Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

riv_rel

by rivforthesesh Posted 15th Sep 2020 at 6:33 PM - Updated 14th Apr 2021 at 11:02 PM by rivforthesesh : removed mod

23 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 16 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 6:52 AM
Hi !
First of all i love you idea, but i have two question or.. Request.. See, i'm not native english so.. My game is not too.
So, do you think you could make a file for translation ? :3
And.. Have you any probleme with the fact ic ould translate your mod pour personal use ?

Thank you !
And sorry for the question
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#3 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 9:41 PM
Thank you SO much for this!!! The only way this could be better is if sims could just ask another sim and their relation pops up a card telling the player/sim they are their nth cousin etc. instead of the cheat bar. Either way, this helps A LOT! I am building the entire linage/world of Harry Potter so it'd be lovely to have this as more added detail for play throughs. :D
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#4 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 1:26 AM
Once you've entered the Sim names for X & Y, will they stay on your gen tree? Or do I have to recall them to my tree every time I log on or zone thru?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xrose
Hi !
First of all i love you idea, but i have two question or.. Request.. See, i'm not native english so.. My game is not too.
So, do you think you could make a file for translation ? :3
And.. Have you any probleme with the fact ic ould translate your mod pour personal use ?

Thank you !
And sorry for the question

Hi! I'm glad you like it, and please don't apologise for the question!

I'm not sure how to make a file for translation, since I can't just use a string table (since there are so many possible relations, the code basically pieces words together, e.g. great-grandfather is made from "great" + "grand" + "father", instead of having each relation as a separate string), and I assume the command names would need to be different too? I'm looking into how to add a condition in the code to check for the game language, but it might end up needing to be an entirely separate file if I can't work that out.

If you like I could make a text file with the list of words/sentences I'd need, and then if you send that info I can edit the code for another language and post it here!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackPiano
Thank you SO much for this!!! The only way this could be better is if sims could just ask another sim and their relation pops up a card telling the player/sim they are their nth cousin etc. instead of the cheat bar. Either way, this helps A LOT! I am building the entire linage/world of Harry Potter so it'd be lovely to have this as more added detail for play throughs. :D

No problem, I'm happy you like it and find it useful! I definitely want to add that feature, but I need to figure out how first - I think it'll take some XML to add not only an interaction but a notification attached to it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simorph
Once you've entered the Sim names for X & Y, will they stay on your gen tree? Or do I have to recall them to my tree every time I log on or zone thru?

Hello! This mod only tells you which relationships already exist between sims x and y, and doesn't modify any information in the game, so you won't need to run the command again to make sure that your sims are still related (just when you want a reminder of how they're related - I mainly made this because I kept forgetting the relations between my sims lol)
Test Subject
#8 Old 18th Sep 2020 at 3:31 AM Last edited by xrose : 18th Sep 2020 at 7:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by rivforthesesh
Hi! I'm glad you like it, and please don't apologise for the question!

I'm not sure how to make a file for translation, since I can't just use a string table (since there are so many possible relations, the code basically pieces words together, e.g. great-grandfather is made from "great" + "grand" + "father", instead of having each relation as a separate string), and I assume the command names would need to be different too? I'm looking into how to add a condition in the code to check for the game language, but it might end up needing to be an entirely separate file if I can't work that out.

If you like I could make a text file with the list of words/sentences I'd need, and then if you send that info I can edit the code for another language and post it here!

Hi you !
It seems that risk to ask you a lot of work :o
So, dont do it, but if you want to do it one day.. Of course i could translate any phrase you want

In any case, thank you for answering me ;3
And for your mod !
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#9 Old 18th Sep 2020 at 2:53 PM
Awesomeeee! Congrats on your first Mod and thank you for sharing it to us.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 3:26 PM
Hi guys! I'm working on some more advanced features atm, and all of my early access stuff and smaller updates will be on itch.io (tho every free release will be posted here too, at least for now). I'll add links in the main post once gen 3 is ready bc I don't want to mark it as recently updated when the file hasn't changed yet.

https://rivforthesesh.itch.io/riv-r...pcoming-feature
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 6:40 AM
I <3 this mod!!! Is there any way you could fix the EA bug that makes spouses into siblings??? Seems like EA is taking their sweet time fixing that bug...

I run a Discord server dedicated to assisting Mac Simmers. Come join me here: https://discord.gg/6sjegZD

"It wasn't long ago that I was just like you." -- "Emenius Sleepus" by Michael Ryan Pritchard
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 2:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Athena Apollos
I <3 this mod!!! Is there any way you could fix the EA bug that makes spouses into siblings??? Seems like EA is taking their sweet time fixing that bug...

I'm glad you like it! We definitely needed more features for playing big families!

I haven't come across that bug before so I researched a bit - am I right in that the issue is triggered by cloning a sim who has a spouse, and then going into CAS? I can try to see what causes it, but I haven't done anything with adding/removing relationship bits yet (just checking whether two sims have a certain relbit between them) so I might not be able to fix it.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 2:29 PM
Thanx so much for this mod, I will be using it a LOT!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 28th Nov 2020 at 12:35 AM
Thank you for looking into this! I was unaware of what exactly caused this bug. But I use cloned Sims A LOT. That's how I created my main Sim's extended family, including his parents. The bug seems to affect his parents' generation the most.

I'm glad you like it! We definitely needed more features for playing big families!

I haven't come across that bug before so I researched a bit - am I right in that the issue is triggered by cloning a sim who has a spouse, and then going into CAS? I can try to see what causes it, but I haven't done anything with adding/removing relationship bits yet (just checking whether two sims have a certain relbit between them) so I might not be able to fix it.

I run a Discord server dedicated to assisting Mac Simmers. Come join me here: https://discord.gg/6sjegZD

"It wasn't long ago that I was just like you." -- "Emenius Sleepus" by Michael Ryan Pritchard
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 1st Dec 2020 at 6:08 PM
Great mod! I always lose motivation to do legacy challenges because of the lacklustre family tree system. Thanks for picking up EA's slack!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Dec 2020 at 3:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Athena Apollos
Thank you for looking into this! I was unaware of what exactly caused this bug. But I use cloned Sims A LOT. That's how I created my main Sim's extended family, including his parents. The bug seems to affect his parents' generation the most.

Ahhh I forgot to get back to you on this! I looked into the files for the clone relationship bit, the clone situation job, and the cloning spell in RoM (can't access the cloning machine XML since I still don't have GTW) and I couldn't find the cause. It might be fixable in a roundabout way by finding where the code adding the clone relbit also adds the sibling relbit, and then just preventing the latter relbit from being added, since it probably propagates from there? I haven't been able to find that part of it though, and my modding time needs to be more focused on getting .json file updates to be automatic

(also IamLorde and Plopper, tysm for the thanks! I don't look at MTS as often as itch.io so I've missed a few comments)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#17 Old 12th Dec 2020 at 2:03 AM
This is a great mod! Is it compatible with the December 7th update?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 15th Dec 2020 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimModdingForever
This is a great mod! Is it compatible with the December 7th update?

Thank you! I don't believe I've used anything patch-specific yet and it works in my own game, so yes I'd say it's compatible!

I'm planning to update soon to add a new feature (automatically updating .json files), but it's worth noting that I've been saying that for about three weeks now since I'm still stuck on automatically adding parents when a sim is born...
Test Subject
#19 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 10:14 PM Last edited by matteshine : 24th Dec 2020 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Added possible helpful info
First of all, I love this mod and thank you so much for sharing it with us! However I'm here to report that with the new update I have gotten an LE upon loading up my household... I tried to upload the BE or MCCC LE, but it won't let me. Tells me it's an 'invalid file type'...

EDIT: So info that might help, I only get the LE when I load up a household that has more than one sim. Not sure how helpful that might be but thought I should mention it.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  lastException.txt (3.5 KB, 6 downloads)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 25th Dec 2020 at 3:25 PM Last edited by rivforthesesh : 25th Dec 2020 at 3:43 PM. Reason: added extra info for fixing LE
Quote: Originally posted by matteshine
First of all, I love this mod and thank you so much for sharing it with us! However I'm here to report that with the new update I have gotten an LE upon loading up my household... I tried to upload the BE or MCCC LE, but it won't let me. Tells me it's an 'invalid file type'...

EDIT: So info that might help, I only get the LE when I load up a household that has more than one sim. Not sure how helpful that might be but thought I should mention it.

Thank you for this report - I didn't catch this error! I'm a little busy today with Christmas stuff so I'll fix it in a day or two, but in the meantime, creating an empty text file called "riv_rel_autojson.cfg" and putting it in the same folder should fix it (edit: I tried to attach one to make it easier but it's also an invalid file type.. I'll put it in the main .zip, so you can either redownload or make an empty file yourself by making a new .txt file and changing the extension to .cfg, ignore the "are you sure you want to change the extension" error)!
Test Subject
#21 Old 26th Dec 2020 at 4:02 AM Last edited by matteshine : 26th Dec 2020 at 4:03 AM. Reason: MTS changed my heart into ??? which sounded super rude, lol
Thank you for this report - I didn't catch this error! I'm a little busy today with Christmas stuff so I'll fix it in a day or two, but in the meantime, creating an empty text file called "riv_rel_autojson.cfg" and putting it in the same folder should fix it (edit: I tried to attach one to make it easier but it's also an invalid file type.. I'll put it in the main .zip, so you can either redownload or make an empty file yourself by making a new .txt file and changing the extension to .cfg, ignore the "are you sure you want to change the extension" error)!

Ah! Thank you!! And take your time, I know the holidays are a busy season for everyone! I really do appreciate the work you've put into making this mod. <3
Field Researcher
#22 Old 26th Jan 2021 at 4:01 PM
Can you make a mod to ask about another relatives? And the other Sim answer with the names and relationship.
E.g: Bella Goth - Grandmother, Cassandra Goth - Mother, William Vatore - Brother, Alexandre Goth - Uncle...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lannister Moon
Can you make a mod to ask about another relatives? And the other Sim answer with the names and relationship.
E.g: Bella Goth - Grandmother, Cassandra Goth - Mother, William Vatore - Brother, Alexandre Goth - Uncle...

You can already do this with the riv_rel_all command! Printing many relations to the console works out fine, but it wouldn't really work as a social interaction since the relations would need to be shown in notifications, so it's one very long notif or potentially a couple hundred notifs.

Like for an extreme case I've had the following commented on my itch.io for just one relation:

One of the things on my ideas list is an interaction where your sim can ask another sim about their relation to a third sim (I'd need to figure out sim pickers first), but an interaction listing all relatives would cause issues for the complicated cases that inspired this mod in the first place
Field Researcher
#24 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 3:06 PM
You can already do this with the riv_rel_all command! Printing many relations to the console works out fine, but it wouldn't really work as a social interaction since the relations would need to be shown in notifications, so it's one very long notif or potentially a couple hundred notifs.

Like for an extreme case I've had the following commented on my itch.io for just one relation:

One of the things on my ideas list is an interaction where your sim can ask another sim about their relation to a third sim (I'd need to figure out sim pickers first), but an interaction listing all relatives would cause issues for the complicated cases that inspired this mod in the first place

Thank you very much!