Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 5:26 PM
TSR Workshop ERROR
I have googled and watched youtube videos but I can't find what I need.

I am trying to make a broken down version of the sims 3 motorcycle. I would love for it to be a decorative object but if it has to be a vehicle, that's fine.

These Files will not import in TSR Workshop. (Import failed - object reference not set to an instance)

I have tried:
-deleting project files,
-adding simgeom to blender (the resulting file will not work in the Mesh Tool Kit)
-exporting the file from blender as a .fbx file

I still can't import. Can someone either tell me how or make the 3 files for me? If you make the files, they will belong to you and you can upload them as your creations because they will be yours.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 19th Nov 2021 at 5:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by oreosncreamforjojo

I am trying to make a broken down version of the sims 3 motorcycle. I would love for it to be a decorative object but if it has to be a vehicle, that's fine.

These Files will not import in TSR Workshop. (Import failed - object reference not set to an instance)

I have tried:
-deleting project files,
-adding simgeom to blender (the resulting file will not work in the Mesh Tool Kit)

I still can't import. Can someone either tell me how or make the 3 files for me? If you make the files, they will belong to you and you can upload them as your creations because they will be yours.

Hello @oreonscreamforjojo
This was posted by @murfee on another thread Tutorial: TSRW Instance Error Fix - it has turned out to be a life saver!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Nov 2021 at 3:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladysimplayer8
Hello @oreonscreamforjojo
This was posted by @murfee on another thread Tutorial: TSRW Instance Error Fix - it has turned out to be a life saver!

Unfortunately that's a different error I can't import my .obj file at all. I can't turn it into a package file either
Inventor
#4 Old 19th Nov 2021 at 4:45 PM
Unfortunately that's a different error I can't import my .obj file at all. I can't turn it into a package file either

Hello @oreosncreamforjojo
Sorry - I thought it was the same error when trying to extract a mesh from TSR Workshop.
I have had the same error when importing conversions for Sims2 objects to Sims3; mainly for seating - see my unanswered thread Buffer Error Message . This buffer message occurs after regrouping and renaming; the first error was the one you write about - not being set an instance.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Nov 2021 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladysimplayer8
Hello @oreosncreamforjojo
Sorry - I thought it was the same error when trying to extract a mesh from TSR Workshop.
I have had the same error when importing conversions for Sims2 objects to Sims3; mainly for seating - see my unanswered thread Buffer Error Message . This buffer message occurs after regrouping and renaming; the first error was the one you write about - not being set an instance.

My error message looks different. It shows the mesh of the item I am trying to modify. It fails to import the OBJ file at all.

Error:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JX...iew?usp=sharing

My mesh:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JX...iew?usp=sharing
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Nov 2021 at 5:06 PM

I have tried:
-deleting project files,

To make a decorative version of the motorcycle, what you need to do is:
In Blender, Export your custom mesh as an .obj file (.fbx works I guess, I never tried it).
Start a New Project.
Clone a Decorative object (plants are best), not a Vehicle (sims will think they can drive it, which you do NOT want)
Import your custom .obj mesh into the Mesh Tab (the dropdown list will give you 4 options, to Import meshes as .wso, .fbx, .bin or .obj).
Import your textures--if it's just a mesh edit of an EA bike, I assume you're using EA's bike textures, so you can Import them right in.
Make sure you import a Low Level Detail version of the mesh, too, with lowered polys. (You can lower polys with the Decimate modifier in Blender, and then Export the .obj file).
Then Export your project as a .sims3pack.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 6:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by murfee
To make a decorative version of the motorcycle, what you need to do is:
In Blender, Export your custom mesh as an .obj file (.fbx works I guess, I never tried it).
Start a New Project.
Clone a Decorative object (plants are best), not a Vehicle (sims will think they can drive it, which you do NOT want)
Import your custom .obj mesh into the Mesh Tab (the dropdown list will give you 4 options, to Import meshes as .wso, .fbx, .bin or .obj).
Import your textures--if it's just a mesh edit of an EA bike, I assume you're using EA's bike textures, so you can Import them right in.
Make sure you import a Low Level Detail version of the mesh, too, with lowered polys. (You can lower polys with the Decimate modifier in Blender, and then Export the .obj file).
Then Export your project as a .sims3pack.

I tried this. When I "Import your custom .obj mesh into the Mesh Tab (the dropdown list will give you 4 options, to Import meshes as .wso, .fbx, .bin or .obj)." - I get the error message and it will not import the .obj

I used a planter box. I also tried using a stage prop. I tried a statue as well.

Lowering the polycount did not work either

Thanks for trying to help. I guess I just can't do it.
Instructor
#8 Old 23rd Nov 2021 at 10:23 AM
I'm a relative novice, but I have never seen where you import a mesh straight into TSRW as an .obj file. I know the option is there, but I've never seen any tutes that say to do it that way. I noticed that you object is only 1 group - the item itself. There should be a second group for the drop shadow. And I think the groups are usually named group_0 and group_1 (depends on the object you cloned as to which is which). So I did a test and imported your mesh into milkshape, added a drop shadow, renamed the mesh groups appropriately, exported as a WSO. That imports into TSRW just fine.

ALSO - out of curiosity, I did the same steps BUT exported it as .obj instead and tried to import that (with both groups). That also worked.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)