Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2024 at 10:37 PM
Default WCIF -- A working alternative for NVDIAS DDS Utilities?
Hello all, vampireDaytime here.

Would anyone know of an alternative substitution for the NVIDAS DDS Utility program? For whatever reason, I'm having trouble installing it (as in it isn't installing) from any and every archive available out there. I want to create a personal use default out of RocketHorseSims' Cosmic Conversion Alien Set and was going to follow the years old tutorial by Angelyne for creating defaulted skins. But alas, I cannot proceed past the second step.
So would anyone know of a probable working alternative?
Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum, I'm new to this forum thread stuff.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2024 at 11:52 PM
What exactly are you having issues with? Do you get a Windows warning message when running the install? Or it gets blocked by your antivirus or the firewall? Won't the install program open at all? Does it open, but won't install anywhere, or throws errors?

It's likely Windows or some antivirus program being difficult. Usually you can get around most install issues for regular programs by installing as admin. Right-click EXE, and choose "Run as admin".
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Aug 2024 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
What exactly are you having issues with? Do you get a Windows warning message when running the install? Or it gets blocked by your antivirus or the firewall? Won't the install program open at all? Does it open, but won't install anywhere, or throws errors?

It's likely Windows or some antivirus program being difficult. Usually you can get around most install issues for regular programs by installing as admin. Right-click EXE, and choose "Run as admin".

The problem that I am facing is that the installer (InstallShield Wizard) pops up for a moment as if it's loading the install, but then suddenly drops the command without any further prompts or error messages. I have been looking around my PC to see if it is because of either the built-in Windows Antivirus program, the firewall, or my free trial of Malwarebytes, but turning both off and trying to install results the same.
I have tried running the exe as admin, that was my second solution , but that also results the same with and without protective programs! I have tried to install different programs in the midst of this and they all install just fine, so I have not a clue as to why this specific program refuses to execute and install.