Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2021 at 8:36 AM
Default Making meals buyable
Hi!
I have been wanting to make some meals buyable from the catalogue, rather than sims having to cook them. This includes group meals and single serves. I haven't found much in the way of tutorials.
How to Change the Mesh/Model of a Mod into a Different Custom Object looks like it should work for me, but I gave it a go and got nothing much.

I expected that I could use one of Exnem's or Wintermuteai's foods as a base. They all seem to have a 'main' part and a separate file for the individual portion. The cookable meals I have looked at are either a single package (cloned from EA meals), or three packages (specifically some SDA desserts). The SDA files have one each for the group meal, the dessert plate and the dessert.

I don't see how to integrate the parts of these foods successfully. I thought I could do a mesh swap, keeping the buy/eat functionality, but with these extra packages, I'm rather lost. Is it just impossible, or is it worth keeping on trying?

Another option might be to take deco meals and make them edible. I am useless at meshing, but can potter in SimPE with some instructions. The meal would have to spawn an edible item, I suppose.

Thanks for any suggestions.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Advertisement
Alchemist
Original Poster
#2 Old 20th Nov 2021 at 5:51 AM
I've been struggling with this again today. Some progress, but I suspect the files are a mess really.
The objects won't show in-game, although the invisible item can be bought from the catalogue. I found this helpful post by Numenor, but haven't found a solution so far.
I've tried to put the custom plate in with the two existing parts. There are also bits of the cookable food which seem un-needed, and I can't be certain I'm keeping the right pieces.

Enough for today; I'm too tired to think anything through now. At least I got SimPE working properly!

Alchemist
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2021 at 8:49 PM
Could you link to or upload the meal you're trying to clone (the CC made by someone else) and say which meal from the game you were working on making buyable?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Dec 2021 at 2:59 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 3rd Dec 2021 at 3:19 AM. Reason: added zip
I put this project aside for a while, it was so frustrating...will have to dig it out. I had decided maybe de-customising the plate would make it work. I've got some time right now, though, so I'll be back...

Attaching - two buyable meals as possible bases, and the SDA cake I would like to swap onto that coding.

From the game itself, I haven't seen the layer cake or berry pie made buyable. Should work to keep bakeries stocked, if they were in the catalogue.

Thanks for taking a look!
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  AE_Food Swap Project.7z (1.08 MB, 5 downloads)
Description: Buyable Salad or cake base, SDA dessert to transfer.

Alchemist
#5 Old 5th Dec 2021 at 5:28 PM
Thanks for the links. Something came up so I don't have time yet I'm going to look into this soon.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 5th Dec 2021 at 8:24 PM
@aelflaed I'm so sorry! I mean to reply to this thread back in November but I totally forgot. Anyhow! Carversims (also known as tarsona) has a mod here with extracted basegame clutter and accessories, including EA food! I'm not sure if it contains all of EA's foods, but it includes many meal and single servings :-) and I think they are functional? Tbh, I haven't tested them yet
Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 5:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vegan_kaktus
@aelflaed I'm so sorry! I mean to reply to this thread back in November but I totally forgot. Anyhow! Carversims (also known as tarsona) has a mod here with extracted basegame clutter and accessories, including EA food! I'm not sure if it contains all of EA's foods, but it includes many meal and single servings :-) and I think they are functional? Tbh, I haven't tested them yet

Thanks, I'll check it out!

I seem to have a talent for choosing things which won't work - my next swap attempt was BO/Inge's bottomless baby bottle. Despite adding in the new mesh bits, in-game you still get the green bottle. And that's with a default for the EA bottle as well! I sure can pick 'em.

Either there's something I'm totally missing in the tutorial, or it's just impossible with these objects (at least at my skill level).