#13126 Old 17th Jun 2024 at 9:44 PM
Quote:
"Ballroom
-Private theatre ala Marie Antoinette"

The Hall of Mirrors at Versailles!
Screenshots

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Advertisement
Instructor
#13127 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 4:04 PM
irl picture incoming:

Just went outside to take my trash out, looked at the sky, and my mind immediately went: oh, I'm missing my skyline I've been playing too much
Screenshots
Test Subject
#13128 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 9:21 PM
I have been wanting to try the original sims game TS1 too, as I came to the sims from simcity. I wanted sims to populate my cities with and everyone was recommending TS2. It has no functional capabilities with simcity but i am still troubleshooting and playing, haha.
I have been playing for a year, and despite TS2’s flaws and glitchiness and the jumps we have to jump through to get it to work on modern computers, i find i really enjoy ts2. I prefer it over Ts4 for sure. You guys here have been wonderful so far! I am enjoying reading about your simming styles!
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#13129 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eristreams
I have been wanting to try the original sims game TS1 too, as I came to the sims from simcity. I wanted sims to populate my cities with and everyone was recommending TS2. It has no functional capabilities with simcity but i am still troubleshooting and playing, haha.

You could import sims from Sims 1 to SC4:
https://simcity.fandom.com/wiki/My_Sim_mode

Still lots of people playing and modding Sims 1:
https://modthesims.info/f/662/
Mad Poster
#13130 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 6:30 AM
I wonder what Sims think when they wake up one morning and find their house on the opposite side of the neighbourhood.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#13131 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I wonder what Sims think when they wake up one morning and find their house on the opposite side of the neighbourhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPnfuczOWb8
retired moderator
#13132 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre

My sim, formerly living in Downtown:

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#13133 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 3:59 PM
That is a real 'down' town.
Top Secret Researcher
#13134 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 4:56 PM
Or it will be in a minute anyway.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Forum Resident
#13135 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 8:39 AM
Gregory and Lorelei Montgomery obviously have very different plans for the future. Lorelei is DONE.

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#13136 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 3:07 PM
Which one is the blond haired child?
Theorist
#13137 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
Lorelei is DONE.
I missed the second pacifier and really thought that she was in for 20 children of her own!

DJ. who?
opin suomea, kerro mulle vitsi DM:ssä (ja ole valmis selittämään se)
Forum Resident
#13138 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Which one is the blond haired child?

Marsden. When he aged up to a toddler, his features are the spitting image of a Whitney and nothing like Lorelei or the other kids. I wondered if she would go to the extreme of dyeing his hair as a cover-up so I've been going back and forth.

Ironically, Marsden has a better relationship with Gregory than Lorelei because she's been overwhelmed with the twins and her new job as a high school principal.

Screenshots
Instructor
#13139 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 11:54 AM Last edited by Yvelotic2001 : 24th Jun 2024 at 12:59 PM.
I hinted at this last night but I have a newly-discovered love-hate relationship with Sim State University. We were so close to greatness, Maxis, we really were. Interesting lots on the surface like the Sim State Towers and the Student Union, or the 452-498 University Way row of shops, but it falls apart once you spend 5 seconds exploring each lot. I know back in the day we didn't have RPC Launcher to have optimised lot imposters but that doesn't excuse having pathways spread out over multiple lots that are clearly meant to form one single path that don't connect. Bloody hell, Maxis, just count the tiles, it's not hard! If I can have a rather seamless 9x9 square divided over 4 lots that are meant to work as a single park, so can you connect a 5 tile wide pathway. And why is everything so bloody massive and almost completely e m p t y? Is this some sort of liminal space? Why are there like 4 desks total in a library? Did no one at Maxis ever spend just one afternoon studying at their university? Why are the shops at 452-498 University Way internally connected if they're meant to be separate establishments and why is the third one (from the left) almost entirely empty downstairs? And why is the floor everywhere the most god awful carpets imaginable?

Edited to add: Why is there no roof at the Student Union tower?

Nice Rachel we're having.
My Simblr! Now actually working!
retired moderator
#13140 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
And why is everything so bloody massive and almost completely e m p t y? Is this some sort of liminal space? Why are there like 4 desks total in a library? Did no one at Maxis ever spend just one afternoon studying at their university? ?

Remember that in 2005 your average sims player had a computer with 256MB RAM. The lots were made as large as possible to look externally impressive, but were minimally filled because only a few sims would have been there at any one time with the current game engine. Higher lot complexity requires more computer resources.
Instructor
#13141 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 1:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Remember that in 2005 your average sims player had a computer with 256MB RAM. The lots were made as large as possible to look externally impressive, but were minimally filled because only a few sims would have been there at any one time with the current game engine. Higher lot complexity requires more computer resources.

That is... actually a fair point lol. One day I shall redesign the entire campus, but for now I'll take the small wins - one desk at a time.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My Simblr! Now actually working!
Instructor
#13142 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 2:51 PM
You said absurd and my brain said "Pirate ship."

Other ideas:
-Ballroom
-Private theatre ala Marie Antoinette
-Private night club
-Empty white room with 1 piece of minimalist art in the center and nothing else
-Many empty white rooms with 1 piece of minimalist art in the center (google Kim Kardashian's house)
-Have you seen Glass Onion? This billionaire has his sports car helicoptered in to park on his roof even though there's no roads on the island. You could do that with the OFB car display
-giant chess game (I just did this on a park lot)
-hobby room for the train set (my dad had a friend with a giant train room in his basement with wall murals and even a fake sunrise/sunset built into the lighting) or maybe like a throne room for DND campaigns or something

Or you can get into the nutty Howard Hughes-type wealthy, where they have a room full of jars on the floor or every llama item in the game!

I remember how I used to be this ambitious about building a city in the sims 2 with large lots, a lot of sims, nightlife and every single activity the game offered on steroids, basically what Downtown should've been. It took me crashing, lagging and disappointment to realize that Sims 2 is simply built to be a small town/village/ suburban game if you want everything to be functional and not experience errors. I still use Criquettes decor for government stuff, while other lots are small enough for 5 sims (how many usually visit at peak hours) and to seem purposefully small, like those hipster cafe's and vintage shops in real life.
Instructor
#13143 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 2:55 PM Last edited by moonlight__ : 25th Jun 2024 at 12:11 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
My sim, formerly living in Downtown:

When I was in elementary school/early middle school I loved to place my sim houses on edges or right next to water. Maybe it's the thrill of being in an usual place rather than in a regular "boring" location, while nowadays I love cozy "functional" locations.

Edit: I meant to say unusual
Instructor
#13144 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 4:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by moonlight__
Maybe it's the thrill of being in an usual place rather than in a regular "boring" location

Agreed! I remember the kind of houses I used to build when I was younger; the crazier the better. I remember building a house that was a complete maze, where sims had to go through obstacles and even swim in a long pool just to use the bathroom. Whereas now, I'm always thinking: "Is this going to be functional and practical for my sims?"

On other news, yesterday I was recreating a house that had a split level in the inside, which looked fairly easy until I tried it out. First, I noticed that I needed to remove the foundation and use foundation-level walls instead, which worked fine until I realized the room looked too dark and the windows weren't allowing any light in... because the room was technically the short-walled one and I couldn't use any windows in there, so then I tried to add normal-sized walls to the floor and the 4-step wall on top, but the walls wouldn't snap right on one side I tried looking at the video from all angles and try to figure out how the original builder had done it, but I just couldn't figure it out.

I took a break at that point and watched some tutorials, but none of them did what I needed the house to do... so I went back and tried again.I looked closely at the original build and noticed there was a short wall on top of a long wall on one side, and the other way around on the other side, so the wiggly walls were right in the middle. I tried doing it that way... and it finally worked! This was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had while building
Mad Poster
#13145 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 5:02 PM
I tried to build my own house in the Sims 1. Failed miserably because we live on a slope with a garage under half of the house and the back half flat on the ground.
Mad Poster
#13146 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 7:01 PM
I remember how I used to be this ambitious about building a city in the sims 2 with large lots, a lot of sims, nightlife and every single activity the game offered on steroids, basically what Downtown should've been. It took me crashing, lagging and disappointment to realize that Sims 2 is simply built to be a small town/village/ suburban game if you want everything to be functional and not experience errors. I still use Criquettes decor for government stuff, while other lots are small enough for 5 sims (how many usually visit at peak hours) and to seem purposefully small, like those hipster cafe's and vintage shops in real life.

True, but I still think you can get a very good sense of different locations using clever props and themes. Subhoods are very helpful here, rather than trying to cram all the areas into one giant hood.

Check out my thoughts on Psymchology (Sim Psychology) - latest post is on the main six aspirations.
retired moderator
#13147 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I tried to build my own house in the Sims 1. Failed miserably because we live on a slope with a garage under half of the house and the back half flat on the ground.

I remember when I saw this pre-release image for Sims 2, and I was so excited because building a house like that just wan't possible in Sims 1!
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#13148 Old 24th Jun 2024 at 11:14 PM

I'm not sure why this was in response to my post about suggestions for absurd rich people things to add to a lot. All of these could be in a singular mansion in an otherwise empty hood.

I do, however, disagree that Sims 2 has to be a small village game to be functional. It depends on the player, their gameplay style, their computer specs, etc.

I've been playing my current hood for 10 years. I have slowly developed the subhoods as the generations went on and population expanded, and I make choices in my game accordingly to prioritize my preference in gameplay. I play a Maxis match game and don't have a lot of CC deco just for the aesthetics of looking pretty. My largest residential lots are 5X4 and I only have maybe 5 of those. I have dozens of sims living in 1X1 lots. My high rise apartment lots generally have only 4 apartments to minimize lag. Many of my high rise community lots downtown are actually 1-2 stories of usable space and then 5 empty floors.

And with all that *knock wood*, I rarely crash or get pink soup unless I've had my game open for 24+ hours, only get lag if I have more than 30 sims on a lot (rare but usually due to weddings), and most of the errors I get are related to that stupid Maxis school bus glitch where there's no parent home to celebrate their good grades with. My hood won't last forever but nothing will. I currently have 707 playable sims after many generations. Eventually I'll hit a point where I'll have too many character files for the game to work, but after a decade of gameplay, I'd definitely consider my experience a success.
Instructor
#13149 Old 25th Jun 2024 at 12:24 AM
I'm not sure why this was in response to my post about suggestions for absurd rich people things to add to a lot. All of these could be in a singular mansion in an otherwise empty hood.

I do, however, disagree that Sims 2 has to be a small village game to be functional. It depends on the player, their gameplay style, their computer specs, etc.

I've been playing my current hood for 10 years. I have slowly developed the subhoods as the generations went on and population expanded, and I make choices in my game accordingly to prioritize my preference in gameplay. I play a Maxis match game and don't have a lot of CC deco just for the aesthetics of looking pretty. My largest residential lots are 5X4 and I only have maybe 5 of those. I have dozens of sims living in 1X1 lots. My high rise apartment lots generally have only 4 apartments to minimize lag. Many of my high rise community lots downtown are actually 1-2 stories of usable space and then 5 empty floors.

And with all that *knock wood*, I rarely crash or get pink soup unless I've had my game open for 24+ hours, only get lag if I have more than 30 sims on a lot (rare but usually due to weddings), and most of the errors I get are related to that stupid Maxis school bus glitch where there's no parent home to celebrate their good grades with. My hood won't last forever but nothing will. I currently have 707 playable sims after many generations. Eventually I'll hit a point where I'll have too many character files for the game to work, but after a decade of gameplay, I'd definitely consider my experience a success.

What you said reminded of my past playing, including making a fake tennis court, then I remembered of my fake football stadium I downloaded from MTS.

Ohh, so it's possible after all? My game is crammed with CC. Last time it was maxis was when I had my early 2000s PC. To be honest, even if it was physically possible it would be too overwhelming for me, too many families to care for. I like to play 3-5 families and make side sims for them so they don't become related. I love aesthetics too much to delete my CC. To each their own.
Mad Poster
#13150 Old 25th Jun 2024 at 1:54 AM
Oakbook had a few hundred families. Ambitious... and quickly overwhelming. Declining health didn't help, lol.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Page 526 of 538