on where I'm looking for the folder option/View tab? Like, should I be looking around my EA folders, or...?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#43 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 12:10 AM
Can you also delete the really long post above with the contents of the two files? I don't want to upset the moderators.

Yes, just deleted it. My apologies!
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 12:14 AM
Give me a few minutes, and I will make you some screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#45 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 12:17 AM

Yes, please, a screenshot would be very much appreciated. I'm a bit lost again.

To be clear, here is the current state of things: I have the ORIGINAL graphicscards/graphicsrules .sgr files in BIN folder, where they were to start with. The edited versions are in a desktop folder, and can be moved into Bin at any time. The original files are .sgr filetypes (at least it says they are when they're in Bin folder), and the edited versions are still text files.

So I basically need someone to walk me through, slowly and clearly, how I go about getting them to be the correct filetype (do I somehow do that before moving them to Bin, or do I do it after, or...?) and what exactly I'm trying to do as far as the whole folder option/file name extensions thing goes.

Please and thank you!
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 12:30 AM
Here is what you want your bin folder to look like, roughly. For now, just find that view tab and click the box for file extensions. I am getting screenshots for the rest as well.

file extensions by AndreaJEP, on Flickr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#47 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 12:45 AM
Woot woot! Okay, the edited versions of graphicscards/graphicsrules are both now showing up as SGR files!

I'm about to run the game and see if this fixes the deviceconfig issue! Will update in a few minutes.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#48 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 12:50 AM Last edited by caccigirl : 9th Jul 2016 at 1:17 AM.
Okay, I think things have been straightened out! Just to be sure, could someone skim over my deviceconfig and let me know if all looks good? Here it is:

[removed]
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 1:03 AM
This is not a real problem, but it is worth a fix to make your game more enjoyable

The cpu should be rated 4, it is just TS3 is old and it doesn't understand new hardware. Your 2.6 should turbo at 3.4-3.6. Even if it doesn't, it is multicore and newer so it is fast enough to be level 4.

It is a simple enough fix and it will bring more Sims to your community lots.

Open graphicsrules.sgr.

find on the top

Simply change them all to 4s.

So glad I found this thread. My deviceconfig has the same thing. I'm going to change mine, too (my processor is similar to OP's).
Page 2 of 4