Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old Yesterday at 2:24 PM
Default Keeping Body Data while Exporting from Blender
Hello,

I am using Blender more and more instead of Milkshape 3D for my meshing projects. However, I do still need to use Milkshape for some things (like comments). However, when I import a Sims 2 body GMDC (example: afTopNaked.5gd) into Blender, edit the body mesh (ie, removing unnecessary vertices of the body to prevent clipping) and then export it again to add comments in Milkshape 3D, the body ends up exporting either without data, corrupted, or I get a "too many joints" error in Milkshape.

Does anyone know a fix to this?

I am using this plugin to make it so Blender can import/export .gmdc files.

As the plugin doesn't seem to work on the newest version of Blender, I am using Blender 3.0.0.

Thanks in advance!
CT04.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old Yesterday at 7:38 PM
The Blender plugin doesn't seem to export all the information that MilkShape does. In my experience, morphs don't "transfer" properly, either exploding or not importing. My workaround is to separate the morphs into different meshes (bake the shape keys), import that into MilkShape, and give them the morph comments there.

However, the round-trip isn't necessary unless you have waist seams to fix on your morphs. As you probably know, morphs are handled via shape keys. The morph and bone comments I think are added by the plugin. The transparency sorting information you can add in SimPE instead.

Not sure about the "too many joints" error. I always import the skeleton as well as the mesh into Blender, maybe that fixes it?

(Btw, Nopke updated the plugin to Blender 4+ here. I'm still on 3.6 too, though, so I don't know if it works for everything.)

I'm http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com/ on tumblr, admittedly not very active on MTS.