Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 9:16 AM
Default Build Ideas for Your Towns!
So I wasn't sure if this was deserving of its own thread or not, so if it isn't, feel free to delete me!

Here's just over 100 build ideas for a basic Sim town. If you have anymore, feel free to share! Those building other styles of hoods, I'd love to hear what specialty lots you've added. Medieval, post-apocalyptical, what have you. I've organized it by subhood categories, based on what I think fits which hood part best. I honestly haven't played much with Bon Voyage though, so I'm sure I've missed a lot of options.

My goal when making this list was to create a town entirely myself without downloaded lots, with lot types for as many possible careers/businesses. Even if some aren't fully functional, I wanted a lot representing the careers, like rabbit-holes in TS3. I'm having a lot of fun building this custom town, and I've spent many hours so far in it. I know most are fine with just placing some CC 3t2 rabbit-holes down but I wanted to be able to go in and have my Sims explore their 'jobs' occasionally, and it just makes the game feel more complete for me. There are plenty of pre-made lots on MTS if you'd like to fill up your town a little more, though! I don't claim ALL the ideas to be my own.

I'm sharing in case anyone else needed some fresh stuff for their hoods, but mainly because I want to know what else my town could be missing!

Some of these will require CC/mods if you want them to be functional.

MAIN HOOD

SHOPPING DISTRICT

DOWNTOWN

COLLEGE

RESIDENTIAL

I ramble a lot, and get confused easily, so my apologies to you in advance.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 12:50 PM
Medieval:
1. Training center (for knights)
2. Coin trader
3. Celebration center-for those who don't want to marry in the church.
4. Tavern
5. Bowling green-a bowling area in the park with a fishing/swimming hole
6. Traditional church
7. Speaker's Corner-where one can express their political views freely.
8. The Green Thumb-a gardening center.
9. Town Hall

Note: I have all of these lots in my game.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
#4 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 1:26 PM Last edited by sturlington : 4th Oct 2021 at 1:54 PM.
I made a list based on the small town where I live. It is surrounded by rural areas and farms, and the river runs through downtown. I probably wouldn't take the time to build it, but I'd love to see it done.

COUNTRYSIDE

SUBURBS - could be shopping district subhood

DOWNTOWN AREA

You could also add a university, since we have a college town nearby, which would have the campus, Greek houses, and dorms, another hospital, planetarium, theater, amphitheater, stadium, student center and bookstore, and a main street area with shops, bars, and restaurants for the college kids.

If you wanted a vacation spot with the same "feel," it could be a rural or lakefront area with a campground, motels, shopping mall, putt-putt course, movie theater, bowling alley, and roller rink.
Scholar
#5 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 3:12 PM
I haven't got any entries of my own (as yet), but I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I always struggle with ideas of what community lots I'd like to place/build in my hoods (as the possibilities are endless where TS2 is concerned!), and I love threads like these where others can share their own ideas and thoughts. If I do have anything worth adding, I'll be back (lol)

...Titanium white...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 8:59 PM
I am LOVING all these ideas! Cannot believe I didn't think of some of them. Airport? River walk? Dentist offices? Candy store?? Ahh there's so many you guys have added!!

Forum Resident
#8 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 10:13 PM
aw, this makes me kinda sad i'm playing my medievals atm. I'll have to addsome of these in my modern hood!

Edit: Completely missed Fran's contribution! I like the speakers corner, I'll have to add it into my town square!

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 10:27 PM
Playing Fields

(Though they're probably included in some of the things other people have mentioned. I think Criquette has some deco ones.)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#10 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 11:33 PM
This conversation reminded me of a fun community lot I once had in one of my neighborhoods: a town dump. There was a little shack with a TV and one of those old stoves, and then scattered around was the old wornout furniture, those big bonfire piles, and other junk. I would send my Sims there to dig for treasure. They really liked it.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 5th Oct 2021 at 2:35 AM
I made a makeshift baseball field in one of my towns complete with dugouts and bleachers.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 5th Oct 2021 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by didyouevenmakeasound
aw, this makes me kinda sad i'm playing my medievals atm. I'll have to addsome of these in my modern hood!

Edit: Completely missed Fran's contribution! I like the speakers corner, I'll have to add it into my town square!

If you have one of the converted pulpits your speakers not only gain charisma points, but they get money for it, too! In mine, I use a 1x1 lot, but place 2 rows of 3 benches in front, a violin and a lute (guitar) on either side of the pulpit-thus allowing pixels to play instruments and get money from that as well. Pretty busy little lot, and very popular.

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 4:06 PM
I have an Art Park.
It is a very simple lot, with a pond and easels around, as well as coffee (artists need coffee, I think?) and a BBQ.
It is fun to play and one of my sims once sold a masterpiece painted by a townie
Link Ninja
#14 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 2:41 AM
I saw this come up the other day and started writing out all my lots 'cause I have made a LOT over the years for my hood and subhoods.
Firstly there are some redundancies I always use in every hood to cut down on loading times. So all of the contained places will have:
-Coffee Place
-Clothes shopping
-Exercise/Body skill lot
-A Park/Playground
-Grocery
-Diner

Of course there are variances, for example, my Urban City has a a whole recreation center while my shopping district just uses beaches for swimming, while the main hood has a community pool plus some exercise equipment and a basketball court.

So with that said here is the run down of specialized lots:

I have even more I have added to the Uni and Vacation sub hoods, but I also love going back a re-assessing my lots in these areas and bulldozing what doesn't work anymore and adding new lots in their place. I have a backlog of ideas for businesses and lots I still haven't even built yet. It changes the landscape over time, kind of like a real city or town.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 12:55 PM
My BACC in Dodge only has a corner shop and the community service center where they can buy clothing or gorceries.They can also earn money there a few ways and come home after a day spent there.It's also got a functional soup kitchen because of a patch I installed to make the cafeteria stoves spawn cooks at any lot type.The residential lots are two occupied homesteads and one still vacant and a starter home with a home for a crafter.
Scholar
#16 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim

Ahhh.... LOVE # 3 !!
Many of my sims worry about their 'appearance'.
Have to be "just right" !

" Inama Nushif "
Forum Resident
#17 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 11:17 PM
I love this, but I'm just curious why you wouldn't put the city hall in Downtown? Unless you're doing a megahood like I am and each hood is in a different part of the county.

Edit: I just thought I'd add, parking lots make nice homes for the homeless.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 3:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
My BACC in Dodge only has a corner shop and the community service center where they can buy clothing or gorceries.They can also earn money there a few ways and come home after a day spent there.It's also got a functional soup kitchen because of a patch I installed to make the cafeteria stoves spawn cooks at any lot type.The residential lots are two occupied homesteads and one still vacant and a starter home with a home for a crafter.

===
I have a few "frontier" hoods, and they all have 2 community lots (& no shopping hood):
1-a Trading Post, with: 1 food bin, 1 clothes rack, a barrel chess/checkers game outside, a thing to buy pets with, pet collars, buyable souvenirs, a hitching post with a horse, and an outhouse.
2- a Fishing Hole with...fish. Benches, chess, swings and slides, darts, BBQ. wedding arch, ... and an outhouse.
Even in a modern hood, I only have a few community lots, each with lots of stuff (like the K-Mart with everything, even a food-judging table and a restaurant). One-stop shopping..and dating..and meeting.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Scholar
#20 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 5:46 PM
Yeah, it's fun to come up with ideas for community lots, but in my game, my Sims go only to a few places regularly. In Pleasantview, they are:
1) Corner bar, for fun, meeting people, public woohoo in the photobooth, and there are a couple of cold cases so you can pick up groceries while you're there. Plus a hot dog grill.
2) Town offices, for job hunting and meeting people, and you can buy Pleasantview merch (t-shirts and jewelry) or get a magazine and a cup of coffee. Also grill some hot dogs.
3) Park, which is where all the skilling happens; there's a trampoline, a little mini golf course, chess tables, easels, a fishing pond, and one of those free lending libraries (just the concrete-block bookcase), plus the ubiquitous hot dog grill.
4) Teen hangout, which is just bathrooms, a bench, swings, a vending machine, and a boom box...oh, and the hot dog grill.

There's also a church that's only for weddings and funerals and a tacky roadside motel if you can't ask your date back to your place because of an inconvenient spouse. Otherwise, they have to go downtown, which they do occasionally but only for special outings. Although when the Pleasants finally kick the bucket, I'm planning to convert their house to a fine dining restaurant so there is a nice place for dates and proposals that doesn't involve a taxi ride.

They never go to Bluewater Village, because I hate the lots there, but I did put Christmas World in there (which is just as tacky as it sounds) so they have a place to go ice skating. I may have to put in a public pool and roller rink there as well, but again, that's only to fulfill special wants.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#21 Old 9th Oct 2021 at 3:56 AM
@Charmful - First of all, I love your ballroom idea! I don't give my Sims enough chances to wear their formal wear. Stealing that idea! (Also, off-topic, but I just wanted to say I found your Downloads and I'm in love with your creations too! I was searching for some new paintings to put in my game because I really don't have that many wall hanging deco items and I'm so excited to play now, lol!)
edit - didn't even see bird sanctuary!! awesome

@bnefriends - I considered it, honestly, but I liked seeing city hall and central park in the main center hood. Makes the town feel more come-together for me? Not sure. I consider my main hood the residential, schooling, and elderly area, downtown for all the nightlife and adult areas, and the shopping district for all the malls and general businesses. Especially because in my real life town, my city hall is uptown, away from all our downtown businesses. My IRL town is very divided in its sections, so it feels more natural to me!

@grammapat - Ooo! Fishing park! Now I wanna do a lake. I have plans for a fisherman/woman Sim, but I'd like my other Sims to be able to enjoy that hobby too.

Link Ninja
#22 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 3:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alpal425
@Charmful - First of all, I love your ballroom idea! I don't give my Sims enough chances to wear their formal wear. Stealing that idea! (Also, off-topic, but I just wanted to say I found your Downloads and I'm in love with your creations too! I was searching for some new paintings to put in my game because I really don't have that many wall hanging deco items and I'm so excited to play now, lol!)
edit - didn't even see bird sanctuary!! awesome

Thanks! I do love a good soiree for my sims. Masquerades are always fun to set up and take pictures of but you could also do something like a fancy restaurant that requires formal wear. Maybe an opera house/symphony hall that forces sims to dress into formal and have a sim play violin on the stage as well. I'm glad you like my art wall hangings! Oh the bird sanctuary is one of the most fun businesses I have ever played! Here was a video of the gameplay of it!

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 3:34 AM
Here's a new one I invented-a sauna place-just a small sauna where either men or women can gather (usually during the winter) and when they're all steamed out, they can step into a outdoor shower to cool off.

Also a 'roadside shrine' where people can sit and pray for a few minutes before doing other things.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 5:33 AM
Perhaps a witch/matchmaker lot? Shop & hangout. All things mystical.

Page 1 of 3