Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 31st May 2005 at 4:31 AM
Do you have money trees on this lot. I have read a lot of people playing this challenge useing them. I have also read that having several of these on the lot, and them "bloomng" at the same time can cause your game to crash. Still looking.

How much ram do you have, sometimes the changing from night to day and the reverse, can crash the game if low on ram.

Teresa
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 31st May 2005 at 11:13 PM
I don't have any money trees at all. We have 512MB Ram, but I've never had a problem with it crashing from night to day before, and it only happens on this one lot.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 12:04 AM
Why don't you just move your Legacy family to the family bin and just delete the lot and try just moving them into a regular house before you build them another. I know, deleting the original house sucks but maybe it's just that lot thats screwed up. This happened to me once, and I really liked this family I was playing. I got the same message about the app terminating, it got so bad that it would not even let me move the family out. It kept giving me a msg. like "If you want to move out the family, visit the lot first, then move them out". How could I "visit" the lot first when It wouldnt even load up. I ended up dividing the family and moving them out with other Sims. It was the only way to aquire my Sims back. Sorry for my long winded rambling, but this is how I dealt with the prob. The lot is long since deleted, and this was before I even learned how to d/l objects and put them into my game, so it wasn't any downloads.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 12:33 AM
I'm going to do that. I did move them out, then put the lot in the lots and houses bin, put it back in the neighborhood, moved the family back in, and alas the game crashed at 9am sim time, exactly one sim hour after I loaded the lot... weird, eh?
Test Subject
#30 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 12:39 AM Last edited by Atwa : 1st Jun 2005 at 12:43 AM.
May I suggest something??
Last night after downloading just a few items and a house (haven´t downloaded houses for a long time) I went in the game to play. First I went to CAS create a couple of families. Then I moved them to a lot... and it never opened!! After closing the game down I tried again and moved the other couple to the same lot as the earlier family and opened the lot... after about 10 minutes the lot opened and I was happy but all the sims were standing there frozen. I couldn´t understand why so I stopped the game and ran the Clean Installer and locked the downloads I had just downloaded. Started the game again and the same thing happened. :rage:
Well, I ran the Clean Installer again and put all the downloads in alphabetic order and what do I see there :wow: 6 different careers I didn´t have before. I deleted them and went straight into the game and it worked perfectly :yippee: Could it be something like that??? My game did crash from a career I downloaded without knowing a couple of months ago
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 1:58 AM
in my game i sometimes get random crashes when loading maxis original houses that i've played in previously.

That prolly didnt make any sense. What i mean is that i play in the maxis created house, then move the family out for whatever reason, and then want to go into the house to change walls or whatever but the game crashes every time while its loading. I ended up deleting the house.

Something really creepy happend one time, i had been playing this family in one house for a really long time when i noticed the repair man wasn't showing up... Sort of suddenly the game slowed to a crawl so i had to exit... it was going one sim minute every real minute or something rediculous like that. I loaded the lot a couple other times and it was still doing that. The last time i went back into the house there was a huge group of repair men (like 20 of them) all just standing there, one per square in a big square coverning most of the whole lot. It was creepy cuz the kids in that house were watching tv and there were repairmen inside and outside of the house just standing there.... all dressed the same...

anyway the point of that story is that sometimes really random bugs happen in my game..... and my houses sometimes get buggy so i have to delete them.
Test Subject
#32 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 9:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jkuijper
Something really creepy happend one time, i had been playing this family in one house for a really long time when i noticed the repair man wasn't showing up... Sort of suddenly the game slowed to a crawl so i had to exit... it was going one sim minute every real minute or something rediculous like that. I loaded the lot a couple other times and it was still doing that. The last time i went back into the house there was a huge group of repair men (like 20 of them) all just standing there, one per square in a big square coverning most of the whole lot. It was creepy cuz the kids in that house were watching tv and there were repairmen inside and outside of the house just standing there.... all dressed the same...

Yes and that has happened to me also a couple of times. The last time I just moved the family to the bin and bought a new house on a different lot. I does lock a bit creepy with them all walking around, I had garderners one time...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#33 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 4:12 PM
I don't download custom houses, so that's not a possibility. After eliminating all other possibilities, I have deleted all my new meshes :weep: It may have been a high poly mesh crashing the game. We shall see. If not that.. well.. I guess goodbye simmies... :blah:
Scholar
#34 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 4:31 PM
I have read that some really high polymeshes can cause crashes. I have a bunch in my game, but am not using them. Maybe you had more on the lot than your computer could handle. With a lot of high poly meshes, mine tends to slow down, almost to a crawl. I have never played it like that, I remove them. A lot of sites are redoing their objects to lower polys now. I hope after sacrificing your meshes, it fixes your game.

Do you shut down all unnecessary processes when playing, especially virus scans and such. Also save on a regular basis. I save every 15 minutes or so. This frees up ram. I have seen my ram drop to where I only had 30 mbs left. I added more to mine and have 768 now. Windows XP hogs over 100mbs of your ram, even when shutting down everything not needed. Good luck! And yes, sims is an addiction.

Teresa
Test Subject
#35 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 4:37 PM
"Last night after downloading just a few items and a house (haven´t downloaded houses for a long time) I went in the game to play. First I went to CAS create a couple of families. Then I moved them to a lot... and it never opened!! After closing the game down I tried again and moved the other couple to the same lot as the earlier family and opened the lot... after about 10 minutes the lot opened and I was happy but all the sims were standing there frozen. I couldn´t understand why so I stopped the game and ran the Clean Installer and locked the downloads I had just downloaded. Started the game again and the same thing happened.
Well, I ran the Clean Installer again and put all the downloads in alphabetic order and what do I see there 6 different careers I didn´t have before. I deleted them and went straight into the game and it worked perfectly Could it be something like that??? My game did crash from a career I downloaded without knowing a couple of months ago"

I have the exact same problem right now, but after I removed the 4 or so carrers, the game still didn't work and my Clean Installer doesn't have a date thingy so I can't see which I have downloaded when. (only just installed it because I can't figure out how to download correctly with it)

Does any one have any surgestions on how to fix this
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#36 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 4:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by teresa7159
I have read that some really high polymeshes can cause crashes. I have a bunch in my game, but am not using them. Maybe you had more on the lot than your computer could handle. With a lot of high poly meshes, mine tends to slow down, almost to a crawl. I have never played it like that, I remove them. A lot of sites are redoing their objects to lower polys now. I hope after sacrificing your meshes, it fixes your game.

Do you shut down all unnecessary processes when playing, especially virus scans and such. Also save on a regular basis. I save every 15 minutes or so. This frees up ram. I have seen my ram drop to where I only had 30 mbs left. I added more to mine and have 768 now. Windows XP hogs over 100mbs of your ram, even when shutting down everything not needed. Good luck! And yes, sims is an addiction.

Teresa

I know. I don't particularly care for Windows XP, but yes, I do close down everything possible before running the game. I am just praying that it was the object meshes, I couldn't bare do get rid of anything more. I fear I may have to start with a fresh downloads folder.

Remember... He who laughs last, didn't get the joke..
Scholar
#37 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 4:45 PM
To find newest downloads... open downloads folder, right click an empty place in folder, and click arrange by date.

To find file types in clean installer, I just click on type at the top and then go down the list. It will put all of each type of download together, Such as objects, clothing, lipstick, and so on. This way careers are usually easy to find.

Hope some of this helps.

Teresa
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#38 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 8:36 PM
This is driving me nuts! :gonemad: I loaded the family I've been having problems with on to a blank lot, and low and behold, the game crashed again, on the hour. I think it's a conspiracy. So, here's my new theory. My 2nd gen. legacy sim is pregnant, and somehow the unborn child has become corupt, and is the spawn of satan... Really though.. I am all out of ideas as to why the game is crashing. :banghead:

Scholar
#39 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 3:26 AM
Is it just the one family? Might be a corrupted skin. If you really think it is the baby, you can use a hack to abort the pregency.

Teresa
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#40 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 1:11 AM
I honestly don't know what it is.. I feel that I have tried just about everything, and my head is about to explode, Every time I think I have figured it out, it crashes again. Here's the latest update. I choose the family that is -not- crashing my game.. and moved the sims from the family that -is- crashing my game in one by one. Everything ran smoothly until I got to the mother, whom might I add is on her death bed. It seems to crash whenever she joins the family, but then also, I had her join and it ran ok until the toddler turned into a child, and it crashed, so I thought it may be the cut scenes, so I turned that option off, re-loaded, and moved them back in. It ran fine for a little while, until the sim clock hit 6pm (when everyone ages) and it crashed again. Now I'm assuming that had it not crashed so many times.. the above mentioned elder would be dead already... ugh... I just really don't know.... does anyone know if tech support would be any help.. or are they just going to tell me to delete everything and install a clean fresh game? :rage:

Lab Assistant
#41 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 2:17 AM Last edited by Amish Nick : 4th Aug 2005 at 1:13 AM.
Pretty much just delete and reinstall is what they would say.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#42 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 3:26 AM
I'm about ready to do so.. but I'm afraid that from what some others have said about the issue, that it wont help, and then it will all be for nothing.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 3:31 AM Last edited by Amish Nick : 4th Aug 2005 at 1:12 AM. Reason: spelling
I just got a feeling it is something in your downloads folder causing it. A mesh with a high poly count or a corrupted file or maybe even a hack that is messing with normal game play.
Inventor
#44 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 3:01 PM
I'm following this post as I too have the same problem of closing and crashing of the game. Hope somebody has a solution except the suggestions above as I've tryed them all and nothing works. I've played Sims2 for months without crashing and now suddenly.......... Even a complete new clean game install still crashes and that shouldn't be possible.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#45 Old 4th Jun 2005 at 12:42 AM
Well.. I have good news and bad new... good news is that my game works.. bad news is that I'm stupid.. I removed my hacks folder and voila.. it works. I didn't think it was a hack though, because I havn't downloaded any -new- hacks, and it never crashed before. :screwy: Also, it may have been a combination of a hack, and the fact that my two elders were dying, plus a toddler was growing into a child all at the same time.
Scholar
#46 Old 4th Jun 2005 at 5:24 AM
Congratulations, I am so glad it is working again.

Teresa
Test Subject
#47 Old 4th Jun 2005 at 2:33 PM
If you want to be sure what it was that crashed your game you can tjeck the log files in the Sims 2 folder.

It makes a new log everytime the games craches and lists the reason within this log
Test Subject
#48 Old 5th Jun 2005 at 9:32 AM
Quote:
My game crashses randomly after about 10 mins playing its sooo annoyin mine comes up the same quote " The application crashed the application will now terminate" I have a new computer aswell its just sooo annoyin i also delted all the stuff from my downloads folder and uninstalled and re- installed the game three times and one again it keeps crashing grrrrrr

I had a new computer when I first started playing sims 2 aswell. Nothing had ever been run on it and it had ample specs to cope with the game. I kept getting the "Application has crashed. Applicatrion will now terminate" error after a few minutes of the game running. I tried EVERYTHING. It was a vanilla install too and it still would crash.

I fixed it by turning down the processor speed in BIOS. It obviously couldn't cope with the processor being clocked as high as it was. The sims 2 never crashed on that computer again.

Now I have an absolute beast of a computer. 3.7 GHz, BFG NVIDIA Geforce 6800 Ultra Graphics card, 2 GB Ram. I have over 8GB of downloads in my game too. Most of the time it works fine, but occasionally I will have lots crash with that error message again. When this happens, it has always been a messed up mesh file. I just use Clean Installer to remove all object meshes. If that specific lot opens (and it's almost always a lot that is totally maxis made...go figure) I know that it is one of those files. I then remove all other downloads to make load time minimal. Then I keep halving the object mesh folder and putting half back in the game until I find the messed up one. It only takes a couple of hours to do.

When I get a lot that just hangs and won't open, but doesn't give that "application has crashed" error. It's ALWAYS a stray career that has turned up somewhere. Just use Clean Installer to delete them.

I hope this helps some of you.
Inventor
#49 Old 7th Jun 2005 at 7:38 AM Last edited by Cocomama : 7th Jun 2005 at 7:42 AM.
Thanks Chaudrum, I've found the crashlogs. A lot of missing animations and textures messages. Looks like I have to make a new clean install again and if that doesn't work, clean and check the CD for scratches and maybe even buy a new one. At least I got new possibilities to check upon. Thanks for your reply.
Taniaoakly, I can't turn down the processor speed as it will effect my sons game World of Warcraft too as well as everything else, and in my case that shouldn't be neccesary as the game played allright for the first 3 or 4 months. The crashing must be caused by something that happened after that period, but thank you for your reply. I really envy you to be able to have so many downloads in your game, wow.
Test Subject
#50 Old 9th Jun 2005 at 4:57 AM
It dose this to me when my maid and gardner show up to work?? any ideas
Page 2 of 3