Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 6:03 PM
Could be a mod loading order issue.
Some mods need to load in a spesific order, and will cause problems (crashing and/or errors/jumpbugs) if the order gets switched around. When you're trying out some files here and some files there, the loading order also gets swapped around, so it could explain why your game sometimes crashes and sometimes not while you're testing.

You're most likely looking for some kind of mod/hack, so leave out CAS items and basic buy content (chairs, tables, recolors, hood deco, and similar things - anything you're reasonably sure isn't modded and doesn't have any extra functions).

You'll want to have all your hacks/mods that modify game behavior in a separate folder, or at least somewhere it's easy to test them separately from the rest of your other CC.

There's a handy flowchart for the 50/50 method at the bottom here: https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti..._Custom_Content
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Could be a mod loading order issue.
Some mods need to load in a spesific order, and will cause problems (crashing and/or errors/jumpbugs) if the order gets switched around. When you're trying out some files here and some files there, the loading order also gets swapped around, so it could explain why your game sometimes crashes and sometimes not while you're testing.

You're most likely looking for some kind of mod/hack, so leave out CAS items and basic buy content (chairs, tables, recolors, hood deco, and similar things - anything you're reasonably sure isn't modded and doesn't have any extra functions).

You'll want to have all your hacks/mods that modify game behavior in a separate folder, or at least somewhere it's easy to test them separately from the rest of your other CC.

There's a handy flowchart for the 50/50 method at the bottom here: https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti..._Custom_Content

I'll try that. My method was removing everything and the slowly putting stuff back in and testing the game. Most of my mods are in a defaults folder so that I can keep track of it better. But if in my youth I downloaded something containing a mod It's getting increasingly hard to tell where tht might be. I'll follow ur link b4 giving up.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 2:36 AM
If you have some of the files in a system already, the mods shouldn't be too difficult to sort out. Most tend to have names suggesting what they're for, they rarely come with recolors (there's a few exceptions, usually these are object mods), the files tend to be smaller than 20 kb (most mods are below 5 kb), and most tend to not have meshes or textures, but this may vary (if they do it's often a default replacement or an object mod - these tend to be larger in filesize).

It's not a "one size fits all" method to finding mods among your other CC, but it's a start. If you know how to use SimPE it's a lot easier, because you can check individual files to see if they're recolors or meshes, or if they look like a mod. Other files can also fit some of the description above without being mods.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#29 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 3:47 AM
If you have some of the files in a system already, the mods shouldn't be too difficult to sort out. Most tend to have names suggesting what they're for, they rarely come with recolors (there's a few exceptions, usually these are object mods), the files tend to be smaller than 20 kb (most mods are below 5 kb), and most tend to not have meshes or textures, but this may vary (if they do it's often a default replacement or an object mod - these tend to be larger in filesize).

It's not a "one size fits all" method to finding mods among your other CC, but it's a start. If you know how to use SimPE it's a lot easier, because you can check individual files to see if they're recolors or meshes, or if they look like a mod. Other files can also fit some of the description above without being mods.

Okay. Phew While Still going through the 50/50 I saw these in DDO and can NOT remember what they are aside from custom memories?? maybe? I'm Positive I downloaded them here a million eons ago, but can't find them period. I was gonna just remove them, but I wanted to be positive that it was safe to do so. I also noticed some hacked mods or objects don't get picked up by DDO as mods. I've also gone thru my whole downloads folder and tried my best to find all the Hairs/Skins/Makeup ect and separate them into Files with those names. That way they are all in one place. The rest are too hard to decern given their odd names lol. I figured I would try to figure out these 3 and if they were safe to remove b4 moving on. They appear to be vampire related memories for being bitten, cured, and biting someone else. This list is all that DDO considers as mods/hacks. The S2CI shows me some objects in red to that aren't hacked but were from the S2 store way back. I deleted all duplicates as well.
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#30 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 12:30 PM
The ones circled in red are these:
https://modthesims.info/d/260927
looks like they are just a text override.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#31 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 5:33 PM Last edited by melodycc_2004 : 25th Jul 2021 at 3:54 PM.

Here is what Sims2HCDU shows. From what I understand it sometimes show conflicts that aren't actually conflicts. But someone said that it shows the order that your Mods load in-game, I've numbered it from left to right to show what order they came in. The Spooky light object is the one from the spooky sims 2 store package. I've been considering removing since I do not use those lights. I shouldn't effect my game if I remove them right? I know they are only lights but both S2CI and HCDU consider them to be mods. The DDO does not see them that way.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 6:39 PM
Ok so weird. I kept having a issue of a rusty trashcan showing up almost like a default replacement but I know it wasn't a default as I had search with DDO and just general searches through my downloads. Well I decided to upload an empty lot which was surprisingly not empty. It had like 20 mailbox recolors and 10 or so Trashcan recolors. I started deleting the recolors after finding them in DDO in hopes to remove the one cause the issue. It appears to have worked, I left 2 recolors there. When I looked in game there are still like 5 but they don't show up under the search in DDO only the 2 I left do. HOWEVER, the more important thing is, I just started my game to start trying to test my crashing issue WITH all the downloads still in and..... IT DIDN'T CRASH????? I haven't removed any mods yet? Both families the hood that was crashing didn't crash. I'm not sure if I fixed it or if I was just lucky but both families made it way past the time it was usually crashing. Surely that trashcan couldn't have been cause that right? I'm gonna do more tests as when I was recording with Fraps Yesterday It had crashed at that specific time which had me thinking it was Fraps causing the issue, but I film other hoods with it so Idk. But Today, nothing. I'm gonna do a few more tests but I'm lost. If id does crash again then at least I know the issue is still there.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by melodycc_2004
It had like 20 mailbox recolors and 10 or so Trashcan recolors.

If you've downloaded lots that comes with a lot of randomly named CC, this is a common occurance.
If the files have random names, I think this happens when people install lots with the default installer (as opposed to the Clean Installer). The default installer renames files to random strings of letters and numbers, and some people who upload lots don't remove these from the files, so the files (especially mailbox and trashcan recolors, because these tend to hitch a ride if you have buyable versions of the mailbox or trashcan) get packaged with the lot. If you don't know, you'll just think it's regular CC and install it with the rest. Soon you'll have hundreds of them... Sometimes they can even cause problems.

No idea why they'd cause a time-spesific problem, though. But keep testing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#34 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 5:22 AM
If you've downloaded lots that comes with a lot of randomly named CC, this is a common occurance.
If the files have random names, I think this happens when people install lots with the default installer (as opposed to the Clean Installer). The default installer renames files to random strings of letters and numbers, and some people who upload lots don't remove these from the files, so the files (especially mailbox and trashcan recolors, because these tend to hitch a ride if you have buyable versions of the mailbox or trashcan) get packaged with the lot. If you don't know, you'll just think it's regular CC and install it with the rest. Soon you'll have hundreds of them... Sometimes they can even cause problems.

No idea why they'd cause a time-spesific problem, though. But keep testing.

I got rid of so many lol. It's SO weird, my lots are loading waaay fast! Usually after I boot the game and click a family it takes a good bit to bring up their menu to join the household or not, but now it seems like their loading faster? I haven't had a crash today but that's not to say I won't tomorrow. I'll test it again after work and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't I have 0 idea on how I fixed it. I did put a lot of files into actual folders so maybe they are reading differently or something.

(Oh I do have an unrelated question. I use PineTumblr's Mod here https://pineapple5050.tumblr.com/po...osteffect-v0001 . I would love to get either gunmods lighting 2.4 or dreadpirates 2.5 version here https://dreadpirate.tumblr.com/post...tem-25-now-with but they both seem to include moi's water mod and criquette better nightlife and skyfix2.0, but Pine already uses those. Is there a way I can safely get just the lighting mod and not the others that would conflict?)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#35 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 11:34 PM
Still no crashes yet but I get flashing blue objects? It was ohbehaves master misamata it just started flashing then when I replaced it with the same object frm build a different one started flashing. I know I didn't delete any plants
Mad Poster
#36 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 12:15 AM
Wrong master objects, maybe? Or perhaps you have two different copies of the files, and the game is reading the oldest ones (if one set has been fixed or master/repo'd and the other hasn't).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#37 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 3:09 AM Last edited by melodycc_2004 : 27th Jul 2021 at 1:45 PM.
Wrong master objects, maybe? Or perhaps you have two different copies of the files, and the game is reading the oldest ones (if one set has been fixed or master/repo'd and the other hasn't).

Hmm No idea I'll look it up in DDO Do you know anything abt the lighting mod questions I posted above? **edit** DDO shows tons of orphan files but everyone shows up in game properly. It's weird. I the flashing doesn't seem to show up a lot or on every lot in-game so for now I can look past it I guess.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#38 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 1:30 PM
So I've not have anymore crashes yet. Which is still strange to me. I'm still wary of certain lots which could cause crashing or flashing blue or pink sims/objects. I'm going to try sending sims to community lots now as community lots seem to crash on me a lot more or at the very least glitch out. I also recently downloaded some child clothing here:https://gardenofshadows.org.uk/gard...?topic=29612.15 it is the sets by Lemonlion and some of them aren,t showing up in game but the files frm the download link have meshes in them. The poster only give the link to 1 mesh that isn't included and doesn't mention needing another. Is it me? Why won't they show up?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#39 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 6:22 PM Last edited by melodycc_2004 : 31st Jul 2021 at 2:19 AM. Reason: new information

Okies so I just played a few hours to try and see what happens. For the most part I could visit community lots and no glitches or crashing and the game has been running smoother than ever. So many people show up to community lots and they were all greeting each other and niceness. Then I was in downtown editing an apartment complex getting rid of 2 apartments and making a lil park. (it was in residential mode while I was editing.) Then after I had made a tiny pool I was gonna place a pool slide but the slide was a weird dark purple. So I said forget it and decided to place some pool lights and they started flashing purple and then the lot started flashing purple. I exited the lot and when I came back it was normal again. I removed the pool entirely. (I know it isn't the pool but I had changed my mind) Then when I had finished the lot and made it an apartment again, I moved a sim in and attached it a pic of the soup. Then after another family had moved in, it crashed. So 1 crash and STILL purple flashing!!! (Also could someone tell me what these errors are in the cheatbox?)

Continuing My Folder sorting. DDO no longer says there are orphans so good for me? I was wondering if anyone knew what these 2 checked items were. I'm worried abt deleting something important.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#40 Old 2nd Aug 2021 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
The ones circled in red are these:
https://modthesims.info/d/260927
looks like they are just a text override.

Thank you! I removed it anyways just to clear up my downloads a bit. Now I'm working on my latest issues. The game itself is running much smoother if I can just fix the purple issue and crash I should be fine.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#41 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 12:51 AM
@melodycc_2004 The audio errors in your previous post are legacy errors- they are present in everyone's games and nothing to worry about. At any rate, we can't do anything about them! Most people don't notice them as they don't expand the cheat window.

For the pink, this indicates that your texture memory has reached its limit. For my elderly sims computer, I can play for hours but if I go to a large lot in snow, or build for a while on a lot when snow is present, I tend to have the pink show up from time to time. A reload of the game fixes it. This seems to be the kind of problem you are having, where extended play can cause the glitch. Things you can do to help this are as follows:
-Run the game with fewer background tasks running. Close down unnecessary programs; remember that having a browser running whilst the game is will mean that a significant proportion of the computer's resources will be used in displaying web pages (especially for graphic intensive sites like youtube, reddit, instagram etc).
-Try removing any high res terrain texture replacements. Such as, terrain replacements, snow texture replacements, tree neighbourhood LOD replacements. These are rendered by the game all of the time when you play so can suck up your texture memory. I had a high res snow replacement that looked beautiful but caused pink flashing after a few seconds of play on my computer.
-Try turning the lot view distance down, so that you are viewing less of the neighbourhood as you play in-lot. It's easy to turn back up when you want to take images, but can significantly improve rencering speed.
-High poly hairs can really cause issues, they may not even look particularly high-poly! I have some old hairstyles that I really love, but if my sim is in the camera view when the game is on high speed, the clock runs slowly. If I point the camera at the floor or another sim, it runs fast again. So if you have problems in a particular family, try changing to a Maxis haor temporarily to see if that helps. If you know how to, you could check the poly count in SimPE.
-Post processing mods like Pineapple's can cause issues for everyday play. I know that when I run with it in-game, I have a slower framerate. So try playing without it for a while to see if that helps. I just put it in my game from time to time specifically to take pictures.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#42 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@melodycc_2004 The audio errors in your previous post are legacy errors- they are present in everyone's games and nothing to worry about. At any rate, we can't do anything about them! Most people don't notice them as they don't expand the cheat window.

For the pink, this indicates that your texture memory has reached its limit. For my elderly sims computer, I can play for hours but if I go to a large lot in snow, or build for a while on a lot when snow is present, I tend to have the pink show up from time to time. A reload of the game fixes it. This seems to be the kind of problem you are having, where extended play can cause the glitch. Things you can do to help this are as follows:
-Run the game with fewer background tasks running. Close down unnecessary programs; remember that having a browser running whilst the game is will mean that a significant proportion of the computer's resources will be used in displaying web pages (especially for graphic intensive sites like youtube, reddit, instagram etc).
-Try removing any high res terrain texture replacements. Such as, terrain replacements, snow texture replacements, tree neighbourhood LOD replacements. These are rendered by the game all of the time when you play so can suck up your texture memory. I had a high res snow replacement that looked beautiful but caused pink flashing after a few seconds of play on my computer.
-Try turning the lot view distance down, so that you are viewing less of the neighbourhood as you play in-lot. It's easy to turn back up when you want to take images, but can significantly improve rencering speed.
-High poly hairs can really cause issues, they may not even look particularly high-poly! I have some old hairstyles that I really love, but if my sim is in the camera view when the game is on high speed, the clock runs slowly. If I point the camera at the floor or another sim, it runs fast again. So if you have problems in a particular family, try changing to a Maxis haor temporarily to see if that helps. If you know how to, you could check the poly count in SimPE.
-Post processing mods like Pineapple's can cause issues for everyday play. I know that when I run with it in-game, I have a slower framerate. So try playing without it for a while to see if that helps. I just put it in my game from time to time specifically to take pictures.

Thank you so much! This is super helpful! I have been planning on getting a strong graphics card just to increase my computers capability. I use a Nvidia GTX 1030 right now. ALSO I completely forgot I usually have a browser open when I'm testing the game. And even worse it's Chrome so for some reason it shows like 5 or more tasks and uses a ton of performance from my computer. I'll have to test again without it open and see if the gameplay lasts longer. Thank you again so much for your advice/tips.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#43 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 3:59 AM
These are my latest 2 crash logs. Not sure if they are helpful in anyway. The crash just today was after I rented a furnished apt. There were no pink objects or texture issues. I swear my game seems so normal in hoods that I feel should break it and so broken in hoods that It should have 0 issues with. I must say, I only have like 4 families in this hood as well.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2021.07.29 13.13.51.txt (14.6 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2021.08.03 22.50.04.txt (16.3 KB, 2 downloads)
Mad Poster
#44 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 4:19 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Aug 2021 at 11:08 AM.
There seems to still be something going on with the memory handling in your game, because the "System memory" line in the crash report says "System memory: 1024 Megabytes total, 1024 Megabytes free." so it looks like the 4 GB patch isn't running, and it doesn't look like the game reads 2 GB either.

If you had the 4 GB patch properly enabled it should've said "System memory: 4096 Megabytes total, 4096 Megabytes free." (does so in my crash reports, anyway...)

Have you by any chance put any compatibility modes on the shortcut? These can turn the 4GB patch off.

And are you using a Nvidia GTX 1030 or 1060, because the first posts show you've set it up for the 1060, but in one of your latest posts you said 1030 - if you're using a different card now, you'll have to make sure to set it up for that one, because it's not certain the game will recognize the 1030 card based off of the 1060 info. If you've been using a 1030 all along, you'll need to edit that info in the VideoCards and GraphicRules files, because by the looks of it that info seems a bit off (if you are using a 1060, it's fine, though).

The pink-flashing does look very "pink-soup-y" so maybe check the GraphicsRules files again, and see if there's anything going on in there.
--> Could depend on version of the game (You do have FWP, so you either have the UC or CD collections - the CD collections may come with the Store version, which you can opt not to install, but when installed it can act as an EP that goes above M&G, so whatever you do to the M&G files may be overruled by the Store version. I don't think this is an issue with the UC version, but that depends on which UC version you have. The updated one from Origin doesn't seem to have the Store version, but any of the variants that exists apart from that one might have it, for all I know).

Internet browsers, especially with a lot of windows open, tend to draw a lot of memory, so you'll want to close that down. Close down any background tasks that aren't necessary to play the game - at least until you've figured out the crashes.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#45 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 6:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by melodycc_2004
These are my latest 2 crash logs. Not sure if they are helpful in anyway. The crash just today was after I rented a furnished apt. There were no pink objects or texture issues. I swear my game seems so normal in hoods that I feel should break it and so broken in hoods that It should have 0 issues with. I must say, I only have like 4 families in this hood as well.

You want to check your config-log in your log folder to see if the 4 gb patch is still working. If you had a crash or an update it can come off.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#46 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 3:01 PM Last edited by melodycc_2004 : 4th Aug 2021 at 3:57 PM.
There seems to still be something going on with the memory handling in your game, because the "System memory" line in the crash report says "System memory: 1024 Megabytes total, 1024 Megabytes free." so it looks like the 4 GB patch isn't running, and it doesn't look like the game reads 2 GB either.

If you had the 4 GB patch properly enabled it should've said "System memory: 4096 Megabytes total, 4096 Megabytes free." (does so in my crash reports, anyway...)

Have you by any chance put any compatibility modes on the shortcut? These can turn the 4GB patch off.

And are you using a Nvidia GTX 1030 or 1060, because the first posts show you've set it up for the 1060, but in one of your latest posts you said 1030 - if you're using a different card now, you'll have to make sure to set it up for that one, because it's not certain the game will recognize the 1030 card based off of the 1060 info. If you've been using a 1030 all along, you'll need to edit that info in the VideoCards and GraphicRules files, because by the looks of it that info seems a bit off (if you are using a 1060, it's fine, though).

The pink-flashing does look very "pink-soup-y" so maybe check the GraphicsRules files again, and see if there's anything going on in there.
--> Could depend on version of the game (You do have FWP, so you either have the UC or CD collections - the CD collections may come with the Store version, which you can opt not to install, but when installed it can act as an EP that goes above M&G, so whatever you do to the M&G files may be overruled by the Store version. I don't think this is an issue with the UC version, but that depends on which UC version you have. The updated one from Origin doesn't seem to have the Store version, but any of the variants that exists apart from that one might have it, for all I know).

Internet browsers, especially with a lot of windows open, tend to draw a lot of memory, so you'll want to close that down. Close down any background tasks that aren't necessary to play the game - at least until you've figured out the crashes.

It is the 1060 sorry Idk why I thought otherwise. I use the Discs version because my UC mysteriously disappeared from my origin library and Origin/EA said they couldn't fix it. I didn't notice the 4gb patch had stopped working I'll fix that asap. I don't remember changing my compatibility but I suppose it's possible. EDIT- I applied the patch and it didn't take. It said successfully applied but the memory didn't change like last time. still says 1024
Mad Poster
#47 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 4:18 PM
The patch probably somehow stopped working.

For the patch, try copying the EXE file to the desktop, applying the patch there, and move/replace back to the original location. that usually works. (It's probably Windows being a pain with files in the Programfiles location).

For the Store issue, just to get it out of the way, check if you have anything called "EP99" in the ProgramFiles location. I'm not entirely sure which folder it's supposed to be in, but it's probably in one (or more?) of the collections (Fun with Pets, Best of Business, or University Life).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#48 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 5:11 PM
The patch probably somehow stopped working.

For the patch, try copying the EXE file to the desktop, applying the patch there, and move/replace back to the original location. that usually works. (It's probably Windows being a pain with files in the Programfiles location).

For the Store issue, just to get it out of the way, check if you have anything called "EP99" in the ProgramFiles location. I'm not entirely sure which folder it's supposed to be in, but it's probably in one (or more?) of the collections (Fun with Pets, Best of Business, or University Life).

Okies no EP99 or Store edition installed. I 1st saw a trick of putting Sims2exe in csbin and tried that. Didn't Work, then I put it on the desktop like you suggested nothing. Tried it once more in Tsbin and still no dice. The 4gb patch just stopped working for some reason and won't start back up. It always says successfully applied, but no change to my config log.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#49 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 9:35 PM
4gb is working again Idk what I did tho. I went to the movies and checked when I came back and it works. strange. My only idea is that I removed the compatibility setting from my exe. It worked just fine b4. If that was my issue then I'm thinking it may be fixed now. I was thinking I messed up because I updated my gpu drivers
Mad Poster
#50 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 10:16 PM
Compatibility settings turns off the 4GB settings (the two don't work together), so removing them would turn 4GB back on again. I think the only thing that works with the 4GB is admin mode (but I don't know whether that one is necessary in any particular cases cases - I haven't needed it).
Page 2 of 3