Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 8:17 PM
OH, is anything else crashing your computer?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#52 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thesims2formeforu
How much memory are you running? Your new processor and board will take up more memory than your p2 did, so if you did not install more memory, that could do it too.

OH, is anything else crashing your computer?

Only BodyShop has been crashing. I now have 2 gigs of memory, but that should be more than enough for everything, right? :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by sissimoody
What kind of AUDIO card does your older computer have? I had an Nvidia and it kept crashing my game, so I put in a Sound Blaster and all is ok again.

Now, did you MIX the sizes of your Memory? Meaning did you stick in a 528 with 256 chips? For some reason, Sims 2 doesn't like mixed sizes of RAM, at least on my computer!

Hmm, I'm not sure what my old PC had in terms of an AUDIO card.... I haven't mixed my memory; I bought two 1 gig chips instead.

Could it be that my motherboard is SETA and everything else is SETA? Does anyone know if people have had problems with SETA stuff and the Sims2 running?
Test Subject
#53 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LaVieBoheme
Only BodyShop has been crashing. I now have 2 gigs of memory, but that should be more than enough for everything, right? :confused:

Hmm, I'm not sure what my old PC had in terms of an AUDIO card.... I haven't mixed my memory; I bought two 1 gig chips instead.

Could it be that my motherboard is SETA and everything else is SETA? Does anyone know if people have had problems with SETA stuff and the Sims2 running?

2 gigs is plenty. I run the game with University and a bunch of downloaded skins, recolors, couple hacks, etc etc with ONE gig with no significant problems.

Bodyshop I notice IS a serious memory/resource hog.. But I can still use it. Just takes longer to load most of the time than the game itself I think LOL

Now, if by "SETA", you meant SATA (Serial ATA), then to my knowledge, there's no problem. I myself have SATA for any device I could buy that way at the time (dang near everything really) and it really shouldn't make a difference. I only say 'to my knowledge' because I'm relatively new to Sims 2 (finally decided to migrate from still being a Sims 1 junkie hehehe), so if it IS an issue I may not have seen anyone report it yet.
Test Subject
#54 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 9:22 PM
A couple weeks ago I upgraded from a P2 to a P4 processor and basically got a totally new computer. After installing the Sims2 and University, I started playing and everything seemed to be working fabulously until my game crashed and displayed this at the top left corner of my screen.
my computer did that, with the barcode and everything, and i just changed the screen resolution and it fixed it. It might not fix yours, but i would try it anyway.

here is my first upload
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#55 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jezzygirl9
my computer did that, with the barcode and everything, and i just changed the screen resolution and it fixed it. It might not fix yours, but i would try it anyway.

What resolution did you have it and at what rez did you change it to?
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 9:38 PM
Well, if you just changed from P2 to P4 and kept everyting esle in your computer, you might as well change every other thing in your computer. But, if you got a brand new computer with a P4... YOUR ON YOUR OWN FROM ME.
#57 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 9:33 PM
i had it at 1024x768 and i changed it to 600x800 edit: sorry, i didnt realize i was on as my sisters account right now, i am really jezzygirl9, let me go to that one!
Test Subject
#58 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 9:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mischa980
i had it at 1024x768 and i changed it to 600x800 edit: sorry, i didnt realize i was on as my sisters account right now, i am really jezzygirl9, let me go to that one!
here, sorry, it automatically logs on as her.

here is my first upload
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#59 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 10:14 PM
My graphics card supports 1280x1024, so I moved both my regular screen rez and my in game rez down to 1024x768. The game crashed almost immediately into gameplay, but what was especially weird was that while there was serious graphic corruption on the screen, I could still hear all my Sims doing stuff in the background, like taking a shower and watching TV. Ctrl-Alt-Delete didn't do anything except stop the sounds, and Alt-Tabbing didn't work either.

I have an entirely new computer; nothing has been reused and I built it myself. I wrote to the Sims2 EA support people about 4 weeks ago and they told me to update my graphics drivers, but obviously that didn't work.
Field Researcher
#60 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 10:22 PM
Maybe you don't have Direct 9x (sorry if that's incorrect )
It was just a thought, I wish I was able to help you more.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#61 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EternalxLove26
Maybe you don't have Direct 9x (sorry if that's incorrect )
It was just a thought, I wish I was able to help you more.

Nope, I've got that.
Field Researcher
#62 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 10:37 PM
Did you update your graphics card or maybe you should go download that system checker that tells you if you have everything you need to play the sims 2, I think you can get it at the sims website.
Instructor
#63 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mike190870
i wouldnt remove the on board graphics just disable it through control panel-system-hardware-devicemanager & find the one you want to stop using and right click on it & select disable. this way if you have a prob later you can quickly restart using it.
also take a look in control panel-Administrative Tools-computer managment-expand event viewer tree-take a look at any warnings in application & system

i think you need to tell us more about your pc like exact details of the mummy board model & any software installed & other hardware you installed. also tell us about any error logs/warnings etc as in the quote
:grouphug:
Test Subject
#64 Old 5th Aug 2005 at 11:55 PM
These are the graphics cards that the game supports:

ATI Radeon(TM) series (7000 or better)
VE series (see note below)
7000, 7200, 7500
8500, All-In-Wonder 8500
9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800
X300, X600, X800
NVIDIA(R) Quadro(TM) series
Quadro, Quadro2, Quadro4
NVIDIA GeForce series (GeForce2 and better)
GeForce 2
GeForce 3, 3 Ti
GeForce 4, 4 Ti, MX 420, 440
GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, 5950
GeForce 6600, 6800
Intel(R) Extreme Graphics
82845, 82865, 82915
*If you have a non-T&L capable video card, such as Intel Extreme Graphics or Radeon VE series, then you need at least a 2.0 GHz processor

If you have one of these it probably isn't teh graphics card. (hope that helped :banana: )

Help!Ican'tfindthespacebar!
o, wait, there it is!
ohCRAP.Ilostitagain!
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 12:50 AM
Ive been reading back through pretty much all of this thread and to be honest i think it is not a hardware problem, but also how can it be a software problem, or virus if you have formated. There must be something we are overlooking that is staring us right in the face, but i just cant think what. :sniper: here are my random ideas, loose connection on ATA cable, power settings wrong, overheating, broken piece of hardware, virus, driver error. you wouldent belive how hard ive been racking my brain to wrk this out, arghh, im gonna go insane, lol
Test Subject
#66 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 1:17 AM
Do any other programs on your computer crash. Like if you have a paintshop, or some other paint programs, try running them and a couple of other things at the same time. If it crashes, then it has to be the graphics card. YOu may have a bad one. One time I had gotten memory that was bad from Fry's, after I exchanged it, it ran great. IF it does not crash, then it has to be the sims. Your postive you do not have any downloads in it?
shiny!
retired moderator
#67 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 1:20 AM
Folks, I don't have a built in graphics card! My graphics card is completely separate, so I don't think a built-in card is the problem. Should I still try and go into the bios to see if I can disable on board graphics?

Also, the game worked FABULOUSLY on my old pc, even with all my custom content. Now the CC just seems to exacerbate the problem...

You don't understand what they're trying to tell you.. if you don't disable the onboard graphics it could very likely conflict with your Radeon. That could very well be the problem, and it is certainly the best place to start.. as it is the easiest and least expensive. Go into bios as was previously suggested, and make sure the onboard graphics are turned off. Default is generally on, unless you’ve bought a pre-built machine and they’ve configured it for you.

Have you tried playing a dvd? I'd be interested to know if playing a video ever crashes it.
Test Subject
#68 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 1:26 AM
If it was a memory problem, you would be getting the blue screen of death, and the entire computer would crash. And you adjusted the bios settings right? Sometimes the bios will be set for a PCI card instead of an AGp
Test Subject
#69 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 1:29 AM
What kind of motherboard do you have?
Test Subject
#70 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 1:33 AM
How many boards are sold with on board graphics these days anyways? I know I put my two computer together, and they do not have onboard graphics.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 1:31 AM
Have you flashed your motherboard with the latest BIOS? If so, I would guess that you may have got a bum video card and may want to try exchanging it for another one.
Instructor
#72 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 2:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ali_2k
Ive been reading back through pretty much all of this thread and to be honest i think it is not a hardware problem, but also how can it be a software problem, or virus if you have formated. There must be something we are overlooking that is staring us right in the face, but i just cant think what. :sniper: here are my random ideas, loose connection on ATA cable, power settings wrong, overheating, broken piece of hardware, virus, driver error. you wouldent belive how hard ive been racking my brain to wrk this out, arghh, im gonna go insane, lol

:bump:
daftest hardware prob i had last week, was when my pc kept crashing on startup got to log in then just froze. i checked recent software installs once i took 3 attempts to get the pc to run, removed them still hadnt fixed so went to system restore still nothing. so 2 hours head scratching later decided to take a closer look at what lights were lit on the front & found the floppy drive was the prob so disabled & disconnected it. sorted the prob shmae though i'v had that floppy drive for a year & only used it 3 times
:bump:
i still think we need more info on this pc prob before in can be solved untill we know what hardware & software is involved i dont think the problem will be solved quickly if itys anew pc then the problem cant be to deep
i'v built 6 pc's the only probs i had was bios & wrong setting for the cpu the pc just refused to recognise the fact that the cpu was a 1600 athlon & not a 1300 athlon or something like that it was while ago
Test Subject
#73 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 2:34 AM
Mike I am scratching my head as to how your floppy drive is crashing your computer. Your floppy drive should not be able to do that. You have a setting wrong somewhere. Floppy drives are pretty stable.
Test Subject
#74 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 2:47 AM
Hey, someone else is having a problem with body shop too. Maybe the file on the dvd is goofy? I mean, how many of us installed body shop from disk? It was available to download from TS2 before the game was ever released. Just a thougt.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 2:54 AM
try this website...... it has helped me in the past http://www.computerhope.com
Page 3 of 4