Replies: 30 (Who?), Viewed: 691 times.
Page 1 of 2
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 5:17 PM
Default Do You Ever Play With The Playable NPC's In The Sims 2
I do all the time, I grow entire families with them, even the pizza delivery person lol, But I have not used the maids in a long time though, if you develop a relationship with certain NPC's in the sims 2 Apartment life you can get bonus like job promotions, job opportunities, and even free stuff that you can sell for sim cash. I love interacting with the NPC's and I practically use them in the game with having children with them, I customize them sometimes to have custom hair styles, and even new clothing, after all they are using up character files after all.

I don't know the downside of playing with playable NPC's currently so maybe you could tell me if I am doing something I should not be doing gamewise. I do have a playing habit of using NPC's to fill my houses as well as using custom families.

How do you use the playable NPC's in the sims 2? do you use them or never at all? are all your sims made by you in your neighborhoods? how do you play your game currently

My personal radio station link in first post (commercial free and all music) listen with Firefox enjoy, this is a gift
me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheAngelClassicRocKMix
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 5:50 PM
I have found a use for the female ones in my Sultante. I usually spawn them in and move them in and then age them down to toddlers again and take away their learned skills so they can be raised again. This way I don't need to make new sims all the time and get rid of the NPCs in their inappropriate clothes for my historical-fantasy setting. I'm slowly running out of NPCs but so far they spared me a lot of work in having to create new concubines and servants.

I still need to figure out what to do with the men tough.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 5:50 PM
Oh, yeah, I do. The former mailman of Arundel is living in town, as is the business reviewer, 2 teens who worked in the village-to flesh out the characters. They do bring variety into the town, and they generally add to the game play by having families with my created pixels.

For example-I have the mod of a special maintenance worker spawned by a dishwasher, and the first one I brought into the game.

Named Alan Trottier, he was a black haired, dark green skinned pixel who fell madly in love with one of my regulars.

Nobody likes him but his wife, and everyone was suspicious at first of him because of his skin-so I made up a back story that he was French and escaped the plague in France to work in England. (don't get offended, because I'm of French descent. I know the joke.)

The business reviewer joined the military, but had a one night stand with another regular (who is married, and has children) and became pregnant by him. Having borne 2 children, she has found her calling as a woman of no virtue and she entertains men in her house at night. This enables her to stay home and take care of the children, earn money and have lots of dear friends. She also gets child support from her paramour so she's doing all right.

The same with many other NPC's that I've imported. There aren't that many down sides to having them in the game, otherwise than they can have habits that are autonomous, (like Alan and another keep trying to take baths) but it's not something so bad that you can't train them out of it.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles (including funerals, here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file)
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space- Bark!
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 6:00 PM
I really love the NPCs and they are a big part of the town in my main game, Lacuna Delta. Sometimes they turn up as apartment neighbours, and often my sims have them as room-mates or friends. Some maids, paper delivery, mail delivery, dormies and shop clerks have been married into my familes. One of my favourites is the chef who is boyfriend to Mrs Crumplebottom, who is a long time room mate of several sims.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -RADIO- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Instructor
#5 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 7:28 PM
I used to have playable NPCs a long time ago. I would add them to the household or marry them. But soon after I discovered how to make my own townies.
Alchemist
#6 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 7:39 PM
The townies? Yeah, all the time. I'm too lazy/not creative enough to make my own Sims, so I rely on the townies to round out the game.
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space- Bark!
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 9:17 PM
Oh, I make all my townies and NPCs! If the game generates one, then I sometimes give them alt sim surgery, or at least they make a visit to my local salon to be awarded a silly hat.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -RADIO- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 9:30 PM
I used to do that with NPC dormies at the campus and would use it to add more sims to my town as playable townies to fill out my stories with background sims.I never get NPC neighbors in the partment lots because of a Mod that disabled that as I don't mind half empty buildings or just having playable townies as neighbors and playing them in my rotations.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 9:33 PM
Yes. On an old installation, I had my politician character marry the policewoman who stopped the burglar at his house.
Alchemist
#10 Old 9th Nov 2021 at 10:52 AM
In my megahood, not really. Kaylynn Langerak became playable at least, but I can't think of any others (unless including townies). It really depends on the neighbourhood - if there's no specific theme and I need more sims then sure.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#11 Old 9th Nov 2021 at 12:46 PM
I sent all the teens to Uni, including the newspaper teens and the teen cashiers (just love George) more than once, and some of my sims have married bar tenders, a garden club member and a hobby instructor (the cooking one); professors, mascots and secret society members. No problems caused by that at all.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 9th Nov 2021 at 4:55 PM
I wouldn't be against it but I can't think of ever doing it, apart from townies. I might make Kaylynn Langerak playable. Most of my sims are pre-mades with the occasional sim I make and I do make townies playable as needed (if they count) when one of my sims finds love with a townie.

My Simblr
They/He
Instructor
#13 Old 9th Nov 2021 at 5:57 PM
I'm working on recreating Townies and NPC into famlies in a clean version of Veronaville. For example, Renee Andrews (newspaper girl, Face 27) is the daughter of Trista Shaw (Townie, Face 4) and Steven Dallas (maid, Face 27). I've tweaked their faces with DRs and they all have different first and surnames.
Link Ninja
#14 Old 9th Nov 2021 at 8:07 PM
Very rarely, but I have folded a few playable NPCS into my overall hood. I go to town using gussy up mod on them though, that's one of my favorite things. It's charmful's surprise makeovers 24/7, no one is safe.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Field Researcher
#15 Old 9th Nov 2021 at 8:18 PM Last edited by Sokisims : 9th Nov 2021 at 9:21 PM.
I love editing them haha. Sometimes I have more interesting characters in townies or npc than in my families when they get too perfect.
Instructor
#16 Old 10th Nov 2021 at 2:28 AM
Townie families would be easy to make. The question that remains if they stay as family when you convert them all to townies.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 10th Nov 2021 at 5:41 AM Last edited by TadOlson : 10th Nov 2021 at 8:53 PM.
They will remain families if they stay as playable households to make neighbors for occupying empty apartments with playable families as I don't get NPC neighbors moving into any of my apartment lots.It's caused by a Mod installed in my game ages ago and I've never taken that out because I like playable townies being in apartments.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 10th Nov 2021 at 1:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogrinder
Townie families would be easy to make. The question that remains if they stay as family when you convert them all to townies.
If you create relationships between townies, or indeed make Sims into townies who are already related, they will keep, and recognise, these relationships even when they are townies. Those of us who have a Downtown already have such a townie (or Downtownie) family -- the Tricou teens. They all recognise each other as siblings, and they can't have romantic relations with each other.

I find it makes the townies more interesting if some of them are related to each other. I often make townies related if they share the same surname, and sometimes retain some relationships when making townies in CAS. Usually I make them siblings, or parent and child. But in Pleasantview (which I haven't played for a while) I've always thought of the Tellermans as a couple. So I've just gone into SimPE and made Komei and Jan husband and wife. Mind you, I don't know how long that marriage will last. The things I've seen Jan doing in the hot tub with Don Lothario!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Test Subject
#19 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 12:39 AM
I can also confirm townies maintain family ties. In my current neighbourhood, I made all the subhood and stealth hood premades into townies (the intent being to only play my founding sim and her many descendents).

One sim married Nathan Gavigan (I split up all premades that were married) and another is engaged to Melody Tinker. Nathan still recognises Isaiah as his son and Melody still recognises Wanda and Stephen as her parents.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 1:22 PM
I don't know about anyone else's game, but mine generates sims with the same name in multiples. For instance right now, Alan and Brenda are a big thing in the NPC's naming. I'm going to have change some of their names to be able to tell which is which. I have a Brenda Clark, who happens to hate Brenda Go living in the same town, and then there's Brenda Potter who's married to the Lord Mayor. Alan Buckingham is a teen while Alan Trottier is an adult.

It does get confusing.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles (including funerals, here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file)
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 2:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
I don't know about anyone else's game, but mine generates sims with the same name in multiples. For instance right now, Alan and Brenda are a big thing in the NPC's naming. I'm going to have change some of their names to be able to tell which is which. I have a Brenda Clark, who happens to hate Brenda Go living in the same town, and then there's Brenda Potter who's married to the Lord Mayor. Alan Buckingham is a teen while Alan Trottier is an adult.

Same here. Almost all of the new Sims generated in my game over the last 6 months have been named Brenda, Brittany, Alan, or Alec. It was really bad before I put in the mod to prevent witches from spawning every time my Sims visit a community lot, but it's still happening. I've wondered whether kicking my PC would get the game unstuck from those names. I'll change a bunch of them in SimPE. Although I've also considered starting a cult in which everyone has one of those 4 names.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 9:36 PM
Townies to me are a quintessential to a good neighborhood. Without townies 'hoods feel lifeless.

As for the main question, no I don't play them. Townies are townies for a reason...

In this context, there's no disrespect ...We got five minutes for us to disconnect
Let's get retarded in here.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 1:14 AM
@FranH and @tancred : I try to deal with the problem of too many NPCs/townies with the same names by using a townie/NPC name mod, and changing which mod I use every now and then. For the first few years I just used the Maxis names, but, without any disrespect to Veronaville teen Jihoon, or EA/Maxis executive Tim, I reckon you can have too many LeTourneaus in a neighbourhood. For several years I then used a name mod by HystericalParoxysm. Unfortunately this had a glitch by which many female Sims had a different forename in SimPE to the one they had in the game. I now use a name mod by simsfreq. Of course these name mods only affect the names of newly generated Sims -- all existing townies and NPCs keep their names. If you decide to use a townie name mod, you must leave the filename as "Live.package". If you change the filename it stops working.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Theorist
#24 Old 14th Nov 2021 at 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH

It does get confusing.

I do too even if I'm using a name mod for the longest time. I rename them with Simpe.

My townies are usually custom made because it's fun for me. When I feel lazy I turn the hobby instructors into townies.
In my hood, I made the paperboy, the firefighter, the animal control officer and the mail-woman look like my playables. Unfortunately I didn't find a satisfactory way to do so with the reporter since she interacts with the playables.
I wish the playable cops mod to work for other NPC jobs but it's impossible. I'm already grateful for this one mod though.

Other NPC are courtesy of the game.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 14th Nov 2021 at 5:55 PM
I often create a pair of sims to adopt all the kids and teen townies - they are all ORPHANS! Sometimes I even age the kids down to toddlers so they can start with a better life. I'm such a sap for toddlers. Like some other posters, I often change townie names, or make them playable, related, change personalities, make extreme faces (I think that makes them extremely interesting!), then turn them back into townies. Sometimes I will make the "mother" very pregnant before making her a townie. Yea, you're a waddling pregnant mom who's ugly and dressed like a tramp because you think you're so hot!

Namaste... or "go"
Page 1 of 2