Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2019 at 8:16 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default 4 gb patch not installing?
I'm trying to install the 4gb patch but no matter what my config file keeps saying "Memory: 2048MB Free memory: 2048MB" instead of 4000 something. i have applied it to the latest ep which is mansion and garden stuff but that didn't work, so i followed advice and moved Sims2EP9.exe to cs bin and like an idiot tried to open it from my shortcut on my desktop but of course since i moved that file it didn't recognize the game was in there so i made a new shortcut and tried that again. the config file still claims 2048MB so i tried moving the .exe to the desktop and re-applying the patch and moving the .exe back into tsbin and yet still no go. still 2048MB. so im confused. help would be nice ><

the game seems to be accepting my graphics card and everything but im not sure whats going on.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 16th Nov 2019 at 9:59 PM
The file in CSBin is for BodyShop. It's not for loading your game. Leave the original Sims2EP9.exe file where it is supposed to be. For UC, that's "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe"
Make sure the file is not read only and apply the patch to that file. See if that works.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Nov 2019 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
The file in CSBin is for BodyShop. It's not for loading your game. Leave the original Sims2EP9.exe file where it is supposed to be. For UC, that's "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe"
Make sure the file is not read only and apply the patch to that file. See if that works.

i wasnt talking about bodyshop. a video i watched said if you take the Sims2EP9.exe and move it then it tricks the game into updating it with the 4gb thing that you apply it to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iwuLZyjMg it didnt work. i did apply it to Sims2EP9.exe
Alchemist
#4 Old 16th Nov 2019 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by onica432
i wasnt talking about bodyshop. a video i watched said if you take the Sims2EP9.exe and move it then it tricks the game into updating it with the 4gb thing that you apply it to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iwuLZyjMg it didnt work. i did apply it to Sims2EP9.exe

Yeah, I know, but that's not right. Just apply the patch to the one I showed you in Pets unless you don't have all EPs/UC.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Nov 2019 at 3:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Yeah, I know, but that's not right. Just apply the patch to the one I showed you in Pets unless you don't have all EPs/UC.

i applied it to that file first. it didnt work which is why i tried that method. i own all the sims expansions. disk versions tho, no ultimate collection.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Nov 2019 at 8:14 AM
Make sure you didn't set the game in compatibility mode, that will take the patch off.
Also check that you are the Administrator and that your anti virus is set to not read any sims 2 files.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Nov 2019 at 1:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Make sure you didn't set the game in compatibility mode, that will take the patch off.
Also check that you are the Administrator and that your anti virus is set to not read any sims 2 files.

check check and check. :/ unfortunately it still does not work.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 17th Nov 2019 at 7:28 PM
I also had much trouble applying that patch. I've tried several things. If I recall correctly (not 100% sure), what worked for me was:

1. move the .exe-file to the desktop;
2. apply the patch there;
3. then move it to the CSBin-folder;
4. and run it as an administrator --> within the 4GB-patch thread there is a warning that you should not have any compatibility options set when trying to apply the patch, but you might try turning it on again after application.

I have tried a lot of times to apply it (20x? 50x?). Sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesn't. Even when using the same method. I'd suggest fiddling around with different places for the .exe-file and just keep trying. Eventually the patch will install itself.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Nov 2019 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simone95
I also had much trouble applying that patch. I've tried several things. If I recall correctly (not 100% sure), what worked for me was:

1. move the .exe-file to the desktop;
2. apply the patch there;
3. then move it to the CSBin-folder;
4. and run it as an administrator --> within the 4GB-patch thread there is a warning that you should not have any compatibility options set when trying to apply the patch, but you might try turning it on again after application.

I have tried a lot of times to apply it (20x? 50x?). Sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesn't. Even when using the same method. I'd suggest fiddling around with different places for the .exe-file and just keep trying. Eventually the patch will install itself.

i dont understand, so theres just no way to guarentee that the program actually does what its supposed to??
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Nov 2019 at 9:45 PM
actually after further inspection i do wonder if theres more than just one problem, beyond the memory still consistantly showing up as "Memory: 2048MB Free memory: 2048MB" in the config log instead of 4000 some, indicating that once again the 4gb thing did not work, some other things show up that worry me but im not sure if they matter. such as: === Sound device info === Name: Unknown Driver: Unknown, and Monitor aspect: 1.597972, <<UNRECOGNIZED>> is this important?
The graphics device info is all showing up though.
also theres a few things in logs that pop up and i dont understand such as "missing-anim-a" which once opened is empty.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 17th Nov 2019 at 10:31 PM Last edited by HobbesED : 17th Nov 2019 at 10:47 PM.
actually after further inspection i do wonder if theres more than just one problem, beyond the memory still consistantly showing up as "Memory: 2048MB Free memory: 2048MB" in the config log instead of 4000 some, indicating that once again the 4gb thing did not work, some other things show up that worry me but im not sure if they matter. such as: === Sound device info === Name: Unknown Driver: Unknown, and Monitor aspect: 1.597972, <<UNRECOGNIZED>> is this important?
The graphics device info is all showing up though.
also theres a few things in logs that pop up and i dont understand such as "missing-anim-a" which once opened is empty.

First off, are you running a 64bit operating system? If you aren't then the 4GB patch will not work. It only works for 64bit operating systems.

Assuming you are running a 64bit OS, there is a way to verify without question if you have successfully applied the 4GB patch.
If you download and run CFF Explorer from NTCore HERE -- use the "– CFF Explorer (x86 Version, stand-alone, zip Archive)" about 1/3 of the way down -- and then look at the Sims2EP9.exe using CFF Explorer as shown below, it will tell you if the 4GB patch is applied.
FIRST -- Make a backup copy of your Sims2EP9.exe for safe keeping.... Mine is called Sims2EP9.exe-original.

Step 1 - after opening Sims2EP9.exe with CFF Explorer, click the "File Header" line on the left.
Step 2 - click on the "Click here" line
Step 3 - verify whether the "App can handle >2gb address space" is checked. If it is, then the patch is applied. If not, then select it and press "OK" to apply the patch.

If it shows as applied, then the problem is elsewhere and you might want to figure out why your config file doesn't show it properly.
Screenshots

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Nov 2019 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
First off, are you running a 64bit operating system? If you aren't then the 4GB patch will not work. It only works for 64bit operating systems.

Assuming you are running a 64bit OS, there is a way to verify without question if you have successfully applied the 4GB patch.
If you download and run CFF Explorer from NTCore HERE -- use the "– CFF Explorer (x86 Version, stand-alone, zip Archive)" about 1/3 of the way down -- and then look at the Sims2EP9.exe using CFF Explorer as shown below, it will tell you if the 4GB patch is applied.
FIRST -- Make a backup copy of your Sims2EP9.exe for safe keeping.... Mine is called Sims2EP9.exe-original.

Step 1 - after opening Sims2EP9.exe with CFF Explorer, click the "File Header" line on the left.
Step 2 - click on the "Click here" line
Step 3 - verify whether the "App can handle >2gb address space" is checked. If it is, then the patch is applied. If not, then select it and press "OK" to apply the patch.

If it shows as applied, then the problem is elsewhere and you might want to figure out why your config file doesn't show it properly.

okay, first of all. that is super super helpful, thankyou for that. second, since it does indeed actually say it can handle more than the 2gb what other problem would cause the problem? Like am i completely incorrect in my assuming its not working right because its only showing 2048MB? i read that it is supposed to say 4000 or somthing if the 4gb is installed correct? gods. the sims 2. i love it but every time i think i fix one problem i find i have another one that i have no understanding of...
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 18th Nov 2019 at 8:33 AM
i dont understand, so theres just no way to guarentee that the program actually does what its supposed to??

No, there's just no guarantee that it will apply. Once it's succesfully applied, it will do what it's supposed to do. And that's why I say that I've tried a zillion times using different methods. And it finally worked for me when using a method that I had already used before, weirdly enough. So that's why I suggest you just keep trying.

I'm wondering: are you actually running the game in order to check the 4GB patch? The log will only update when starting the game (I even thought after entering a neighbourhood). Just checking!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Nov 2019 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simone95
No, there's just no guarantee that it will apply. Once it's succesfully applied, it will do what it's supposed to do. And that's why I say that I've tried a zillion times using different methods. And it finally worked for me when using a method that I had already used before, weirdly enough. So that's why I suggest you just keep trying.

I'm wondering: are you actually running the game in order to check the 4GB patch? The log will only update when starting the game (I even thought after entering a neighbourhood). Just checking!

i am yes, i even deleted the logs so to make sure they were updating correctly (unnecessary im sure but i did it anyways) :/
Forum Resident
#15 Old 19th Nov 2019 at 1:35 AM
okay, first of all. that is super super helpful, thankyou for that. second, since it does indeed actually say it can handle more than the 2gb what other problem would cause the problem? Like am i completely incorrect in my assuming its not working right because its only showing 2048MB? i read that it is supposed to say 4000 or somthing if the 4gb is installed correct? gods. the sims 2. i love it but every time i think i fix one problem i find i have another one that i have no understanding of...

I assume from your reply that you did verify with CFF Explorer that the .exe file you checked did have the >2gb address space box checked. That means that the executable that you checked has the patch applied to it. Disregard what anyone else says - you have edited THAT executable directly and it shows that it does support the larger address space. Time to move on - you have applied the patch.

Again, please verify what Operating System your computer is using. Even though the TS2EP9.exe is patched and could use the additional address space, if your OS is a 32 bit OS, then IT WILL NEVER WORK since it is beyond the capability of a 32 bit OS to do so. So please, what Operating System is your computer using?

HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 19th Nov 2019 at 1:58 AM
I assume from your reply that you did verify with CFF Explorer that the .exe file you checked did have the >2gb address space box checked. That means that the executable that you checked has the patch applied to it. Disregard what anyone else says - you have edited THAT executable directly and it shows that it does support the larger address space. Time to move on - you have applied the patch.

Again, please verify what Operating System your computer is using. Even though the TS2EP9.exe is patched and could use the additional address space, if your OS is a 32 bit OS, then IT WILL NEVER WORK since it is beyond the capability of a 32 bit OS to do so. So please, what Operating System is your computer using?

yes, it did show that the >2gb box was checked. so does that mean that im worrying over nothing? the log file still reads Memory: 2048MB Free memory: 2048MB i heard that its SUPPOSED to read 4000 somthing, was this incorrect?

im running windows 10 x64
Forum Resident
#17 Old 19th Nov 2019 at 3:49 PM Last edited by HobbesED : 19th Nov 2019 at 4:03 PM.
yes, it did show that the >2gb box was checked. so does that mean that im worrying over nothing? the log file still reads Memory: 2048MB Free memory: 2048MB i heard that its SUPPOSED to read 4000 somthing, was this incorrect?

im running windows 10 x64

What others are saying is correct. The config-log.txt file SHOULD show 4096MB. What we've done so far is prove that you have successfully applied the patch to a .exe file. So you should be able disregard anything further about applying the patch. And since you are running a 64 bit OS, then that eliminates the 32 bit OS as a reason why a patched .exe file would not be working. Now it is time to work on why the config file isn't showing the 4096MB as it should.

(1) Are you running TS2 from a shortcut? If so, right click the shortcut properties and tell us what path it is using to the TS2EP9.exe file. Is that the file & path of the .exe file you checked using CFF Explorer? (In other words, you verified that a .exe file was patched, now we want to verify that patched file is the .exe file that is used when you start your game.)

(2) Can you post your config-log.txt file here? At the very least, the lines of it down to the "Global Properties" section.

(3) Another thought just occurred to me. How much memory does your machine have? Perhaps it doesn't have enough memory to use the patch. (Although this is highly unlikely, I thought I'd check.)

By the way, my config-log also shows unknown name and unknown driver in the sound device info. As long as you get sound from the game, I wouldn't worry about that. It probably just means whatever your sound card device is it isn't one that the game was aware of when it was written.

I don't know what the monitor aspect error is. What size window are you running the game in? Perhaps it is a resolution that the game isn't familiar with. That's just a guess. But I doubt either of those things are affecting why the log isn't showing your Memory and Free memory properly.

HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th Nov 2019 at 5:31 PM
Are you a disc user? There was an incident in my thread about my fix where there was a user who did some work in a folder that was covered by UAC and didn't have permissions for non-administrative users.

https://modthesims.info/showthread....280#post5580280

Could you look at it and see if there's also an EXE underneath some "VirtualStore" folder indicative of UAC being in effect on that folder and that you have permission to write files to the TSBin directory?

This could explain why all those explorer tools see the a right and proper EXE but Windows doesn't.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Nov 2019 at 7:40 PM Last edited by onica432 : 20th Nov 2019 at 8:02 PM.
What others are saying is correct. The config-log.txt file SHOULD show 4096MB. What we've done so far is prove that you have successfully applied the patch to a .exe file. So you should be able disregard anything further about applying the patch. And since you are running a 64 bit OS, then that eliminates the 32 bit OS as a reason why a patched .exe file would not be working. Now it is time to work on why the config file isn't showing the 4096MB as it should.

(1) Are you running TS2 from a shortcut? If so, right click the shortcut properties and tell us what path it is using to the TS2EP9.exe file. Is that the file & path of the .exe file you checked using CFF Explorer? (In other words, you verified that a .exe file was patched, now we want to verify that patched file is the .exe file that is used when you start your game.)

(2) Can you post your config-log.txt file here? At the very least, the lines of it down to the "Global Properties" section.

(3) Another thought just occurred to me. How much memory does your machine have? Perhaps it doesn't have enough memory to use the patch. (Although this is highly unlikely, I thought I'd check.)

By the way, my config-log also shows unknown name and unknown driver in the sound device info. As long as you get sound from the game, I wouldn't worry about that. It probably just means whatever your sound card device is it isn't one that the game was aware of when it was written.

I don't know what the monitor aspect error is. What size window are you running the game in? Perhaps it is a resolution that the game isn't familiar with. That's just a guess. But I doubt either of those things are affecting why the log isn't showing your Memory and Free memory properly.

1) i am running it from a shortcut but it also the correct one, as it leads directly to the patched ."C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Fun with Pets Collection\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe" -w
2) === Application info ===
Name: The Sims 2 EP9
Version: 1.17.0.66
Build: ReleaseSRT
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows NT 6.0
CPU: 4748.799804Mhz, Name:GenuineIntel, FPU:1, MMX:1
Memory: 2048MB
Free memory: 2048MB
User: Lori
Computer: SIM-GALAXY
=== Sound device info ===
Name: Unknown
Driver: Unknown
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): GeForce 7800 GTX
Name (database): GeForce 7800 GTX
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 0091, Board: 00000000, Chipset: 0000
Driver: nvd3dum.dll, Version: 32767.65535.65535.65535, GUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Driver version: 65535
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Monitor aspect: 1.597972, <<UNRECOGNIZED>>
Screen mode: 1920x1080x32BPP,60Hz
Texture memory: 940MB
HW T&L: Fixed function:1 Programmable:3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Texture stages: 8
AppControlledAA: 1
3)computer says 16.0 gb ram

good to know i dont need to worry about those then.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 20th Nov 2019 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crazysim
Are you a disc user? There was an incident in my thread about my fix where there was a user who did some work in a folder that was covered by UAC and didn't have permissions for non-administrative users.

https://modthesims.info/showthread....280#post5580280

Could you look at it and see if there's also an EXE underneath some "VirtualStore" folder indicative of UAC being in effect on that folder and that you have permission to write files to the TSBin directory?

This could explain why all those explorer tools see the a right and proper EXE but Windows doesn't.

i've seen that issue, i am a disk user and i did make it so 'Everyone' was granted all privileges. i also went into appdata and deleted the eagames folder, made sure that i had it set to give 'everyone' all privileges, reapplied the patch just in case and deleted the stuff in logs so that it remade it self when reopening the game. still reads 2048MB
Forum Resident
#21 Old 21st Nov 2019 at 5:50 AM
This one has me baffled. You are running a patched executable. Your path points to that patched executable. You are running a 64 bit OS and your computer has more than enough memory to use the extended address space. And I believe you did say that the time/date stamp on your config-log was from running the game after you applied the patch.

Other than some hardware differences, your log looks very much like mine. The other differences are you're running from disk on Win10 and I'm running the UC on Win7, although I did have it running successfully from disk on Win7 before UC came out and it showed 4096 then as well. So there must be something unique with your Win10 that is making the game not see it. I don't know the quirks of Win10 so I don't know why it isn't working for you.

HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Lab Assistant
#22 Old 21st Nov 2019 at 7:11 AM
i've seen that issue, i am a disk user and i did make it so 'Everyone' was granted all privileges. i also went into appdata and deleted the eagames folder, made sure that i had it set to give 'everyone' all privileges, reapplied the patch just in case and deleted the stuff in logs so that it remade it self when reopening the game. still reads 2048MB

Once you reapplied the patch, did that EA Games folder come back in the VirtualStore folder under %localappdata%?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 21st Nov 2019 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crazysim
Once you reapplied the patch, did that EA Games folder come back in the VirtualStore folder under %localappdata%?

no, now i don't see any appdata for sims 2.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 23rd Nov 2019 at 6:43 PM
This one has me baffled. You are running a patched executable. Your path points to that patched executable. You are running a 64 bit OS and your computer has more than enough memory to use the extended address space. And I believe you did say that the time/date stamp on your config-log was from running the game after you applied the patch.

Other than some hardware differences, your log looks very much like mine. The other differences are you're running from disk on Win10 and I'm running the UC on Win7, although I did have it running successfully from disk on Win7 before UC came out and it showed 4096 then as well. So there must be something unique with your Win10 that is making the game not see it. I don't know the quirks of Win10 so I don't know why it isn't working for you.

i hope someone can figure it out :/ i think its causing some crashes.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 30th Nov 2019 at 10:54 PM
Feel free to hit me up on the #sims-2-help channel in the PleasantSims Discord to walk though why the 4GB patch might not be applying. I might not answer right away but just mention me in there.

https://discord.gg/7ADzNnE
Page 1 of 2