Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Replies: 40 (Who?), Viewed: 878 times.
Page 1 of 2
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 5:15 AM
Default When Did You Start Playing The Sims 2?
Me? in December 2004 I got the base game, when I first played it it lagged severely to the point of unplayable it took about 5-10 seconds to go from one side of the lot to the other when scrolling due to having only 128MB of RAM the base game alone required at least 250MB or RAM and at least 512MB with any additional expansion pack at that time.

At one time a dedicated RAM computer chip or card was a vary expensive expensive computer component and at one time costed about the same as a modern advanced video card did or does, a in order to play the sims back in 2004 you needed a brand new $1500USD costing computer or more or at least a $1000USD-$1500USD older computer with a $80-$120USD RAM
upgrade installed in the computers motherboard to play the sims 2 but

with Direct X software and with a built in intergraded graphics I think it was still possible to play the sims 2 without a dedicated video card, but RAM was absolutely a requirement for the sims 2 otherwise the game would barely run

My personal radio station link in first post (commercial free and all music) listen with ANY web Browser now enjoy, this is a gift
me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheAngelClassicRocKMix
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 5:29 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 1st Dec 2022 at 2:03 PM.
2004 it was a Christmas present from my husband. All I recall is being skeptical if it could match the sims 1 and I was hooked after a couple of minutes.

Edits lol Shouldn't type when I am that tired my word.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#3 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 7:13 AM
I was a latecomer. I did play TS1 but I moved abroad around the end of the TS1 era and beginning of the TS2 era and it took a while to get established. I didn't have internet or a PC from around the end of 2003 until early 2007, so I missed a good part of the TS2 era, although I did have some Sims app on my Nokia flip phone (I think it was a Hot Date spinoff, it specifically involved going on dates and not much else). But I didn't start Simming again until 2011, starting with TSM, then TS3. I did get the TS2 UC back when it was offered through Origin, but I never could really get into it at the time. I kept trying to give it a go, but I was too used to TS3.

I didn't take to TS4 for about 2 years either, started really playing it in any capacity around 2016. I didn't really get into TS2 until around 2 years ago. The deciding factor was "Do I want to install TS2 again or play TS3?" and then I thought about how long it took TS3 to load up and that downloading and installing UC took much less time, so that was the determining factor. I was very late to the party and boy was I missing out! I got a new PC earlier this year and only just got around to installing it and sorting out my mods, cc, and all the rest. It took about 2 weeks to get everything set up again and remember how things worked.

I really love the drama and unexpected events that can happen in their everyday lives.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 8:15 AM
I've told this story a few times before, but....

I started toward the end of December 2004, after Christmas; in fact, I bought the base game with my Christmas money (and my younger brother's, who asked me to get it in the first place). I spent most of that night watching my brother play it, wondering what was so great about it.

Then I played it myself.

In other news, there's a standing reward for information leading to the return of my life.

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
DM's Boyfriend: "Do we need to talk about your relationship with plants?"
[...]
DM: "I mean, I don't like gardening."
DM's Boyfriend: "That's not what I meant and you know it."
Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 10:08 AM
2005. I think it may have been in October, but it was in the second half of the year.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 10:34 AM
The day it came out. I even had the bodyshop preview before it came out.

Sims 1 was my #1 favourite game of all time when TS2 was in development and I was beyond hyped for its release. I had been following every blog and preview image.

I even remember picking it up from GAME, where I had pre-ordered it, and immediately calling the only person I knew who was as big a Sims fan as me, even though we had grown apart and barely talked any more. She...was not as excited as I was, haha!

Then going home on the bus looking at the discs and reading the paper manual. As soon as I got home I immediately uninstalled all other games - I now know this wasn't necessary, but somebody had told my mum that computers are not game consoles, and it was inadvisable to have more than 2 games installed at one time, so we used to stick to this religiously, uninstalling a game if we wanted to play another. And then installing The Sims 2, at last!! The mini-games while it installed. The message of "Please insert disc 2 (3, 4)"

This is a little embarrassing, but finally getting hold of this game is one of those defining memories in my mind, like remembering where you were when you heard of some history-making news event.

I can't actually remember what I did after installing the game. I remember I spent a lot of time zoomed in close watching them do things like prepare food because it was so much more detailed than Sims 1.

Livejournal: simsfreq.livejournal.com
Tumblr: simsfreq.tumblr.com

Co sleeper for babies/toddlers, and teen career overhaul (also custom schools) Plus! TS2:UNI careers enabled for teens: Here at simbology
Forum Resident
#7 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 11:07 AM
First time I played it must've been when it had just came out. I was staying the night at my uncle's place and he showed me some computer games to try, including The Sims 2. I was immediately interested since my grandparents had a burnt disc he'd left at their house (in hindsight, my uncle has had a huge background influence on my passion for games - I believe the NES I played on as a kid also used to be his) with the first The Sims that me and my cousin liked to play when we were there together.
I remember being blown away in CAS already, and how huge and detailed it felt compared to the first game. I don't recall exactly what household I made, just that it included a chubby kid and how cool it was to be able to pick out his pajamas and such. I also remember my uncle had the game installed in English, so it was a bit of a challenge for 9/10-year old me.

A while after, I'm not sure how long but possibly in early 2005, my older sibling bought the basegame, and that's when I started playing "for real". I played it one time with the aforementioned cousin as well, not sure if this was before or after we had it at home but we were playing with Dina and Mortimer and watched the birth of Pascal Curious' baby. As for the game at home me and my sibling kind of shared it and I was the one who got expansion packs and stuff packs, gradually taking over the game and bringing it with me when I moved out.

I am Error.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 11:42 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 1st Dec 2022 at 11:55 AM.
I think (if you've been following my posts at all) you'll all know when I started. Last night, with Andrew, Gloria, Garry and Julian, we celebrated at 19 Chorus Court, in a special Thanksgiving Meal, the tenth anniversary of Andrew and Gloria coming out of CAS and moving into that little house at the end of Chorus Court, Veronaville. Inevitably it was a somewhat nostalgic evening, but I have to say it's been ten wonderful years. Only regret about last night: when they drank toasts to Andrew and Gloria, I should have got out a glass and drunk the toasts with them.

:lovestruc

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
4617·2^990511+1
retired moderator
#9 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsfreq
The day it came out. I even had the bodyshop preview before it came out.

Me too! I had been playing Sims 1 avidly, and was looking forward to being able to play generationally.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 11:56 AM
I was about 15 in late 2005 or early 2006. I think it was a Christmas present or the result of my begging when I got it during that time. Unfortunately, neither computers in the house (Windows 98SE & Windows ME) at the time could play it. At best it would download and sit pretty on the screen but never load when opening it. I took it with me to my relative's computer one time and I was finally able to play it for about an hour until the PC would shut down entirely (later realizing it was because they had an anti-virus running in the background). So after my time there I settled back into re-playing Sims 1 and browsing The Sims Exchange to read all the wacky stories people uploaded from Sims 2 to satisfy the bug while it sat on my shelf. Since I had prior experience with downloading mods for Sims 1 I vaguely remember having a folder of custom hair and content ready to drop in.

But eventually, I had gotten a new computer at 16 where I could finally play it as long as possible. The game would have bouts of lagging especially when it would switch from daytime to nighttime. Having the dawn/dusk mod helped cut it down. I created a video series off the lag named "Fast Forward" it by dropping in the saved footage in Movie Maker and speeding up the lagged out moments resulted in the music I had playing sounding like chipmunks. That computer however was rented and eventually it had to be returned so I went another year or two before I could enjoy the game in peace to my hearts content with a permanent computer after graduating high school.

Probably what always brought me back to Sims 2 was it's stability (pre Windows 10). When Sims 3 was too much for my computer and took ages to load I went back to Sims 2. And despite Sims 4's pros I keep returning to this game that looks better aesthetically and has nostalgia woven. Oh, and I don't have to create the drama all the time, the Sims do it themselves just fine.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 12:14 PM
I'm getting old and it's all so long ago, so it's a bit dim - but sometime during late 2004. I was visiting a friend, she used to play sims 1 and we talked simlish together now and then so she asked me if I wanted to try sims 2. I think it took us three hours to get out of CAS because I had to play with all the options and marvel att all the new things . We created a seriously weird family, built them a motherloded castle and watched them nearly burn it down, then I had to leave. It took a month or so, then I caved and bought my own CD. I loved my sims 1 collection sso much I nearly felt like I was cheating! I think it took until 2006 before I switched to mostly playing sims 2 instead of sims 1.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 1:48 PM
I don't have a clue, somewhere between 2007-2008? I was late to the game. But I was a simmer sometime before Sims 3 came out in 2009 and was excited for Sims 3 and each expansion pack. I did start with Sims 2 I was just very late to the game. Even though I was 11 when Sims 1 came out my family didn't even have a computer then and I didn't hear of the Sims for many years. I don't remember how I heard about the Sims.

My Simblr
They/He
Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 5:30 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Jan 2023 at 3:12 AM.
Got my first laptop back in very late 2005 because I needed it for school, and also picked up the TS2 games (I think it was BG, Uni and possibly NL) as well. Been hooked ever since, and pretty much bought the rest of the EPs in sequence.

Probably spent a few too many school nights in front of the computer, doing anything but schoolwork . Good times!

The poor thing did after a while have to suffer through 3+ hour loading times because of my love for CC, though.

That laptop kinda buckled after I installed FT, so had to wait a bit with the rest. Got a new computer in 2009 (custom-built, more suited for gaming - at the time, anyway), and installed the rest then. The laptop stopped turning on after a short while, so I guess it was time to change it out.

Waited a bit on the TS3 games, got most of the EPs on sale. I installed it on my newer school laptop (that I'd made sure was powerful enough to handle some gaming too), but it wasn't too happy about TS3 (a bit laggy), but I played occasionally. The last EP (IFFT) sent it into a big "nope", breaking the install (likely a bad CD or some such), and I just couldn't bother reinstalling.

The laptop absolutely hated TS4. Slow, laggy and made the fans sound like a jet engine, no matter the settings. Gave that one up pretty quickly.

My new laptop (the one I have now, after the computer and the second laptop both went quite iffy) wasn't too happy about TS2 for a bit (pink soup like never before), but after fixing the settings it works alright. Runs TS4 alright too (but I only have 2 EPs, can't bother getting more atm). Have tried TS3 on it, and while it runs, the settings look kinda iffy (haven't bothered fixing up the settings).

For TS2 I've used CDs all up until my new laptop. Now I have the UC (I got it while Origin had the free version up, just thought it could come in handy one day - was right, since the new laptop doesn't have an inbuilt disc drive). Also did an Origin switch for my TS3 game so I could test out ITTP, but Origin and TS3 is a pain in the... well. You know where (yes, even worse than with TS4).
Inventor
#14 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 5:43 PM
I'm a relative newbie compared to everyone else! Although I knew of the sims from about the time Sims 1 came out (I was an avid SimCity console/pc player), I never got around to getting the game. It floated in and out of my attention over the years. Finally, I happened to see on a forum post somewhere that the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection was being given away for free. I thought "Sure, why not?" I think I was hooked after an hour or two of gameplay
Link Ninja
#15 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 7:29 PM
Summer of 2005, because that's when my sister got the game. The hood I keep playing has been around since 2007.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Field Researcher
#16 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 7:51 PM
I started in June 2012, after playing The Sims Castaway Stories for about a year. I got The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 on the same day, then got some packs later. Funny story, I first got Kitchen & Bath Stuff before the base game, not knowing it was required! I remember being excited to see modern versions of Castaway objects and recreating houses from that game in TS2, but modern.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 8:07 PM
I started around 2009... Not sure why my Mom decided to install the game and got it but she installed it the day befor and played the memory for a while (We had an old, slow XP pc to that time which couldn't even handle more then 3 Eps...) I came home from school and was SO EXCITED to play that game! OMG TODDLERS! I just had played Sims 1 at that time so that was a big jump... I played for a bit but then I had to do homework I could have played that game for hours! I was 7 at that time so I wasnt up to date XD
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 9:10 PM
I got started on aon ancient family desktop in 2005 with the base game and got to start installing all expansions when I got my older XP laptop in 2007 though I got UC when Origin was giving it away for free and installed it on my current laptop which is ten years old and still running like a nearly brand new computer.I've got my Pleasantview game going and am finding it a lot of fun though playing it today will have to come later after going shopping.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 2nd Dec 2022 at 1:23 AM Last edited by LauraPamplonaS : 2nd Dec 2022 at 1:43 AM.
I started playing it around 2006, maybe. I'm not entirely sure!

The first sims game came out when I was 2 years old, but I grew up watching my brother play videogames and most of the games I like right now are games that he used to play when we were younger. I remember watching my mom and my siblings playing The Sims 1 and I was obsessed with it! I used to play it when I didn't even know how to read, so I just clicked on stuff and watched them do it. It was mesmerizing anyway!

A few years later, my dad got a new computer and I was begging my brother to install the sims 1 again, and he said that maybe we should try the sims 2. I was hesitant at first because I really loved the sims 1 and I didn't want to play other games, but I went to the store, bought it, came home, and played for hours. I fell in love right then and there! I played base game with no eps and no cc, no mods for a really long time, until I started watching sims series in youtube and I wondered where the different hairs and clothes came from

I remember playing TS3 and TS4 the day they came out, but I wasn't very impressed, so I went back to The Sims 2 and never looked back
Instructor
#20 Old 2nd Dec 2022 at 4:48 AM
Kinda late. I got started in 2007 on the console versions first. I had a PS2 and saw The Sims: Get a Life at the video store. Rented it for a laugh, got so so so very very hooked. Soon after, I bought a new computer, and bought The Sims 2 base game. Nearly a year later, I found my way to TSR, then MATY, then Amazon (where I began acquiring the expansion packs), and have been playing since then. I've had some hiatuses because sometimes you just need to do something else, but can't say I've ever really truly stopped. Even on hiatus, I've kept my game installed instead of uninstalling it so that it would be there and ready to go when I was.

I never played TS1 prior. I have tried it, later on, as well as TS3:BG, but I've always preferred TS2. I would like to try TS4 but am in no hurry, will wait until EA is truly done with it probably.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 2nd Dec 2022 at 6:20 AM
Sometime around the year of release. I think it was a Christmas gift of that year maybe? My computer's disc drive couldn't read the CD version for some reason, so I had to get my parents to exchange it for the DVD version, which worked fine. Anyway I was a hardcore Sims fan at the time and was pumped about it. It is still my favorite Sims game.

That computer was a 2001-ish model. 256 MB RAM... which turned out to be a bit of a hindrance over time. Games like Star Wars KOTOR probably would've benefited from double the RAM. The ATI Radeon 9800 that we eventually put in would go on to outlast the computer itself.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 2nd Dec 2022 at 7:05 PM
I got the game on release day back in 2004. Was already a big sims fan as I had been playing Sims 1 and the older SimCity games. The integration between SimCity 4 and Sims 2 was so impressive too -- getting to create your own neighborhood terrain and importing it was so cool! And seeing my sims in 3D for the first time! It was incredible. I still remember how excited I was waiting for the game to install on all four discs, playing the minigame.. ahh the nostalgia! Sadly I haven't felt that way with the release of the newer sims titles. Sims 3 was enjoyable, and Sims 4 has fun aspects but I wasn't as excited about them coming out in comparison to the leap between Sims 1 and Sims 2.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 2nd Dec 2022 at 8:29 PM
Started playing it in 2015 when I was 20. I know, super late to the party. But it's a lot of fun regardless. Had it for a year when Origin gave it away for free in 2014, but decided to finally give it a shot.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 3rd Dec 2022 at 8:05 PM
I started playing around 2008, a year before The Sims 3 came out. I was fifteen.

All's fair in love, war, and video games! ~LyokoGirl5000
4617·2^990511+1
retired moderator
#25 Old 3rd Dec 2022 at 8:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modder
The integration between SimCity 4 and Sims 2 was so impressive too -- getting to create your own neighborhood terrain and importing it was so cool!

That was a really amazing thing for me, as I'd been playing SimCity for many years also. I love that SC4 can have imported Sims from Sims 1, as well as exported terrains to Sims 2! :lovestruc
Page 1 of 2