Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 2:17 PM
Default How long are your rotations?
I'm sure there's threads about this already, but why not.

My megahood rotations currently are 1 day. I thought this would be good for me because my age span is 1 day = 1 year. So that way everybody only gets 1 day older. It works great for uni because then I can play for 1 year of uni, ie freshman to sophomore, which is nice if I have dorms with sims of different years.

However, I'm finding that doing 1 day in a megahood means I am progressing incredibly slowly. I play sims just about daily, and I'm still not even through an entire 'rotation' yet. I started megahood 2.0 in early Feb I think? It'll take forever for anything significant to happen at this rate.

So I was thinking about what other length rounds might work for me. I really like the 1 day for uni though. Idk what other number would work.
So I thought I'd make a thread and see what other people do with the length of their rounds, see what works for everybody else. And maybe I'll get some ideas.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 3:59 PM
I saw someone suggest a 5-day AKA 1-season rotation, so I adapted that one. Kinda.

Usually one round is 5 days, from one season to the next, but there are exceptions. For example, if I move a family from one house to another and they only have like 1 or 2 days left then I'll just set the season to the next one and not bother. Also if sims move to an active household after their round is over I don't correct their age because too much effort.

As for uni I use Cyjon's semester changes which makes a year 2 days, so what I do is at the beginning of a rotation I play with the uni households for 2 years AKA 4 days, then move onto the regular hood. As for moving back it's been a while since I played uni so I don't remember what I do but it's probably done just as haphazardly as regular moving. Also those who return don't get their ages corrected, sims who go straight to adult don't get extra days, and vacations are not a thing.

As for how this could apply to your megahood I don't really know, although since my favourite part of the sims is seeing families develop I've never even thought about megahoods. You're gonna progress slowly, sure, but if you like such detailed gameplay you might just like it. Or get Lazy Duchess' story progression mod, it snatched my wig, made Don get Cassandra pregnant then got them hitched before the pre-manufactured baby arrived, what an icon.
Scholar
#3 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 4:45 PM
I play one day rotations, but at the beginning of a new hood I stagger things a bit: I play just a couple of families in the first rotation, then play them again plus a couple more, rinse and repeat until everyone is played in. For a megahood, you could play one subhood through, then repeat that one and add another, etc. It makes sure that things start happening a bit sooner, and I don't have everyone aging to Elder at the same time (although this is less of a problem if you're playing Maxis hoods, since they generally start out with a mix of ages anyway).

I have Inteen and Cyjon's semester changes, so my Sims generally go to uni halfway through the teen stage. The uni rotation is still one day, because the eight days at uni (two days per academic year) is the same as the remaining time in the 'real world' for the Independent Teens who take jobs instead. I use the Stopinator to ensure that Sims who don't have a degree are not able to progress as far in most careers as those who do, so even though they start earning earlier their overall earning potential is less.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 5:03 PM
I start my towns out only playing one couple since that's all there is at first until another couple moves in and that's when I start playing each for a day though my seasons are ten days long and aging is frozen by a aging controller Mod until it's ime for that sim to age up.I do 40 days is a year.My towns all start out as a single couple settling on a homestead and it slowly grows into a small farming hamlet and progresses from there until it's a city.My story progression is mostly that I play and mainly watch townie households while my main playable families get played fully.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 5:14 PM
I don't have a set length. I use the lot sync timer and I am only allowed to start playing households on the lowest day number. But once I have loaded a household, I play as long as I like. That might be half a day, a whole day, until 6pm, a few days, or a week. If I need to quit the game for any reason then I can't reload that house, if they have moved past that day. (Unless I'm testing for mod conflicts or something).

For Megahood I got to the lowest day being Day 12, I think. Not sure how long I ran that for, months if not years, but I definitely didn't play every day.

I find this method is good because some families I can really get involved in the story of and the days go by really fast! So I don't have to switch households constantly. It does mean sometimes I have to wait a really long time to get back to some family that I enjoy playing, but that's OK. Having no set order also means I can choose the kind of household that appeals to me right now. Sometimes I want the craziness of loads of sims to manage at once, or a household with lots of children and/or toddlers. But sometimes all that is too overwhelming and stressful. Sometimes I want to play a single adult and focus on their wants, dreams, goals, get to know them and their ambitions. Sometimes I find that incredibly boring. Sometimes I want to go and run a business, other times I want to watch sims and see what they are telling me.

I keep notes in sims' Bios and sometimes on external files or a physical notepad so I don't forget what I was doing or what my longer term plans for a sim was or what events are supposed to be coming up in other households. I can often put down the game for months at a time so this is essential.

I have ADHD - I don't know if my particularly chaotic/varied playstyle is related to that, maybe it's not suited to everyone. But I know when I've tried to play strict rotations or set orders for households, I get frustrated or bored with families and want to skip through them - and then I feel like I'm wasting/missing parts of my sims' lives. Sure, there are always a couple of households at the end of a rotation that still feel like this, but it's much fewer (and I can always mark them as "Make more interesting" so that when I'm in a creative mood I can go and play those households first.)

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 6:12 PM
I play season rotations (5 days).. Previously I played one day rotations to keep everything in sync but I didn't enjoyed it at all. Seasons rotations are good because entire neighborhood is in one season and I can choose households what I haven't played yet and play them as much as I want within the 5 days and move to another and return etc.Also it gives me more time to do what I had in mind and see how babies will grow up and look like etc until all households are finally at the end of rotation. It takes way more time but I enjoy game more this way. If someone moves from one household to another I play both to the point when sim moves, move a sim and play both households ahead.I am not limited with one day and exact time,
Mad Poster
#7 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 6:40 PM
The trick to playing one day rotations in a large hood, IMHO (and I am a dedicated one-day rotater) is not to start with a large hood. Hoods, after all, grow naturally over time. Once the drama has established itself, it will spread throughout the households. Establishing and maintaining connections between households is very important to my style, as it allows me to see sims I haven't played in awhile and keep up with what's going on with them. Parties, outings, community lot visits, dates, and so on keep everyone lively. And short rotations allow me to get through a large hood more quickly than longs ones would, and gives me a real sense of time passing. Things like pregnancies, affairs and their fallouts, romance arcs, and so on would resolve far too quickly for me, otherwise. But that, of course, is me.

If you're going to play an uberhood, it's going to take a long time to get through everybody regardless of how long an individual rotation is. So you could work up to it. Maybe start in the main one, play a few quick rounds, then once someone in another hood has appeared a few times and gotten involved in another character's story, add the subhood where they live, and play just the main and one subhood until another sim from another subhood catches your eye, and so on. By the time they're all in play, you'll have settled into a lot of storylines and should always be eager to get to the next one.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#8 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 6:55 PM
I tie my rotations to seasons (5 days) but that doesn't mean I play the full five days with each household in one sitting. I sometimes play one household 2 days, then switch to another household and then return later to play the remaining 3 days and such. A rotation is finished when all households have switched over to the next season.
This system is also useful when marrying two Sims to each other; if thwe wedding takes place on day 4 of spring for example, I will play each household tot he morning of day 4 and then have the wedding, this the ages of Sims don't get out of synch.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 9:51 PM Last edited by Sokisims : 8th Mar 2021 at 10:38 PM.
I try to really not make many families so as not to get lost, but I don't always succeed, anyway I like to fusion families when time pass and make one-child policies that happen because I decide it in some generations that have too many sims.

Normally I play what I want, trying to have all the families on a limited day, let's say Sunday. Later, when they are all on that day, I start the cycle again, not worrying about it but paying attention not to spend Sunday. In large neighborhoods I have sometimes gotten lost a bit, but in general I usually get even life cycles.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 10:14 PM
One season -5 days.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#11 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 10:39 PM
I'm playing on 2 day rotations now and previously played on one day as you mentioned. I'm actually still trying to figure out my adult lifespan as everything else is vanilla except for that which I elongated for 42 days. I also play my uni rounds as 2 days per semester and have Cyjon's shorter semesters so I may need to tinker with the adult stage a bit more. The oldest of my 3rd generation are about to head off to uni shortly so I plan to establish some definitive age system for adulthood then.

Since starting this new rotation, I have learnt some important skills like establishing an Excel spreadsheet for all my households to keep track of where I am at and just so I can start and stop when I please. This is something I did not consider the first time around, back when I did the 1 day rotations and probably lost track all over the place..

Call me Seth!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 11:32 PM Last edited by FranH : 20th Mar 2021 at 3:48 AM.
Like others, I play one day rotations, and keep careful notes about who I played in each session-because there are about 20 families, all interconnected and everyone wants my attention.
Some families play quickly through the day, and others take their sweet time.
I don't usually try to play more than five families at one time, because it leads to overload for me-plus they get tired of my shenanigans, too.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 2:50 AM
One day, 6 AM to 6 AM. Makes sure everyone stays in-sync as far as aging so everyone's age differences remain the same. I used to do 6 PM to 6 PM but I like to do birthday parties right away at 6 PM so that wasn't really working.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Field Researcher
#14 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 5:32 AM
I used to do 5 days with some bouncing around as long as all households ended the season together. I switched to strict one-day rotations because I was getting too much in a muddle, or finding that I'd play a full five days with a favourite family and then feel let down when I'd played two days with everyone else but had to leave that family until next season. One day per household means a pregnant sim gets to visit and tell their friends the news before giving birth, a budding relationship can develop from both ends, and kids grow up in the right order. I play 6am-6am and go in order up and down each street; combined with my extensive notes, I never have trouble remembering who to play next.

My current hood started with three families, then next season another two families moved in, and it's gradually increased to 18 households. For the last few seasons my in-game season has matched the real-life season exactly - three months in real life to play five full rotations of the town - but that's starting to slip as Gen 3 youngsters move out and form their own households. I use the Sim Manipulator to line up the day of the week and season with the rest of the hood when I start a new household. So far, no university in this town.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 5:48 AM
I've been setting up a few new towns and with my Pleasantview EPic Challenge will only be starting with my usual one couple with another taking their own homestead claim in 1601 after the first couple has been there for a year.I'll play one day rotations when that happens and will alternate between building on the service center and playing my first settlers for a day.My apocalypse challenge will be similar except that buildings in that challenge are limited to single storey until sims enter the achitect career.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 6:34 PM
I use a 3-day rotation. I have a hack that changed the seasons to be 3 days long. It works perfectly with my aging system. Pregnancy and infancy are 1 day each, toddlerhood is 4 days, and childhood and teenhood are both 6 days, for a total of 18 days.

I do 2 years of university in a round, so Sims are really gone for 6 days. This works well with the SimBlender, since I can age my university graduates up 6 days to make up for the time they spent in University.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 6:44 PM
I play week long rotations, though I have thought about changing that at some point. For Uni, I just do the full round, however, I view one semester as one day (even though it's three days).

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 8:30 PM
Mine are from Monday to Thursday morning and Thursday to Monday morning. No particular reason except that is how I get two to three households done in one play session. I shortened teenage years from 14 days to 7
Link Ninja
#19 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 10:37 PM
Nothing strict but probably 3-7 days. I did do a whole sim year one time because I was tunnel-focused on getting this sim to earn enough to buy an art gallery but I kept subtracting her days with simblender (in hindsight i should have just activated the 'aging off' cheat) so she wouldn't be half a decade older than the sims she graduated with.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Field Researcher
#20 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 12:55 PM
One season

Please, sorry for my bad English..
Alchemist
#21 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 5:55 PM
I usually do 1 week rotations, with seasons modded to 7 days to match. I try to get out of each household by 6 am Monday morning. Sometimes I do move ins at the end of each rotation, sometimes I do them willy-nilly. I haven't tried 1 day rotations, and I can see the appeal, but it just seems too short to me! The weekly rotation is a blessing and a curse; plenty of time with one household and you can really get a groove going. It's great when you are really invested in a sim or family. But it can be a slog if the family is boring/nothing much is going on. If that happens, I usually split up the rotation and only play a couple of days at a time.

For me, I hate feeling like I don't spend enough time with my sims or household, or feeling like I didn't get to something. Sometimes it takes a whole day just for me to get the story going. I don't want to feel like I spent the whole rotation with a household just making sure everyone went to work and school on time, you know? Or that I just focused on fulfilling their needs. Though I supposed if I switched to a 1 day style, I'd have to make each day really count.

See, I've been thinking about changing up my rotation for a while, in order to incorporate more holidays, community time, and inter-household events. Initially I was thinking of making aging longer and doing 14 day seasons (keeping weekly rotations), to give myself more time to play out events. Another new idea I was toying with was breaking up rotations, doing M-F, and then the weekend. That way I'd have set time to focus on school, careers, and skilling, as well as a set time for focusing on community, outings, and holidays. But maybe doing shorter rotations is the answer? And taking each day more slowly, and with more planning?

For people who do 1 day rotations, do you use other mods that slow down the clock? Or community lot time? Or do you visit community lots a lot and abuse the time system and spend extra time with sims that way? I could see that working better for me. A day just seems really short, and that makes me nervous. I play medium to large households, too, so I'd worry about some sims getting ignored. In a week, there's time to focus on everyone a bit. How do you juggle that during a 1 day rotation?

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#22 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 10:41 PM
Quote:
For people who do 1 day rotations, do you use other mods that slow down the clock? Or community lot time? Or do you visit community lots a lot and abuse the time system and spend extra time with sims that way? I could see that working better for me. A day just seems really short, and that makes me nervous. I play medium to large households, too, so I'd worry about some sims getting ignored. In a week, there's time to focus on everyone a bit. How do you juggle that during a 1 day rotation?

As a matter of fact, I do use Chris Hatch's half speed mod, which does exactly that. I also use CLT as well. My pixels sometimes go to community lots, depending on their job, needs and moods. I don't try to play all of the households at once-I progress through them leisurely, and make extensive daily notes for each household to keep track of where they're at.

I don't try to rush the rotation, either. Although on occasion I will skip the order and do a house that's going to have an event, it's rare when that happens.

I don't know if it would interest you, but I do make a template of which families are in what houses (by order of creation) and then for each day, I write the daily notes. I also use the Sims2DB (available here: https://modthesims.info/d/107994/up...-your-sims.html) to keep their family histories intact.

The families in Tinsel Town are interconnected and interrelated, so I don't want to lose track of what's going on.

Yeah, it's a lot of work, but I find it's fun watching them live. I consider myself their historian.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#23 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 11:13 PM
Oh, I totally abuse the time system to get extra time with sims and create more opportunities for Stuff to happen. If you're only playing one day rotations, you have incentive to play each day intensely and to the hilt!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#24 Old 12th Mar 2021 at 1:29 AM
I play very strict rotations. Since a new household starts Monday at 8am, I run a week-long rotation from Monday 8am to the following Monday 7:59am. This also keeps everything standard/sync'd for dating and vital statistics. For the most part, I'll play a house through their full rotation once at a time, although I will sometimes alternate - once the rotation is complete for a particular household, I don't play it again until the following week.

For University, I play two 'years' to a week - so everyone spends two weeks in Uni (as Class cohorts), which is a bit of an over-sample, but I use the time for sims to skill up, find mates, and plan their futures - so it works.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 12th Mar 2021 at 1:48 AM
No community lot time, and I make the most of it! If there's nothing much happening at a household, I might invite some friends over but I play the day straight through without them leaving the lot. In a big household with a lot of story threads going on, I can make several visits to community lots. One sim goes to work in the shop all day and comes home again, it's still 9am and I leave him on free will the rest of the day unless someone wants him for something. A younger adult goes on a date, has some really good interactions with other sims at the park during the date, and comes home engaged. When the two teens get home from school, they go out to meet some friends at the teen-only hangout. And now there's only one sim in the family who hasn't had some dedicated attention, so I can have her pursue hobbies after work, or invite her sister to visit, or anything I like - without feeling like I've skimped on anyone for the day.
Page 1 of 2