Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 7:49 AM Last edited by Deastrumquodvicis : 26th Nov 2021 at 8:21 AM.
Default Mirror in new object reflecting the inside of the object
I'm meshing a vanity, not my first, but what is a first is that in addition to the proper environmental reflection, the mirror is reflecting the inside of the mesh as if it was picking up a wrongly reversed normal. At first, I thought it was because the mirror wasn't a simple plane, but when I changed that, it didn't fix the problem. The normals are fine, I checked, so I honestly have no idea what's going on there? Is it because the vanity isn't flush to the wall?
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  spookyvanity_MESH.zip (2.89 MB, 3 downloads)

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 11:15 AM
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Nov 2021 at 8:56 PM
I actually fixed that part, but still have the issue.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  spookyvanity fixed mirror location.zip (2.66 MB, 6 downloads)

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Inventor
#4 Old 28th Nov 2021 at 6:47 AM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 28th Nov 2021 at 7:14 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Deastrumquodvicis
I actually fixed that part, but still have the issue.

Hello @Deastrumquodvicis
I downloaded your most recent file and in Materials Definitions, there is no file list info for mirror-reflection, which I think it should have - then I checked using the country vanity table and there is no file list for the original item - so I don't think it can be this.
I exported the mirror reflection from country vanity table to check the location of the mirror against your spooky vanity mirror but something is wrong in Milkshape as although I can see both mirrors, there is only one entry in groups??

Currently the two mirrors are not aligned and I can't move the spooky mirror on its own. You will need to separate them into two groups and then align the spooky mirror to the country vanity mirror, then delete the country vanity mirror group and export the mirror before importing it back into SimPE.
Hope this helps?
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Nov 2021 at 7:28 AM
I used Blender to do the other vanities I've made before and have never run into this issue, although admittedly in those cases, those vanities were a lot closer to the wall. I may just be able to move the back of the mesh to align with the other vanities.

(insert attempt here)

Yeah, that did the trick. Interesting, I'd tried repoing from a different mirror and that hadn't worked, but I guess this is how I'll be doing it in the future.

Inventor
#6 Old 29th Nov 2021 at 2:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deastrumquodvicis
I used Blender to do the other vanities I've made before and have never run into this issue, although admittedly in those cases, those vanities were a lot closer to the wall. I may just be able to move the back of the mesh to align with the other vanities.

(insert attempt here)

Yeah, that did the trick. Interesting, I'd tried repoing from a different mirror and that hadn't worked, but I guess this is how I'll be doing it in the future.

Hello @Deastrumquovicis
I'm glad you have managed to resolve it.
Finding the best object to clone from can make all the difference and mirrors which are usually split from the frame means you can't check it until you run your game - it is only a fluke if I can get it right the first time. :D