|TS3:Downloading for Downright Dunderheads|
Download the file(s)
So, you've read about the content... You know the details about it, whether or not it will work in your game, and if you need to get anything else for it to work. Now, you need to transfer the file from the internet to your computer. This is called "downloading."
The Custom Content
Downloading the Custom Content
To start, find the download link of the item you would like to get.
- Only click on the link once. Sometimes if the site is slow, it will take a while for it to seem like anything is happening.
- Your computer is asking you what you want to do with that file. Click OK (or Save) to save the file to a location on your hard drive.
- If your settings are to download to a folder, it has probably completed downloading by now.
- But since we have prepared our download location to stay organized, we shall save it to the folder we created before, so navigate to that
<drive:>/Sims3Downloadsfolder. Click Save.
- If you haven't installed the tools to extract the files, you'll see a different icon than in the pictures. Don't worry, we'll install the tools next.
Content with Multi-part files
If the item consists of multi-part compressed files,
- the objective is to have the filenames of the downloaded files match as in the thread's Download panel
- rename the files by removing the "MTS_<uploader's_name>_<numbers>_" bits until you have filenames as shown in the thread:
- the filenames must only differ by the part? so the archiver application can find the subsequent files to join together
If you are having trouble downloading...
- If you are getting error messages when trying to download from MTS, try again in a few minutes. MTS often has more than 3000 people online, and is funded by donations, so it can be a little slow at peak times.
- If you get a 403 or 503 error, means that you're downloading too many files at one time and are using up all the download slots. There's a limit of 3 files at a time or 3 chunks per file per downloader to give other members a chance. You'll have to wait for six hours when the server reset its caches for you to be able to download again.
- If you're still having trouble, try reading the latest Site News to see if there are any changes that you need to be aware of. Look for notices at the top of the page that may mention downloads being slow, intermittent, or offline.