Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#176 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 1:18 AM
Hi :]
Finally I do my hair mesh, but I don't why this mesh what I made replaced this maxis mesh. Why??
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#177 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 1:27 AM
Fifi because you didn't fix integrity properly.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#178 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 1:34 AM Last edited by Fifi1992 : 29th Sep 2007 at 1:43 AM.
But how??

This is this :
16) Fix Integrity – it’s in menu Tools – Object Tools – Fix Integrity??
I must do this?? Beacuse I don't do this.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#179 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 9:05 AM
Fifi1992 - at the beginning of this tutorial it says that doing ALL 3 unimesh body tutorials is a prerequisite to doing this tutorial. In other words, you should have done them all before doing hair. If you had done those tutorials you would know how to do the right thing. I am not going to go over stuff that's taught in the beginning body tutorials, nor is anyone else, unless you are wanting to hire a private tutor.

Meshing is complicated to learn. There are many many steps - if you try and skip the beginning materials then you will be missing information you need to do other things.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Theorist
#180 Old 3rd Oct 2007 at 3:34 PM
Dr. Pixel and Tiggerypum, thanks very much for these tutorials!

A few questions popped into my head that didn't seem to be covered, or maybe I just missed them:
1. Assigning the 5 vertices where the scalp joins the neck to 50% head and 50% neck takes care of the gap there. However, where the scalp joins the face, are those vertices required to be in absolute exact X, Y, Z coordinates to prevent gaps, and therefore should never be moved?
2. Assuming the answer to question #1 is yes, if you have hair that needs to extend over the neck, face (bangs) or slightly cover the ears, is this when you would create a new group? In examining the Maxis meshes, I noticed some meshes use a hair group mesh that's basically just the bald head and layer other groups on top of it (i.e. the Will Wright hairstyle, amHairWill I think) while others seemed to really change up the main hair group (i.e. amHairShortSimple). In fact, amHairShortSimple sort of confuses me because its main hair group actually does seem to extend past the top edge of the face so that had me thinking maybe the answer to my question #1 is No.

Anyway, thanks to what I learned from this tutorial and the 3 body tutorials, I was able to fix one of my favorite female hair meshes. It had annoying neck and behind-the-ear gaps. For some reason, the scalp-to-neck vertices were 75% head, 25% neck so I set them to 50/50. The ear gap I fixed by importing a Maxis ponytail hair mesh and using Manual Extended Edit to make the edge vertices match the Maxis mesh (ala body tutorial 3). Then I deleted the Maxis groups and saved the mesh. It seemed strange that a popular and experienced creator's mesh would have problems like that. Old tools perhaps?

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
Original Poster
#181 Old 3rd Oct 2007 at 9:55 PM Last edited by Dr Pixel : 3rd Oct 2007 at 10:02 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Dr. Pixel and Tiggerypum, thanks very much for these tutorials!

A few questions popped into my head that didn't seem to be covered, or maybe I just missed them:
1. Assigning the 5 vertices where the scalp joins the neck to 50% head and 50% neck takes care of the gap there. However, where the scalp joins the face, are those vertices required to be in absolute exact X, Y, Z coordinates to prevent gaps, and therefore should never be moved?

Yes, those vertices must be in the exact locations and should never be moved.

Quote:
2. Assuming the answer to question #1 is yes, if you have hair that needs to extend over the neck, face (bangs) or slightly cover the ears, is this when you would create a new group? In examining the Maxis meshes, I noticed some meshes use a hair group mesh that's basically just the bald head and layer other groups on top of it (i.e. the Will Wright hairstyle, amHairWill I think) while others seemed to really change up the main hair group (i.e. amHairShortSimple). In fact, amHairShortSimple sort of confuses me because its main hair group actually does seem to extend past the top edge of the face so that had me thinking maybe the answer to my question #1 is No.

It is OK to have vertices on the main "hair" group that do extend over the joining area - but the joining vertices themselves should be left in their standard position. The only exception would be if you extended the "hair" group in such a way that it completely covered the joining area, from every angle. Or else there is going to be a gap, since the Sim's faces themselves will always have the joining vertices in the same exact locations.

The real reason for adding more groups is so that you can have transparent layers - layers where you can look "through" areas of the hair to see the face and scalp below, like strands of hair. Transparency is not possible on the "hair" group, that group will alpha to flesh color rather than transparent.

Quote:
Anyway, thanks to what I learned from this tutorial and the 3 body tutorials, I was able to fix one of my favorite female hair meshes. It had annoying neck and behind-the-ear gaps. For some reason, the scalp-to-neck vertices were 75% head, 25% neck so I set them to 50/50. The ear gap I fixed by importing a Maxis ponytail hair mesh and using Manual Extended Edit to make the edge vertices match the Maxis mesh (ala body tutorial 3). Then I deleted the Maxis groups and saved the mesh. It seemed strange that a popular and experienced creator's mesh would have problems like that. Old tools perhaps?

Yes, that is certainly possible. There was a time when it was impossible to do multiple assignments to hair meshes at all - BTW, the 50 - 50 assignments at the back of the neck only apply for teen and adult - those on a child hair mesh are somewhat different as I recall - or maybe it's the toddlers... If ever in doubt, check the assignments of a Maxis mesh for the same age group.
Lab Assistant
#182 Old 4th Oct 2007 at 12:28 AM
I thought this would be easier but I found an easier one but it didn't go in dept. Mostly how to make buns, really easy! I try this one once I find out how many stamps it takes to ship the registration form for Milkshape?! I'm really upset it's not fair stupid U.S. Postal Service!

Emo's say 'yay'... just with a dead
I'm now playing and making stuff for Sims 3 so I'll give my name: Tempting_Fate nothing up at moment. Still getting used to it.
Lab Assistant
#183 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 1:04 AM
I have completed successfuly the other tutorials for bodyshop meshing but everytime I try do this one for some reason it just does not work.
I can get to the point where i can get in to milkshape and make my mesh and then do all the stuff required in simpe.
but when I go to view my mesh, it never works, it just shows the original maxis hair and does not show my modifications. what could I be missing?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#184 Old 19th Oct 2007 at 7:07 PM
rosaline_10 -- hair is fairly complicated in the 'linking' part -- perhaps you are not linking the adult hair to your mesh? Did you check all the ages to see if your new hair is showing up on some other age?

Lab Assistant
#185 Old 20th Oct 2007 at 3:37 AM
hi tiggerypum thanks for your reply, yep i have checked all the ages, but it does not show up on any of them.
the strange thing also is, that im only making the hair mesh for females of all age groups, yet when i go in to bodyshop or the game it shows up for all ages and genders (but still does not show my modifications)
could this be a linking issue?
Lab Assistant
#186 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 2:28 AM
ok i fixed it, it was a linking issue,thanks anyway
Test Subject
#187 Old 29th Oct 2007 at 11:57 PM
Suggestion?
Is there any way to put a video explaination of this up on Youtube? I've tried following the directions, but I'm confused on....well....probably just about everything on this tutorial I'm sorry, not that big of a computer programer I guess.
I'm a big fan of making different hair styles, but i think that putting a video explaination of this would increase a better understanding on how to actually use the program.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#188 Old 30th Oct 2007 at 5:25 AM
CometMoon - you need to start with the unimesh body tutorial #1.
It comes with pictures of almost every step. Then do #2, which has pictures of the new steps. Then do #3.

Lab Assistant
#189 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 5:12 PM
Great tuturial. I'm struggleing with finding the GMDC. I've followed all the steps explained and still can't find it. Its possible that becasue I'm trying to edit a custom mesh (I do have permission). Will all custom hair meshes have maxis base meshs? Is it worth working from that?

Being dyslexic I'm easierly confused.

I'm hoping to build a hair mesh for my Sephiroth featured in the create forum. Hes my learning project. Any help is greatly appriated. S xx
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#190 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 12:51 AM
Sephirayne - then all the parts would be in the hair mesh file that you have. Did you do the unimesh 1, 2, and 3 tutorials? If not, I strongly suggest doing them as written, they cover a lot of what you'll need to know to edit that hair.

Lab Assistant
#191 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 7:11 PM
Tiggerypum, Yes I did. It was how I was able to complete the clothing for my one winged angel Sephiroth sims in the 'creater feedback' section. I will go over them again just to make sure that I have missed anything or messed up somewhere. I really want to give my Seph sim custom hair that I've created. Thanks
Test Subject
#192 Old 12th Nov 2007 at 7:50 AM
WOOT!@!! I have battled over making a hair mesh for the past MONTH. Now it's finally showing up, and I am doing the happy dance of love for all you guys.
Now, can someone point me the way to designing new alpha's. Cos MAN, the guy's got some skin showing through.

I love you all. *sniff*. And I am never making another mesh again.
Test Subject
#193 Old 28th Dec 2007 at 12:59 PM
Great Tutorial!!! I am meshing for a long time and it works well (body meshing). But I have a little problem with meshing hair. The mesh show up in Body Shop as I do not use Fix Integrity. But then it replace the maxis mesh too. If I use Fix Integrity my mesh does not show up. I did exactly what the tutorial said. I do not get what I have done wrong. I do not why my mesh does not show up if I use the Fix Integrity.
What I have to do?? What I have done wrong??

(Sorry for my bad word choice and sentence. English is not my best language. I am dyslexic too.)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#194 Old 13th Jan 2008 at 5:49 PM
Well, it looks like the mesh you used to start with didn't have the right number of alpha groups - you still have the hat-and-ponytail thumbnail showing for that hair selected, and I'm sure that wouldn't have enough alpha groups. You need to use a hair to start with that has at least as many alpha groups as the hair you want to convert - if it has more, that's fine - you don't have to use all of them, but it can't have less. Also, please post questions not directly related to this tutorial (like conversions and stuff) in their own thread in the BS Meshing forum. If you're not doing the project in the tutorial, that can go on its own thread so we don't get things not directly related to the tutorial mixed up in here.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#195 Old 13th Jan 2008 at 8:41 PM
This tutorial is wonderful and very helpful, thank you! My question is if, let's say, I want to take a maxis hair and extend the bangs or the length or something to that effect, how would I go about doing that?
Test Subject
#196 Old 14th Jan 2008 at 11:38 AM Last edited by tetuo : 14th Jan 2008 at 11:44 AM.
Thank you, HystericalParoxysm.
I'm sorry to have troubled you.
Lab Assistant
#197 Old 21st Jan 2008 at 9:15 PM
I am having a problem in regards to assigning the 5 vertices for the neck. When I go to use Unimesh Bone Tool, the neck doesn't show up for me to "commit". It only displays the head. Attached is a photo.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#198 Old 21st Jan 2008 at 10:44 PM
You have to select the 'neck' in the second box of the column marked "Bone Index'. Click on the up arrow until you get to it (I think it is number 6, though). Then click 'Apply to All' and the "Commit All'.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
#199 Old 21st Jan 2008 at 11:04 PM
Thanks for the fast reply Wes. I feel like a n00b.
Alchemist
#200 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 3:07 AM
I dodn't think it was n00bish. The program could have better labels for the boxes, but then longer labels take up more space. Tutorials are where you learn new things. If everybody already knew this stuff, what would we need tutorials for?

I am looking forward to seeing one of your creations in downloads one of these days.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Page 8 of 10