Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#26 Old 19th Oct 2005 at 6:54 PM
hm....that's a good question
I take pics from sites with clothes very often and untill now there was nobody who said that I stealed grafics.
and there are lot's of other sims 2 creators who take pics and make their own clothes for Sims 2
maybe it's a good promotion for the clothing sites because the clothes are ingame and there would be some people who like this clothes so much that they want them in real life too.

Visit my site at www.BlueSims.de
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 3:07 PM
thanks!
i think someone on the exchange said i opend a sims2 site and now i got alot of emails asking for the url and if i dont have a site saying i should open one...
can anyone list some online shops with pics of clothes from the front and back? from the 3 listed in the tutorial only one worked...
by the way heres something i made with your tutorial exept mins a teen formal dress when i edited the alpha the straps didnt show but i think it looks better without them...

and heres another outfit i made:
Test Subject
#28 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 6:10 PM
This is a great tutorial! Thank you!!!
Test Subject
#29 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 8:09 AM
it seems that all the clothes that a sample is shown of has no sleeves how would you do an outfit that has say long sleeves especially if the arms are stretched out so the outfit is in a cross formation or bent like hands on waist gesture.

Crazygirl i like that pink dress is it up for download anywhere and if so can you post a link for it

Thanks
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 9:58 AM
ill upload the dress as soon as i remember the where the file is...
and anyway where can i learn to make realistic clothes WITHOUT photoskinning?
i might open a site soon and i cant open a site with only photoskinned outfits
Test Subject
#31 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 9:44 AM
Perfect. And I can`t have a SimPe. That`s really great!
#32 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 5:35 PM Last edited by Absolut-Beauti : 12th Nov 2005 at 5:55 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
Love the tutorial thanks so much!

I have a small question though.

I'm wanting to make an outfit with photo skinning, and I have the jeans, and the front is perfect, but the back is the problem . The pockets are all messed up, and the inside of her legs have black, and as I make it stretch to fit the jeans, the pockets don't show up in the right spot.

I'll show you pictures of what I'm talking about as soon as I take the pictures and upload them .

Please any help is greatly appreciated, I really want to start making my own clothes.

*edit* Here are the pictures.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 8:10 PM Last edited by crazygirl247 : 13th Nov 2005 at 1:59 PM. Reason: sorry... great tutorial anyway it helped me alot...
i think im starting to get better at photoskinning now i need to know how to REALLY make realistic stuff without photoskinning check these out:

the middle outfit with the pink shirt and jeans isnt really photoskinned i kind of put together a few outfits for toddlers teens and adults and this is how it turned out but WTF...
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#34 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 5:17 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 13th Nov 2005 at 5:43 AM.
Absolut-Beauti: Even with nice photos, sometimes it is not possible to simply stretch everything to fit from a photo of a 3-d object to a flat sim skin. As you've noticed, for instance, the pockets are not right on your jeans. The answer would be for you to use some in game pants that do fit your desired mesh correctly as a template and figure out where the pockets belong, what size they need to be, etc. You'll probably need to take the individual pockets from your original graphic and put them onto a new layer and size/position them correctly. Then you are left with figuring out how to rebuild/heal the back of the pants to have fabric in all the places it needs to be. Photoskinning is sometimes tricky business to have come together correctly - sometimes it is better/easier to build your own fabrics and use photo elements only for special bits, not the whole outfit.

Crazygirl: First of all, this thread should be responses regarding the very nice tutorial presented at the beginning of it - it's not a place for 'how do I skin without photoskinning'. Btw, the skins you posted do look very nice.

Secondly, Faylen has several tutorials on this site that take you through the clothing making process, including making your own fabric. Go to CREATE, go to Skinning tutorials. That's what's here.

I'm going to be to the point here - it's not meant as a personal insult - people can't tutorial you all the way to 'master artist'. You need to learn the different quirks and abilities of your specific graphics editing tools. You need to be observant - what do folds of fabric look like - by looking at a bunch of photos of clothing on people. You need to look at what you like or don't like about skins that you see people create. There are tutorials that teach techniques all over the web for specific graphics programs and I recommend to people that they try a bunch of them - I sometimes learn something new that way, and I've been editing graphics for years. There are also tutorials/articles that cover things like designing clothing for video game characters - for instance, I just found *some* here: http://www.planetquake.com/skindom/tutorials/ It probably will help for you to search for other games (like half life) that people can make clothing/skins for. My search term was: "designing clothing skins for half life" just so that you know how I found this collection of articles.

I seriously wish you the very best - you look like you are off to a great start actually. But I fear there is no one simple hand-holding path from here on out - it's trial, error, experience, and constantly being willing to try things and keep learning. Maybe you will write some tutorials with your own tips to share some day
#35 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 8:12 PM
Ok thank you Tiggery.

I really like photo skinning though, and I really want to learn to make my own things as well, because I like creating stories, and I've had several people ask me to upload my characters, but I cannot because I use custom content from other sites, that ask me not to. And I have to abid by their rules because they are doing this out of their own time, and I have to appreciate that *which I do* .

But I'd like to upload my characters with my own clothing, and hopefully after much practice, and patience and seeing a few tutorials I might just be able to do that.

Thanks again for your help .
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 8:22 PM Last edited by crazygirl247 : 14th Nov 2005 at 9:08 PM.
thanks
this tutorial helped me alot until i read it all my creations looked like i did them by scribbling with ms paint... which means i really sucked at making clothes...
you mean theres a site with techniques for making textures?
all i really need is a good tutorial for making textures with psp 8...
got a link for one or a site i can find one on?
anyway if someone wants to open a site they can try photoskinning then editing the outfit to get something more original...
i almost always do that and mostly i end up with something more original than the photo i used...
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#37 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 2:04 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 15th Nov 2005 at 2:43 AM.
Crazygirl, excuse me, I didn't say anything about scribbling. Some people who are persistant have done pretty amazing things with paint, but it's certainly not easy.

Aside from me having given you tips anyway, my comment to you was that other skinning questions should be directed someplace else, in a new thread even - this thread with this photoskinning tutorial is not the place. It's called 'hijacking a thread' when it's being pulled from it's original topic.

I might have misread your tone in regards to 'REALLY make realistic clothes'. It sounded to me like a criticism of the technique that was so graciously shared here, or a demand for better/more tutorials. There's no one way people make fabrics, textures, or shade them even - I've seen a tutorial on the web that made worn pants by using a photo of a brick wall as one of the components (I kid you not, but I don't have the url). This is in part why I suggest you search for a variety of tutorials, who knows what techniques will fit your style and what you want to make.

At any rate, your work looks excellent in the screenshots, so forgive me if I misinterpreted your tone/requests. And if this issue needs further resolve, we should do so in another thread (or pms), and not continue in this thread.

My apologies to you and to Bluesims
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 2:28 AM
Thank you so much for this tutorial!
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 12:59 PM
ive looked through the gojane clothes website..and i feel like i want to give myself a try.i want to make a dress from that website.do i have to start from mesh first,because i haf trouble in making it?everytime i try to make one dress using this tutorial,i got weird results.
and btw,i want to make it in high heels..
Screenshots
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#40 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 3:04 PM
Acid gurl,

There are two parts to making an outfit - choosing the shape (mesh) and creating the texture (the graphic) that goes on it. Indeed, you will have problems making this dress unless you find a mesh that is sort of shaped like it is. (Now there are some websites with interesting shaped dress meshes, but I'm afraid I can't help you with that specifically). Even though I don't know of a mesh offhand, at least you know what you need now.
Wish I could help more.
Instructor
#41 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 3:06 PM
Thank you so much for this tutorial!But I have a problem:in my photoshop (I got the same as you only the newer version) I can't see the anpassungstool.I've searched such a long time but I haven't found it.Do you know where it could be?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#42 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 4:33 AM
She's using paintshop pro, not photoshop. Can you find an English word for us for that tool, or describe what it does? And which version of photoshop exactly (or did you mean paintshop pro?)
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#43 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 5:20 AM
I was unable to translate that word. Please describe it's function.
Test Subject
#44 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 11:03 PM
everytime i try to sav my files it comes up as a psd file how to make so i can save as bmp file or do i need to open in mspaint and then resave?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#45 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 11:08 PM
Try using the export function.
Test Subject
#46 Old 25th Nov 2005 at 8:32 PM
I am very impressed with all the people speaking english though it's not their native tongue... but also i am having much trouble. it is probably me being deficient but i have photoshop and am getting stuck taking the white background out. i will probably need help with a lot more stuff but this would be really nice for now!!
thanks

sleep; a poor substitute for caffeine.
insomnia; a cure to nightmares. my inspiration. my passion.

simply put, i've learned to live with it.
Test Subject
#47 Old 25th Nov 2005 at 8:49 PM
okay scratch that... i still need help with that, though i can arrive at the same results with a lot more work, but i need to open some file before i start working ont eh top, right? I guess its hard cause of the german partly but how do i find that first thing im supposed to open? do i have to download something?

sleep; a poor substitute for caffeine.
insomnia; a cure to nightmares. my inspiration. my passion.

simply put, i've learned to live with it.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 25th Nov 2005 at 11:50 PM Last edited by SweetiePie : 19th Mar 2006 at 9:40 PM.
Nice Job!

Nids!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#49 Old 26th Nov 2005 at 5:38 AM
satans_egghead - follow some of Faylen's tutorials for how to make sims clothing - then you'll have the files.
#50 Old 26th Nov 2005 at 12:56 PM
I will kiss you for this tutorial! Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Page 2 of 13