Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Multi-Storey Parking Lot/Garage - (No CC)

by dragomander Posted 19th Aug 2018 at 4:22 PM - Updated 28th Aug 2018 at 5:05 AM by dragomander

21 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 9 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Forum Resident
#2 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 5:33 PM
Very intriguing. Where is it that things "don't connect"? I had often thought about doing something like this, with the top 2 floors being dedicated to some kind of community lot. Kudos to you for keeping this lot CC-free, but if folks wanted, MogHughson's Decorative Parking Spaces - with random cars parked would complement your lot very nicely!

Cool lot. Thanks for sharing!

-grinEvilly
>=)
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#3 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 5:34 PM
This is fantastic! I've actually wondered if it would work to do a garage with CFE in exactly this way, and never actually got around to testing it (the only lot I've made that has a multistory parking garage is one where there wouldn't have been space to do it "right" like this anyway, so I just rely on suspension of disbelief to explain why there's cars on the 4th floor and no ramp to get them there!). Very nicely done, and it looks pretty convincing to me!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#4 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 6:19 PM
I think this is great and plan on using it. Thank you.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#5 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 7:10 PM
Neat idea! This will fit areas like Downtown perfectly.

I second MogHughson's Decorative Parking Spaces mod!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 7:22 PM
This is so awesome! Can't wait to put this in my downtowns. Thank you for sharing!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 10:31 PM
What is the "neat trick" you used to connect the levels? I don't recognise the items.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 7:07 AM Last edited by dragomander : 20th Aug 2018 at 7:20 AM.
Hi everyone! I'm really glad that you like the lot. Took me quite a while to piece it together, so I really appreciate that.

I just tried MogHughson's Decorative Parking Spaces mod and I must say it's simply perfect, especially since it can remain a community lot. Highly recommended (for those who do not mind CC)!

The trick I used to link the floors is basically making them appear connected using *drumroll* decorations! I used the cornice found in Decorative > Misc. to set the bridge before adjusting the terrain.

Thanks for the support!
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 7:14 AM
Default Update: Smoother Rooftop Entrance
Hey all, so I was still experimenting with the lot and managed to level the jagged rooftop entrance so it's a little more eye pleasing.

Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 7:44 PM
A very good idea - I've seen pictures of multi-story parking lots, but could never figure out how it would work... question: since there are still open spaces between the deco elements - is that intentional (looking good, like speed bumps) or was it not possible to put them closer together?

At some point I actually tried to make some sort multi level ramp lot using Mootildas Grid Adjuster & the invisible stairs from this thread - it failed horribly, so kudos too for finding a much easier solution.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 11:08 PM
Not sure how I'm going to use this in the game, but it's too cool not to have it!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Aug 2018 at 8:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Little Nemo
A very good idea - I've seen pictures of multi-story parking lots, but could never figure out how it would work... question: since there are still open spaces between the deco elements - is that intentional (looking good, like speed bumps) or was it not possible to put them closer together?

At some point I actually tried to make some sort multi level ramp lot using Mootildas Grid Adjuster & the invisible stairs from this thread - it failed horribly, so kudos too for finding a much easier solution.

Actually, I had to leave the gap because the terrain in it is extremely steep. So I tried some random deco items and this seemed ideal, especially since it did look like a drain cover. This GridAdjuster method seems to produce functioning ramps but looks complex though.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#13 Old 22nd Aug 2018 at 3:00 AM
@dragomander - have you considered doing up a tutorial on the concepts and tools you've used to achieve this? It seems, many people had similar ideas but weren't able to achieve their desired effect. I'm sure many people would be interested in a photo-illustrated tutorial showing exactly how you overcame all the technical obstacles! Please do, and good luck!

-gE
>=)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Aug 2018 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grinevilly
@dragomander - have you considered doing up a tutorial on the concepts and tools you've used to achieve this? It seems, many people had similar ideas but weren't able to achieve their desired effect. I'm sure many people would be interested in a photo-illustrated tutorial showing exactly how you overcame all the technical obstacles! Please do, and good luck!

-gE
>=)

Hmm, you're right. I'll try to get one up and going soon. Stay tuned!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#15 Old 22nd Aug 2018 at 6:18 PM
I'm wondering if this would work on the Mac Version of Sims 2. I don't have Free Time or Apartment life, or most of the stuff packs so I don't know what elements you pulled out of decorative to make the garage work. But I love the idea, even if it won't work for me.
Theorist
THANKS POST
#16 Old 23rd Aug 2018 at 5:22 AM
I agree that you should write a tutorial on how you did this, it's very clever. I think this could be used to finally make some realistic-looking bridges, especially for vehicles, although players need to understand that they would not be functional and Sims would not be able to walk across them.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 4:07 AM
Default Simple Ramp Tutorial
Okay, It's ready. I've made a (long-winded) tutorial on how to make ramps as seen in my parking lot. It's on my Journal (right here). Happy experimenting
Link Ninja
THANKS POST
#18 Old 28th Aug 2018 at 2:36 AM
This was such a good idea for a lot
Field Researcher
#19 Old 28th Aug 2018 at 10:46 AM
This looks like so many of the car parks I loathe getting stuck in after anything I see at the theatre, haha. Great job!

.:: B2SIMS.com ::.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 9:56 AM
This is amazing, great job! It will suit perfectly in my urban neighbourhood.

Did I really say that?
- Well, at least yesterday is behind us now.
/Jonipoon
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#21 Old 7th May 2019 at 7:13 PM
This building rocks on several levels. Even if never visited it is still a great addition to neighborhood ambiance. You have used many techniques that a lot of us haven't the skill to do, so the realism is a huge plus. There are buy able statues of cars - not drive-able but realistic enough looking. Many who make stories will probably like a lot like this as a setting. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#22 Old 16th Jul 2020 at 7:01 PM
Just what I needed for my downtown. Thank you for making this!