Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2023 at 2:05 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default cameras
When re-installed game (discs) I needed to re-install my custom cameras. The most important one was the ability to see the edges of the "world" - but I didn't remember which one I had. I found 3 --by GunMod, duhamel and Sophie David . Confused because all said to remove ALL Maxis cameras and replace with theirs - but Maxis has 13 files, and Sophie David has only 6, and Duhamel has only 3. So I installed Duhamel but only removed the 3 Maxis files that his three replaced...still didn't have the hood-zoom camera.
Any suggestions?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Jan 2023 at 3:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
When re-installed game (discs) I needed to re-install my custom cameras. The most important one was the ability to see the edges of the "world" - but I didn't remember which one I had. I found 3 --by GunMod, duhamel and Sophie David . Confused because all said to remove ALL Maxis cameras and replace with theirs - but Maxis has 13 files, and Sophie David has only 6, and Duhamel has only 3. So I installed Duhamel but only removed the 3 Maxis files that his three replaced...still didn't have the hood-zoom camera.
Any suggestions?

Depends how close in you want to get. I use Jessa's camera with a very close zoom for placing hood deco.

lowedeus improved it. https://lowedeus.tumblr.com/post/61...sor-as-you-know

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#3 Old 30th Jan 2023 at 7:43 PM
The most important one was the ability to see the edges of the "world"

You can zoom out with Gunmods Camera Mod and get to the edges of the world
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Jan 2023 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KiraNettt

They all say you can do that, and there was some reason I liked others better. AND (the worser problem) the 2 I've tried don't even do that..I wonder if I'm installing wrong.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Jan 2023 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Depends how close in you want to get. I use Jessa's camera with a very close zoom for placing hood deco.

This camera does a lot, but her pictures and descriptions I don't see the distance that lets you see the edges of the map (needed for sky/horizon placement.
I don't know if I care about all the angles, etc she shows, but do you know about the far-distance camera? I would ask her, but don't see a place to do that.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 1:12 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 31st Jan 2023 at 1:25 AM.
This camera does a lot, but her pictures and descriptions I don't see the distance that lets you see the edges of the map (needed for sky/horizon placement.
I don't know if I care about all the angles, etc she shows, but do you know about the far-distance camera? I would ask her, but don't see a place to do that.

You can place your horizons, skies and cloud boxes in the corners. I do so in every hood.

I use Jessa's camera unedited as I went looking for it and found it had been updated so i linked the tweaked version.

So I took some pictures in Pleasantview since that is a decent sized map.

Pulled back (can pull back even further)
Sky box placement
And close up for placing a bus stop
Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 12:31 PM

I've never used any camera mod, and for most purposes I'm not unhappy with the Maxis neighbourhood camera. However sometimes I'd like to place a piece of neighbourhood deco somewhere where the Maxis camera can't reach. (For instance I'd like to place the Statue of Liberty in the outer reaches of the Downtown Creek. I like to think of our Veronaville as a place that will welcome the "huddled masses yearning to breathe free"). So yesterday I downloaded lowedeus's version of Jessa's camera following your link. To use it do I just replace the Maxis version of NeighborhoodCamera.txt in the Cameras folder with lowedeus's version? And to revert to the original neighbourhood camera, put the Maxis text file back?

Where did you get that 'bus shelter? It looks like just a bit of Criquette's 'bus stop, which comes with a lay-by and bus stop sign. I have been installing these in and around downtown Veronaville, but unfortunately they seem to levitate a couple of feet (about half a meter) above the road level, making it almost impossible to align them properly with the road. For the most densely built areas of my neighbourhood I'd really like just the bus stop sign on its own, ideally with three or four concrete tiles to replace the grass verge so Sims won't have to walk on the grass when getting on and off the 'bus. Sorry to go off-topic, but I really like that 'bus shelter!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I've never used any camera mod, and for most purposes I'm not unhappy with the Maxis neighbourhood camera. However sometimes I'd like to place a piece of neighbourhood deco somewhere where the Maxis camera can't reach. (For instance I'd like to place the Statue of Liberty in the outer reaches of the Downtown Creek. I like to think of our Veronaville as a place that will welcome the "huddled masses yearning to breathe free"). So yesterday I downloaded lowedeus's version of Jessa's camera following your link. To use it do I just replace the Maxis version of NeighborhoodCamera.txt in the Cameras folder with lowedeus's version? And to revert to the original neighbourhood camera, put the Maxis text file back?

Where did you get that 'bus shelter? It looks like just a bit of Criquette's 'bus stop, which comes with a lay-by and bus stop sign. I have been installing these in and around downtown Veronaville, but unfortunately they seem to levitate a couple of feet (about half a meter) above the road level, making it almost impossible to align them properly with the road. For the most densely built areas of my neighbourhood I'd really like just the bus stop sign on its own, ideally with three or four concrete tiles to replace the grass verge so Sims won't have to walk on the grass when getting on and off the 'bus. Sorry to go off-topic, but I really like that 'bus shelter!

@AndrewGloria
When I installed my hood camera all I did was save the Maxis camera to my desktop and then delete the one in the camera folder and drag the new one in. I assume this would be the same.

I had a quick look and it's this default
https://simsantoinc.tumblr.com/post...s-floating-blob It's very nice.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 3:19 PM
Thanks Jo! The camera mod makes a huge difference. I've only used it downtown so far, and I'm seeing the place from angles I haven't even imagined before. It will take a bit of getting used to! It's comparable to the change I saw when I got the new computer and saw my game in high resolution for the first time. I'm in two minds whether I'll play like this all the time, or revert to the Maxis camera I'm used to. I've placed the Statue of Liberty on the shore near the entrance to the creek. You'll see it on the starboard side as your ship sails into the creek. I wish Maxis had put a bit more sea round Downtown -- I can't get a good picture of the Statue.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 6:44 PM
You can place your horizons, skies and cloud boxes in the corners. I do so in every hood.

I use Jessa's camera unedited as I went looking for it and found it had been updated so i linked the tweaked version.

So I took some pictures in Pleasantview since that is a decent sized map.

Pulled back (can pull back even further)
Sky box placement

------------------
Yea, that's what I USED to do - with a camera mod that worked. Don't know why the two I've tried now do NOT work. I replaced 5 of the Maxis 13 cameras (I think those 5 were from Duhamel - I can't read my notes) - still don't have the camera that takes you "to the edge", and when I go to a community lot (build mode) I get a picture of the lot - far away and surrounded by "fog"... Think I am installing mods wrong....?

I would try Jessa's, but hers sound confusing (she added some tilt controls?). But the problem for me is not that I can't find a mod, but that I've tried 2 and they didn't do what I want..just not working correctly. So it must be Me! But other problems now...have a ride to take me to post-op doctor appointment. will try again here later

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 9:25 PM
@AndrewGloria @grammapat it does takes a little getting use to. The first few times I used it I found myself over shooting and over zooming. It requires a lighter touch of the mouse. I soon got use to it though and now it feels normal. Kind of like when I moved from Sims 1 to Sims 2. I think you would both like it once you get use to it. I need that close zoom to see what the heck I am doing quite frankly, my eyes are poor. I think I have used Jessa's camera since 2012ish. I could maybe upload her basic one here, I don't believe it is up anywhere anymore.

As for tilt, yes. You have to hold down the left mouse button and drag it up or down (I think from memory? lol) Might be different depending on your set up. I will have to do it in game today and think about it. it isn't a "oh this thing is tilting how do I stop it" moment, it takes some deliberation on your part to make it do that. Good for checking if items are floating or sitting exactly where you want them to be.

Also this is the only camera that I use. The rest are regular Maxis cameras as I didn't see a need to change them. I tried an in lot camera once and it crashed my game so i went back to maxis in a hurry. That was just so I could try and take better shots of the back of lots for upload. So whenever I uploaded my water park.

Uploaded Jessa's basic camera (no tweaks)
Attached files:
File Type: txt  NeighborhoodCamera.txt (1.3 KB, 4 downloads)

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 11:51 PM
@grammapat : I'd strongly suggest that you try out lowedeus's updated version of Jessa's neighbourhood camera as linked by Jo in the second post in this thread. I've been using it for the rest of the day today, with absolutely no problems, other than my own lack of familiarity with camera mods. If you've used a neighbourhood camera mod before, you'll probably find it a lot more familiar than i did. It's done everything it's supposed to do, including being able to place things right to the edges of the terrain. I know I've only been using it for a few hours, but there has been no crashing, no hanging, and most certainly no pink flashing! I am very pleasantly surprised at how well it's working.

It's always a good idea to make a backup of your game, or at least the neighbourhood you're currently playing, before installing anything new.

To install it just make a copy of the Maxis NeighborhoodCamera.txt in the Cameras folder, and keep the copy somewhere safe in case you ever want to revert to the Maxis camera. Then put lowedeus's version of NeighborhoodCamera.txt into the Cameras folder. If you do have problems with it, or decide you don't like it, just put the Maxis version of NeighborhoodCamera.txt back into the Cameras folder, overwriting the modded version. As Jo says, the tilting is no problem at all. It works just like it does in lot view (except that I found it a little steadier and more reliable!)

Try it and good luck with it!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 2:49 AM Last edited by grammapat : 2nd Feb 2023 at 4:00 AM.
Default correction
Nobody has answered my basic question: am I really supposed to remove ALL Maxis cameras (as directions say) and replace them with only Sophie David's 6, or Duhamel's 3? That doesn't make sense to me.
But from what you said I am only replacing the NeighborhoodCamera.txt, so I will do that. Thanks

=
It's not easy being me...when went to C\\Sims2\\THERE IS NO Cameras folder at all!! I put the saved default Cameras back there. But now..when I downloaded lowedeus hood cam, it is not in the text format, but is a rar file. What the heck. That won't work, will it?
And now when try to downlload lowedeus mod I get a few numbers? and can't download.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 3:58 AM
^ Are you in the Documents or install location? The Cameras folder is in the Documents location.

There should be 13 files in a folder named "Cameras", same folder you find the rest of your saved game files/folders (Neighborhoods, Downloads, etc.). Whether or not you need to replace all of them depends on whether the download has replacements for all 13 files or not. If there's just a few files in the download, you just replace those files in the Cameras folder).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 4:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
^ Are you in the Documents or install location? The Cameras folder is in the Documents location.

(There should be 13 files in a folder named "Cameras", same place you find your savegame. Whether or not you need to replace all of them depends on whether the download has replacements for all 13 files or not. If there's just a few files, you just replace those files).

I'm going through Documents\EA\Sims2\
Now I'm wondering if I can't zoom out because I have a different computer? Used to use Z & X.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 4:05 AM
Should be the first folder (Cameras, Collections, Config...)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 4:08 AM
Should be the first folder (Cameras, Collections, Config...)

Yes, that is where I went. There IS a Cameras folder under C-drive, but I believe that is the Maxis default and the game does Not read that. Anyway I read that if you needed the defaults back, that's where you would get it.

And as for what files there to remove, that's what made sense to me. So I only ever replaced a Maxis camera with a "new" camera with the same name.

Mad Poster
#18 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 4:12 AM
So you don't have the folder in the Documents location?

(If the folder is in the Documents location, that's where modified cameras go - the backup cameras are still in the install location).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 2:57 PM Last edited by grammapat : 2nd Feb 2023 at 3:37 PM.
So you don't have the folder in the Documents location?

(If the folder is in the Documents location, that's where modified cameras go - the backup cameras are still in the install location).

========
Don't know what happened to it, but I recreated it -- populated it with a copy of the contents from C-drive, and replaced the Neighborhood camera with somebodies mod. Not only can I NOT zoom out, but every non-occupied lot now opens as a small picture surrounded by "FOG".
What should I do?!
ALSO: tried to download the mod by Lowedeus (an edit of Jessa) but when I click "download" I just get a screen that says "href.li" I read that is just redirecting - but it never does go anywhere else.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KiraNettt

===
Yes but I've read that his mod doesn't work with M&G or Nopkey's sky fix

Mad Poster
#21 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 5:16 PM
The direct link to lowedeus's mod on Sim File Share is http://simfil.es/1662813/.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 5:21 PM
Replacing all the cameras with Maxis (from C-drive) then installed Duhamel's 6 cameras. Learned something: even though the download looks like a rar "page" it can be opened and the 6 cameras copied to the Camera folder - and I got a prompt asking if I wanted his to override (which is what he said to do). Cameras working! And no more fog when try to enter an unoccupied lot. But I keep finding more problems (like placing horizons or discs doesn't work)

So lets call this "solved" and move on.
thanks to everyone! Maybe prefered Lowedeus but can't download.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 8:59 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 2nd Feb 2023 at 9:34 PM. Reason: Missed out the word "it" !!
Maybe prefered Lowedeus but can't download.
Can you not download it from the direct Sim File Share link I posted 2 posts ago?

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 4th Feb 2023 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Can you not download it from the direct Sim File Share link I posted 2 posts ago?

when i click "download" a blank screen comes up that says "href.li". When I've gotten this before, after a little time the regular download screen comes up. But not with this one, the download screen never comes up.

Mad Poster
#25 Old 4th Feb 2023 at 7:29 AM
^ Could just be SFS having a bad day (lots of those the past few days).

I've noticed if I try to download from the same link several times or reload the page, I get the blank "href.li" link instead of the SFS page after the first initial load of the page that computer session (could be a cookie issue with the browser, haven't looked into it much).

I get the file auto-popping up as an external "do you want to download this file" box when the "href.li" page pops up, though (I use Firefox). Depending on your browser, check if it pops up at the top or bottom in the browser window.
Page 1 of 2