Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th May 2023 at 9:17 PM
Converting CC with blender
So, I have returned to trying to convert CC but I'm stuck on baking the textures, It will not work the way it does in tutorials, maybe it's because I'm a newer version of blender but it's not working and I'm genuinely just trying to learn but I can't even make it past the UV mapping part. Does anyone have any tips? I'll provide screen shots if needed.

Bro, I'm So Tired....
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 5th May 2023 at 11:47 PM
'Convert' implies you have an existing mesh from somewhere that would already have a texture, no? It would help to know what you are converting and what parts it's missing
Any information you have on what kind of mesh you are converting and what kind of CASPart you are turning it into would be valuable.

It's also worth knowing that all previous versions of Blender are available online and can be installed separately. If a tutorial notes what version they used, it's definitely worth getting that version and using it at least until you understand the process enough to translate it to the version you prefer.
I find that it really helps to note down each thing I don't know how to do for a project and learn them one at a time, even separately from my project. You never know when something you did in a previous step, or something unique to the item you're working with, is causing the headaches later. Looking into texture baking and UVs outside of the context of TS3 might help you learn what each step does and why so you can come back to your project armed with the knowledge to fix it.

Good luck!
Test Subject
#3 Old 6th May 2023 at 11:43 PM
i assume you're doing the forbidden lifehack of baking the entire mesh to place uv's into black areas, in which case you should learn uv mapping instead

otherwise what are you trying to bake, exactly? what tutorial are you following, and which part of it are you struggling with
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th May 2023 at 2:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thornowl
i assume you're doing the forbidden lifehack of baking the entire mesh to place uv's into black areas, in which case you should learn uv mapping instead

otherwise what are you trying to bake, exactly? what tutorial are you following, and which part of it are you struggling with

I'm following this tutorial https://mimisapje.tumblr.com/post/1...hing-ts4-to-ts3

I know the basics of blender and if i don't know what I'm doing i just look it up but this just isn't working for me, or maybe I'm just dumb lol

Bro, I'm So Tired....
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th May 2023 at 2:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
'Convert' implies you have an existing mesh from somewhere that would already have a texture, no? It would help to know what you are converting and what parts it's missing
Any information you have on what kind of mesh you are converting and what kind of CASPart you are turning it into would be valuable.

It's also worth knowing that all previous versions of Blender are available online and can be installed separately. If a tutorial notes what version they used, it's definitely worth getting that version and using it at least until you understand the process enough to translate it to the version you prefer.
I find that it really helps to note down each thing I don't know how to do for a project and learn them one at a time, even separately from my project. You never know when something you did in a previous step, or something unique to the item you're working with, is causing the headaches later. Looking into texture baking and UVs outside of the context of TS3 might help you learn what each step does and why so you can come back to your project armed with the knowledge to fix it.

Good luck!

I do know a bit about UV mapping and textures because I have used blender before but I'm just trying to practice with CC, also I didn't know I could get the older versions of blender, thanks for the tips!

Bro, I'm So Tired....
Test Subject
#6 Old 7th May 2023 at 10:08 AM
yep, that's exactly the forbidden lifehack i was talking about. if you know uv mapping, you don't need to do that. they baked ao only to use as a guideline for uv, they don't actually use that texture. you can skip all that and do regular uv mapping instead

the reason you might've been confused isn't just because it's a different version with a different interface, but also because they baked in blender render, which works significantly different from cycles and isn't included in versions 2.8+

still, it's important to learn how to bake. here's a good course: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=P...M_IQF-SASAZBnyi
the first video is the most important, but the rest of them also show techniques that could be useful for making/converting clothes. for example, if you don't wanna manually resize textures in photoshop to fit the uv, you can bake them from a mesh that's been resized to fit the sims 3 body but still has the original uv map
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th May 2023 at 6:20 PM
yep, that's exactly the forbidden lifehack i was talking about. if you know uv mapping, you don't need to do that. they baked ao only to use as a guideline for uv, they don't actually use that texture. you can skip all that and do regular uv mapping instead

the reason you might've been confused isn't just because it's a different version with a different interface, but also because they baked in blender render, which works significantly different from cycles and isn't included in versions 2.8+

still, it's important to learn how to bake. here's a good course: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=P...M_IQF-SASAZBnyi
the first video is the most important, but the rest of them also show techniques that could be useful for making/converting clothes. for example, if you don't wanna manually resize textures in photoshop to fit the uv, you can bake them from a mesh that's been resized to fit the sims 3 body but still has the original uv map

Thank you, I was so confused lol

Bro, I'm So Tired....
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd May 2023 at 6:56 PM
How do i fix this?
So, I finally got my mesh in tsw but now it has no torso for some reason, how do I fix this and what did i mess up on?
Screenshots

Bro, I'm So Tired....
Test Subject
#9 Old 23rd May 2023 at 7:51 PM
well, did the mesh you extracted have a torso?
if you only put a shirt into tsrw, you'll only get a shirt
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd May 2023 at 10:17 PM
well, did the mesh you extracted have a torso?
if you only put a shirt into tsrw, you'll only get a shirt

I believe it did but i removed it lol, how would i go about fixing it, if ya don't mind me asking.

Bro, I'm So Tired....
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd May 2023 at 11:47 PM
just add it back? if you don't have body templates on hand, you can extract the naked top mesh from tsrw, then merge it with the shirt in blender
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th May 2023 at 3:22 AM
just add it back? if you don't have body templates on hand, you can extract the naked top mesh from tsrw, then merge it with the shirt in blender

It's really that simple? Bruh, Thanks!

Bro, I'm So Tired....
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Jun 2023 at 8:40 PM
How do I fix this clipping? I've fixed it on the mesh but it will not fix on the The Sims Workshop.
Screenshots

Bro, I'm So Tired....
Forum Resident
#14 Old 8th Jun 2023 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OhCrapItsTBGP
How do I fix this clipping? I've fixed it on the mesh but it will not fix on the The Sims Workshop.

Without seeing it in Blender, it looks like either bone weights or morphs, or both. Any time you make a mesh that has a garment separate from the body, bone weights MUST match up... then sometimes, readjusted a few times to get them perfect. Skirts are a little trickier. Working as geom in Blender, you can separate the straps from the top mesh, export as geom. Geom retains bone weights, object does not. Use the body mesh only (without the top) as the bone weight reference and transfer it's bone weights to the straps. Then import and attach the re-weighted straps to the top mesh, and export.

Sometimes, geoms will get odd shadows. If this happens, just use that newly weighted geom as a reference for object conversion in MTK.

Morphs are fixed by converting the .wso to object and importing to Blender as groups, then adjusting vertices as necessary in each morph mesh. Export as groups, then convert back to .wso in MTK. Sometimes it converts directly, often you will need to convert to geom, then to .wso. I usually use this new .wso as a reference only. I've been thinking about doing a tutorial on this stuff.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Jun 2023 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
Without seeing it in Blender, it looks like either bone weights or morphs, or both. Any time you make a mesh that has a garment separate from the body, bone weights MUST match up... then sometimes, readjusted a few times to get them perfect. Skirts are a little trickier. Working as geom in Blender, you can separate the straps from the top mesh, export as geom. Geom retains bone weights, object does not. Use the body mesh only (without the top) as the bone weight reference and transfer it's bone weights to the straps. Then import and attach the re-weighted straps to the top mesh, and export.

Sometimes, geoms will get odd shadows. If this happens, just use that newly weighted geom as a reference for object conversion in MTK.

Morphs are fixed by converting the .wso to object and importing to Blender as groups, then adjusting vertices as necessary in each morph mesh. Export as groups, then convert back to .wso in MTK. Sometimes it converts directly, often you will need to convert to geom, then to .wso. I usually use this new .wso as a reference only. I've been thinking about doing a tutorial on this stuff.

Okay, I try that out, thanks! Also, a tutorial on that would be great!

Bro, I'm So Tired....
Forum Resident
#16 Old 8th Jun 2023 at 10:09 PM
Okay, I try that out, thanks! Also, a tutorial on that would be great!

Problem for me and making a tutorial is that I often cannot explain well.
Instructor
#17 Old 9th Jun 2023 at 4:16 AM
Morphs can also be made in Blender GEOM Tools and appended with MeshToolKit's Package Tools, skipping any conversion or TSRW steps, and they will be as pristine as whatever base mesh you start with.
Any tedium of making them by hand is far less than that of jumping through hoops to manage .wso files, at least in my experience. You can also do the Package Tools thing with any auto-morphs you edit, if manual is off the table.

The only step I couldn't confidently speak on is swapping between the bodies when doing that, as my domain is hairs and they don't include any pieces like that. If it can be simplified that much for hairs, I'm certain it can be done for clothes.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 9th Jun 2023 at 3:30 PM
Morphs can also be made in Blender GEOM Tools and appended with MeshToolKit's Package Tools, skipping any conversion or TSRW steps, and they will be as pristine as whatever base mesh you start with.
Any tedium of making them by hand is far less than that of jumping through hoops to manage .wso files, at least in my experience. You can also do the Package Tools thing with any auto-morphs you edit, if manual is off the table.

The only step I couldn't confidently speak on is swapping between the bodies when doing that, as my domain is hairs and they don't include any pieces like that. If it can be simplified that much for hairs, I'm certain it can be done for clothes.

I have never made morphs using geom tools in Blender, or morph maker, so cannot speak to the results, or how those tools are used, or how well they work with custom meshes. ))) I "dabble" a bit with hair, but nothing serious.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 9th Jun 2023 at 4:13 PM

I've heard of the blender tools, but i heard they don't work with all versions of blender, do you know what versions it works with? Because I have 2.76.

Bro, I'm So Tired....
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 9th Jun 2023 at 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
Problem for me and making a tutorial is that I often cannot explain well.

I completely understand, sometimes it's hard to find the right words.

Bro, I'm So Tired....
Forum Resident
#21 Old 9th Jun 2023 at 6:13 PM
Default ..
I've heard of the blender tools, but i heard they don't work with all versions of blender, do you know what versions it works with? Because I have 2.76.

2.76 is very old, and limited. There ARE geom tools for that version, but I have not used one that old in years, and forget most features. I currently use 2.80. I had to switch to it because it was what my mentor used at the time, and it was difficult to understand instructions while I was using an older version. Screen is very different, and perhaps a bit intimidating at first.

Smug Tomato made the tools for 2.8x, but changed her tools a bit for 2.9x, removing the auto seam splitter. On VERY rare occasion, it may fail to properly split a vertices. I know what to look for, and immediately catch it in TSRW, and go back and fix it... on 1 of 1,000 meshes. All geom tools are here on MTS... I think Programs and Utilities? You need to scroll back for older tools, of course. But, I do not think that the older tools for 2.76 have the feature that CardinalSims mentions.
Instructor
#22 Old 10th Jun 2023 at 1:12 AM

I use SmugTomato's plugin, for versions 2.8-3.x
It can seem a little weird having many versions of the same program, but I'd say I'm pretty used to it having 2.65, 2.79, 2.93, and 3.3 all in my modding folder

It's just another option, if you find the other way isn't working out for you. I didn't realise it hasn't really been documented yet though.
Part 2 of my hair tutorial will cover morphs in Blender and hopefully the more clothing-minded creators will be able to translate the steps for their own needs. These days, I don't use TSRW at all.

Feel free to let me know if you want to know the steps in greater detail, as I don't have an ETA on when that tut will be out. Good luck with your creation
Forum Resident
#23 Old 10th Jun 2023 at 2:48 PM
It can seem a little weird having many versions of the same program, but I'd say I'm pretty used to it having 2.65, 2.79, 2.93, and 3.3 all in my modding folder

Not THAT weird! This laptop has 2.67, 2.79, 2.80 and 2.93. Had 3.12 on another laptop. I never really use 2.67 these days, and only use 2.79 for a few animations and poses.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 12th Jun 2023 at 4:20 PM

It's just another option, if you find the other way isn't working out for you. I didn't realise it hasn't really been documented yet though.
Part 2 of my hair tutorial will cover morphs in Blender and hopefully the more clothing-minded creators will be able to translate the steps for their own needs. These days, I don't use TSRW at all.

Feel free to let me know if you want to know the steps in greater detail, as I don't have an ETA on when that tut will be out. Good luck with your creation

Thank you! I'd love the steps in details in ya could! :D

Bro, I'm So Tired....
Instructor
#25 Old 13th Jun 2023 at 5:55 AM
After poking around in an EA dress package, I can see that the body morph is included which does complicate things a little.
You can't add or remove vertices when making morphs, so swapping body parts is a little surgical (pun not intended) to preserve indices. This makes applying the entire process to clothes quite experimental, but I'll detail some steps you can still substitute into your own methods for the time being.

Blender + MeshToolKit Morph Basics
  • Morphs can be imported by first importing a GEOM of your main mesh, then selecting Import Morphs from GEOM Tools. They need to be in GEOM format, which some meshes have while others have BGEOs.
    BGEOs can be converted in MTK to GEOM in Morph Tools > Convert to Mesh. Package Tools > Name Those Files is also very useful for finding the morphs, if the item you're working with doesn't have named resources.
  • Morphs can be created by duplicating your main mesh (CTRL C, CTRL V, in Object Mode) and clicking Make Morph under Sims 3 GEOM Tools in Scene Properties. Name it and link it to the original.
  • These morphs (imported or created) can be freely edited to fit the morphed body, using Edit Mode tools and/or Sculpt Mode, as long as you do not delete or add any geometry. This includes separating parts of the mesh and adding them back together, so you can see why swapping out the body is a complication. Experimental method at the end.
  • Repeat for each needed morph. When you are done, select only the main mesh and export as GEOM again. Make sure Export Morphs is ticked in the save popup. The morphs will be saved to the same location with the name you gave it at the end of the file name.
  • Perhaps the most universally useful step, you can attach GEOM morphs to a package with MTK. No .wso mess. When your CC package is otherwise complete and ready to go, open it in MeshToolKit's Package Tools > Add Morphs to Clothing/Hair. Select GEOM as the source, choose the morph type. Untick both boxes for them to be added as BGEO. Tick 'Add as Morph Meshes' if you would prefer GEOMs. There is no noticeable difference, my personal preference is BGEO when I made an entire set of 4 morphs and GEOM when I only made one for fat (for short hairs). Select File for the LOD you morphed and import the morph you made. I like to handmake the highest LOD and then use it as a reference to auto-morph the lower LOD.
  • For curious clothing makers, I had success with the mesh swap if the body pieces are added last (including to your main mesh). You would import the body piece of all relevant morphs, and if there are pieces to remove that are hidden by your mesh take care to remove the exact same faces on each. They should have the same vert/edge/face count. Duplicate your main mesh (still with no body attached) per morph. Shape the duplicates to fit the morphs. Join each mesh with the matching body piece, taking care that the clothing is the 'active' object so the body verts are added last. 'Recalculate IDs' for the main mesh, 'Make Morph' on the dupes as above, export the main GEOM.
    Because many clothes fit the body closely, auto-morphs are just fine for getting them to line up with the EA body. But if you ever want that finer control, here you go.
And lastly, my setup tutorial might help you get your bearings in 2.8+
Page 1 of 2