Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

The Sims 4 Ultimate Mod Manager V1.2 - SUBFOLDER SUPPORT

by Jibby Posted 22nd Jun 2019 at 5:56 PM - Updated 27th Jul 2019 at 12:57 AM by Jibby

170 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 127 Feedback Posts, 42 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 7
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 5:59 PM
Cool, Thanks!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 6:49 PM
Looking good and very useful! Nice job!
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 6:52 PM
I was wondering if it shows broken or outdated mods?
Inventor
THANKS POST
#5 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 7:33 PM
I think this is a very useful tool. Thank you very much for sharing it!!!! I am looking forward to using it in my game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 7:41 PM
Thanks so much for downloading everyone! And thanks to the wonderful feedback from the moderators in the approval PM (I'll implement the suggestions into the post soon!).
As mentioned in the OP, this is just the beginning! I want to make this program bigger and even more feature packed so keep an eye out for updates and bugfixes coming soon
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Midnight Vampire
I was wondering if it shows broken or outdated mods?

It doesn't currently no. I'm not sure if I would be able to achieve this as I'm unfamiliar with the structure of package files, but it's something I can look into in the future!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#8 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 9:38 PM
Ah, okay. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 3:38 AM
Does this show mods that conflict with each other? It's hard for someone who doesn't know how to dig inside the package files to know which mods use which XML, especially since not all modders explain which XML are used (honestly, I've only ever seem MTS modders do that).
Smeg Head
THANKS POST
#10 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 10:35 AM Last edited by coolspear1 : 23rd Jun 2019 at 11:08 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jibby
It doesn't currently no. I'm not sure if I would be able to achieve this as I'm unfamiliar with the structure of package files, but it's something I can look into in the future!

The holy grail of application features.

To get it to work? First you would need to have downloaded every mod out there from all creators, sources and websites. Next extract every, single XML each mod package file uses and then programme each of them into your application as is. Then come each patch, run those (Many thousands) you've stored in your app against any changes made to same files by Maxis during patch. All the while taking into account the changes the modders first made to the files, as they will always be highlighted as being different when running checks against Maxis files, as such may always be considered to be broken by your app as they will never be the same as the original Maxis files. (Getting that balance right will take some doing.)

Good luck looking into it. You'd be the first in history to do it on a general, wide scale, covering the vast world of mods out there. A modder could do it for there own small range of mods, as Twallan did for his Sims 3 NRaas suite of mods, but on a general scale for most mods? Not impossible, but very impractical. And every time all your hard work and long nights have put something together ready for release, the next patch will tear it apart and bring you right back to square one. Not impossible, but highly untenable. Think "Steam," pretty much the kind of app you'd have to build to contain all that info about mods and do all that regular mod checking against continual game file updates. (Not forgetting such an app feature would be worth millions when considering all its other practical uses outside of checking game mods.) So, really, good luck. Do a promising job and who knows, maybe even EA will be knocking on your door to implement the feature into Origin to do as Steam does for its games and mods.

Aside from that, I do like your new app and am looking forward to seeing how it develops and the new features yet to come.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 12:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
The holy grail of application features.

To get it to work? First you would need to have downloaded every mod out there from all creators, sources and websites. Next extract every, single XML each mod package file uses and then programme each of them into your application as is. Then come each patch, run those (Many thousands) you've stored in your app against any changes made to same files by Maxis during patch. All the while taking into account the changes the modders first made to the files, as they will always be highlighted as being different when running checks against Maxis files, as such may always be considered to be broken by your app as they will never be the same as the original Maxis files. (Getting that balance right will take some doing.)

Good luck looking into it. You'd be the first in history to do it on a general, wide scale, covering the vast world of mods out there. A modder could do it for there own small range of mods, as Twallan did for his Sims 3 NRaas suite of mods, but on a general scale for most mods? Not impossible, but very impractical. And every time all your hard work and long nights have put something together ready for release, the next patch will tear it apart and bring you right back to square one. Not impossible, but highly untenable. Think "Steam," pretty much the kind of app you'd have to build to contain all that info about mods and do all that regular mod checking against continual game file updates. (Not forgetting such an app feature would be worth millions when considering all its other practical uses outside of checking game mods.) So, really, good luck. Do a promising job and who knows, maybe even EA will be knocking on your door to implement the feature into Origin to do as Steam does for its games and mods.

Aside from that, I do like your new app and am looking forward to seeing how it develops and the new features yet to come.

Ah thanks for the info haha. Maybe not so feasible after all!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 12:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mizuki_Ukitake
Does this show mods that conflict with each other? It's hard for someone who doesn't know how to dig inside the package files to know which mods use which XML, especially since not all modders explain which XML are used (honestly, I've only ever seem MTS modders do that).

Not at the moment. I've seen applications do this before so I know it's not impossible, but as I mentioned earlier, my technical knowledge of package files and XML is pretty limited so I'd have to learn how to do this properly.
Not writing off the suggestion, but I'm going to work on polishing the application and adding in more QoL features before I dive into this kind of thing.
Test Subject
#13 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 1:36 PM
Sell you my ARM for a mac version of this. it's amazing, thank you!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 1:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SamichMachine
Sell you my ARM for a mac version of this. it's amazing, thank you!!

Thank you! I'd love to make a version for macOS but unfortunately I don't actually own any Macs (or know how to program them for that matter!).

But if I ever do get a Mac, you can bet that I'll at least try porting it over!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 11:51 PM
mate, this is so....hang on I've got to punch this angel in the face she is singing again....AMAZING!! Please keep expanding, we need this.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Jun 2019 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by McgooDavey
mate, this is so....hang on I've got to punch this angel in the face she is singing again....AMAZING!! Please keep expanding, we need this.

Thank you so much for the kind words! Really motivates me to develop the application further.
Keep checking back as I'm already working on new features like a built in file manager that'll be ready soon!

Thanks for using my program
Test Subject
#17 Old 24th Jun 2019 at 12:25 PM
Hello thank you very much for this utility, just a quick question, I know it's a lot to ask, but would it be possible to put it in French please. Because I and English suck
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 24th Jun 2019 at 2:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by severine30900
Hello thank you very much for this utility, just a quick question, I know it's a lot to ask, but would it be possible to put it in French please. Because I and English suck

Hi there! Thanks for getting in touch.

As for translating the program, it's not something I would object to doing down the line. But for now I want to focus my time and resources into making the application more feature complete and fixing bugs. Once it's at a state I'm happy with, if I can find people that speak a different language and are willing to help out, I'll add as many translations as I can!

I want my tool to be accessible to as many people as possible, but as I'm not multilingual it's not something I can do as I go.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#19 Old 24th Jun 2019 at 8:53 PM
Awesome work!
Test Subject
#20 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 6:26 AM
I think I might need a tutorial for it, cause I don't know how to use it! ):
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 7:17 AM
Is it have thumbnail for .package file
Awesome !
Test Subject
#22 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 8:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coolbird
Awesome !

Also wondering
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CataSweetSunshine
I think I might need a tutorial for it, cause I don't know how to use it! ):

Hi there! I'm sorry that you're having difficulty. There's a quick outline in the OP under 'How to Use', however I realise that this may not be sufficient so I'm currently working on a more in depth video tutorial too. I will let you know when this has been uploaded!

In the meantime, if anyone has any particular questions or needs to know how to do something in particular, feel free to ask here or send me a PM! I'm more than happy to offer support
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolbird
Awesome !

Quote: Originally posted by MissMeePee
Also wondering

Hey guys! In it's current state, the application doesn't extract or examine the contents of package files. Doing this would be a massive challenge for me as I wouldn't even know where to start building a feature like this. That's not to say I won't attempt it one day, but for now I want to work on my personal roadmap for the program + fix bugs. After that, I'll start examining the feasibility of actually looking inside the package files.

Thanks!
Test Subject
#25 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 2:42 PM
Was so excited to download this until I saw it wasn't available for Mac OS. I look forward to trying it in the future if you're able to make that happen otherwise, this looks incredible
Page 1 of 7