Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Lifetime Aspirations v.05

by ky-e Posted 27th Oct 2020 at 12:15 PM - Updated 27th Jun 2022 at 2:09 AM by HugeLunatic : removed advertising

229 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 162 Feedback Posts, 66 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 10
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#2 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 3:13 PM
So much better! And thanks for that category change for Jungle Explorer, it fits a lot more :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 3:18 PM
Thank you so much for this, is there any way you can do a version that doesn't hide the Star Wars Aspirations? I want to use this mod, but I don't want to hide that Aspiration, everything else sounds absolutely perfect. Thank you again.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#4 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 3:38 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for this mod. Sims 4 aspirations were very bad, especially the newer ones. With this mod I can finally enjoy the game. THANK YOU .
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#5 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 4:51 PM
This is amazing!! Thank you for your hard work!!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#6 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 6:33 PM
I think this aspiration from SV shoud not change - aspiration is kind of story here, and solution
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#7 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 7:17 PM
Thank you so much for this mod! Totally agree with you regarding how aspirations work in Sims 4. So frustrating!
Test Subject
#8 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 8:19 PM
I can already tell I'll love this.

One thing I'd love is having skill related aspirations that don't tie to careers - I do a lot of challenge gameplay, and several have rules that involve not making money from a career path. I play a LOT of fishing and collecting sims, for instance, because I can't complete the comedian, programming, or cooking aspirations without joining the matching career.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 10:20 PM
Yes! Everything you said about aspirations is 100% true! This mod is absolutely excellent! Something so simple, yet so profound! Thank you so much for working on this! Hope you continue to develop it!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 11:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by juli2solo
Thank you so much for this, is there any way you can do a version that doesn't hide the Star Wars Aspirations? I want to use this mod, but I don't want to hide that Aspiration, everything else sounds absolutely perfect. Thank you again.

I haven't touched the Star Wars ones just yet, so you should be fine to use the current version! But it should be as simple as not installing the Journey to Batuu package once I do get to them!

Quote: Originally posted by Diffevair
I think this aspiration from SV shoud not change - aspiration is kind of story here, and solution

I've gone back and forth on it myself. I need to test it properly so I might change it back, but I just didn't really like how much the Aspiration holds your hand. I think there's enough information in the gameplay itself to lead the player down the storyline, even if it takes a bit longer (which is what I want anyway). But if you disagree, just don't install the StrangerVille package and it won't be changed at all!

Quote: Originally posted by Mikkiness
I can already tell I'll love this.

One thing I'd love is having skill related aspirations that don't tie to careers - I do a lot of challenge gameplay, and several have rules that involve not making money from a career path. I play a LOT of fishing and collecting sims, for instance, because I can't complete the comedian, programming, or cooking aspirations without joining the matching career.

I think that's a good idea! I have a ones planned for Baking and Flower Arranging, but I might have to go and look at all the skills specifically to see which ones can be used for Aspirations. Gourmet Cooking might be a good candidate.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#11 Old 28th Oct 2020 at 5:06 AM
Recipe collector could be good too. I tried this in my game and got a "game failed to load" message. I play with a lot of mods, so it could well be a conflict, and I'm not even 100% it was this mod that caused it (I was pulling out things I'd recently added in small batches). I will test more when I get a chance, but I just thought you might want to have it on your radar that it may conflict with custom aspirations or something.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 28th Oct 2020 at 11:56 AM
This is awesome! Can't wait to play with this.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#13 Old 28th Oct 2020 at 10:26 PM
Love this idea and really keen on your new aspirations, would you consider making a separate tiny mod just re categorising the aspirations and have your new ones and an optional extra to that?
Test Subject
#14 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 10:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sweetgirl612
Recipe collector could be good too. I tried this in my game and got a "game failed to load" message. I play with a lot of mods, so it could well be a conflict, and I'm not even 100% it was this mod that caused it (I was pulling out things I'd recently added in small batches). I will test more when I get a chance, but I just thought you might want to have it on your radar that it may conflict with custom aspirations or something.

I also got a game failed to load message upon loading a previous saved game and entering a household (error code 140:ea9d6856:6a967f42)
BUT I then made a fresh game (new game button in main menu) and it no longer gave the error message
I think the error is simply the game freaking out a bit about loading a sim whos aspiration was changed by the mod, and can be fairly safely ignored. Of course I'd make replicas of my favorite savegames before saving with new mods anyway. I also play with a couple different mods, but after just ignoring the error message everything seemed to work as intended.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 11:14 AM
Thank you so much for this mod. I'd been wanting to make something similiar, but never took the time to fully delve into the process, so thank you for your hard work.
This is pretty much the one thing I liked so much better about the previous the sims titles; life aspirations were for life (or unlife) and had a simple goal often with many ways to reach it. The whole "do this action 5 times" bit of the aspirations in sims 4 always annoyed me so much that I would just make 90% of my sims either never intending to even try finishing their aspirations or just giving them the same 3 aspirations that were easy to complete.
Like many of the other commenters I would also be grateful for aspirations sentered around skill sets, rather than careers (I like to play in a historical and/or fantasy styled kind of way).
Thanks again, excellent work, big fan, 10/10 would download again.
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
#16 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 5:15 PM
There are two Aspirations I did not like much because both only have 1 Aspiration to complete: Athletic and Animal. Athletic has potential for several more aspirations to be added to give us reasons to assign Athletic to our Sims. Animal is useless in my opinion because I don't play with animals in my Sim families in Sims 4. Well, not yet to that point where I want them for my families.

EA missed an opportunity to create a few more aspirations for the Athletic category. I would like to see something worthwhile to give my Sims goals to complete:

Bowling:
I have seen some people dedicate their lives to bowling as professional bowlers. We have bowling in game.

Fitness:
Jogging maybe? Something that has to do with the physical activities OTHER than hitting the gym or the weight machines.

Rock Climbing.. Yoga..

You get the idea. A lot of opportunities for Athletic to be expanded.

Animal is the one aspiration I never assign to my Sims. There could be opportunities there to be expanded on like maybe adding a Veterinarian aspiration to that category? Pet training is a thing in Sims 4? If so, then maybe a Pet Trainer aspiration could be added to the same category.

I really like what you have done with the Aspiration system. Very nice work on this project! I will download this after the new pack is released on November 13th to see if they have any new aspirations.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 7:14 PM
Just installed it and got a "game failed to load" error plus this:

Quote:
Possible Cause
(Confidence: 10%)
\MTS_ky-e_1965377_kyBetterAspirations\kyBetterAspirationsMERGED.package
Reason Exception raised while processing zone spin up sequence: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'state' (AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'state')
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 30th Oct 2020 at 1:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chaavik
There are two Aspirations I did not like much because both only have 1 Aspiration to complete: Athletic and Animal. Athletic has potential for several more aspirations to be added to give us reasons to assign Athletic to our Sims. Animal is useless in my opinion because I don't play with animals in my Sim families in Sims 4. Well, not yet to that point where I want them for my families.

EA missed an opportunity to create a few more aspirations for the Athletic category. I would like to see something worthwhile to give my Sims goals to complete:

Bowling:
I have seen some people dedicate their lives to bowling as professional bowlers. We have bowling in game.

Fitness:
Jogging maybe? Something that has to do with the physical activities OTHER than hitting the gym or the weight machines.

Rock Climbing.. Yoga..

Animal is the one aspiration I never assign to my Sims. There could be opportunities there to be expanded on like maybe adding a Veterinarian aspiration to that category? Pet training is a thing in Sims 4? If so, then maybe a Pet Trainer aspiration could be added to the same category.

I really like what you have done with the Aspiration system. Very nice work on this project! I will download this after the new pack is released on November 13th to see if they have any new aspirations.

THIS! A thousand times THIS! Being athletic, to me anyway, isn't just about lifting weights and seeing how bulked up you can get. Endurance is important for an athlete as well, so maybe something that could be incorporated into the jogging suggestion you mentioned is running marathons, triathlons, that kind of stuff :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 30th Oct 2020 at 4:48 AM
Thanks for the error reports everyone! I'll get to work on replicating any issues and figuring out what's causing them! Also a few have asked so I am planning to translate this to all other languages as I find translators, and my new Aspirations will optionally be included in separate package files for those who don't want them.

Quote: Originally posted by Chaavik

Bowling:

Fitness:

Rock Climbing.. Yoga..

Those are definitely two categories I want to expand. Thus far I have one focusing on the Professional Athlete career track, and one which requires owning a 5-Star vet clinic.

I love the idea of the marathon-inspired Aspiration suggestion that I saw! I've found a lot of skills in Sims 4 are pretty easy to achieve top level and don't come with too many difficult accomplishments, so I have struggled a bit to come up with Aspiration-level accomplishments for them. But I agree that there is a lot of room with various Athletic skills, here's a few ideas:

Bowling: Bowl a Perfect Llama (10 strikes in a row)
Jogging: Run ____ miles/kilometers
Wellness: Not really much to work with here, maybe do yoga or meditate so many times? I'm trying to avoid "do a task X number of times" Aspirations, but not sure what else to do here.

I'm sure Snowy Escape will offer some interesting Rock Climbing stuff to work with.

I am struggling to come up with new Animal Aspirations though, so any suggestions people have would be great!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 30th Oct 2020 at 5:20 PM
I like the idea of this mod, but some of the modified aspirations seem to be broken. For example, Serial Romantic completes instantly without reaching the goal.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 31st Oct 2020 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by letitgo1776
I like the idea of this mod, but some of the modified aspirations seem to be broken. For example, Serial Romantic completes instantly without reaching the goal.

That one's odd, the only thing I did with Serial Romantic was increase the # of relationships required (and I specifically tested that one and it worked fine for me). It could be related to the trouble people have been having with pre-existing save games, I'm working on figuring out exactly how that works and how to fix it (if it can be fixed).
Test Subject
#22 Old 31st Oct 2020 at 2:10 PM
Very interesting, but I would have liked to have a choice to keep the other ones too, like a version with no overrides. So some saves could be harder others not.
Test Subject
#23 Old 31st Oct 2020 at 10:37 PM
I was having errors when entering into households from saves made before installing this mod. So I tried making a new random sim in a fresh save and moving them in, no errors. So I chose a random sim from the gallery, made by someone else, moved them in and played on that house, no errors.
Then I went over to my original save and saved one of my played households (who were having the errors) and saved them to my gallery. I then moved them into a house in the fresh save, errors happened.
Then I exited the game, moved my mods (not the custom clothes and furniture etc, but everything else) to a different folder. I then entered my original save, entered two households (no errors), exited and saved.
Then put the mods (including this one) back into my mod folder and launched the game, loaded the original save and entered a household I had visited without mods. No errors! Just to be sure I then visited a family I had not visited without mods, and errors were back.
So try visiting your played families without mods and saving before installing this mod, might help you too.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#24 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 1:31 AM
This sounds soooo cool! Technically, this is an override...right?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 5:16 AM Last edited by ky-e : 1st Nov 2020 at 5:32 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by mollyvilde
I was having errors when entering into households from saves made before installing this mod. So I tried making a new random sim in a fresh save and moving them in, no errors. So I chose a random sim from the gallery, made by someone else, moved them in and played on that house, no errors.
Then I went over to my original save and saved one of my played households (who were having the errors) and saved them to my gallery. I then moved them into a house in the fresh save, errors happened.
Then I exited the game, moved my mods (not the custom clothes and furniture etc, but everything else) to a different folder. I then entered my original save, entered two households (no errors), exited and saved.
Then put the mods (including this one) back into my mod folder and launched the game, loaded the original save and entered a household I had visited without mods. No errors! Just to be sure I then visited a family I had not visited without mods, and errors were back.
So try visiting your played families without mods and saving before installing this mod, might help you too.

Thank you for the detailed account, this will help a lot!

Quote: Originally posted by Nightingale21
This sounds soooo cool! Technically, this is an override...right?

Yes it is, it will overwrite the stock Aspirations.
Page 1 of 10