Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2022 at 7:36 PM Last edited by denton47 : 16th Feb 2024 at 7:26 AM.
Default TS3 VFX Tool 1.0.9 Beta
This is the same tool as the one I made for Sims 4, there are already other VFX tools for Sims 3 so the reason I published this one is because it can be used to exchange visual effects between Sims 4, Sims 3 and Sims Medieval.

Please note that when exporting/importing it is only the visual effect itself that is migrated, referenced image, sound and model resources must be migrated manually using other tools.

How to edit a visual effect
We are going to give the "zzz" effect a more bluish color when Sims are napping/sleeping.

1. Double-Click on TS3VFXTool.exe to start the tool.
2. Click on TS3 to load the Sims 3 visual effect library.
3. Select the Visual Effect "zzz" and click Clone.
4. In New Effect name use "zzz" again to create an override.
5. Select ParticleEffect Block Index 0 and click Edit.
6. Enter the values 0.15, 0.35, 1 in the ColorCurve table for a bluish color, click Return.
7. Click Return and then Save, the name doesn't matter except you can't call it Sims3Effects, place the package in your mods folder for testing.

VFX Player
The file Denton47_EffectsMachine.zip contains a simple effect player that can be used to play all effects in game, just like Andrews Effect Player in Sims 4. The model used is the FX Machine and found under Entertainment / Parties, it requires the Late Night expansion.

Installation
Extract the TS3VFXTool zip file to a new directory somewhere on your harddrive, Double-Click on TS3VFXTool.exe to start the tool.

If you have a non-standard Sims installation you can create a file named Install_Dir.txt containing the paths of your installation directories, the first line is for Sims 3 base game and the second line is for Sims Medieval (optional).

Updates
  • Version 1.0.1
    • Added support for Sims Medieval.
  • Version 1.0.2
    • Fixed Merge package bug.
  • Version 1.0.3
    • Added support for cloning complex effects that reference eachother.
  • Version 1.0.4
    • Fixed missing ContextMenuStrip in Metaparticle Surfaces.
  • Version 1.0.5
    • Retain selection when reloading main VFX database.
  • Version 1.0.6
    • Fixed button state issue when reloading main VFX database.
  • Version 1.0.7
    • Fixed button states when editing custom effects.
  • Version 1.0.8
    • It is now possible to add new block types by copying from other effects.
  • Version 1.0.9
    • The tool now supports ParticleEffect version 3, 4 and 5.

Links
TS4 VFX Tool
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=639339

Description of the SWARM engine.
http://www.andrewwillmott.com/talks...cedural-content
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TS3VFXTool_1_0_9.zip (325.2 KB, 203 downloads)
File Type: zip  Denton47_EffectsMachine.zip (5.9 KB, 112 downloads)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2022 at 3:05 AM Last edited by MizoreYukii : 2nd Feb 2022 at 4:05 PM.
After opening the TS3 or TSM list, I have to close out of the program to load the other game's list as clicking the associated button does nothing. Is that able to be fixed?

Also, is the tool able to create new VFX atm? Don't remember if you said anything in the previous thread.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2022 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
After opening the TS3 or TSM list, I have to close out of the program to load the other game's list as clicking the associated button does nothing. Is that able to be fixed?

Also, is the tool able to create new VFX atm? Don't remember if you said anything in the previous thread.

It was merely a precaution to avoid resetting everything if you hit the buttons by mistake, but I have put in a dialog now to allow the reload, it will be part of the next update.

You can create new effects and overrides, I have tested both.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Feb 2022 at 10:01 PM
The prospect of being able to change TS3's effects, and import TS4 & TSM ones is so amazing; thank you!

A few questions (noob alert! I know nothing about particle effects or tuning them.):
1) I'm assuming the 0.15, 0.35, 1 bluish color values you provided are from the CMY format, instead of RBG, correct? (I just googled the numbers to see what came up, and got this: https://convertingcolors.com/cmy-co...5,%200.35,%201), which is yellowish, so I'm a bit confused).
2) Is there a public list of all of the TS4 FX effects, the way there is a list of all the TS3 fog Emitter codes at SimsVIP? Or will such a list be provided when TS4 FX support is added to this tool? [EDIT] I'm dumb; I just found out how to extract the codes in S4S's cheat box, and uploaded the list here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/kdlb...X_List.txt/file
3) I've never worked with TS4 FX codes before--do they work with the basegame, like TS3 fog emitter codes? (For instance: even someone without the UNI EP can still use all the FX the codes from UNI in the fog emitter).
4) Where can we find the FX codes list for TSM, please?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Feb 2022 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by murfee
The prospect of being able to change TS3's effects, and import TS4 & TSM ones is so amazing; thank you!

A few questions (noob alert! I know nothing about particle effects or tuning them.):
1) I'm assuming the 0.15, 0.35, 1 bluish color values you provided are from the CMY format, instead of RBG, correct? (I just googled the numbers to see what came up, and got this: https://convertingcolors.com/cmy-co...5,%200.35,%201), which is yellowish, so I'm a bit confused).
2) Is there a public list of all of the TS4 FX effects, the way there is a list of all the TS3 fog Emitter codes at SimsVIP? Or will such a list be provided when TS4 FX support is added to this tool? [EDIT] I'm dumb; I just found out how to extract the codes in S4S's cheat box, and uploaded the list here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/kdlb...X_List.txt/file
3) I've never worked with TS4 FX codes before--do they work with the basegame, like TS3 fog emitter codes? (For instance: even someone without the UNI EP can still use all the FX the codes from UNI in the fog emitter).
4) Where can we find the FX codes list for TSM, please?

1) It is RGB, not RBG, also, the ColorCurve grid has the color names as header (screenshot 4, middle left).
3) All visual effects for all DLCs are stored in the base game files, including referenced images and object models, but not sound, sound recordings are store in the DLC package files.
4) Start the tool, click TSM and when the effects are loaded click Effect list to export all effect names into a text file.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2022 at 10:02 PM
Amazing work denton47!
There is a way to obtain all resources needed for the effect that i'm trying to convert to sims 4?
I'm trying to convert the ep8applebobbing sims 3 effect, but i don't know how to find all model/textures needed.
In the sims 3 deltabuild0 i also found "lighting data" resources linked to the effect resources (appleBobbingApplesA_lightingdata%%+LITE.light). How can i import them in sims4package?
Thanks

AlexCroft - Custom Content Creator
STAY TUNED!
YouTube
Patreon
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Feb 2022 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexCroft
Amazing work denton47!
There is a way to obtain all resources needed for the effect that i'm trying to convert to sims 4?
I'm trying to convert the ep8applebobbing sims 3 effect, but i don't know how to find all model/textures needed.
In the sims 3 deltabuild0 i also found "lighting data" resources linked to the effect resources (appleBobbingApplesA_lightingdata%%+LITE.light). How can i import them in sims4package?
Thanks

In order to find the referenced resource for ep8applebobbing you look in the IID field in ParticleEffects, either on screen or in the exported JSON file, in this case it is the following:

0x0000000000F73201
0x00000000008A80BD
0x00000000008A80BE
0x0000000000F07695
0x0000000000F07692
0x0000000000F07693
0x0000000000F07690

If the IID starts with 0x00000000 it is an object model, they are found in base game DeltaBuild0.package, the LITE resource is part of the object.

B/B Objects is not something I know much about, I assume you use the s3py Blender plugin to import the object and then use S4Studio to export it to TS4 ?, maybe someone with more knowledge can help you out here.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 26th Feb 2022 at 12:18 PM Last edited by AlexCroft : 26th Feb 2022 at 11:58 PM.
I've migrated the apple mesh and linked to the particle effect in the vfx (particleeffect blockindex2 ) ... i correctly display the mesh in the game, but it doesn't move. The apples should be floating like in the sims 3 effect.
What is that i'm missing?
I post the vfx file and package with mesh and texture.

EDIT: Is it possible to add a new blocktype to a vfx ? Like adding a soundeffect blocktype to a vfx that has only particleeffect.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  applevfx.rar (15.3 KB, 18 downloads)

STAY TUNED!
YouTube
Patreon
Test Subject
#9 Old 27th Feb 2022 at 9:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by denton47
In order to find the referenced resource for ep8applebobbing you look in the IID field in ParticleEffects, either on screen or in the exported JSON file, in this case it is the following:

0x0000000000F73201
0x00000000008A80BD
0x00000000008A80BE
0x0000000000F07695
0x0000000000F07692
0x0000000000F07693
0x0000000000F07690

If the IID starts with 0x00000000 it is an object model, they are found in base game DeltaBuild0.package, the LITE resource is part of the object.

B/B Objects is not something I know much about, I assume you use the s3py Blender plugin to import the object and then use S4Studio to export it to TS4 ?, maybe someone with more knowledge can help you out here.

Can you make tutorial convert sims 3 effect to sims 4 ?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 27th Feb 2022 at 9:19 PM Last edited by MizoreYukii : 27th Feb 2022 at 9:47 PM.
@Waronk @AlexCroft If you're interested, since custom VFX for Sims 4 conflicts with each other and means that downloaders can only use one custom VFX at a time, I plan on hosting a community VFX resource similar to Zerbu's (or other up-to-date) Venue List, XML Injector, etc. where creators can request a VFX to be converted and added (if not already done yet), or send their custom-made VFX to be added. It made sense to start such a resource because we can't rely on downloaders to download the tool and merge, and so creators don't have to re-convert VFX that someone may have already done for their own projects. And because I'm gong to be converting all the objects and animations from Sims 3/Sims Medieval and need the VFX for them, I'll eventually have a very large resource for my own mods and there's no reason to limit all those converted VFX to just myself when it could be shared with the community. If you are interested let me know!

@Waronk The tutorial for converting is on the front page and first post of the TS4 VFX Tool! It's the third tutorial, here: https://modthesims.info/showthread....137#post5621137

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
Test Subject
#11 Old 28th Feb 2022 at 2:35 AM
@Waronk @AlexCroft If you're interested, since custom VFX for Sims 4 conflicts with each other and means that downloaders can only use one custom VFX at a time, I plan on hosting a community VFX resource similar to Zerbu's (or other up-to-date) Venue List, XML Injector, etc. where creators can request a VFX to be converted and added (if not already done yet), or send their custom-made VFX to be added. It made sense to start such a resource because we can't rely on downloaders to download the tool and merge, and so creators don't have to re-convert VFX that someone may have already done for their own projects. And because I'm gong to be converting all the objects and animations from Sims 3/Sims Medieval and need the VFX for them, I'll eventually have a very large resource for my own mods and there's no reason to limit all those converted VFX to just myself when it could be shared with the community. If you are interested let me know!

@Waronk The tutorial for converting is on the front page and first post of the TS4 VFX Tool! It's the third tutorial, here: https://modthesims.info/showthread....137#post5621137

@MizoreYukii I see @AlexCroft succeed convert sims 3 effect to sims 4
https://twitter.com/Alexcroft93/sta...746439287488518
Field Researcher
#12 Old 28th Feb 2022 at 3:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Waronk
@MizoreYukii I see @AlexCroft succeed convert sims 3 effect to sims 4
https://twitter.com/Alexcroft93/sta...746439287488518

@Waronk I saw, and I have as well! My first test subjects were some small ones for a trainset from Sims 3 Supernatural. My post was about keeping custom VFX in one place though because you can only have one custom file in your folder at a time unless they are merged. Releasing multiple custom VFX will force players to have to pick and choose between our mods, or figure out how to merge VFX, and in my experience with the community it's better to avoid those situations.
Screenshots

Test Subject
#13 Old 28th Feb 2022 at 3:56 PM
@Waronk I saw, and I have as well! My first test subjects were some small ones for a trainset from Sims 3 Supernatural. My post was about keeping custom VFX in one place though because you can only have one custom file in your folder at a time unless they are merged. Releasing multiple custom VFX will force players to have to pick and choose between our mods, or figure out how to merge VFX, and in my experience with the community it's better to avoid those situations.

When I using multiple effects. the effect does not appear.
Test Subject
#14 Old 28th Feb 2022 at 5:49 PM
Thank you very much for making this tool @denton47. I tested in game and it's work. Also thank you @Waronk for tell me about using vfx tool.
https://twitter.com/Cepzid/status/1498354431100076032
Test Subject
#15 Old 28th Feb 2022 at 5:57 PM

I merged all effects and it works . When I using one custom file each effect, the effect no appears because it causing conflict at visual effects instance map.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 28th Feb 2022 at 7:09 PM
I've migrated the apple mesh and linked to the particle effect in the vfx (particleeffect blockindex2 ) ... i correctly display the mesh in the game, but it doesn't move. The apples should be floating like in the sims 3 effect.
What is that i'm missing?
I post the vfx file and package with mesh and texture.

EDIT: Is it possible to add a new blocktype to a vfx ? Like adding a soundeffect blocktype to a vfx that has only particleeffect.

TS3 uses a shader to animate the object:

0x460E93F4 ParticleAnim
0xD600CB63 AnimSpeed, Type: kTypeFloat
0x3F89C2EF AnimDir, Type: kTypeFloat4
0x637DAA05 diffuse, Type: kTypeFloat4
0x2D4E507E DiffuseUVScale, Type: kTypeFloat2
0xBA2D1AB9 NormalUVScale, Type: kTypeFloat2
0x3C45E334 NormalMapScale, Type: kTypeFloat
0x8286D3EC NormalMapUVChannel, Type: kTypeFloat
0xA6199A70 SurfaceTransparency, Type: kTypeFloat
0xC3C472A1 RefractionDistortionScale, Type: kTypeFloat
0x511979DE SpecularAmount, Type: kTypeFloat
0xF755F7FF shininess, Type: kTypeFloat
0x6CC0FD85 DiffuseMap, Type: kTypeTexture
0x6E56548A NormalMap, Type: kTypeTexture
TS4 has a shader with the same name, I assume this is the one you need to use:

0x460E93F4 ParticleAnim
0xAF758377 UsesTangents, Type: kTypeBool
0x46402CEB AnimSpeed2, Type: kTypeFloat
0xF4DDDE0F AnimDir2, Type: kTypeFloat4
0x2CE11842 specular, Type: kTypeFloat3
0xCEBA7E8A SpecMap, Type: kTypeTexture
0x79C44C9B CubeEnvMap, Type: kTypeTexture
0xDC75C12B OverlayMap, Type: kTypeTexture (Does not currently support Self Illumination, Unlit, AlphaMask, Diffuse x as time, or wind)
0x7FEEA605 OverlayUnlit, Type: kTypeBool
0xF519B57F AlphaBlended, Type: kTypeBool
0xE77A2B60 AlphaMaskThreshold, Type: kTypeFloat
0x0EB11726 SelfIllumination, Type: kTypeBool
0xF34F6897 UseDiffuseXAsTime, Type: kTypeBool
0x61E6C1AB ScaleWithWind, Type: kTypeBool
0x739EF713 Unlit, Type: kTypeBool
Field Researcher
#17 Old 28th Feb 2022 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zulf Ferdiana
I merged all effects and it works . When I using one custom file each effect, the effect no appears because it causing conflict at visual effects instance map.

Sorry, but you're not understanding me, let me see if I can re-word this. ^^; Merging your own VFX works only for you. That doesn't change the problem of downloaders trying to use multiple mods with custom VFX from different creators. If you release your own VFX file with your mods, WaronK releases his own VFX file for his mods as well, same for AlexCroft, and I release my own, that means players will have conflicts when downloading all of our mods because that's 4 custom VFX files floating around, so that's 4 conflicting files they are stuck choosing between. And expecting players to download the VFX Tool just to merge is not going to happen for 99% of them. It's better to combine all 4 custom VFX files (and future ones) to make a community VFX resource similar to XML Injector.

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 28th Feb 2022 at 11:27 PM
TS3 uses a shader to animate the object:

0x460E93F4 ParticleAnim
0xA6199A70 SurfaceTransparency, Type: kTypeFloat
0xC3C472A1 RefractionDistortionScale, Type: kTypeFloat
0x511979DE SpecularAmount, Type: kTypeFloat
0xF755F7FF shininess, Type: kTypeFloat
TS4 has a shader with the same name, I assume this is the one you need to use:

0x460E93F4 ParticleAnim
0xAF758377 UsesTangents, Type: kTypeBool
0x46402CEB AnimSpeed2, Type: kTypeFloat
0xF4DDDE0F AnimDir2, Type: kTypeFloat4
0x2CE11842 specular, Type: kTypeFloat3
0xCEBA7E8A SpecMap, Type: kTypeTexture
0x79C44C9B CubeEnvMap, Type: kTypeTexture
0xDC75C12B OverlayMap, Type: kTypeTexture (Does not currently support Self Illumination, Unlit, AlphaMask, Diffuse x as time, or wind)
0x7FEEA605 OverlayUnlit, Type: kTypeBool
0xF519B57F AlphaBlended, Type: kTypeBool
0xE77A2B60 AlphaMaskThreshold, Type: kTypeFloat
0x0EB11726 SelfIllumination, Type: kTypeBool
0xF34F6897 UseDiffuseXAsTime, Type: kTypeBool
0x61E6C1AB ScaleWithWind, Type: kTypeBool
0x739EF713 Unlit, Type: kTypeBool

I thought the same thing, and already used the same shader... but it doesn't work. Here a screenshot of the shaders used with the same values. Have you other solutions? Thanks
Screenshots

STAY TUNED!
YouTube
Patreon
Test Subject
#19 Old 1st Mar 2022 at 12:40 AM
Sorry, but you're not understanding me, let me see if I can re-word this. ^^; Merging your own VFX works only for you. That doesn't change the problem of downloaders trying to use multiple mods with custom VFX from different creators. If you release your own VFX file with your mods, WaronK releases his own VFX file for his mods as well, same for AlexCroft, and I release my own, that means players will have conflicts when downloading all of our mods because that's 4 custom VFX files floating around, so that's 4 conflicting files they are stuck choosing between. And expecting players to download the VFX Tool just to merge is not going to happen for 99% of them. It's better to combine all 4 custom VFX files (and future ones) to make a community VFX resource similar to XML Injector.

I hope, we can together can convert every sims 3 effects, in order to prevent conflict.
Test Subject
#20 Old 1st Mar 2022 at 11:18 PM
@MizoreYukii are you planning to make community group for convert every sims 3 effect to sims 4. Like @zulf said, so we can work together convert every sims 3 effect to sims 4.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 3rd Mar 2022 at 6:35 PM
I thought the same thing, and already used the same shader... but it doesn't work. Here a screenshot of the shaders used with the same values. Have you other solutions? Thanks

The only thing I can recommend is to compare your effect with TS4 effects using the ParticleAnim shader, maybe TS4 needs more information than provided from TS3, one similar effect could be ep07_conservation_floating_trash_2.

I have attached two text files, one is a list of TS4 objects using the ParticleAnim shader, the other is a complete list of all ParticleEffect entries with IID, you can use that one to search for the object reference.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ParticleAnim.zip (461.9 KB, 24 downloads)
Field Researcher
#22 Old 5th Mar 2022 at 6:35 PM
Sorry for the late response, took a rest from social media. @Waronk @Zulf Ferdiana I actually hadn't considered a community group but that's a not a bad idea. Give me a few days to figure out the steps we'll need to do to get that working and then I'll message you two.

Test Subject
#23 Old 13th Mar 2022 at 3:51 AM
Sorry for the late response, took a rest from social media. @Waronk @Zulf Ferdiana I actually hadn't considered a community group but that's a not a bad idea. Give me a few days to figure out the steps we'll need to do to get that working and then I'll message you two.

Awesome, also my dm always open, I'm currently convert 24 sims 3 effects to sims 4. Then, I will send 24 sims 3 effects.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 13th Mar 2022 at 5:15 PM
The only thing I can recommend is to compare your effect with TS4 effects using the ParticleAnim shader, maybe TS4 needs more information than provided from TS3, one similar effect could be ep07_conservation_floating_trash_2.

I have attached two text files, one is a list of TS4 objects using the ParticleAnim shader, the other is a complete list of all ParticleEffect entries with IID, you can use that one to search for the object reference.

I've spent a lot of time matching every single setting, but no way. It seems that ts4 shader has a different behaviour with the particleanim.

I'll post the files here, maybe some shader expert could help me?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  applebobbing_effectandmeshes.rar (39.0 KB, 26 downloads)

STAY TUNED!
YouTube
Patreon
Test Subject
#25 Old 2nd Jul 2022 at 11:28 AM Last edited by Waronk : 2nd Apr 2023 at 6:52 PM.
I'm currently convert 68 sims 3 effect with @Zulf Ferdiana to sims 4, I'm so happy if someone work together convert all sims 3 effect to sims 4. Include my custom effect for ferris wheel mod
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Sims3Effec_CustomEffect_tList.txt (1.8 KB, 21 downloads)
File Type: rar  Sims3to4effect_WithCustomEffect.rar (7.83 MB, 15 downloads)
Page 1 of 2