Replies: 27 (Who?), Viewed: 5277 times.
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 3:08 AM
Default What is Your Seasons Like In The Sims 2 Seasons EP?
In Pleasantview I didn't change my seasons it goes (summer,Fall,Winter, Spring)

In my new town I have tropical like weather with 3 summers and 1 spring
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 11:35 AM
In my custom hoods it is always Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...mostly because I'm a New England girl and that's how the seasons are here.
Theorist
#3 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 11:51 AM Last edited by Essa : 9th Sep 2016 at 3:10 PM.
I second WildIrishBanshee, except that I'm a French woman.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 12:20 PM
In Little Carping itself it is Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter because because. However, in some of the sub-hoods I vary the weather. I've posted before how the weather varies in my universities - Redbrick has two autumns for an academic boost, whereas Metropolitan has two summers for parties - but I also change weather elsewhere, especially holiday destinations. I will change the weather in holiday destinations if, for example, I want sims to take a winter break. It makes it more fun if you have snow.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 12:44 PM
Eternal summer. I don't play much with weather turned on, and I've got mods that keeps the seasons stable, so the only times I turn on weather is if I need it for a picture.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 12:46 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 9th Sep 2016 at 1:35 PM.
Coral Bay is Summer, Autumn, Spring, Summer. It's a sub tropical area.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 1:29 PM
Because I don't like how the game processes snow, I rarely have winter turned on..so my seasons are Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring. The rain is tolerable, as are the lightening storms. Snow just drags it down.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles (including funerals!)
Theorist
#8 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 1:38 PM
Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter for all of my neighborhoods. I also use the weather related mods from http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=255254 (ExtremeTempsForWinterSummer) and http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=238360 (MoreWinterSnow) for more unpredictable weather.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Link Ninja
#9 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 3:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeT
Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter for all of my neighborhoods. I also use the weather related mods from http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=255254 (ExtremeTempsForWinterSummer) and http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=238360 (MoreWinterSnow) for more unpredictable weather.

That's how main hood and downtown are set up, but mostly because I installed Phaenoh's mod for summer vacation and she coded it so that the vacation happens in the second season quarter and there's one day of no school in the final quarter (winter) for the winter Holiday.

However, I have a desert-like downtown which is summer for the first three quarters and fall fro the last, same for my southern beach tourist shopping district with its boardwalk, and then a downtown like Seattle where it's rainy and is rainy the first two seasons, then fall, and finally winter.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Scholar
#10 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 4:08 PM
Strangetown is always Spring, Summer, Summer, Summer. Cuz it's a desert. Anything else I don't think I bother to change it. I keep Riverblossum as it is.

If I do make changes I always try to keep the subhoods to match. Except Strangetown subhoods that aren't deserts, I change to Spring, Summer, Summer, Fall.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Field Researcher
#11 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 5:32 PM
Custom 'hoods will usually be either spring-summer-fall-winter, or spring-summer-fall-fall. I rarely create desert 'hoods on my own.

In my ubermegahood, the EAxis 'hoods have different seasonal set-ups depending on where they are on my mental map. Riverblossom is the furthest north, and in the foothills of a mountain range, so it gets to stay spring-fall-winter-winter. Desiderata Valley is a little bit south from there, as is Academie Le Tour, so they both get spring-fall-fall-winter. In the center area of Simland several 'hoods are clustered fairly close together - Downtown, Belladonna Cove, Bluewater Village, and Sim State University - all of which get spring-summer-fall-winter. A little further south yet are Pleasantview and Veronaville, and they get spring-summer-fall-fall. Then there's La Fiesta Tech, spring-summer-summer-fall, and finally Strangetown, summer-summer-summer-fall. (The vacation spots all get to keep their original set-up).

I admit it - I like the fall skilling bonus the best, in case that wasn't obvious already...
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 5:49 PM
In all hoods but desert terrain hoods I use the standard seasons and standard length of time that comes with the EP.

In my desert hoods I use the standard length of time but I only use fall, spring, summer and summer for the seasons.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#13 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 6:29 PM
Drama Acres is Spring-summer-fall-winter for all subhoods.
Strangetown is Summer-summer-summer-winter, as is LFT attached to it. (I've lived in desert. In the absence of lengthening and shortening seasons, that's what you get. Too Hot, Too Hot, Too Hot - NORTHER!)
Widespot and Bigg City are Winter-spring-summer-fall. ALT, attached, is Spring/Fall/Spring/Fall.
The GS Uberhood is all over the place. Viper Canyon is Summer All the Time. Strangetown is 3 summers and a winter. Widespot is Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter. All the others are four seasons, with the first season set as whatever season it was when Rhett moved out of the last one and into this one; except for the colleges. ALT and SSU are Spring/Fall/Spring/Fall, and LFT is Summer/Summer/Fall/Spring.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#14 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 6:52 PM
I pretty much keep all four seasons. I haven't played a desert hood in years, so I haven't changed the seasons in my main hoods for some time.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 6:58 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 9th Sep 2016 at 9:59 PM.
The Antarctic is a desert, by the way. Deserts don't have to be hot. Just something to consider when making them.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 9:08 PM
I usually play with all four seasons, but in my new custom hood it's just Spring-Summer-Fall-Spring and I realized I don't miss winter at all.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 9:47 PM
I left them in the order they started with, summer, fall, winter and spring. Though reading this thread I might change it to have spring first and winter last, since that is how it is where I live.

I did edit the length of seasons though, to better match the climate where I come from. If I recall correctly I have it set to spring 5 days, summer 6 days, fall 6 days and winter 7 days. Summer really ought to be a day shorter and winter one day longer, but I decided it would have to do this way, since I want my Sims to have a chance to enjoy summer.

If you have questions on how to use SimPE or WW, you're welcome to PM me.
Undead Molten Llama
#18 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
The Antartic is a desert, by the way. Deserts don't have to be hot. Just something to consider when making them.

Yeah, this. There seems to be this idea that all deserts are always warm/hot, but that isn't true at all. It's only true of deserts within tropical zones, like the Sahara in Africa or the Sonoran in Mexico. In reality, deserts are defined by the amount of rainfall they receive, not by temperature, and some of the largest deserts in the world are not in the tropics. Like, as Peni said, the entirety of Antarctica (which is by far the largest desert in the world), as well as the Gobi Desert in China and Mongolia, the Patagonia in Argentina, and much of the US Southwest and Rocky Mountain area on the western slopes of the range. The cold ones are also the driest: Antarctica and the Atacama on the coast of Chile and Peru; in some places in the latter desert, it hasn't rained or snowed in recorded history. The other characteristic of deserts is temperature extremes: When it's hot, it's really hot and when it's cold, it's really cold. And you can have both extremes in the same day, even, particularly in the Gobi. Even where I live (which is on the edge of the desert, not truly desert) in the height of summer in July it might on a really hot day hit 90 degrees (32 Celsius) but once the sun's all the way down, it'll quickly drop down to 40 or so (4 Celsius). When we go watch the fireworks on the 4th of July, we have to bring sweatshirts and coats or blankets to wrap up in by the time the fireworks start. .

All that said, there is no one way to do deserts in the game in terms of setting seasons. It would depend on the type of desert you're portraying. If I were to make a neighborhood set in the type of climate I live in, I'd set the seasons as Winter Spring Fall Winter, as we don't get much of a summer at all so it's not worth having a whole season of it in a simulation. Plus, the majority of the water that we do get falls in the form of snow, not rain, and we can get snow anywhere between late August and early June. In any case, to me, all of the seasons as they are in game are too wet (especially -- and perhaps ironically since people often seem to set deserts as "all summer" -- the summer) to accurately depict an actual desert, no matter its overall climate, as it rains too often and too long. I mean, we'll get localized thunderstorms that give us spectacular lightning (That really does start fires, yay :\ ) and that will sometimes (but not always, hence the fires) dump rain, but when it does rain it generally gets dumped all in a minute or two in a wall of water and then the storm moves on. So, it's quite obvious that how the seasons are coded to "behave" is based on non-desert climates. Which is fine, as I don't expect the programming to be all that complex, but it DOES make it hard to play an actual desert. When I do, I usually end up turning off the weather effects via hacked objects. Which is kind of sad because no snow, but having prolonged periods of rain just totally spoils the effect I'm going for when I DO decide to play a desert climate.

So anyway, how I set the seasons depends on the neighborhood and the climate I want it to have. If it's a really tropical one, it'll be all summer. The mountain vacation place I want to build will likely be Spring Fall Winter Winter. If it's a standard temperate climate it'll have all four seasons in a standard progression. I do like that you can set seasons however you want and that you aren't forced to have four different seasons.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Sep 2016 at 12:43 AM
has anyone tried an Antarctic neighborhood with only winter, I need to see, than my kids would have lots of snowdays

also for the challenge type would be a good apcolipce settings
Mad Poster
#20 Old 10th Sep 2016 at 12:45 AM
I once had a subhood where three out of four seasons were winter. I think the fourth was fall. I don't remember much about it aside from trapping an annoying vistor in fences and watching them freeze.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Usually hanging out in Sim Crafters these days. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Welcome to Oakbrook.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 10th Sep 2016 at 3:26 AM
Usually how it comes in the game by the the default with the subhood matching. In my current 'hood is a tad different though.

Basically when the game transitioned from winter to spring all the ponds didn't unfreeze whatsoever until summer, then in summer all the sims were still occasionally wearing their outwear when going out and the penguin kept visiting as if it was cold for all the season. I quite liked the idea of it being a cold year so I decided to put two winters at the end of the year. I was planning to change it back to it's regular pattern for the next year, but such a cold year with two seasons of snow then transitioning to the regular blazing hot summer just didn't make sense to me. So it's ended up like this:

It's been fun to play, so I might start randomly adding a couple of random colder years next to each other as a sort of climate thing that just happens occasionally.

Aldero Riverside (ts2 bacc)
Glasco family (ts4 gameplay)
Inventor
#22 Old 10th Sep 2016 at 5:41 AM
Nowadays with newer neighborhoods, I just stick with the traditional four seasons starting with spring; however, the downtown at Femo Duo 2 is just two summers followed by two springs. Although I don't care too much for winter in the game although I love colder weather irl (summers in Texas can be unbearable), I just let the Sims bear through it. In an older custom neighborhood I don't even have winter included - it's just spring, summer, fall, summer. One thing I do enjoy about winter is when the penguin comes to visit; if I have fish, I'll lay a few outside for it to gobble up. I once made the mistake of doing that inside the house. XD
Field Researcher
#23 Old 10th Sep 2016 at 8:26 AM
I've played all winter as part of the Apocalypse challenge. I don't really enjoy it except with the challenge of managing to get rid of it - winter feels far too long IRL, I don't really feel an urge to play it in my sims world as well on top of that.

I did know a simmer who had a legacy set in an all-winter 'hood (the Penguinos, I think they were called) but I'm not sure if she's still active.
Theorist
#24 Old 10th Sep 2016 at 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduseo
Usually how it comes in the game by the the default with the subhood matching. In my current 'hood is a tad different though.

Basically when the game transitioned from winter to spring all the ponds didn't unfreeze whatsoever until summer, then in summer all the sims were still occasionally wearing their outwear when going out and the penguin kept visiting as if it was cold for all the season. I quite liked the idea of it being a cold year so I decided to put two winters at the end of the year. I was planning to change it back to it's regular pattern for the next year, but such a cold year with two seasons of snow then transitioning to the regular blazing hot summer just didn't make sense to me.

It's been fun to play, so I might start randomly adding a couple of random colder years next to each other as a sort of climate thing that just happens occasionally.

You know, I love this idea and never think about switching things up weather wise. Weather has been fairly unpredictable the past few years in real life, so this might be a nice thing to incorporate into gameplay and could make things even more challenging for a themed neighborhood (e.g. farming, survivalist).

So, thanks!

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
#25 Old 10th Sep 2016 at 1:19 PM
Fall/Fall/Fall/Fall....can you tell I like fall? LOL

If I need a certain weather element like snow I have the weather vase to take care of that for me.
Page 1 of 2