Replies: 4 (Who?), Viewed: 234 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Oct 2022 at 2:16 AM
Default Texture formats used in the game
Hello fellow modders!
I'm getting into all this low-level modding stuff, and how the game works, and I've come to ask for some information regarding the textures the game uses. I've already figured out how the thumbnails are stored in the JFIF files, but I'm afraid the other formats (the DST compressed DDS files, and (L)RLE(S/2)) are as of yet unknown to me. Since there are already tools to read these, is there documentation available on these formats?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 3rd Nov 2022 at 1:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorantv
Hello fellow modders!
I'm getting into all this low-level modding stuff, and how the game works, and I've come to ask for some information regarding the textures the game uses. I've already figured out how the thumbnails are stored in the JFIF files, but I'm afraid the other formats (the DST compressed DDS files, and (L)RLE(S/2)) are as of yet unknown to me. Since there are already tools to read these, is there documentation available on these formats?

Have you checked the Sims 4 Studio forums?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Nov 2022 at 8:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsonlythee
Have you checked the Sims 4 Studio forums?

Sadly I couldn't find technical discussions over there, that's why I chose this forum as my "home"
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 4th Nov 2022 at 8:30 PM
What are you wanting to know about the files?

DDS files need to be opened with an art program, such as Photoshop, GIMP or Paint.net (there are others, these are just the ones I am most familiar with)
In GIMP I usually have DDS settings similar to this (DXT5 supports transparency, which is needed for most textures) and you will need to generate mipmaps (mipmaps are used for various levels of rendering for the main model and textures)

Sims 4 studio also supports PNG files, which are used commonly on most programs and also support transparency

as far as the (L)RLE(S/2) files, I think those just store pattern data? I could be completely wrong, I've never really messed with them, but I'm pretty sure their coding, not actual images that you can edit

- Semi-active simblr - Daniel Pleasant's blog -
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Nov 2022 at 9:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balverines
What are you wanting to know about the files?

DDS files need to be opened with an art program, such as Photoshop, GIMP or Paint.net (there are others, these are just the ones I am most familiar with)
In GIMP I usually have DDS settings similar to this (DXT5 supports transparency, which is needed for most textures) and you will need to generate mipmaps (mipmaps are used for various levels of rendering for the main model and textures)

Sims 4 studio also supports PNG files, which are used commonly on most programs and also support transparency

as far as the (L)RLE(S/2) files, I think those just store pattern data? I could be completely wrong, I've never really messed with them, but I'm pretty sure their coding, not actual images that you can edit

I actually started making my own CC editor as a side-project and general exercise, so I'm resarching the actual encoding of the files as they're stored in the packages