Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

103 Custer Blvd, Downtown ~ Maxis Remodel #34

by CatherineTCJD Posted 18th Mar 2018 at 8:05 PM - Updated 14th Nov 2018 at 4:38 AM by CatherineTCJD

10 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 7 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 18th Mar 2018 at 11:24 PM
Really well done!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 6th Apr 2019 at 9:54 PM
This is absolutely gorgeous !!! Great job !!!
Forum Resident
#4 Old 18th Jan 2024 at 1:33 AM Last edited by Sims2Maven : 18th Jan 2024 at 3:14 AM.
Sadly, the more I work with this house design, the more uncomfortably cramped I find it. It's pretty, but it doesn't really work for any larger family than DINK (Double Income NO KIDS). Am trying to run it with a couple with one toddler, and there are constant problems.

Followed the advice to switch the upstairs bathroom around (I went a bit farther and put the toilet and sink against the same wall, away from the door) - that helped. But the next thing I discovered is that the coffee table jammed up the living room seating and made it unusable(!), so the coffee table had to go. Tried putting in a TV instead -sometimes the adult Sims sit properly on the sofa, sometimes they stand right in front of the TV to watch it. Got into a hella mess when I tried to add a high chair for the toddler - I finally had to move the whole first floor bathroom one square forward, cutting down the size of the living room, so the kitchen could be expanded enough to fit in that high chair. There's a problem with the stairs, if a Playable Sim and an NPC (eg the Maid) both try to use it at once - they get jammed up on the landing, sometimes so badly as to require a Force Error reset. And then there's all that waste space on the first and second floors, because the stairs were moved in one square....

I put in a matching house next door but changed the color scheme, but after all this I think I will just bulldoze that one and try something different (like a Foursquare).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Jan 2024 at 2:03 PM
It is definitely a very small house!

Have you tried Simler90's Stairmods? ...they will fix some of the wonkiness with the stair traffic.
And the Around and Through Blocks will help with the coffee table, and other furniture in tight places.

This is a remake of a Maxis Downtown lot... I didn't expand it, I just tried to "Victorianize" it a bit.

When I redid the LotBin version of this house (from NightLife, the "City House") I reorganized the rooms a bit differently - but still did not widen it at all.

If you're not averse to mods, try the ones I mentioned ^ - they really help!
If you want other "period" style CC houses - check out my 1920's Series on here. Good luck!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Forum Resident
#6 Old 19th Jan 2024 at 1:31 AM Last edited by Sims2Maven : 19th Jan 2024 at 2:21 AM.
Had the StairMods (but not the latest update, will see if that helps). The house is an interesting design, but it's not a genuine late 19th century Queen Anne - those are never symmetrical, usually have just one turret (sometimes none), and always have at least one front-facing gable. The double turret design is something like "neo-Queen Anne", so the idea that it wouldn't have open floor planning may not apply.

There are a fair few Queen Anne style houses in my town. But sadly, we're about to lose the last vestige of the last free-standing Second Empire house, because it had been neglected too much for too long and there is no saving it. :-( There were three, and the other two were demolished for development decades ago. There's only half or less of the last one left, and it's going, going.... (There remain a few mansard-front townhouses, but that's not the same thing.)

Afterthought: One thing that can be done to improve the authenticity is to mismatch the turrets - make one of them higher and/or wider, even if that means a "deco" third floor. An example: https://historicbuildingsct.com/the...ill-house-1895/ The main roof is hip, not mansard, but side-gable will also work.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Jan 2024 at 1:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
...The house is an interesting design, but it's not a genuine late 19th century Queen Anne - those are never symmetrical, usually have just one turret (sometimes none), and always have at least one front-facing gable. The double turret design is something like "neo-Queen Anne", so the idea that it wouldn't have open floor planning may not apply.

I agree ...and as it looks like EAxis "modernized" it, maybe it is meant to be a McMansion? And not a Victorian at all?

...But sadly, we're about to lose the last vestige of the last free-standing Second Empire house, because it had been neglected too much for too long and there is no saving it. :-(
Oh! That is so sad!

I am just putting the finishing touches on a series of Homes of Character, from a 1912 book. After that project is done, I am thinking of doing a few authentic Queen Ann and Folk Victorian designs. I have a book of those plans just waiting to be done... They are tricky to build. We'll see if I'm up to it, now that I am comfortable with the Grid-Adjuster.

and Vintage Stuffeths
Forum Resident
#8 Old 19th Jan 2024 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
I agree ...and as it looks like EAxis "modernized" it, maybe it is meant to be a McMansion? And not a Victorian at all?

I would say "McMansion" is a pretty good guess. They can look like anything as long as it's large and pretentious. :-)

Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
I am just putting the finishing touches on a series of Homes of Character, from a 1912 book.

Speaking of interesting books, I have a rather beat-up copy of the 1936 FHA Book of Small Houses - which if I ever get around to it I intend to repair and rebind. The book is available via Internet Archive - for now - but a) that's not the same thing and b) who knows if they'll be allowed to keep it online once Big Publishing gets through with them. (I think the book originally belonged to my father, which is another reason for trying to salvage it.)
Forum Resident
#9 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 4:44 AM
On my way home today, I did spot a Queen Anne-ish house that had symmetrical twin towers, but it had a wider front and the towers were placed right on the corners. Per available information, it was built in 1896, which is toward the end of the Queen Anne period proper, so it looks as though it's more of a Queen Anne/Colonial Revival hybrid. Also it was brick, or at least brick-faced all around. No garage, or else the garage was around the back of the lot. Interesting....
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 2:00 PM
On my way home today, I did spot a Queen Anne-ish house that had symmetrical twin towers...
Interesting! Thank you for telling me.
I've seen houses similar to that too. Sometimes in stucco or brick... which kinda brings to mind Italianate style too - like the one below.
Who knows what they had in mind, but I like them!
Screenshots

and Vintage Stuffeths
Forum Resident
#11 Old 24th Jan 2024 at 5:55 AM
If I recall correctly what I was once told, the blocks that look like rough-cut limestone are actually molded concrete - there was (and apparently still is) a minor industry based on producing forms to make them for builders who want that particular rough-hewn look.