Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 199 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Nov 2021 at 8:29 PM
Default do you have to have the sims 4 downloaded to convert sims 4 clothing cc to the sims 3?
I found a tutorial on how to convert the clothing from sims 4 to the sims 3, however it said you have to have the sims 4 downloaded in order to do it, which isn't an option for me. I wanted to convert someone else's custom clothing (Satterly, they have some gorgeous conversions from dragon age) into the sims 3, not clothing from ingame. I've never really done any content creation before but I'd like to try, I figured I might as well ask before I try.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#2 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 4:05 PM
Not going to be a crazy helpful answer as really I'm saying "I don't know" but it might be that the tutorial meant converting sims 4 ea clothes, which will of course mean that sims 4 has to be installed. So you could try installing sims4studio and seeing if it will open the cc file, and hopefully you can extract the meshes

Perhaps someone will give more of a certain answer but it's probably easiest to just try it out and see if it works
Instructor
#3 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 9:20 PM
Here is a tutorial on converting TS4 clothes to TS3. I have not done this myself and have not followed the instructions so I can't say whether they are "good" or not... BUT I skimmed over the first bit and it states you need TS4 or "the tools won't work" but I didn't see explicitly stated which tools depended on it. So I guess it's the S4CASTools maybe that needs TS4? Theoretically speaking, if you get the mesh and textures out "somehow", after that you don't strictly need TS4 for anything. It's blender, milkshape and TS3-specific tools you need.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Instructor
#4 Old 16th Nov 2021 at 9:28 PM
Like zoe22 said, you could always just "try it". The worst that will happen is it won't work.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 19th Nov 2021 at 7:42 PM
Quick answer is no, you do not need TS4 to convert CC to TS3. There are several tools you will need. S4pe at Simlogical, S4CAS tool by Cmar, Milkshape (I use Blender, but also more steps) and TSRW.

Biggest problem converting some TS4 to TS3 is polycount. TS4 can handle higher than TS3, and many very nice custom meshes can be very high poly, and difficult to reduce and keep looking good.

I do not have links, but I learned on a thread here about this issue. WAY back machine... maybe 2010 or 2012, MurfeeL (who does nice work) had poly count problems with a mesh. Total count for all LODs matters.
Instructor
#6 Old 27th Nov 2021 at 5:43 PM
You must install the game if you want to convert official content from any SP , GP, Kits and EP. If they are cc, you can do it .
I am also trying to convert eww that's not simple to use Blender.