Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 5:19 PM
Default Extra Graphical... Doodahs...
I'm trying to find out how to get the extra graphical doodahs. By Doodahs, I'm referring to the little things like the Snow X-ray, Sparkling blue pool, Fish appearing in your pond.

I know I've seen it somewhere... is it a setting that must be changed? Or a cheat?

Thanks

Yeah... alright, you can PM me to request a house I suppose... Might take a while though as forewarning...
#2 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 5:29 PM
in userStartup.cheat, put boolProp useShaders true

beware tho,I did this and gotthat blue screen!
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 5:36 PM
Ah, that's the cheat. Thanks

Yeah... alright, you can PM me to request a house I suppose... Might take a while though as forewarning...
#4 Old 5th Mar 2007 at 5:52 PM
No problemo
But be careful though,I found that,although it gives loads of graphic goodness,it lags the game for ages (on my computer it did)...mine paused for over 10mins,for no reason what-so-ever.
Now I took it out,the lags are no more than a minute or two
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 12:57 AM
That really stinks that it caused that much of a problem for you callum. The pools are really nice but Ide turn it off for 1o minutes of freezing..Ive turned my computer off for 3 minutes of freeze time...I dont know how you waited for 10.

Take a look at a new sims2 chat site ran by Tease. There are mods and we are working to get teh site off of its feet. You can look around and if you feel like joining that would be great for the site. Thanks

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 1:26 AM
I put it in my game, and when I first went into it after putting it in, it lagged for a bit... but now it does'nt. It lags when it rains, but it did that without the cheat. (It looks sooooo pretty with it!)
Field Researcher
#7 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 1:41 AM
Hmmm... I'd also like to see the fish, but I doubt my GeForce 5500 could handle it. Oh well, I don't know how to do userstartup.cheat anyway.
#8 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 9:24 AM
YEa,I put the cheat in on 2nd play of Seasons.Dina&Nina were fishing so I put the cheat in to see fishies....
Then I went to the Burb house and made them a round-erish pool,and it lagged near the pool,but was worth it,so nice
Anyway,for my birthday,Im alowed upgrades for my computer,so if im allowed like UK170, I could split that to a Graphic Card,Fan/Power Supply, and RAM
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 5:45 PM
WooHoo, you could always just put it in the cheat window in game so you can see how your game runs. I have a GeForce 5200 (worse, I think?) and I can use the shaders fine. It freezes the game up for a few seconds when I put it in though.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 6:42 PM
Even with the cheat my pool doesn;t reflect... it has ripples but no "glassy" look to it...and I don't feel like putting the reflective floor tiles in my pool lol.
#11 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 6:49 PM
How come mine just had all of those things to start with? I didnt have to turn anything on or use a cheat.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 7:02 PM
Ohhh, useshaders! Somebody told me it was enableshaders. I'll probably do it once just to see it, but I'm probably fine without it.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#13 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 7:04 PM
I had the darn snow x-ray... and then I turned it off, and the option disappeared and I can't turn it back on.

I also had fish in my ponds... now new ponds don't get any fish though shaders are on (and shadows too), my card can handle it, and the pond is deep enough that they can fish from them.

Minor glitches, but kinda irritating.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#14 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 7:09 PM
MATY is reporting some memory leaks with the pack. I know very little about them (just the rudimentary google search stuff), could this be causing a problem with rendering the options? Or is this only graphics card dependant?

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#15 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 7:12 PM
Well, my card -definitely- is capable of doing both things as I have had both enabled, and had snow x-ray on to begin with. I don't know why the option simply disappeared, but apparently I'm not the only one to get it, and it's a bit vexing.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
#16 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 9:21 PM
I used to have fish in tanks all the time, until I noticed in OFB I didnt have them........because I remember posting, "OFB changed Graphics' and with shaders on, the symbol above a sims head (like BestFriends, Woohoo, IN Love,Money,etc) are cell shaded,and with shaders and bumpmap turned off (graphicsrules edit) the symbols are 3D....and screwed....
I definately had Xray,and fish,and like HP,the option went off.....Hopefully Maxis&Nvidia make a fix soon!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 9:31 PM
I have no idea why I didnt have pool effects/fish by default. My graphics card is good enough to put all my options to high without lag, even during rain. I put the shaders cheat in my userstartup.cheat and I havent had any problem. In fact, it fixed a problem where rounded pool edges didnt display correctly and had a solid light blue surface.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 9:38 PM
I know this will be a stupid question but what is Snow X-ray?
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by karen40
I know this will be a stupid question but what is Snow X-ray?

Not stupid at all. When you have snow on the ground in-game, your cursor can be used to see through the snow to the ground. Useful for your newpapers, dog toys etc.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 12:15 AM
thanks j030977.
Stupid people are stupid
#21 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 1:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
I had the darn snow x-ray... and then I turned it off, and the option disappeared and I can't turn it back on.

I also had fish in my ponds... now new ponds don't get any fish though shaders are on (and shadows too), my card can handle it, and the pond is deep enough that they can fish from them.

Minor glitches, but kinda irritating.

HP, i only got fish when i turned the shadows on high instead of medium (daysies told me), maybe that will work for you too.
Too bad i need that for the fish to show up. I hate those shadows...