Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 27th Jan 2013 at 3:21 PM
You'd have to move the family to the family bin, move the house to the subneighborhood, and move the family in from there. It's the act of putting the occupied lot into the bin that shreds the data.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#27 Old 27th Jan 2013 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
It's safe to delete occupied EA lots from the bin - but not occupied EA lots from the 'hood.

Yes, we were talking about bins but it helps to be clear.

Quote: Originally posted by BeckyBoo8
I have never done this, but say you have this family.
-The family lives in the main hood
-Their home is a business
Say you want to move them to the subhood without losing all the furniture and the status of a home business.
Can you move the family into the Occupied Lots bin and put it in the subhood? It's not a different town, just another part.

No - do as Peni says. As soon as you move the occupied lot to the lot bin, the game breaks all relationships with sims outside the lot and, when you place the lot again, will create duplicate sim files of all the sims your sims on the lot ever knew, even slightly and put those in your neighbourhood files - whether it's the same neighbourhood or not. In other words, it's just like deleting sims but with extra sim files (often 50-100 sim files depending on how old and popular your sim was).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 27th Jan 2013 at 5:58 PM
In the neighborhood I'm playing (Been doing it on and off for a year and a half), I deleted some of the bin families before starting and I kind of don't want to start it over since I got pretty far. I was wondering, is there a safe way to clean up any of the excess files from some of the deleted sims?
Site Helper
#29 Old 27th Jan 2013 at 6:37 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 27th Jan 2013 at 7:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
"Improperly cleaned" or "properly cleaned" are very vague phrases, and must be defined clearly-how would you check if the lot is either?
Unfortunately, there is no way to guarantee that an occupied lot is safe. The one exception is the occupied lots which are shipped by EA.

The best option is to clean the lot as well as you can ("the Hard Way" from Game_Help:Moving_Simswiki), then install the lot into a test neighborhood, open the test neighborhood in SimPE to see whether you can find any signs of partial sims (such as unassigned SWAFs), run the HoodChecker to see whether it can find any problems, and test play the game until you have reused all of the sim instances that existed in the original neighborhood (the one that contained the occupied lot). If you can't find anything odd in SimPE, the HoodChecker doesn't find anything, and you don't find any signs of corruption during your test game play, then you might have some reason to believe that the lot is safe. (Note that I didn't suggest that the lot is actually safe.)

This is why we discourage people from sharing occupied lots.

Quote: Originally posted by BeckyBoo8
Can you move the family into the Occupied Lots bin and put it in the subhood? It's not a different town, just another part.
No. That will corrupt your neighborhood twice: once when you move the family into the occupied lots bin, and once when you move the family out of the occupied lots bin.

Quote: Originally posted by McGuire406
In the neighborhood I'm playing (Been doing it on and off for a year and a half), I deleted some of the bin families before starting and I kind of don't want to start it over since I got pretty far. I was wondering, is there a safe way to clean up any of the excess files from some of the deleted sims?
As far as I know, there is no way to be sure that you have cleaned up everything. That said...

I've been told that the Batbox from MATY has an option to clean up incorrectly deleted sims, although I have never tried it and know nothing more about it.

You can also try the HoodChecker "Remove" option, and opening the neighborhood in SimPE and removing anything which is associated with a non-existent Sim Description instance number.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#30 Old 27th Jan 2013 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I've been told that the Batbox from MATY has an option to clean up incorrectly deleted sims, although I have never tried it and know nothing more about it.

Pescado said for a long time that you couldn't completely clean up the mess once it was created. The reason for him adding the delete sim option to the batbox was so that you could delete sims, leaving stump files tidied up (i.e. with no loose ends to attach elsewhere) and even then you have to complete the job in SimPE. The idea was to keep it contained BEFORE you went about deleting the sim. AFAIK, anyway, there's no way to clean up a deleted sim that wasn't deleted2.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#31 Old 28th Jan 2013 at 6:10 AM
I think even with that delete option, it's better to just use the batbox rather than the trash can. I don't know about the smoker metaphor though... last March, my grandma died from lung cancer, and she never smoked in her life.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#32 Old 28th Jan 2013 at 6:40 AM
I think it's better to never delete a sim-ever.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#33 Old 28th Jan 2013 at 7:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I think it's better to never delete a sim-ever.

True - I just live with the sims I create. They make for some nice stories. Even the ones that don't look completely picture perfect can be real sweethearts. Nervous Subject's wife had a baby, and he's very nice and almost completely unlike his daddy - except for his shyness and possibly activity(though I will hafta check him out. I may have Daddy Nervous encourage River to be more serious and active, but I want River to be neat and not fart all over the place and pee in the shower.
Test Subject
#34 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 12:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Clareel
First off, I know not to delete any families from the sim bin who have been played.

If I install the base game, pets, seasons & AL all together on my new laptop, then move e.g. the Ottomans family into riverblossom hills - am I okay to then delete the oottomas family that will still be in the sim bin in other neighbourhoods?

I only want to play with one version of each family, and kind of like them to go where they are intended (even though that's up to the player).

Thanks x

You can delete the families in each of the Neighborhoods, but remember: You will not be able to get it back, but you can get them back when you create a new neighborhood.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 12:39 AM
No, please do not delete the families in each of the neighbourhoods unless you want to mess up your hoods. It doesn't matter if sims have been played or not, deleting them from the bin shreds their files.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#36 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 6:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ninasaur
You can delete the families in each of the Neighborhoods,

Technically true, but it's obvious there are things about how the game works that you don't understand. Did you read what others have said in this thread?

If you're as new to the game as your MTS join date and post count suggest, you might want to do a lot more reading about what's safe and what's not safe to do in the game before making any more declarative statements that directly contradict what the more experienced players have learned the hard way over the years. This would be an excellent place to start: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Hood_Corruption
Mad Poster
#37 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 8:22 AM
Totally. If you want to start out with hoods without the family bin families, download some clean templates from Tarlia's journal - just google 'oh my god it's full of sims'.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 5:48 PM
Tarlia's clean templates have all of the bin families. I use them, and I still have all of the Ottomas, Newson, Traveller etc families. Her templates are clean not empty. She did get rid of some of the older ancestors and some townies in certain neighborhoods, but she did not completely wipe out the bin families.
Test Subject
#39 Old Yesterday at 9:45 PM
;Deleting from the bin does not cause corruption, this is a myth. Their character file is stubbed.
Mad Poster
#40 Old Today at 10:01 AM
Yes, but this wasn't known 11 years ago.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Page 2 of 2