Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#201 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wes_h
I dodn't think it was n00bish. The program could have better labels for the boxes, but then longer labels take up more space. Tutorials are where you learn new things. If everybody already knew this stuff, what would we need tutorials for?

I am looking forward to seeing one of your creations in downloads one of these days.

<* Wes *>

I imagine like all things, there is a learning curve to this. Just like I taught myself how to use Photoshop by doing as many tutorials as I could, I'll familarize myself with Milkshape and hopefully bust out some decent meshes.

My current hair project is coming along ok. I can only tolerate working on it for about 2 hours and then I need a break as my level of frustration reaches it's peak. So, maybe it will be done in 1 month's time.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#202 Old 9th Feb 2008 at 4:52 AM
Sticking my head in here again, to ask what I am afraid will be a stoopid question.
I've done my mesh, it's showing correctly. I did a recolour, and spent ages doing the *perfect* texture, but when it displays in BodyShop, it's all stretched and enlarged and looks like doodoo.
Would this have something do with the fact I didn't re-map the UV?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#203 Old 9th Feb 2008 at 5:03 AM
Yes, that's likely why - sounds like you probably just pulled down the edges of the hair g and didn't readjust the uv map to match. You can probably leave the bottom row of vertices where they are and then just pull down on each row above it somewhat to even out the mapping on the area of the mesh you modified. Then you'd still be able to use your existing texture without too much changing of it, and, well, textures will just look better in general.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#204 Old 9th Feb 2008 at 5:20 AM
thanks HP. The quick response is much appreciated. It's raining here, and I gots nothin' to do but drink vodka, ignore the kids and re-map vertices...
Test Subject
#205 Old 18th Feb 2008 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Well, it looks like the mesh you used to start with didn't have the right number of alpha groups - you still have the hat-and-ponytail thumbnail showing for that hair selected, and I'm sure that wouldn't have enough alpha groups. You need to use a hair to start with that has at least as many alpha groups as the hair you want to convert - if it has more, that's fine - you don't have to use all of them, but it can't have less. Also, please post questions not directly related to this tutorial (like conversions and stuff) in their own thread in the BS Meshing forum. If you're not doing the project in the tutorial, that can go on its own thread so we don't get things not directly related to the tutorial mixed up in here.

I'm sorry but I did follow this tutorial (with the ponytail!!!) and I have problems with that. The ponytail didn't show up (in the right way). I didn't mixed up anything .
Test Subject
#206 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 4:24 PM
help pleaseee
i made everything in the tutorial, but when i start the body shop, i saw that nothing happened with the hair, it continues the samething as before
Test Subject
#207 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 5:57 AM
Me too.
Test Subject
#208 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 10:06 PM
I have the same problem. But when I do it at an wrong way the maxis mesh and my own mesh are changed. And that isn't what I want.
Test Subject
#209 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 1:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
This thread is strictly for questions about the UniMesh hair mesh editing tutorial found here:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=158048

Please keep the questions related to things covered in that tutorial.

Off-topic questions will be ignored, post them in their own threads.

I got a bit confused during the linking them to adult, yound adult Ect. Do i HAVE to link them?
Alchemist
#210 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 3:20 AM
Only if you want your work to be visible.

You can leave them unlinked if you like... that way, the game looks the same whether your file is in downloads or not.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
#211 Old 2nd Jun 2008 at 1:17 AM
Ok, I did the body meshing tutorials and came up with three worderful clothing meshes. I went to do the pony tail tutorial and followed everything, but when I finished and loaded up BS, nothing happened to the mesh. It was as if everything I did was a waste of time and brain energy. I don't get what happened; and it seemed so easy too! Another thing, was it suppose to show up with the blond hair, or with the custom hairs (under the star thingy)?
Test Subject
#212 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 2:27 PM
Hey I tried to follow this tutorial to make long facial hair as i couldnt find a tutorial on it and i had a problem. i couldnt find the property set. can someone help me out or direct me to an appropriate tutorial. i am a severe noob :P
Lab Assistant
#213 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GavCee123
Hey I tried to follow this tutorial to make long facial hair as i couldnt find a tutorial on it and i had a problem. i couldnt find the property set. can someone help me out or direct me to an appropriate tutorial. i am a severe noob :P

Under where it says Resource Tree (in the left window) make sure "All Resources" is selected, then look down the list and you should see property set below "Material Definition". You'll click on it once and look over to the right window and you'll find the color files. (It would be something like this "afhairponytailhigh_grey")
Test Subject
#214 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 12:46 PM
i really need some help, i got lost after "Export it as a BodyShop project, then import it back into the game with no changes. Close BodyShop, then go to your Saved Sims folder and copy the new .package file into the work folder." i dont understand how to "Next, create a new mesh .package for the adult version of the mesh, and link it up to the BodyShop .package" i checked the site that was given to explain it but i still dont understand...
Test Subject
#215 Old 15th Oct 2008 at 11:01 AM
I had managed to make a hair mesh few months ago and I have tried again. This time,whenever I open the mesh after making it in SimPE it shows me another Maxis hair instead,I mean,after replacing the resource node and the shape files in the package.
I saved the MESH file in Downloads folder with the new name
I deleted the shape and the cres from the package file
I saved the new package file in the SAVED SIMS folder
but it always wheighs a few KB less than the original one.
I try to link up to the adult female only because the young adult hair is different from the adult hair.
Test Subject
#216 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 5:54 PM
very good tutorial! helped me to create a few hairstyles.
but sometimes the "hair"group seems to be wrong because it doesn't show the skin underneath it. you know what i mean?
looks like this.

but i don't know why this happens because i have created hairstyles that don't have this mistake...
can someone please help me?
Lab Assistant
#217 Old 12th Nov 2008 at 11:15 PM
Hi
I don't know, if anyone posted this problem yet.
Well, always when I do this steps:

1} Set the Weight of the first assignment to 100%
2} Set the Bone to 7 (head)
3} Click [Commit]
4} Click [Apply To All]
5} Click [Commit All]

my milkshape closes suddenly, when I set the first assignment to 100%...
Test Subject
#218 Old 24th Dec 2008 at 1:59 PM
Thankyou sooooo much for this tutorial! I've finally created my first hair mesh! I'm so happy now =D
Field Researcher
#219 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 1:54 PM
Is there anyway to create meshes without the uses of SimPE, and milkshape?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#220 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 2:49 PM
kriskty - Without Milkshape, maybe - there are other methods besides using Unimesh (like the SMD format, and the Meshtool) which might allow you to use another program. But either way it's going to be at least this complicated - hair meshing is not an easy process, nor is it for people who want something quick and simple. It's complicated and can be quite difficult. And there is definitely no way to do this without SimPE.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#221 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 9:56 PM
I'm so confused !
Hi everyone ! I'm very sorry if I'm not posting my question on the good thread but I can't find the right one. It seems I'm the only one who got this problem! Here is the thing : I'm a begginner into modding my sims 2 game and I started with basic things like creating careers and recoloring hair and clothes. For this, it's okay. BUT (here comes the ''BUT''!!!) Now I'm wondering how to create meshes to make my own hairstyles. I read many tutorials but everything is about creating clothes (which I was able to do with NeptuneSuzy's tutorial). My question is how can I extract infos (shape, ressource node, geometric data etc) to be able to create my package and go to the next step (which I can handle). The beginning is missing!

So can someone tell me how to do it or which tutorial I should read to proceed cause I've read many and now I'm completely lost! Please help meeee

Kind regards to all simmers!
Test Subject
#222 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 4:39 PM
I only got one question; how do I make my hair at the "back" side appeared? 'Cause I make my first hair mesh and when I was import the mesh into BodyShop, part of the hair is invisible.

Here's a few screenshots that I took below and hope you can help me.

Oh yeah, I unchecked "Draw Backface" at MS3D, and it shows just like in TS2 BodyShop, but how do I make them appear in the game?
Screenshots
Banned
#223 Old 2nd May 2011 at 3:36 AM
I am at the milkshape editing part then bone tool

when i change it to 100 my computer's muse dont move and milkshape suddenly says milkshape is not responding then it quit auto
its in the first place (Not Registered)
now I registered it
but its still the same prob but it works in clothing meshes i even finished 5 of em
Test Subject
#224 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 2:46 AM
HELP! everytime I did the linking and the creating a mesh right, after replacing my bodyshop package in savedsimsfolder the bodyshoppackage that is linked witho no resource node and shape but when I check in bodyshop at the custom hair bin I cant find my mesh Please reply!
Test Subject
#225 Old 13th May 2014 at 11:51 PM
Default Awesome Tutorial
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
This thread is strictly for questions about the UniMesh hair mesh editing tutorial found here:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=158048

Please keep the questions related to things covered in that tutorial.

Off-topic questions will be ignored, post them in their own threads.

Where can i download that ponytail you just made? it looks cool
Page 9 of 10