Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

36 Greaves Ave, Downtown ~ Maxis Makeover #36

by CatherineTCJD Posted 25th Mar 2018 at 7:25 PM

13 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 9 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#2 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 8:42 PM
A less awkward floor plan.... a basement for projects and entertainment... It just needs a tree outside to make city living that much more enjoyable.... Nice job!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 8:45 PM
Thank you, Red! Yes, a tree and a nice BBQ patio, and a swing set, and a garden, and a...
But, I already overran my budget *sigh* I guess my sim's gonna hafta get a job

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Inventor
THANKS POST
#4 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 10:29 PM
Such a nice renovation, once I get my game reinstalled I'm definitely downloading this first. Thank you!
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 6:25 AM
Another great improvement.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#6 Old 31st Mar 2018 at 8:57 PM
I got a problem with this one, I downloaded, put it into game and placed it in the city, but I got basement FULL of water.
Could you please help me fix this?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Apr 2018 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ignissimo
...I got basement FULL of water. Could you please help me fix this?

HUH! I've never had that happen in Downtown... strange!
This happens all the time in Blue Water Village and in at least 2 of the vacation hoods. It's because the "water table" is too low in these areas. I've got a couple of houses I'm about to upload from BlueWater - they have this problem to - and below is a mini-tute I came up with to help with this issue. I hope this helps!
Screenshots

and Vintage Stuffeths
Field Researcher
#8 Old 1st Apr 2018 at 7:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
HUH! I've never had that happen in Downtown... strange!
This happens all the time in Blue Water Village and in at least 2 of the vacation hoods. It's because the "water table" is too low in these areas. I've got a couple of houses I'm about to upload from BlueWater - they have this problem to - and below is a mini-tute I came up with to help with this issue. I hope this helps!

Ooohhhh! That's the problem! This lot is only made for Downtown...
I put it into my root neighbourhood, but my downtown isn't any better - it is custom, and probably the waterline is low anyway.
Thank you for the cheat! I'll try this out once I log into game tonight
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th May 2018 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ignissimo
...This lot is only made for Downtown...

Just to clarify - this lot can be used ANYWHERE. It was made/re-made in Downtown, on it's original lot, but it is NOT only for Downtown

and Vintage Stuffeths
Forum Resident
#10 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 12:51 AM
You have long been one of my favorite creators, Catherine. Thanks for all your makeovers. I particularly liked the changes to the floorplan here, so much that I put it in my hood (and that's a high bar these days).

Question for you. I've noticed that a number of your lots feature a counter and an island meeting at a corner, like they do in the kitchen area here. In my game, sims cannot serve to the corner piece of the island, so for example in this lot there's really only one stool usable for normal eating from a plate placed on the island. (They can sit at the other stool, but only eat from a plate in their hand.) Do you have a mod that makes it possible for them to use that spot for normal dining, or is that spot in your kitchens meant just for show?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
You have long been one of my favorite creators, Catherine. Thanks for all your makeovers...
...I've noticed that a number of your lots feature a counter and an island meeting at a corner...
...or is that spot in your kitchens meant just for show?

First of all - THANK YOU!!! I'm sooooo happy you appreciate all the stuffeths :lovestruc
Second, that's not two pieces (counter and island) it's just the one - the completer island piece from Ms Barrows here on MTS.
And third, sadly, I guess it's just for show As you know, I'm a builder - I don't play much (though I've been starting to play a bit these last few weeks - boy, am I learning a LOT!) Anywhooo, I didn't realize there was a problem. They can sit there fine, so I thought everything was good. So, I did some testing - see the pictures...

Now I know... the corner counter is just for show. If there is a fix for this somewhere - I'd really like to have it! I like to build realistically - and it's realistic to be able to eat at the kitchen counter/bar. Silly EAxis programmers!
Screenshots

and Vintage Stuffeths
Forum Resident
#12 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 2:05 PM
I do really enjoy your lots, both remakes and originals!

Ah, yes, it's true, I often don't download the cc with a lot unless it states it's needed for the lot to work; just a personal quirk, since I can see the pictures in upload thread and often do revamp interiors or just recreate with what I have.

I'm really glad I asked, then---I've always wondered because you usually mention having playtested, and since you use this configuration a lot, I thought you might have a mod you don't mention; I was pretty sure Ms. Barrows' counter object wasn't hacked, just a new mesh.

In case you are curious about why it doesn't work for them to eat from the counter surface in that configuration, it's because you've blocked their routing to put the dish down on the counter, which they can only do from the space where the fridge is now; they have to do that first before walking around the island to sit and eat from it on the other side (awkward but true).

Hm, so I went looking briefly, and I wonder: will this mod by Numenor help any? I haven't time to test it and have never installed it myself, but perhaps you will find it worth your while to test out? It might only apply to actual corners, though, which could mean it's close but no cigar. But maybe it could be (or has been) expanded on even if so?

I love hearing that you're discovering new aspects of sim life by playing more! I think it can only make your lots better from here. I really enjoy your designs and their realism, though it's true I make revisions to some to remove routing difficulties (for example, 1-tile-wide hallways are troublesome as well if there's much traffic, because sims aren't able to "squeeze past" one another like we can).

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
...I often don't download the cc with a lot unless it states it's needed for the lot to work...

...And I'm trying more and more to use less and less CC in my uploadable lots - because no one needs more! I've got way too much in my "main" game - so it sits there not getting played; meanwhile my "building" game now has a whole community of test-sims who've found houses they like and have started 'living' :lovestruc (Not the Gavigans though - they are still hunting. LOL!)
Ah, well...
I do have Numenor's SEP - it doesn't help in this situation though. After looking at his post, I am reminded that the SEP is why nukers are usable in the corners - I should probably mention that with my lots that have nukers on corner counters (it seems I do that all the time!)

Is it only fridges that block the path - or is it anything? So, EAxis, in their programming wisdom, expect the kitchen bar/counter to NOT be connected to anything (which explains why many islands and counters do not connect correctly) *sigh* I'm gonna have to have my guys eat at home more often.

Thank you for the info

and Vintage Stuffeths
Forum Resident
#14 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 6:54 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 12th Aug 2018 at 4:50 PM.
...And I'm trying more and more to use less and less CC in my uploadable lots - because no one needs more!

So true. And thank you!

(Not the Gavigans though - they are still hunting. LOL!)

May they hunt forever, bless their little sim hearts.

Great to know about Numenor's mod then; saves me the trouble of checking it out. Ah, yes, you and microwave ovens! Erm...I have to confess that possibly since I don't use them in real life (I am odd, either cooking from scratch or going out), I delete them from sim kitchens as well, even yours. I'd rather have the counter space, because my sims throw lots of parties and I want room for guests to deposit empty plates!

Is it only fridges that block the path - or is it anything? So, EAxis, in their programming wisdom, expect the kitchen bar/counter to NOT be connected to anything (which explains why many islands and counters do not connect correctly) *sigh* I'm gonna have to have my guys eat at home more often.

Anything in that square that they can't step over (like a toddler toy), sadly. But more compact homes and floorplans were a thing the community did, not an EAxian thing, right, so I think that they just didn't plan for us to try and get so much into such smaller spaces! So you can definitely connect the kitchen bar/counter, just not expect to use it...I assume because they never expected that one tile unusable wouldn't make or break any kitchen (even though it SO CAN in real life and in realistic sim homes!).

Editing to clarify: I think I was too flip just there (and being flip about EAxis' assumptions, not yours) and ended up coming across confusingly; you are correct that many islands and counters don't join properly anyway!

Thank you for the info

My pleasure!