Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2007 at 6:26 AM
Default Help with creating a motor
Can any one help me make a Nissan SR20DET motor (the turbocharged one) for my tuner shop?
if you can I would be forever great full
any input on software and what to do would be very helpful

(this is my first object)

Here are some links for pics:

And maybe a RB26DETT also

Please let me know,
Via Email S14tan@gmail.com
or PM.

Mike
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Nov 2007 at 6:45 AM
A very complex series of shapes like that is going to be quite challenging for a beginner. It's not a good first project - or good third project. It's going to take a lot of skill to be able to render those shapes in 3D as well as know where you can sacrifice detail (as you're going to have to) in order to make it a reasonably low poly count. That takes experience, pure and simple.

However, we do have tutorials on beginner meshing which can get you started - from there it's a matter of learning to manipulate and create primitives in your meshing program of choice, and learning to properly texture map those so your finished mesh doesn't look like mud. Start with the "make a table" tutorial - the start-to finish object creation tutorial, and then go from there. Any of the programs it's shown with would be good to use - I personally use Milkshape as it's quite easy to use and user-friendly (and has its own mapping utility built in) but Wings, Blender, or just about any other program that supports the .obj format will work.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Nov 2007 at 6:51 AM
I didn't realize that it would be so complicated. Thank you so much for your input and the fast reply.

do you think this would be a good project to try after I do the tuts.?

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Nov 2007 at 7:03 AM
Cars? No, absolutely not, especially if you want to make them driveable. Start with something simple - simple, blocky shapes like a table, couch, chairs, etc., so you can learn the basics of meshing simple shapes and mapping them properly. Cars are Very Very Hard. I know it can be tempting to dive right into complex projects but you really have to start with the basics - can't do brain surgery your first day in med school either. Gotta hit the books and learn how to take someone's temperature first.

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...ding_Start_Here

Take a look at that link - it has a lovely flow chart that shows a "modding course" that's good to take and gives you the basis of knowledge you need to get where you want to go. That engine would be a new (static) object mesh - albeit a very advanced and complex one to make - the car would be a new (animated) object mesh - and again, a very advanced and complex one.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Nov 2007 at 12:24 AM
Cool thanks for the link its really helpful!

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Why reinvent the wheel? Dr Pixel has a car engine, here.

Thats the mod that made me want to make the sr20 :D