Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Functional Fireplaces with Cauldron - Converted from The Sims Medieval

by spherefish Posted 1st Aug 2022 at 12:15 PM - Updated 28th Nov 2022 at 4:27 PM by spherefish

38 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 22 Feedback Posts, 15 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#2 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 1:00 PM
Lovely idea, thank you for sharing spherefish! It's awesome that you included custom recipes along with it.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#3 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 1:15 PM
Awesome, thank you!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#4 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 1:22 PM
This is a wonderful addition to medieval/historical gameplay in TS3 - and the custom recipes top it off nicely! Thanks too for including the stirring animation from TSM; that adds so much realism!!
Inventor
THANKS POST
#5 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 2:41 PM Last edited by echoweaver : 1st Aug 2022 at 4:27 PM.
This is brilliant! I am so excited to play with it in my medieval save. Thank you so much!

ETA: I'm curious if anyone has tested this with Ani's woodcutter mod. I would love to have to use firewood to cook in my medieval game in addition to using it to light firepits.
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator THANKS POST
#6 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 3:40 PM
This is great, and such a neat idea!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by echoweaver
ETA: I'm curious if anyone has tested this with Ani's woodcutter mod. I would love to have to use firewood to cook in my medieval game in addition to using it to light firepits.

I actually have the woodcutter mod in my game (that's why you see those greyed out interactions in one of the screenshots) and while it works fine with these fireplaces, it doesn't replace the modded “Light Fire” interaction included here. Additionally, if you cook a meal using the fireplace while the fire isn't burning, the mod automatically lights the fireplace for the duration of the cooking process.

However, I can add a flavor to this mod (which probably will have to be enabled via Tuning) that would 1. not add the new “Light Fire” interaction (so you'd only be able to use the default one which ani's mod overrides) and 2. would require the fire to be burning in order for the cooking interactions to show up. I think that would fit the kind of playstyle you describe.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#8 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 7:20 PM
Great job! Thanks!!!
Inventor
#9 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 7:33 PM
I actually know how to solve that transparency issue you have. What you need to do is clone the group that contains that chain with TSR Workshop, export it to Milkshape, delete everything but the chain in the cloned group, import it back to TSR Workshop, change the group material to Phong Alpha and then play around with the "Alpha Mask Threshold" setting. This is a good tutorial to calculate the value of the AMT setting you should use. If you can't get it right, PM me the TSR Workshop project file and I'll do it for you.

EDIT: Forgot to mention you should delete the chain in the first group. Essentially what you're doing is putting the chain (and all transparent elements) in a separate group. If you don't do this and simply change the shader to Phong Alpha your object will be translucid and have weird graphical glitches.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
I actually know how to solve that transparency issue you have. What you need to do is clone the group that contains that chain with TSR Workshop, export it to Milkshape, delete everything but the chain in the cloned group, import it back to TSR Workshop, change the group material to Phong Alpha and then play around with the "Alpha Mask Threshold" setting. This is a good tutorial to calculate the value of the AMT setting you should use. If you can't get it right, PM me the TSR Workshop project file and I'll do it for you.

EDIT: Forgot to mention you should delete the chain in the first group. Essentially what you're doing is putting the chain (and all transparent elements) in a separate group. If you don't do this and simply change the shader to Phong Alpha your object will be translucid and have weird graphical glitches.

Hey, TY for your help! I actually just managed to fix this, apparently all I had to do was adjust the alpha mask threshold – I did try Phong Alpha first but it made the texture look really broken and since all I needed was some parts of the mesh to be invisible rather than have a custom transparency, it worked with regular Phong as well.

Anyway, it looks fine in my game now, I'll upload the fixed version in a sec.
Test Subject
#11 Old 2nd Aug 2022 at 11:27 AM
Default what is TSM
Quote: Originally posted by MissPat
Lovely idea, thank you for sharing spherefish! It's awesome that you included custom recipes along with it.

What is TSM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 2nd Aug 2022 at 2:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico1023
What is TSM

The Sims Medieval
Inventor
THANKS POST
#13 Old 2nd Aug 2022 at 9:42 PM
Oh wow! You really did make a version compatible with Ani's woodcutter mod! Thank you so much!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#14 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 1:29 AM
this is really cool!!
Test Subject
#15 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 3:14 PM
Does your mod conflict with the Set The Table & Call To Meal?
link: https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=535651
After using your mod, my "Call To Meal" interaction disappeared.
If you can deal with this problem, I will be very grateful.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 4:00 PM Last edited by spherefish : 3rd Aug 2022 at 6:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by chleochen233
Does your mod conflict with the Set The Table & Call To Meal?
link: https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=535651
After using your mod, my "Call To Meal" interaction disappeared.
If you can deal with this problem, I will be very grateful.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I just did some testing and apparently the conflict is related to the custom recipes being loaded (or rather not loaded) into the game. I'm working on fixing this, in the meantime, do you mind answering whether you included the TSMFireplace_Recipes file in your game?

EDIT: I think I managed to fix it, the conflict seemed to occur because the mod was trying to load new recipes despite no Recipe file being present.

Now, it's possible that even when you replace the files, the interactions still stay hidden in previous saves where the interactions had disappeared. However, I found the following method to fix this:

1. Replace the old files, load your save and check any serving meal to see if the interactions show up
2. If they do, everything's fine, carry on with your game
3. If they don't, make sure there is a fridge, counter and possibly stove on your lot, basically something that allows your sim to cook a regular meal
4. Cook any serving meal using the regular cooking process (meaning NOT in the Fireplace)
5. The interactions should now show up as they used to, even on meals where they had disappeared – if they do, save and carry on with your game. You can delete the fridge, etc if you don't need it. If they don't, please report back to me and I'll see if there is any other way to fix it!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#17 Old 4th Aug 2022 at 12:25 AM
OMG THANK YOU!
Test Subject
#18 Old 4th Aug 2022 at 5:14 AM
Default Conflicts
Hey! Thank you for this wonderful mod I love it very much, though, I found some issues:

1) Is it normal that when my vegetarian sim cooked a vegetable soup, he and is vegetarian wife got sick with the moodlet indicating that they just ate meat?!
2) I didn't see the gruel in the available recipes option. x.x
3) I wasn't able to select the ingredients I wanted to use for their meal. I wonder if it's because there is no ingredient and recipe master lists (?)
I have cook with any ingredients from Icarus_allsorts and their mod you adressed the issue just above installed …
Perhaps it's where the conflit came? (If not, I have a buch of other food related mods installed in my game, so…)
Anyway, thank you again for your mod! :lovestruc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Aug 2022 at 5:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moonah
Hey! Thank you for this wonderful mod I love it very much, though, I found some issues:

1) Is it normal that when my vegetarian sim cooked a vegetable soup, he and is vegetarian wife got sick with the moodlet indicating that they just ate meat?!
2) I didn't see the gruel in the available recipes option. x.x
3) I wasn't able to select the ingredients I wanted to use for their meal. I wonder if it's because there is no ingredient and recipe master lists (?)
I have cook with any ingredients from Icarus_allsorts and their mod you adressed the issue just above installed …
Perhaps it's where the conflit came? (If not, I have a buch of other food related mods installed in my game, so…)
Anyway, thank you again for your mod! :lovestruc

Thank you for your feedback!

1. Omg I actually forgot to include the Vegetarian flag for the Veggie Soup. I'll fix this right away, sorry for that!
2. Did you select the “Have Meal” or “Serve Meal” option? Gruel will only show up under “Have” since it's flagged as a snack.
3. I don't think that's a conflict (unless you also had the ingredient selection disappear for regular cooking interactions on fridges etc) but rather a result of this mod using a custom cooking process … so any mods that alter the regular cooking process will most likely not apply here.
Test Subject
#20 Old 7th Aug 2022 at 1:26 PM Last edited by chleochen233 : 7th Aug 2022 at 7:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by spherefish
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I just did some testing and apparently the conflict is related to the custom recipes being loaded (or rather not loaded) into the game. I'm working on fixing this, in the meantime, do you mind answering whether you included the TSMFireplace_Recipes file in your game?

EDIT: I think I managed to fix it, the conflict seemed to occur because the mod was trying to load new recipes despite no Recipe file being present.

Now, it's possible that even when you replace the files, the interactions still stay hidden in previous saves where the interactions had disappeared. However, I found the following method to fix this:

1. Replace the old files, load your save and check any serving meal to see if the interactions show up
2. If they do, everything's fine, carry on with your game
3. If they don't, make sure there is a fridge, counter and possibly stove on your lot, basically something that allows your sim to cook a regular meal
4. Cook any serving meal using the regular cooking process (meaning NOT in the Fireplace)
5. The interactions should now show up as they used to, even on meals where they had disappeared – if they do, save and carry on with your game. You can delete the fridge, etc if you don't need it. If they don't, please report back to me and I'll see if there is any other way to fix it!

Sorry ,I read your reply again.,and I want to edit my answer. Yes, I have downloaded your TSMFireplace_Recipes in my pakcges, but I will try your methods. Hope my problem won't appear in game again. Thank you for your reading.
Test Subject
#21 Old 11th Aug 2022 at 6:51 PM
Default Pathing Issues When Using Stove
I can't seem to figure out what's causing this issue, but its quite troublesome. Basically, the stove works perfectly fine-my sims will automatically use it. However, after using it once, then can't seem to figure out how to use it again. For example, I was using the stove as a food source for a little dungeon-so the sims down there could have food without me directly feeding them or having to give them a fridge. The sims would make themselves gruel when they needed to, but after making gruel the first time, suddenly the sims wouldn't be able to path to the stove anymore. They would just stand there and complain. I figured out a way to temporarily fix it would be to go into buy mode and move it slightly, but that's of course extremely inconvenient and since it happens after every meal, it just wasn't practical. At first I thought maybe it was just that it didn't like having walls or or other objects too close to it, but even in a big empty wide room it still kept happening. It's really frustrating, because I absolutely adore this and it changes the way I play and build medieval worlds, and how I manage totally ethical dungeons. I do have a lot of script mods (mostly things like no-auto mods or the children can series, or a lot of the NRAAS mods) but I haven't been able to narrow it down to what exactly might be the cause. If there's any mods that are known to cause a problem like this that I might not have pinpointed, or if there's some other reason that might be causing it, I'd appreciate the help. I'm still using it in my dungeon just because it really helps the atmosphere, but I have to be proactive about keeping it usable, and lately I've just been ordering pizzas and putting them down there. (I don't wanna be wasting my hard earned perfect ingredients on them, and I also use the no fridge shopping mod. Now that I think of it, could that be it? I'll give it a shot, but I could have sworn I tried without that mod and it still happened...)

I expect this problem is something I'm doing wrong with all my mods and CC, but if there's any advice on how I can pinpoint what's causing the issue I'd be very grateful. Aside from that, though, this mod is AMAZING and something I've been hoping for ever since I started trying to turn my Sims 3 into the Sims Medieval.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 12th Aug 2022 at 3:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wolftalon12
I can't seem to figure out what's causing this issue, but its quite troublesome. Basically, the stove works perfectly fine-my sims will automatically use it. However, after using it once, then can't seem to figure out how to use it again. For example, I was using the stove as a food source for a little dungeon-so the sims down there could have food without me directly feeding them or having to give them a fridge. The sims would make themselves gruel when they needed to, but after making gruel the first time, suddenly the sims wouldn't be able to path to the stove anymore. They would just stand there and complain. I figured out a way to temporarily fix it would be to go into buy mode and move it slightly, but that's of course extremely inconvenient and since it happens after every meal, it just wasn't practical. At first I thought maybe it was just that it didn't like having walls or or other objects too close to it, but even in a big empty wide room it still kept happening. It's really frustrating, because I absolutely adore this and it changes the way I play and build medieval worlds, and how I manage totally ethical dungeons. I do have a lot of script mods (mostly things like no-auto mods or the children can series, or a lot of the NRAAS mods) but I haven't been able to narrow it down to what exactly might be the cause. If there's any mods that are known to cause a problem like this that I might not have pinpointed, or if there's some other reason that might be causing it, I'd appreciate the help. I'm still using it in my dungeon just because it really helps the atmosphere, but I have to be proactive about keeping it usable, and lately I've just been ordering pizzas and putting them down there. (I don't wanna be wasting my hard earned perfect ingredients on them, and I also use the no fridge shopping mod. Now that I think of it, could that be it? I'll give it a shot, but I could have sworn I tried without that mod and it still happened...)

I expect this problem is something I'm doing wrong with all my mods and CC, but if there's any advice on how I can pinpoint what's causing the issue I'd be very grateful. Aside from that, though, this mod is AMAZING and something I've been hoping for ever since I started trying to turn my Sims 3 into the Sims Medieval.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

This issue was most likely caused by a severe routing error I had not noticed until now. Basically it made the area your sim was routing to permanently inaccessible after certain interactions rather than only making it inaccessible WHILE your sim was using the Fireplace. Hopefully it should be fixed now, however the route might still be broken in old saves where you had placed the Fireplace. I managed to fix that in my testsave by rotating the lot around in edit town mod, you might also try moving your family in and out. Again, thank you for bringing this up, since it was a pretty major bug that went unnoticed!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 12th Aug 2022 at 6:49 AM
Oh wow thank you for making this
Instructor
THANKS POST
#24 Old 12th Aug 2022 at 11:39 AM
I'm in awe <3 I've been wanting this mod for medieval gameplay, thank you !
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 15th Aug 2022 at 2:25 PM
Hi, I love this mod. It works wonders for my werewolves that live in caves. Just a quick question: I have the Ani-Woodcutter mod and I was wondering how many pieces of wood do you allow for the fire under the cauldron to need? Did you set that number or did Ani's mod set the number? Where do I find it in S3pe? I have looked around in S3PE but I didn't see where it would be. Don't want to mess things up.
Page 1 of 2